Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Is coconut safe to take daily? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Is coconut safe to take daily?

+7
imprisoned-radical
FATE
Red beard
longhairedredhead
abc123
CausticSymmetry
Icanbeatthis
11 posters

Go down

Is coconut safe to take daily? Empty Is coconut safe to take daily?

Post  Icanbeatthis Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 am

I recently started taking Virgin Coconut Oil 3x a day, about 3 tablespoons and I feel great, my skin is really clear and I have more energy.

I did alot of research on it and came across a study that showed a diet high in coconut oil induced fatty liver disease in rats. Apparently the medium chain triglycerides in the oil go straight to the liver and can lead to fat build up in it. Any truth to this?

I have always had fantastic results on my bloodwork and definitely don't want to mess things up but I do feel better since starting the VCO....

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Is coconut safe to take daily? Empty Re: Is coconut safe to take daily?

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:25 am

It's perfectly safe.

On a similar note, check out my article that relates to coconut oil.

http://healthyfixx.com/55/how-to-wake-up-an-alzheimers-patient

Also, this was mentioned before but now a new study to prove that coconut oil reduces lipoprotein(a)

Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Dec;94(6):1451-7. Epub 2011 Oct 26.
Diets high in palmitic acid (16:0), lauric and myristic acids (12:0 + 14:0), or oleic acid (18:1) do not alter postprandial or fasting plasma homocysteine and inflammatory markers in healthy Malaysian adults.
Voon PT, Ng TK, Lee VK, Nesaretnam K.

Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and the Malaysian Palm Oil Board, 6, Persiaran Institusi, Bandar Baru Bangi, Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia.

BACKGROUND:
Dietary fat type is known to modulate the plasma lipid profile, but its effects on plasma homocysteine and inflammatory markers are unclear.

OBJECTIVE:
We investigated the effects of high-protein Malaysian diets prepared with palm olein, coconut oil (CO), or virgin olive oil on plasma homocysteine and selected markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease (CVD) in healthy adults.

DESIGN:
A randomized-crossover intervention with 3 dietary sequences of 5 wk each was conducted in 45 healthy subjects. The 3 test fats, namely palmitic acid (16:0)-rich palm olein (PO), lauric and myristic acid (12:0 + 14:0)-rich CO, and oleic acid (18:1)-rich virgin olive oil (OO), were incorporated at two-thirds of 30% fat calories into high-protein Malaysian diets.

RESULTS:
No significant differences were observed in the effects of the 3 diets on plasma total homocysteine (tHcy) and the inflammatory markers TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, and IL-8, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, and interferon-γ. Diets prepared with PO and OO had comparable nonhypercholesterolemic effects; the postprandial total cholesterol for both diets and all fasting lipid indexes for the OO diet were significantly lower (P < 0.05) than for the CO diet. Unlike the PO and OO diets, the CO diet was shown to decrease postprandial lipoprotein(a).

CONCLUSION:
Diets that were rich in saturated fatty acids prepared with either PO or CO, and an OO diet that was high in oleic acid, did not alter postprandial or fasting plasma concentrations of tHcy and selected inflammatory markers. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00941837.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:34 am

Icanbeatthis wrote:I recently started taking Virgin Coconut Oil 3x a day, about 3 tablespoons and I feel great, my skin is really clear and I have more energy.

I did alot of research on it and came across a study that showed a diet high in coconut oil induced fatty liver disease in rats. Apparently the medium chain triglycerides in the oil go straight to the liver and can lead to fat build up in it. Any truth to this?

I have always had fantastic results on my bloodwork and definitely don't want to mess things up but I do feel better since starting the VCO....

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The mct's in coconut oil encourage fat burning. The only study I have seen of coconut oil inducing fatty liver was one where the animals also recieved a heavy dose of ethanol along side it.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Icanbeatthis Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:47 am

Sounds good, thanks guys!

My body just seems to love the stuff, my mouth feels so much better, no more gum bleeding either.

I've also read that it can help with 5-AR and hair? Any truth to that?

