Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Beginning my oil pulling journey

+35
TrueGround
Orchid
duel_black
RisingFist
theseeker86
jeruslan
MilBA
Espio
Silverlin
goten574
JeetKuneDo
whodathunkit
bh2o
Delphine
mike78
Prague
thissucks
LooseGroove
CausticSymmetry
Mastery
sdguy
Yanks
hapyman
phoenix21
hadrion
scottyc33
TexasMedicine
imprisoned-radical
9rugrats5
dadon
pancacke
Quisque
Columbo
Smurfy
Hairbeback
39 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 Empty Re: Beginning my oil pulling journey

Post  Delphine Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:32 pm

imprisoned-radical wrote:Would oil pulling mitigate the problems associated with root canals?

YES!
That's one of the best things about oil pulling. Here is an excerpt from the oil pulling forum at curezone:

"Most teeth that have decayed, whether or not they were treated with fillings or root canals, have hidden infections, which generally become systemic throughout the body by suppressing the immune system etc, thus contributing to many other health problems.

Six weeks ago I had probably 3 or more tooth infections at the tooth roots. I've had those infections for over ten years. I never tried medications, but the herbs I tried were never able to penetrate that deeply. But after a few days of OP I could tell the infections were already fading away. Gums stopped bleeding and became less tender and gum blisters began to shrink. Now it seems that the infections are almost complete gone.

I now have reason to suspect that OP can remove and kill bacteria even deep within tooth roots and within the tiny tubules in jaw bone where bacteria from decayed areas like to migrate and proliferate. If true, it means there's finally a real cure possible for systemic infection and for suppressed immune defenses. And the cure is OP.

So the word needs to reach everyone who has had any tooth decay, fillings, crowns, root canals, or broken or missing teeth, first, that they have hidden tooth and jaw infections that contribute to other health problems and, second, that OP is the best known means to wipe out the infections."

I myself have noticed that the gums over a root-canaled tooth would bleed easily on occasion. When I am doing OP, that doesn't happen. Very Happy

Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Beginning my oil pulling journey - Page 4 Empty Re: Beginning my oil pulling journey

Post  whodathunkit Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:37 am

Prague, really good news regarding the time limit! Thank you! I had started doing it every morning, and liked how it made my mouth feel, but gave up b/c of the time factor. Circumstances are such that I just don't have time to keep my mouth closed for that long. Very Happy But from the article CS posted it looks like the sweet spot is between 10-15 minutes. That extra 10 minutes makes a difference for me.

I sneezed this morning while doing it, too. I didn't spew, but it kinda hurt. LOL

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  sdguy Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:35 am

Not sure why people think 5-10 minutes is enough time when all the oil pulling sites say 10-15 or 15-20 minutes. Plus, the study Brian posted had the subjects swish for 15 minutes before spitting in Phase 2 and noted the following:

Under the microscope, in the 5-minute sample the oil remained as relatively large globules. Very less number of Gram-positive bacteria and fibrous foreign particles were seen. As time progressed from 10 to 15 minutes, the oil droplets became smaller, more colonies of Gram-positive bacteria and few squamous epithelial cells were seen. The decrease in size of the oil globules was a clear indication of the ongoing emulsification process. From 15 to 30 minutes there was progressive reduction of oil globule size but after 25 minutes only isolated bacteria were visible. The sediments in the bottom layer of the final collected sample had squamous epithelial cells and oral debris. The middle soapy layer had more of isolated bacteria and the top layer was purely oil globules. From the present study it may be inferred that the emulsification process of oil started in 5 minutes after oil-pulling therapy. The emulsification was a result of the agitation of the oil in the mouth because of the swishing process and this process may be responsible for the formation of a soapy layer. The emulsification process could alter the adhesion of the bacteria on the tooth surface, remove the superficial worn-out squamous cells and improve oral hygiene.

I'm sticking with 15-20 minutes, which is pretty easy for me when I do the oil first thing in the morning while I check email and take a shower.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 am

Yeah, I find the 15-20 min. to be a breeze first thing in the a.m.
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:00 am

Delphine wrote:

Yeah, I find the 15-20 min. to be a breeze first thing in the a.m.

I agree, I find it's really easy for me also. I start just before taking a shower, and when I'm at end of my shower, I'm finished.

