Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Topical Linoleic Acid EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Topical Linoleic Acid

3 posters

Go down

Topical Linoleic Acid Empty Topical Linoleic Acid

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Abstract: A preparation for the topical application of linoleic acid to treat male and female androgenetic alopecia, age-related alopecia, and keratosis pilaris contains between about 0.1% and about 10%, preferably between about 1% and about 5%, and specifically about 2% linoleic acid by volume in its carrier vehicle. This acts to correct the local linoleic acid deficiency that exists in the follicles in these conditions and provides linoleic acid to suppress growth of Propionibacterium acnes with resultant reduction in its porphyrin production which in turn reduces microinflammation and altered keratinization that damages follicles and eliminates functioning follicles in alopecia and causes follicle plugging in keratosis pilaris.

I have the whole study but it's quite long. Here are some excerpts:

Microbiologic studies have shown that after puberty skin flora in hair follicles of oily skin areas such as the face and scalp is predominantly Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) with lesser presence of staphylococci and Malassezia species. P. acnes is 4 Young, J W et al., “Cutaneous Immunopathology of Androgenetic Alopecia”, Journal of the American Osteopathic Assn., Vol. 91 (#Cool, p. 765, 1991. an anaerobic bacterium that is well adapted for life in the sebum-rich, oxygen-free environment inside face and scalp follicles. Metabolically, it produces a number of compounds that can cause inflammation inside and around hair follicles. Lipase enzymes result in breakdown of inert triglycerides into inflammatory free fatty acids which disrupt facial and upper trunk follicles and cause the papules, pustules, and cysts seen clinically as acne. Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) is also produced and is a known aggravator of acne when it is administered orally to acne-prone patients. Most pertinent to the present invention is the production of tetrapyrrole porphyrin compounds, especially coproporphyrin III, which are inflammatory by nature but are especially inflammatory when excited by their specific absorption of ultraviolet light in the 300-450 nanometer wavelength range which is abundantly available in natural sunlight. Such activated porphyrins have been shown to cause deposition of immunoglobulins and complement as described in AGA follicles. Scalp follicles in areas of alopecia are often seen to exhibit auto-fluorescence in UV light indicating the active production of porphyrins in these follicles. This has led some authors to even suggest that the normal location of AGA on the vertex of the scalp more than on the sides could make the process in part a photo-aggravated one. The end result of the follicular microinflammation, perifollicular fibrosis, and the miniaturization of normal follicles until they are non-functional could largely therefore be blamed on P. acnes, either through its production of inflammatory compounds or porphyrins or alternately due to antimicrobial peptides or other compounds produced locally as a5 Trueb, R M, “Is Androgenetic Alopecia a Photoaggravated Dermatosis”, Dermatology, Vol. 207, pp. 343-348, 2003. defense mechanism against it. In any event, reduction of the population of P. acnes in scalp follicles can prevent inflammation and slow or reverse the process of miniaturization that causes AGA and baldness.

Studies have shown that topically-applied linoleic acid can replenish even the depleted levels seen in systemic essential fatty acid deficiency states, so it is merely academic to state that topical linoleic acid compounds can supply adequate amounts to correct the localized deficiency in scalp follicles in AGA. The prior art presented by this inventor showed that only a 2% concentration of linoleic acid is required to completely inhibit growth of P. acnes in culture. The difference between the clinical outcome of localized linoleic acid deficiency in scalp and facial follicles in AGA and acne, respectively, is quite probably due to the difference in the normal patterns of keratinization in follicles of the two areas. In the scalp, the infundibular keratinization when pathologically altered becomes permeable to inflammatory compounds leading to microinflammation, perifollicular fibrosis, and miniaturized non-functional follicles. Clinical signs of acne in facial follicles results from action of P. acnes-produced lipases on the microcomedo, which is the product of altered follicular keratinization caused by linoleic acid-deficient sebum in sebaceous follicles that rarely produce full-sized hairs in the normal individual.

I remember CS posting studies about deficiencies in parenteral omega-6 (linoleic acid) and decreased skin moisture.

Also, what's the deal with EFA? Is there such a thing as essential fatty acids? I know Ray Peat would have us believe that they aren't essential.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Topical Linoleic Acid Empty Re: Topical Linoleic Acid

Post  bh2o Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:31 am

The topical revivogen has linoleic acid and other fatty acids in its ingredients profile. I was using that for about three months and did not notice anything at all. Perhaps three months is not long enough though. Maybe you got something there.

Not sure what's up with the EFAs.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudiger Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:44 am

Very interesting. Going to have to look at this closely but I like what I'm reading so far.

70% of fatty acids in onions are linoleic acid. I think I'll continue rubbing an onion on my scalp for at least a couple weeks now.

Rudiger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down