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Post  longhairedredhead Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:51 am

How about its high lauric acid content, that is said to inhibit DHT production, might this cause someone to develop gyno? That question is actually what has kept me away from using it on a daily basis instead of once every one-two weeks, cause besides that I love the stuff.

longhairedredhead

Back to top Go down

Post  Red beard Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 am

longhairedredhead wrote:How about its high lauric acid content, that is said to inhibit DHT production, might this cause someone to develop gyno? That question is actually what has kept me away from using it on a daily basis instead of once every one-two weeks, cause besides that I love the stuff.

I would like to hear more about this as well.

Red beard

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:50 am

longhairedredhead wrote:How about its high lauric acid content, that is said to inhibit DHT production, might this cause someone to develop gyno? That question is actually what has kept me away from using it on a daily basis instead of once every one-two weeks, cause besides that I love the stuff.

I did read somewhere on the forum that Virgin coconut oil and refined coconut oil have different effects on developing gyno, Virgin may have less chance of gyno I think???

Also taking Curcumin and Resveratrol I read that it counteracts developing gyno, but if someone could correct me or shed some more light on this?
FATE
FATE

Back to top Go down

Post  Red beard Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Well after a full couple of hours of google research it certainly seems like as far as DHT is concerned, there is a strong connection with low DHT = low libido, gyno, basically turning in a women. High DHT is shown to improve sexual function, grow body hair, deepen voice, etc. Its basically the king male hormone. The only thing it doesnt do is build muscle mass which is done by its precurser, testosterone. Its also been proven to NOT couse prostate cancer and can even shrink prostate do to its anti estrogen properties. The jury is still out on how exactly it relates to hair loss but plenty of studies show and people claim that hair loss is not a direct result of elevated DHT.

So it would seem that lowering DHT by inhibiting 5-ar would be a bad thing for most men. What i could not find for the life of me was any conclusive stuff showing coconut oil blocking 5-ar. There are certainly some claims but there are also lots of claims saying saturated fats raise DHT. Im still looking into it, i am greatly interested in this now.

Red beard

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Red beard wrote:

Well after a full couple of hours of google research it certainly seems like as far as DHT is concerned, there is a strong connection with low DHT = low libido, gyno, basically turning in a women. High DHT is shown to improve sexual function, grow body hair, deepen voice, etc. Its basically the king male hormone. The only thing it doesnt do is build muscle mass which is done by its precurser, testosterone. Its also been proven to NOT couse prostate cancer and can even shrink prostate do to its anti estrogen properties. The jury is still out on how exactly it relates to hair loss but plenty of studies show and people claim that hair loss is not a direct result of elevated DHT.

So it would seem that lowering DHT by inhibiting 5-ar would be a bad thing for most men. What i could not find for the life of me was any conclusive stuff showing coconut oil blocking 5-ar. There are certainly some claims but there are also lots of claims saying saturated fats raise DHT. Im still looking into it, i am greatly interested in this now.

It's also important to distinguish between circulating DHT (bloodstream) and localized DHT in various tissues. Both isoforms of 5AR are expressed within the hair follicle itself, and the DHT that's produced in the scalp is probably the major causative factor in MPB. So a while back I suggested topical application of coconut oil. Somehow the idea seems to simple. If it was effective, it seems like people would have figured it out by now and it would be well-established as a treatment for MPB...since rubbing coconut oil on the scalp is common practice in some cultures...you'd think someone would have noticed by now that it stops MPB.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red beard Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:23 pm

imprisoned-radical wrote:
Red beard wrote:

It's also important to distinguish between circulating DHT (bloodstream) and localized DHT in various tissues. Both isoforms of 5AR are expressed within the hair follicle itself, and the DHT that's produced in the scalp is probably the major causative factor in MPB. So a while back I suggested topical application of coconut oil. Somehow the idea seems to simple. If it was effective, it seems like people would have figured it out by now and it would be well-established as a treatment for MPB...since rubbing coconut oil on the scalp is common practice in some cultures...you'd think someone would have noticed by now that it stops MPB.

Do you have any opinion on coconut oils ability to lower bloodstream DHT and causing male femanization?

