Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptyYesterday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptyYesterday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS...

+46
hairyshowers
itzmecorey
symbiotic
Isreviro
supermusic
Lawski
valderama
alb_ert
Serge
Johnny Drama
Espio
AS54
abetz85
YAER
alphadelta
Grub
Elephantor
IHtryer
Thin in FL
shaftless
rofl
sanderson
Complexx
chubbfrank
dudebro
forum junkie
SW2
Balthier
marku
Xenon
lutz
ferox
Smurfy
SlowMoe
Hoppipolla
Major_Hairloss
bocor
sizzlinghairs
blahblahblah
TNT
KeepGrowin
bobthebuilder
theseeker86
RisingFist
hairisthickening
gonzalito
50 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... Empty Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS...

Post  gonzalito Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 am

After a while without posting in the forum, now I have something interesting to share with you :-)

First of all, I'll show what motivated me to do this experiment (found in an acne forum):

''The pathogenesis of male-pattern-baldness (MPB) is the same as acne. The first step in acne is a condition called follicular-hyperkeratinization or hyperkeratosis. Simply put, this means excess skin production inside and around the hair-follicle. The next step is caused by excess sebum production, followed by P.Acnes infestation of the pilosebaceous-follicle, with subsequent inflammation. So to summarize, MPB, just like acne, is caused by four main factors: (1) follicular-hyperkeratinization, (2) excess sebum production, (3) P.Acnes, and (4) inflammation [1].

Free-IGF-1 (insulin-like-growth-factor-1) stimulates the proliferation of keratinocytes (skin cells below the scalp). As the keratinocytes mature, they migrate to the top of the scalp and become what is known as corneocytes. If all goes well, the corneocytes are supposed to be shed off the scalp in a process called apoptosis. The shedding of corneocytes or the apoptosis of corneocytes, is under the influence of IGFBP-3 (insulin-like-growth-factor-binding-protein-3) and endogenous retinoids. In men with male-pattern-baldness, they have excess free-IGF-1 and not enough IGFBP-3 [2]. The result of this is hyperkeratinization; too much skin production, and not enough skin exfoliation. This causes the hair-follicle to be blocked by excess skin. Free-IGF-1 is required for keratinocyte proliferation in humans [3] and too much IGF-1 results in hyperkeratosis [4].

So, in order to reverse hyperkeratosis, exfoliating the scalp is needed. Using glycolic-acid topically is suggested. Glycolic-acid is what's called an alpha-hydroxy-acid. Alpha-hydroxy-acids are shown to diminish corneocyte cohesion, induce exfoliation and reverse hyperkeratosis. This should promote regrowth.

My experience: for the last 3 weeks, I've been using a 20% glycolic-acid lotion on my scalp every other day. In between days of scalp peel, I massage the scalp with a cheap body massager (sample: http://shopping-digital.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Masajeador-TURBO.jpg) in order to remove the dead-skin-cell "build-up" from my scalp. The massager does the job properly: while massaging, you could see dead skin falling as snow!

The results: I´m regrowing hair in areas where I thought it never would regrow again... It´s really an interesting approach and I am eager to see better results with each successive peeling...

I was wondering to try a 30% concentration, although it´s better to stick with "don´t fix it if ain´t broke" Wink

A recent pic of my receding hairline:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/18/53/74/41/captur10.jpg

Last edited by gonzalito on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... Empty Re: Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS...

Post  hairisthickening Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow thats cool. anyone else try this?

hairisthickening

Back to top Go down

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... Empty Re: Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS...

Post  RisingFist Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Sounds like another reason for Detumescence therapy. Also, many who have started the recent dermarolling trial have reported excess shedding of dead skin and reporting new hair. I see a connection here. I think we're very close to figuring this out and just a matter of using the right application into practice and we should get results.

RisingFist

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Try it, guys... You have nothing to lose but about USD 10 (that´s what I spent) Wink

It´s interesting to point out that, in the pic, you could see some "isolated" hairs, far from the receding hairline... In fact, those are part of the new ones, and the interesting thing is that they are located, more or less, where my hairline was before hairloss took place...

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:06 pm

I get a error when viewing that link to the massager.

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  bobthebuilder Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:11 pm

gonzalito wrote:After a while without posting in the forum, now I have something interesting to share with you :-)

First of all, I'll show what motivated me to do this experiment (found in an acne forum):

''The pathogenesis of male-pattern-baldness (MPB) is the same as acne. The first step in acne is a condition called follicular-hyperkeratinization or hyperkeratosis. Simply put, this means excess skin production inside and around the hair-follicle. The next step is caused by excess sebum production, followed by P.Acnes infestation of the pilosebaceous-follicle, with subsequent inflammation. So to summarize, MPB, just like acne, is caused by four main factors: (1) follicular-hyperkeratinization, (2) excess sebum production, (3) P.Acnes, and (4) inflammation [1].