All the evidence I've seen per the research points to oil pulling mitigating infection. This is a must I think for anyone
with problems in the oral cavity.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:56 am

whodathunkit wrote:Prague, really good news regarding the time limit! Thank you! I had started doing it every morning, and liked how it made my mouth feel, but gave up b/c of the time factor. Circumstances are such that I just don't have time to keep my mouth closed for that long. Very Happy But from the article CS posted it looks like the sweet spot is between 10-15 minutes. That extra 10 minutes makes a difference for me.

I sneezed this morning while doing it, too. I didn't spew, but it kinda hurt. LOL

you're welcome. One of the principles it's based on is the saliva production that binds to the "oily" part and thus ionizing it via the bicarbonates present in it. Saliva production/absorbtion is a health remedy per se, cigar smoking and its positive effect are based on the same principle, its actrually enzymes pourring to your bloodstrem. This is the reason why we have to chew (ionize) in order to get the benefit from acidic environment in the stomach. When you put a bicarbonate a lemon juice you can get an idea how energy is generated, same happens in your body. In the case of OP, the oil works as a carrier for the bicarbonates to the bloodstream and tissues. This is how it works. Fasting is basically the same principle.

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  mike78 Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the replies regarding metal fillings - I genuinely appreciate the advice.

Hypothetically speaking, would there be any risk in pulling for longer than the typical 15-30 minutes per day? For example, if you did 4-5 twenty minute sessions back-to-back-to-back, etc. (but spitting, rinsing, and refilling with new oil after every 20 minutes), would you see similar results, but in a fraction of the usual timeframe? I'm just thinking that if great results are achieved after one month of pulling, which equates to roughly 600 minutes of actual pulling time, if a person were obsessive enough to do the 600 minutes over, say, one week, isn't it essentially the same thing?

It might seem annoying / overwhelming to some, but I really don't mind the pulling process, and it wouldn't be that much of an ordeal to do while watching a movie or doing something that doesn't require talking.

Thanks,
Mike

mike78

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:21 am

An interesting observation this morning. I woke up hungover, from too much drinking last night, and I took the oil as usual, but it would not turn to the watery texture that I am used too--I'm used to it turning watery in less than a minute of swishing, but it would not. It remained very oily for the first time since I have started oil pulling and the only factor that I can think of is the alcohol that is still in my system.

Not sure what happen.scratch
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:58 am

When I got back into oil pulling after a long absence, my first "pulls" would not thin out, they were thick and gray. I had been drinking regularly over the summer, although I never got a hangover. Just a glass or two of wine, or a beer, but daily consumption was enough to toxify my body, apparently. Along with coffee and other indulgences. I'm off coffee and alcohol now, and looking/feeling a lot better.
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 am

That's interesting... I just started drinking again on the weekends and I've been drinking coffee pretty much everyday for a while. I'm at my best when I don't drink any of the two. I hope to phase out coffee soon and keep alcohol consumption to a minimum. This experience with the OP is another in a long list of good reason to be responsible with alcohol consumption.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Yes, it certainly was a wake-up call for me when I got back on oil pulling again. I could not deny the evidence that I literally needed to "clean up my act." btw I had been smoking (not tobacco) on occasion also. I think all these things are detrimental to our oral health as well as our hair and overall well-being. That said, I never say never. The problem is that it's easy to make a habit of drinking, coffee etc. So the challenge is to form new healthy habits, like oil pulling, and save the indulgences for once-in-a-while treats, or if that's not possible, forgo them entirely.

P.S. To Mike who posted about doing 4-5 oil pulls back-to-back, I consulted with a longtime OP practitioner and he said:

I don't think you'd see much more benefit than pulling once or twice a day. For me too much pulling make my teeth feel sensitive. I wouldn't do it for a prolonged period of time, and again think you'll see better results just doing it once or twice a day tops.

Think he's right ...
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  JeetKuneDo Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:32 am

Dont know if I do this the right way. My extra virgin coconut oil is stimulating my saliva production and after a few minutes it feels as if I only swish around saliva, maybe it's just my feeling? However this increase in saliva production should, just like gum, send signals to the stomach that food is on it's way and therefor "waste" some enzymes?

JeetKuneDo

Back to top Go down

Post  mike78 Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 am

Thanks for the follow up, Delphine.

Much appreciated.

mike78

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:41 am

JeetKuneDo wrote:Dont know if I do this the right way. My extra virgin coconut oil is stimulating my saliva production and after a few minutes it feels as if I only swish around saliva, maybe it's just my feeling? However this increase in saliva production should, just like gum, send signals to the stomach that food is on it's way and therefor "waste" some enzymes?

