Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss

+16
Gibson
Prague
Warren
MMAfighter
gbp2000
lund
jksl
Petch
lukso
Amaranthaceae
opeth88
kijumn
Misirlou
Espio
curt504
CausticSymmetry
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss Empty Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:40 pm

For several years at one time or another I thought that it would make sense if the thyroid is significantly involved in most forms of hair loss. But if so, why wouldn't the medical establishment acknowledge it?

I believe the answer is that thyroid problems (under and over active) are overwhelmingly undiagnosed, despite frequent and routine testing saying otherwise. Myself and my family have never been diagnosed with thyroid problems, yet some of them have had some symptoms of thyroid problems.

Before providing some plausibility to this hypothesis, first let's take a look what thyroid dysfunction causes (relative to hair loss).

Under performing thyroid is strongly correlated with elevated Lp(a) which is not only linked with androgenetic alopecia, but seems quite probably tied in with DKK-1, a highly negative protein associated with DHT triggered hair loss.

Both insufficient and excess levels of thyroid hormones T3 and/or T4 can result in hair loss. For example, T4 prolongs the duration of the hair growth phase (anagen) possibly due to the down-regulation of TGF-beta2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18728176

Over active thyroid creates an environment of high reactive oxygen species (free radicals).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19540741

Metabolic syndrome, which is a state of high free radicals and insulin resistance are highly correlated with hypothyroidism.

Low thyroid is strongly correlated with heart disease, so is hair loss.

Inflammation is widespread in thyroid diseases.

Low or over active thyroid can be influenced through iodine intake. There are a great many external influences that can negatively effect thyroid function. Some examples are fluoridation (By the way the EPA is finally considering a moratorium on municipal fluoridation nationwide), bromide (found in bread, soft drinks and some sports drinks), synthetic estrogens, heavy metal contamination, and anything hard on the liver is also thyroid suppressive.

Since it is estimated that as many as 70% of the world (perhaps more) has less than optimal levels of iodine it would not be a surprise considering the influences mentioned above. Iodine is required for proper conversion of T3 from T4.
Also many who are using synthetic T4 actually can acquire hair loss, mostly likely since synthetic T4 inhibits iodine.

I should mentioned that low iron (a problem generally rare in men, but not uncommon in women) can inhibit conversion T3 from T4 also.

Also note that thyroid disease can be caused from a deficiency of copper, which causes an excess storage of iron. A very high copper level can also cause thyroid problems and hair loss too.

This is far from a complete dissertation but am throwing it out there as I think it is odd that hair loss is just a "normal" process.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss Empty Re: Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss

Post  curt504 Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi CS,

I have an electronic book sold by http://www.thyroid-info.com/hair/ Thyroid guide to hair loss author Mary Shomon but today this site is down or is gone. It mentions both hypo and hyper-thyroidism as hair loss causes. My wife has experienced hair loss at both extremes. Her research also finds the low iron (ferritin) connections as well.

tnx for this overview post.

curt

curt504

Back to top Go down

Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss Empty Re: Hypothesis of Male Pattern Hair Loss

Post  Espio Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:57 am

I was about to say, this theory does not explain why the Japanese started going bald when they adopted the western diet (I figured it was because western diet has a lot more meat which causes heart disease).

Then I realized, Japs would eat a lot of seafood which would keep their iodine up.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 am

Which tests would reveal the condition of thyroids?

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:20 am

Great info CausticSymmetry!

What's interesting is if you apply lugol's iodine to your scalp, itching will 80 - 100% completely disappear in an hour or two, and lasts that way for a couple of days, IME.

"Every cell in the human body requires iodine for regulation to function." also "Every cell in the body contains and utilizes iodine" With the high prevelance of hypothyroidism I could see how the scalp would be one of the last places iodine would get to.

One of the heloise tricks is to apply iodine to your fingernails to thicken them and there are a lot of people that says it works. I'm going off memory but it's recommended after a couple weeks or months (I forget) that you only apply the iodine no more than once per week after otherwise can thin the nails.