Free-IGF-1 (insulin-like-growth-factor-1) stimulates the proliferation of keratinocytes (skin cells below the scalp). As the keratinocytes mature, they migrate to the top of the scalp and become what is known as corneocytes. If all goes well, the corneocytes are supposed to be shed off the scalp in a process called apoptosis. The shedding of corneocytes or the apoptosis of corneocytes, is under the influence of IGFBP-3 (insulin-like-growth-factor-binding-protein-3) and endogenous retinoids. In men with male-pattern-baldness, they have excess free-IGF-1 and not enough IGFBP-3 [2]. The result of this is hyperkeratinization; too much skin production, and not enough skin exfoliation. This causes the hair-follicle to be blocked by excess skin. Free-IGF-1 is required for keratinocyte proliferation in humans [3] and too much IGF-1 results in hyperkeratosis [4].

So, in order to reverse hyperkeratosis, exfoliating the scalp is needed. Using glycolic-acid topically is suggested. Glycolic-acid is what's called an alpha-hydroxy-acid. Alpha-hydroxy-acids are shown to diminish corneocyte cohesion, induce exfoliation and reverse hyperkeratosis. This should promote regrowth.

My experience: for the last 3 weeks, I've been using a 20% glycolic-acid lotion on my scalp every other day. In between days of scalp peel, I massage the scalp with a cheap body massager (sample: http://shopping-digital.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Masajeador-TURBO.jpg) in order to remove the dead-skin-cell "build-up" from my scalp. The massager does the job properly: while massaging, you could see dead skin falling as snow!

The results: I´m regrowing hair in areas where I thought it never would regrow again... It´s really an interesting approach and I am eager to see better results with each successive peeling...

I was wondering to try a 30% concentration, although it´s better to stick with "don´t fix it if ain´t broke" Wink

A recent pic of my receding hairline:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/18/53/74/41/captur10.jpg
Similar concept to scratching your scalp each day with a brush, or what the other guys where doing sometime back with DMSO and Papain.

How much of a peel are you getting? Possible to post a picture of the peel? and how many days till you see the dead skin falling off?

Congrats on your success.
bobthebuilder
bobthebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... Masajeador-TURBO

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  KeepGrowin Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Which lotion are you using, and how long do you use the massager?

KeepGrowin

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 am

could you link the glycolic acid solution?

Any burning sensation or skin irritation?

TNT

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 am

The lotion I use is just plain simple 20% glycolic acid... I bought it in a cosmetics products shop, here in Buenos Aires, for about USD 10... And it seems it will last for a pretty good time...

Anyway, you could find it on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=glycolic+acid&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.Xglycolic+acid+20&_nkw=glycolic+acid+20&_sacat=0

In my case, there´s no burning sensation or skin irritation in the scalp with the 20% solution... That´s why I was wondering to try a 30% solution in order to speed up the process...

The massaging sessions are between 5-10 min per day... The scalp really gets an intensive "workout" with this massager... It ends up very red :-)

BTW, for the massager I paid about USD 30...

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 am

How do you came to conclusion for applying it every second day? Did you researching on this? And for how long will be safe?
If you switch to 30% will you still stay at every second day?
Thanks for your reply

TNT

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:31 am

You see, TNT... My original idea was to go to a cosmetologist and ask for a deep peeling (chemical or mechanical) in the scalp... But the reality is that no one (I asked for this to 3 cosmetologists, under my responsability) encourages a peeling of the scalp... Donn´t ask me why, maybe it´s just something "unusual" for them... Buy they DO insist you offering mesotherapy! Razz 

Then, I had to manage on my own...

So I started looking for glycolic acid facial treatments, to learn about concentrations, exposure times, etc... with the idea that what it works on face, should work the same on scalp...

After research, I´ve found that the 20% concentration was the safest to try at first... At 20%, is often called a "progressive or passive peeling"... You could use it even daily and don´t remove it ... It doesn´t stink, it doesn´t burn... You can only tell it´s working when dead skin begins to fall...

But in the case you would want to try a higher concentration to speed up the process, let´s say 50%, then you have to take some care:

1) Limit the exposure to 10-15 minutes (inhibiting the acid by washing with water and bicarbonate)... And limit the application to once a week...
2) Use sunscreen ALL THE TIME, while you are on the peeling; otherwise, you could get some sunspots in your scalp...
3) With this high concentrations, dead skin begins to fall inmediately and in copious amounts, so it´s not recommended in terms of "aesthetic" appeal... You´ll like a lizard peeling off...