Red beard

Back to top Go down

Post  ngb Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:21 am

Why does coconut oil make me so tired? I just had a big spoon full and had to take a nap. Does all fat do this? Just saturated fats? Any truth to the issues discussed in the thread? How much should someone eat per day?

ngb

Back to top Go down

Post  NevadaNed Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Coconut and Olive oil is all I use. I admit I like cooking and the taste of olive oil more. I need to make it a point to cook with coconut oil but Olive oil is so much easier (ok not SO MUCH). Anyway I'm pretty sure coconut is great for your health - especially since what's the alternative??? Hydrogenated vegetable oils? No thanks.

I use coconut on my skin, hair, and internally and have only have a negative reaction when I eat it plain or with coffee. I need to consume some real food if I eat it or else headache/stomach ache. Coconut water has no such impact on me.

NevadaNed

Back to top Go down

Post  ngb Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:42 am

NevadaNed wrote:Coconut and Olive oil is all I use. I admit I like cooking and the taste of olive oil more. I need to make it a point to cook with coconut oil but Olive oil is so much easier (ok not SO MUCH). Anyway I'm pretty sure coconut is great for your health - especially since what's the alternative??? Hydrogenated vegetable oils? No thanks.

I use coconut on my skin, hair, and internally and have only have a negative reaction when I eat it plain or with coffee. I need to consume some real food if I eat it or else headache/stomach ache. Coconut water has no such impact on me.

Do you find coconut oil makes you tired if you eat a huge spoon full of it? A lot of clarified butter does the same for me. I'm guessing it's the saturated fat. I'll try loading up on olive oil to see what happens. All the olive oil I buy (organic, extra virgin, cold pressed) tastes bitter and burns my throat. Is it rancid or is that just the way it tastes?

ngb

Back to top Go down

Post  NevadaNed Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 am

ngb wrote:
NevadaNed wrote:Coconut and Olive oil is all I use. I admit I like cooking and the taste of olive oil more. I need to make it a point to cook with coconut oil but Olive oil is so much easier (ok not SO MUCH). Anyway I'm pretty sure coconut is great for your health - especially since what's the alternative??? Hydrogenated vegetable oils? No thanks.

Do you find coconut oil makes you tired if you eat a huge spoon full of it? A lot of clarified butter does the same for me. I'm guessing it's the saturated fat. I'll try loading up on olive oil to see what happens. All the olive oil I buy (organic, extra virgin, cold pressed) tastes bitter and burns my throat. Is it rancid or is that just the way it tastes?

I don't know about it making me feel tired but it makes my stomach 'sour' and gives me a headache if I eat it by itself or with water/coffee. I will only use it with conjunction with other food i.e. cooked meat, vegetables, etc. Maybe someone else can get explain the details but that is somewhat irrelevant to me. I know it needs to be taken with other food, at least for me.

NevadaNed

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 am

Coconut oil, when taken by mouth, needs to be taken in moderation. I used to get stupid and shove 2 tablespoons in my mouth and swallow it and inevitably I'd feel nauseous like on the verge of throwing up for the rest of the day.

I put it in my coffee & if I have Unsalted Kerrygold butter in my house I do make Bulletproof Coffee which gives me tremendous energy and also curbs my hunger.

Just use common sense. Downing 2 tablespoons or 3 on an empty stomach will make you sick. I can drop a tablespoon in my coffee and have no issues and I can take a tablespoon by mouth and be okay. Anything above that becomes problematic and if you take a large dose of it by mouth and then eat a decent sized meal you may make yourself uncomfortable.

I cook with it all the time now & have my wife baking gluten free with it. That said, you need more than what you cook with. If you do a tablespoon 2x a day separated by several hours you should be okay. It's the empty stomach ingestion of it that causes a lot of problems in my experience.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  strider7086 Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:39 am

I actually had organic coconuts from abroad and they blew me away. Found them in an ethnic store in New York. The oil content was amazing. And on top of that got the fiber from the Husk.

The coconuts flakes here are a sad way to make money in my opinion - thin as a potato chip. I tried a reputable brand and found them to be thin, dry and just lacking that special juicy taste.

strider7086

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down