Here is a quote of topical iodine for hair loss ""In Mexico, some people have used iodine as a means of preventing baldness. One woman used iodine for years as a preventive measure against baldness. She used it as a rinse after washing her hair. Another woman told me to "cure" a bald spot by dabbing iodine on the bald spot or area of thinning hair. After a while, a crust will form. Eventually, beneath the crust fine hairs will start to grow. She said it can take about three months to see the results" http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/iodine_questions.html#Question_526

I know you were mentioning taking iodine internally, but I thought this information would be useful for anyone that wants to experiment.

BTW, I've taken lugol's for over 1 1/2 years and I recently bought Nascent Iodine from here http://www.thyroidnascentiodine.com/comparison.htm and I also bought L tyrosine and I may buy some glandulars based on the information of hypothroidism on Lp (a) levels. I figured, I'm already attacking this with everything that I've got.

What's very reassuring is that I've developed these pimple like bumps on my scalp. In the past, when I've developed these red bumps on my scalp, regrowth occured. Again, not sure if it's from combating Lp (a), high doses of Serrapeptase/Nattokinase or everything else that I'm taking to combat heart disease but there is something to the regime I outlined on the DKK-1 thread.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:22 am

The influence of hypothyroidism on haemostasis is controversial; both hypocoagulable and hypercoagulable states have been reported. Hypothyroidism has been associated with atherosclerosis; a hypercoagulable state in addition might represent a risk factor for thromboembolic disease. The aim of the present study was to investigate the markers of endogenous coagulation and vascular endothelial cell function and to evaluate the relationship between serum lipid profile, thyroid hormones and haemostatic parameters in hypothyroid patients. We investigated various haemostatic parameters in 20 patients with hypothyroidism and compared them with 20 euthyroid controls. The relationship between serum thyroid hormones and the haemostatic parameters was examined. The plasma levels of fibrinogen, AT III and PAI-1 were significantly increased in hypothyroid patients compared with the control group, whereas factors VIII and X activity was decreased. We showed that free T3 levels correlated with factor IX activity. Free T4, FT3 and TSH did not correlate with fibrinogen, vWF, AT III, t-PA, or PAI-1. aPTT correlated inversely with t-PA activity and positively with protein C activity. Anti-Tg correlated inversely with FV. There was a positive correlation between triglycerides and protein C. Protein S correlated inversely with high density lipoprotein cholesterol. We found a hypofibrinolytic state in patients with hypothyroidism. Our results suggest that the risk of developing thrombosis and ultimately myocardial infarction via high PAI-1 levels may be increased in patients with hypothyroidism, a result in line with recent epidemiological data. However, thyroid hormones may play a role at different levels of the complex haemostatic system.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14618667
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 am

jdp710 - Thanks for posting that info! If hypercoagulation is a factor in hair loss, your current experiment with lumbrokinase and other should be pretty interesting. When I added Ecklonia to my regimen in '07 I noticed a positive change and had wondered since that time if coagulation was a factor and it seems in light of all the recent threads that it is.

If Dr. David Brownstein's research is correct and it probably is considering he has tested over 3,000 patients with iodine, it is a bit of an irony that it is so difficult to find good information on iodine in the scientific literature, but also not surprising given that most of the medical community considers iodine to be dangerous in the amounts I casually drop into my water every day.

In Dr. David Brownstein's practice he has found that over 95% of those tested have demonstrated low iodine levels.
Dr. Brownstein says, “In all my years of practicing medicine, I have yet to see one item provide such miraculous effects on the body as iodine does.”
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  opeth88 Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:08 am

in terms of hair, is lower iron "good," and high amounts of iron "bad?"

opeth88

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 am

opeth88 wrote:in terms of hair, is lower iron "good," and high amounts of iron "bad?"

For a male, yes. According to Mercola.com you want to keep your ferritin under 100. The average male meat eater has about 160 ferritin.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/03/10/iron-diabetes-part-two.aspx

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:43 am

With regular use of stabilized R-Lipoic acid, I have no worries about iron overload.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14576606
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Hey CausticSymmetry,

"When administered together with ascorbic acid, lipoic acid changes the characteristic heavy to light chain ratio of ferritin makeup."