Jeet - sounds like it's working correctly. The oil usually thins out in my mouth after a few minutes of swishing. Some people think you should continue for 20 minutes and others think once the oil thins out you're done. It's up to you when you want to stop.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:18 am

Delphine wrote:Yes, it certainly was a wake-up call for me when I got back on oil pulling again. I could not deny the evidence that I literally needed to "clean up my act." btw I had been smoking (not tobacco) on occasion also. I think all these things are detrimental to our oral health as well as our hair and overall well-being. That said, I never say never. The problem is that it's easy to make a habit of drinking, coffee etc. So the challenge is to form new healthy habits, like oil pulling, and save the indulgences for once-in-a-while treats, or if that's not possible, forgo them entirely.

P.S. To Mike who posted about doing 4-5 oil pulls back-to-back, I consulted with a longtime OP practitioner and he said:

I don't think you'd see much more benefit than pulling once or twice a day. For me too much pulling make my teeth feel sensitive. I wouldn't do it for a prolonged period of time, and again think you'll see better results just doing it once or twice a day tops.

Think he's right ...

Thanks for sharing.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 am

bh2o wrote:
Delphine wrote:Yes, it certainly was a wake-up call for me when I got back on oil pulling again. I could not deny the evidence that I literally needed to "clean up my act." btw I had been smoking (not tobacco) on occasion also. I think all these things are detrimental to our oral health as well as our hair and overall well-being. That said, I never say never. The problem is that it's easy to make a habit of drinking, coffee etc. So the challenge is to form new healthy habits, like oil pulling, and save the indulgences for once-in-a-while treats, or if that's not possible, forgo them entirely.

Think he's right ...

Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.

We do have to make some 'sacrifices' in the short-term if we truly desire optimum well-being for ourselves. In time though, we realize that this is really the best 'high' of all!
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Delphine wrote:
bh2o wrote:

Think he's right ...

Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.

We do have to make some 'sacrifices' in the short-term if we truly desire optimum well-being for ourselves. In time though, we realize that this is really the best 'high' of all!

I feel the same way.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 am

Excerpt from the wikipedia article on sublingual administration of drugs:

Sublingual, literally 'under the tongue', from Latin, refers to the pharmacological route of administration by which drugs diffuse into the blood through tissues under the tongue. Many pharmaceuticals are designed for sublingual administration, including cardiovascular drugs, steroids, barbiturates, enzymes, and increasingly, vitamins and minerals.

Principle

When a chemical comes in contact with the mucous membrane beneath the tongue, or buccal mucosa, it diffuses through it. Because the connective tissue beneath the epithelium contains a profusion of capillaries, the substance then diffuses into them and enters the venous circulation. In contrast, substances absorbed in the intestines are subject to "first pass metabolism" in the liver before entering the general circulation.

Sublingual administration has certain advantages over oral administration. Being more direct, it is often faster, and it ensures that the substance will risk degradation only by salivary enzymes before entering the bloodstream, whereas orally administered drugs must survive passage through the hostile environment of the gastrointestinal tract, which risks degrading them, either by stomach acid or bile, or by the many enzymes therein, such as monoamine oxidase (MAO). Furthermore, after absorption from the gastrointestinal tract, such drugs must pass to the liver, where they may be extensively altered; this is known as the first pass effect of drug metabolism. Due to the digestive activity of the stomach and intestines and the solubility of the GI tract, the oral route is unsuitable for certain substances, such as salvinorin A .

Substance

Almost any form of substance may be amenable to sublingual administration if it dissolves easily in saliva. Powders and aerosols may all take advantage of this method. However, a number of factors, such as pH, molecular weight, and lipid solubility, may determine whether the route is practical. Based on these properties, a suitably soluble drug may diffuse too slowly through the mucosa to be effective. However, many drugs are much more potent taken sublingually, and it is generally a safer alternative to administration via the nasal mucosa. Many people are forced by the high cost of pharmaceuticals to split their pills and take them sublingually. One drawback, however, is tooth discoloration and decay caused by long-term use of this method with acidic or otherwise caustic drugs and fillers.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:20 am

I've been doing this once a day, everyday for 1 and a half weeks (10-15 minutes each time with Coconut Oil). Must I do this everyday for the rest of my life? I am doing this to kill possible bacteria in my mouth and to whiten my teeth.
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:48 am

Now that many of us are oil pulling for better oral health, and the consequent reduction in pathogens, I'd like to bring the attention to another similar practice recommended by Ayurvedic practitioners. No first hand experience here, but I've posted about 'Nasya' before, and have seen it recommended as a cleansing practice before the ayurvedic practitioner gets about prescribing medications for hair loss.