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 am

gonzalito wrote:
But in the case you would want to try a higher concentration to speed up the process, let´s say 50%, then you have to take some care:

1) Limit the exposure to 10-15 minutes (inhibiting the acid by washing with water and bicarbonate)... And limit the application to once a week...
2) Use sunscreen ALL THE TIME, while you are on the peeling; otherwise, you could get some sunspots in your scalp...
3) With this high concentrations, dead skin begins to fall inmediately and in copious amounts, so it´s not recommended in terms of "aesthetic" appeal... You´ll like a lizard peeling off...
that's scary....i live in sunny Country. i must be caution and for 30%?
Because i am thinking starting from 30% .
Brushing and dermaroller has gave me some kind of exfoliation already, so maybe 30% will be better for starting...?

TNT

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 am

See... Here in my country spring time has arrived, so I will also be exposed to sun... but I think a 30% concentration won´t be a problem... I also would like to up to 30% and maybe will just be enough to use a cap while on the peeling...

By the way, besides the peeling I would like to say that it is likely that the massage itself has also contributed to my recovery, since it relaxes the galea and probably improves circulation there...

As you see, it´s something very simple and cheap to try!

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 am

thank you, i will give it a shot. 30% every second or third day

TNT

Back to top Go down

Post  blahblahblah Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:12 am

I'm using retin-a and used to use glycolic acid (8%) on my bald spots. Right now I'm doing lots of "anti-fungals."

I once was working on my skin and did a gelatin mask and it literally ripped the hair out of my head...but if it did that it probably also ripped out skin gunk.

I now think hairloss is either some form of acne or buildup of skin.

blahblahblah

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:28 pm

I´ve just ordered a 35% concentration... Will keep you updated!

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  TNT Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:47 pm

gonzalito, by searching i also saw tca peel, have you ever check on that? Some users says that they saw better results with this, but it looks a little dangerous...What's your opinion?
Thx

TNT

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:06 am

TCA is supposed to be the "expert level"... I have understood that it stinks tremendously... In fact, in high concentrations, TCA is used as an aid to remove tattoos!... Anyway, in peelings is always better to go gradually, testing the resistance of your skin...

In my case, I started with 20% and now bought a 35%... When finished with this, I'll see to go up to 50%... And only after that, think about TCA (no more than 15-25%)

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 am

Do you think it would be ok to:

1)dermaroll 1 day a week
2) 20% glycolic acid peel every other day
3) brush daily (including same day of peels, say peel in morning, brush night?)
Or maybe brush on the days off of peel? Hmm, that would leave like 2-3 days brushing only..

Is the above too much?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:29 am

sizzlinghairs,

I prefer to let the acid act for at least 24 hs; and then brush or massage to remove the dead skin... The warnings of let it only 10-15 minutes apply only to face peelings... And of course, if you try to go higher than 50%...

Anyway, as you go up with the % of glycolic, dead skin begins to fall even without the help of brushing or massaging... I tested this in the facial peelings of my gf...

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Scalp peeling with 20% glycolic acid: GREAT RESULTS... Empty gonzalito

Post  bocor Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am

im curious what kind of new growth are you experiencing? is it vellous hair or pigmented? and just a few hairs in bald areas or lots?also how long were you bald in these ares previously? thx!

bocor

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzalito Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:03 am

I´ve been bald in these spots for the last 5 years... New hair is sprouting in random places in what used to be my former hairline...

I forgot to say that I shave my head every other week, in order to better see the effects of the peeling...

Besides regrowth, usual hair is becoming thicker...

I guess it should take SEVERAL peelings and with different concentrations to see greater results... What I´ve achieved with the 20% concentration is nice and promising results, but if I want more results I should reach deeper layers of dead skin, thus I´d need higher concentrations...

I mean, don´t expect to see superb results with just 20% glycolic... Go slowly upping the strenght, reaching deeper layers of skin, unclogging pores...

On Monday I´ll start with 35%... Will keep you updated!!

gonzalito

Back to top Go down

Post  Major_Hairloss Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm wondering if doing peels + dermarolling is playing with fire?

Has anyone done peels and dermarolled in the same period?

I'm currently trying to - sort of - follow the Indian study with a 1.5mm dermaroller and Minoxidil.
But I seem to recall that Follica used some sort of peeling cream as well (not 100% sure on this).

So, maybe dermarolling + peeling is wonderful..... on the other hand, it might just kill the scalp. Neutral 

Any thoughts?
Major_Hairloss
Major_Hairloss

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Hm, how very interesting Smile

I had no idea that this "hyperkeratinization" was or could be involved O.O

I have worked out that sebum, gunky build-up, galea muscles and infection are all important parts of the process (I am currently using grapefruit seed extract daily) but this is news to me.

I have heard of people having success with exfoliants though like a brand of T-Gel that has salicylic acid in it.

How long do you massage for?

And what changes, if any, would you suggest for somebody with long hair?

I get awful dandruff along with my MPB so I always assumed that the infection I have up there is fungal not bacterial?

Thanks a lot dude - and well done and congrats!

Hoppi Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next