Does this mean we should take Vitamin C or foods that contain Vitamin C with stabilized R-Lipoic acid?

Thanks
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:18 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:Since it is estimated that as many as 70% of the world (perhaps more) has less than optimal levels of iodine
According to your best information, what would be a optimal daily intake for adults?

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:45 pm

jdp710 - I'm not sure, but lipoic acid will work without the vitamin C. Of course it will help keep vitamin C working longer, especially ascorbyl palmitate (fat soluble c).

Misirlou - I'm not really sure. I find that the general expert consensus on iodine is quite mixed. There are two other forms of iodine that are popular such as Prolamine Iodine and Iosol. David Bernstein says he gets the best results with those taking lugol's solution at 50 milligrams per day (8 drops) but those are notably thyroid patients. Dr. Buy Abraham suggests that the optimal daily intake of iodine is 12.5 milligrams per day.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Historically iodine was once commonly used to cure polycystic ovaries, thyroiditis, hypothyroid, autoimmune thyroid problems, etc. And since high dose iodine effectively cures PCOS, the women equivalent of male pattern baldness would it not at least help with us? This is one thought I have had for a while.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:34 am

Misirlou,

Here is a good quote from Dr. David Brownstein, "I began to use smaller milligram amounts of iodine/iodide (6.25mg/day). Upon retesting these individuals 1-2 months later, little progress was made. I therefore began using higher milligram doses (6.25-50mg) to increase the serum levels of iodine. It was only with these higher doses that I began to see clinical improvement as well as positive changes in the laboratory tests."

If you develop detox symptoms, IME, it goes away when you do the salt loading protocol outlined here =

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html

If you still have a problem with iodine not making you feel well, you can try to experiment with strengthening your adrenals as you may suffer from adrenal fatigue. Something as simple as Maca might work. It did for one of my family members.

Here are some good quotes on iodine ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is a potent anti-infective agent. No virus, bacteria or parasite has been shown to be resistant to iodine therapy. I have found that providing adequate iodine to provide the body with iodine sufficiency markedly decreases the number and severity of infections in these patients."

"In the Type 1 diabetics that we have been following we have noted that if C-peptide is measurable, this would suggest that the individual is making their own insulin. I have been able to help this group of patients to get off insulin or to greatly reduce the amount they need for good glucose control with Iodoralâ at 4 tablets/day (50 mg). If C-peptide is absent then we feel there is no insulin being produced and we have not been able to help this particular group of patients to get off their insulin. We have been able to help these patients lower the total amount of insulin needed to control their glucose."

"When patients take between 12.5 to 50 mg of iodine per day, it seems that the body becomes increasingly more responsive to thyroid hormones"

"We have received many comments over the last two years. Following orthoiodosupplementation, patients have described vivid dreams, dissipated depression, no more cold extremities, more energy and less fatigue. Patients have noticed an overall feeling of well-being. Patients have noticed a loss of weight."

"In less than 1% of all the patients treated with I, have we seen an allergic reaction. More often than not, the allergic reaction is hives."

"Iodine induces apoptosis and inhibits cells from forming cancer."

'In the 1980s, ... iodine was replaced with bromine in the bread-making process."

The concept of orthoiodosupplementation 30is based on the self-evident fact that the whole body, not just the thyroid gland, needs iodine. The whole body needs this essential trace element, which plays different roles in different organs and tissues.

During the late 1800s and early 1900s, orthoiodosupplementation was administered with Lugol solution 0.1 - 0.3 ml containing 12.5 - 37.5 mg of iodine/iodide.