Hardly an authoritative link, but a page that mentions this for hair loss-
http://www.ayushman.in/nasya_treatment.html

It seems that the argument for ridding the oral cavity of pathogens can be extended to the nasal cavity as well. Cleaning the nasal cavity and sinuses gently with a few drops of medicated oil (or even plain vanilla sesame oil) can only help in clearing up the pathogens even further. Food for thought. I'm planning on starting to do this.

The instructions I have seen for doing this are simple. Insert 4-6 drops of medicated sesame oil in both nostrils. Lie down for a few minutes. Then spit out any oil that collects at the back of the throat. Rinse mouth and nose. Do this for a week and then discontinue. This can be done every 2-3 months to gently cleanse the nasal passage.

Imo, this could be done around the time one does OP.
cheers.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:20 am

Thanks for the tip. What do you put in the oil to medicate it?
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Delphine, here is the earlier post I made that I referred to-
https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t5203-nasal-cavity-cleanse

It is not easy to medicate the oils on our own, as they are ayurvedic formulations that include infusing the oils with herbs (mostly spicy, astringent herbs, in this case I believe). The two oil formulations names for the purpose are in the above post. However, both of them are prepared in sesame oil, and I have read that even plain sesame oil can be used for the purpose, although the cleaning action will be milder. To buttress this point, I will also mention that plain sesame oil is also recommended to clean the ear canal in ayurveda.

Needless to stress, the sesame oil used for the purpose should be organic, additive free, and preferably cold pressed.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:23 am

IME combined with a friends experience, sesame oil is the most effective. Coconut oil is good, but i found it didn't have the same drawing power that the sesame seemed to have.

My friend had an infection in her gums and jaw bone, the coconut oil after a month or so did not do much to dissipate the infection by any significant margin. Upon using the sesame oil for only a week there was a noticeable positive change in how much the infection reduced.

I believe coconut oil is probably better locally, like for teeth whitening and so forth, but the sesame oil better for pulling out deeper stuff.
Silverlin
Silverlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:07 am

Silverlin wrote:IME combined with a friends experience, sesame oil is the most effective. Coconut oil is good, but i found it didn't have the same drawing power that the sesame seemed to have.

My friend had an infection in her gums and jaw bone, the coconut oil after a month or so did not do much to dissipate the infection by any significant margin. Upon using the sesame oil for only a week there was a noticeable positive change in how much the infection reduced.

I believe coconut oil is probably better locally, like for teeth whitening and so forth, but the sesame oil better for pulling out deeper stuff.

The word over at the curezone OP forum is that coconut oil is powerful stuff. Excerpt from an article about coconut oil:

Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal (kills yeast too) and antibacterial. It attacks and kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as herpes, HIV, hepatitis C, the flu, and mononucleosis. It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, sore throats, dental cavities, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, food poisoning, pneumonia, and many, many more bacterial infections. It kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause candida, ringworm, athletes foot, thrush, jock itch, diaper rash and more.

Extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO) is best for oil pulling. Maybe your friend wasn't using that.
Also, it's good to switch oils from time to time. The fact that she got results after changing to sesame doesn't mean she wasn't benefiting from the coconut oil as well.

My two sense Smile
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Delphine - Coconut Oil is great stuff. I'm aware other people have had success with it, but based on my own experience and a friends experience it didn't seem as powerful as the sesame oil.

My friend was having success with the sesame before, then switched to the coconut, but it wasn't as effective. It wasn't until switching back that progress continued. (Btw, the coconut oil that was used was certified organic extra virgin.)

With deep tissue infections or more potent underlying issues, I personally would go with sesame oil, based on my experience and from what I have witnessed. With regards to oil pulling, coconut has probably other benefits, most likely more effective at the local level.

I believe people will generally find a greater herxheimer reaction from the sesame rather than coconut oil.

Also Keep in mind for what it's worth, ayurveda only recommends sesame and sunflower oil for oil pulling.
Silverlin
Silverlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next