Other possible functions include: helping to regulate moods, preventing cancer (especially in breasts, ovaries, uterus, prostate and thyroid gland), preventing and treating fibrocystic breasts in women, helping to regulate blood pressure, helping to regulate blood sugar and prevent and treat diabetes, and helping to prevent abnormal cardiac rhythms

Of all the elements known so far to be essential for human health, iodine is the most misunderstood and the most feared. Yet, iodine is the safest of all the essential trace elements, being the only one that can be administered safely for long periods of time to large numbers of patients in daily amounts as high as 100,000 times the RDA.

iodine may have other benefits as well. Dr. Abraham has shown in his work that iodine promotes the excretion of toxic minerals, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium as well as the toxic halogens fluoride and bromide

Obesity increases the requirement for iodine (7) and up to 100 mg elemental iodine/day may be required to achieve and maintain sufficiency.

Quotes taken from here http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodineinfo.html
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm looking at the official recommendations on Iodine from Dietary Reference Intake (DRI)..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake

Iodine
Estimated Average Requirements: 95 mcg
Recommended Dietary Allowances: 150 mcg
Tolerable upper intake levels: 1100 mcg

Doesn't these guidelines have a huge gap before they even get close to what this thread is recommending?

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Misirlou - This link will answer a lot of questions:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/1959949/IODINE-Solution-to-Healthproblems

Due to erroneous research and medical dogma, the "Rats, drugs and assumptions" (RDA) is a 100 times less than it should be.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:51 pm

It would have been nice with some references to toxicity studies, in that slideshow.

Misrlou, I am also hesitant to exceed the upper tolerable level. Wikipedia usually has some pretty good info as a general guideline.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm

iodine is considered to be one of the safest minerals in the world. An allergy to iodine which is rare usually exhibits hives.

It is through some 3,000 to 4,000 patients from a clinician. According to Dr. Brownstein, it will be some 100 years from now until you this truth is accepted as fact.

Having worked in medical practice I can name a rather huge list of medical "sacred cows" that most medical professionals believe like a religion but are utterly patently false. depending on what area of medicine it is, most doctors are somewhere between ten to 50 years outdated.

Having said all this, there isn't going to be much in the way of published research supporting these new views.

There is some very strong anecdotal on this stuff, which I think accounts for something also. One that is especially interesting is that high dose iodine is known in some circles (users) to engender longer life.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:00 am

Don't forget to check out the links at this site ... very good information =

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodineinfo.html
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:01 am

This was taken from cure zone

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without IT" by David Brownstein, MD:

Concern with using high levels of iodine

"There is some concern that the ingestion of Iodine in excess of the RDA will cause adverse effects...there are seven major concerns with using iodine in excess of the RDA:

1) allergy
2) autoimmune thyroid disease
3) detoxification reactions
4) iodine-induced hypothyroidism and goiter
5) iodine-induced hyperthyroidism
6) iodism
7) thyroid cancer

1)allergy...
In my experience, an allergy to inorganic iodine/iodide(Lugol's or Iodoral) is rare...an allergy can take any form, including a rash, fatigue, congestion, headache and a fever. NAET, an acupressure technique, has been useful in some of my patients to help them overcome an allergy to iodine..

here's a resource on that:

http://www.naet.com

2)autoimmune thyroid disease...
Some researchers...believe that autoimmune thyroid problems are caused by iodine intake in excess of the RDA...before the adoption of radioactive iodine to treat the side effects of autoimmune thyroid illnesses, the use of higher doses of iodine was the treatment of choice for these illnesses...
If iodine was the cause of autoimmune thyroid illnesses, these illnesses should have been decreasing over the last 30 years. The opposite has occured. In the U.S., iodine levels have fallen approx. 50% over the last 30 yrs while, at the same time, autoimmune thyroid sdisorders have been rapidly increasing.

3) Detoxification reactions...
If the body's detoxification pathways are overloaded when the toxic halides are being released, a detoxification reaction can be triggered. A detoxification reaction can take the form of fatigue, muscle aches, fever, diarrhea, and brain fog, among others...Though a detoxification reaction to iodine usage is RARE, it has happened...can be minimized with nutritional support, balancing pH, balancing hormonal systems.."

***Here's what Brownstein did for a patient suffering detox symptoms***

this portion is in reference to a patient suffering bromide detox symptoms(fatigue, headaches) on 50 gm. per day iodoral.

"...the iodine was helping her body excrete large amounts of bromide. During a detoxification process, the body's detoxification systems need proper support to ensure the toxic chemicals can be safely released without harming the body's tissues. I told Ellen to take large amounts of Vitamin C- 10,000 mg. per day as vitamin C helps all of the body's detoxification pathways function more effectively. Furthermore, I placed Ellen on 10 gm. of unrefined Sea Salt per day. The unrefined sea salt has chloride which can assist in the body's removal of bromine. In addition, the minerals in sea salt help the detoxification process. Ellen was also doing Epsom Salt baths(two cups in a tub of water) twice a week and taking a magnesium supplement(amount not specified)...Unless iodine levels are elevated along with the support of the body's detoxification pathways, the body will be unable to release bromide."

here's a link on Vitamin C & sea salt:

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=839245#i

4)Iodine induced hypothyroidism and goiter
"When animals or humans that are iodine deficient are given large doses of iodine, there is a TRANSIENT DECREASE in thyroid hormone production(approx. 26-40 hrs.) until the body reestablishes it's equilibrium with iodine. After that, thyroid levels adjust to normal and signs of hypothyroid do not develop.

5)Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism
The use of iodine in a previously iodine-deficient population may result in a TRANSIENT INCREASE in thyroid hormones...Studies have shown that the increase in thyroid hormones, which could lead to hyperthyroid symptoms(palpitations, nervousness), will gradually decrease. Can be monitored with lab tests & adjustments in dosage.

6)Iodism
...results when the dose is too high...results in metallic taste in mouth, increased salivation, sneezing, headache & acne...frontal headache...fever...
adjust dosage!(down) can use chlorophyll tablets to eradicate taste of iodine***(on a personal note, I LIKE the taste of iodine:)).***

7)thyroid cancer...
There have been some reports in the literature that iodine supplementation can be associated with an increased incidence of thyroid papillary cancer. If iodine usage were the cause of thyroid cancer, then falling iodine levels would be expected to lead to lowered hyroid cancer levels. However, this has not been the case. During the last several decades, when iodine levels have declined, the incidence of thyroid cancer has markedly increased. PERHAPS IODINE DEFICIENCY IS THE CAUSE OF THE ELEVATION IN THYROID CANCERS!!"(emphasis mine)
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:15 am

jdp710 - This is great information. There's a bit of an irony with iodine supplementation that is similar to other substances that have a potentially great benefit, which sometimes there are some short term side effects that cause the user to panic
and unbeknownst to them they are getting rid of toxins, they then stop taking it and never realize the full benefit.

I experienced some very mild side effects from high dose iodine use in the beginning, which are listed in the post above. I have noticed health improvements since that time, which is surprising since I had already thought I had "everything" covered.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lukso Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:55 am

JDP: What is your recommendation for topical use of Lugol's iodine? What solution strength? ...frequency of use? ...coverage time?

lukso

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:24 am

Hey CausticSymmetry,

I 100% agree with you. I did my research on iodine/iodide 1 1/2 years ago and realized that it has a very low toxicity. Not to mention, there have been many times in my life that I've used very large doses of Betadine topically. While it has something like 3% absorption in your body when applied topically, I still must have received a very large dose of iodine those times. Well, I never fell over and died as some of the literature would have you believe, lol.

In short, I'm 100% positive that I'm better off having added Lugol's 1 1/2 years ago ... at the very least for getting the very toxic bromide out of my body.

Here are some good quotes from Dr. Abraham's article which is a good read on why people view iodine as being extremely toxic:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a great need to educate physicians about the great difference between organic iodine and inorganic iodine/iodide

Amiodarone contains organic iodine. The use of inorganic iodine/iodide at 9 mg/day was never tested in similar patients as an alternative to amiodarone, a drug releasing about 9 mg iodine per day. It would not be surprising if 9 mg inorganic iodine/iodide/day resulted in the beneficial effects without the severs side effects

The review of the history of iodine by L.E. Braverman,15 covering the period from 1961 to 1994, was limited to the thyroid gland exclusively, because by then, thyroid fixation had become pandemic, and the only role of iodine as an essential element was assumed to be due to its incorporation in the thyroid hormones.

The concept of orthoiodosupplementation 30is based on the self-evident fact that the whole body, not just the thyroid gland, needs iodine. The whole body needs this essential trace element, which plays different roles in different organs and tissues

http://optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-05/IOD_05.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some good quotes on bromides toxicity

Effects of Bromide on the Organs

Iodine depletion weakens the thyroid and other organs. (2)(3)(4)(5)(6) In
individuals where the bromide-iodine ratio is less, bromide may not be
problematic.

Thyroid

Elevated bromide levels have been implicated in every thyroid disease, from
simple hypothyroidism to auto-immune diseases to thyroid cancer.
Malenchenko found bromide levels 50 times higher in thyroid cancer than
normal thyroid tissue. (7)

Rats fed even the minimal amount of bromine expected to be encountered in
the environment underwent goiter-like changes (Cool, an arguable case of
bromide dominance. In the FIRE project, exposing rats to the brominated flame
retardant compound, bromocyclodecane, showed consistent effects on the
thyroid hormone axis, including decreased T4. Thyroid gland cells have
increased size and larger nuclei, indicating increased synthetic activity. (9)

With enhanced intake of bromide, fully one-third of the iodine content in the
thyroids of rats was replaced by bromide. (10)

Skin

Skin biopsied from a woman who had been on bromide-containing sedatives
for nearly four years found increased bromide in normal skin and three
times that in an affected skin lesion. (11)

An infant administered a syrup containing sodium bromide developed
vegetative lesions on the face and scalp. (12)

Technicians exposed to brominated compounds for prolonged periods
developed multiple cherry angiomas on the trunk and extremities. (12)

Mental

The psychiatry literature abounds with cases of elevated bromide levels being
implicated in mental conditions from depression to schizophrenia. (14)(15)(16)
As Guy Abraham, MD, asks, "How many people with misdiagnosed bromism
are currently treated with psychiatric drugs?"(17) Bromide was used to
suppress women's sex drive in the 1950s.

Hearing

Potassium bromate, a bread additive, is known to cause renal damage and
permanent deafness in animals and man. (18) In the FIRE project, the most
relevant effect on exposing rats to 28 days to the brominated flame
retardant compound, tetrabromobisphenol-A, was hearing. Specifically, the
lower frequency range was affected . (19)

Kidneys

The ability of bromate to cause cancer, especially kidney cancer, is a
significant health concern. (20) The gene expression in kidneys in rats given
a high dose 100-week potassium bromate in their drinking water showed
marked gene expression difference from the lower non-cancer dose. The
high dose kidney gene expression resembled an adenoma-like expression
pattern. (21)
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:44 am

Hey Lukso,

I use the 2% lugol's. I'll use between 1 dropperful (about 20 drops) - 3 dropperful (about 60 drops). I'll apply it at night and then in the morning, when you wash your hair, the brownish stain is gone. I've never had a problem with it staining my scalp or hair. I also won't apply it more than once per week.

I originally had the idea from a Heloise trick and found out that it's used in poorer parts of the world for hair loss applied topically. Here is a quote and why I wouldn't recommend more than once per week

"A daily application of white iodine on your fingernails for one week will help strengthen them. After the first week, use ONLY once a week. This is not a case of more is better -- DO NOT continue to use white iodine on your fingernails every day, or they will become too brittle. It might take several weeks to see any improvement if your nails are paper-thin from using a primer on them (for acrylics) or from being roughed up so the nail products would adhere better."

Recently, I've just changed from Lugol's to Nascent iodine. It's about 350% more expensive http://www.thyroidnascentiodine.com/

The reason why I've changed is because of this quote "Iodide has to be converted back to the nascent form in order to produce T3 and T4"

Interestingly, I had some pretty severe detox when taking this Nascent iodine at the full dosage right away which is "very interesting" considering how long I've taken Lugol's for. I know it's bromide as bromide will give you hundreds of tiny pimple like bumps on my face. So far, I'd say this Nascent iodine is much more powerful than regular Lugol's.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next