Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP!

+12
pancacke
magic_gro
lund
albe
a
CausticSymmetry
tonyj
Espio
LittleFighter
TransGirl
mphatesmpb
ViolatedBird
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! Empty Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP!

Post  ViolatedBird Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 am

I'm a young male and very interested in the SHBG-hairloss link. I'm hoping that misterE or CausticSymmetry can chime in and suggest some natural (or medicinal) remedies.

I started losing hair when I was 17. I also lost my sex drive, and it still has not returned to this day. I am now 29.

Blood tests revealed that I had clinically low testosterone at age 17. Even so, I started losing hair. Years later, further testing revealed that I also had low SHBG. In addition, I had elevated DHEA-S (above normal range.)

My TSH has been anywhere from 2-5. Some say that this means I am hypothyroid, and being hypothyroid might cause low SHBG. However, T3 and T4 seem normal. Reverse T3, however, is near the top of the range.

I still have low testosterone and low shbg. I had to resort to Propecia for a few years to arrest the balding process. I regret it, but there was no other way to increase testosterone without shooting DHT into the stratosphere since my low SHBG causes free T to go off the charts during testosterone therapy.

So, here I am, off Propecia, off TRT, but still with no sex drive and likely continuing to go bald like I did while "natural" at age 17.

I've been taking beta-sisterol per misterE's posts. I take a single capsule, which is 400mg of "plant sterols" (181mg of beta-sisterol, 200mg campesterol and 144mg stigmasterol.) This is the only beta-sisterol supplement that I could find. Since using it, my erectile function has completely vanished. Can someone explain this?

I've also started taking T3 to reverse the RT3. I've been doing it for approximately two weeks and I have not noticed any benefits.

I do hope that misterE will chime in here, because I'm the perfect ginuea pig for low SHBG. I've had low SHBG and low testoserone since my teens, and therefore I am the perfect example of what low SHBG can do to a male body over time.

ViolatedBird

Back to top Go down

Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! Empty Re: Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP!

Post  ViolatedBird Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:19 am

I suppose my original question was too complicated, so I'll boil it down to this:

What is a natural way to increase SHBG? Mine is clinically low.

Is my 140mg of beta-sisterol per day considered too much? (I saw CS recommend 80mg per day.)

ViolatedBird

Back to top Go down

Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP! Empty Re: Low SHBG/low Testosterone in Young Male with Early MBP!

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 am

Elevated levels of insulin and IGF-1 significantly inhibit the synthesis of SHBG in the liver. So improving glucose metabolism (restoring insulin sensitivity) should increase SHBG levels.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:15 am

misterE was banned Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  ViolatedBird Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 am

Thank you for the response. I'm currently investigating that possibility, but I have a feeling it isn't true for me...

Fasting insulin is normal (very low.) Glucose levels are normal. IGF-1 was at the bottom of the range the last I tested, but I realize that it can fluctuate.

I have a fasting glucose tolerance test coming up so I can see how insulin responds. I think it will come back normal, though, ruling out insulin as the culprit.

ViolatedBird

Back to top Go down

Post  ViolatedBird Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 am

I'd like to reiterate after searching the board and noting some controversy.

I'm a rare case. I've had clinically low SHBG and clinically low testosterone all of my life. Even with extremely low testosterone, I started going bald.

The low testosterone makes a normal body composition impossible and also makes sex impossible. I can't raise it via normal replacement therapy, because it all becomes free testosterone and converts to DHT, which exacerbates the balding problem.

Therefore, I need a way to boost SHBG because it is actually clincally low and causing a DHT excesss -- not because of a "theory." It is very much real.

Any tips other than beta-sisterol? If anyone can help with this issue, you'll be seen as a god on a number of boards that I frequent. I'm not the only one with this condition. None of us have been able to figure out how to get our SHBG out of the dumps.

ViolatedBird

Back to top Go down

Post  TransGirl Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 am

My idea is that the DHT production in men is the counterpart to what is called estrogen dominance in women. When women suffer low progesterone(and various other things such as thyroid problems) they start to produce excessive estrogen(ergo the dominance). Men on the other hand who have a problem with progesterone, thyroid(and other issues) levels and testosterone issues will produce excessive DHT. DHT is the stuff that makes you a man through puberty so it is a very potent androgen in its own right. Young transgirls in their teens are often given finasteride to arrest puberty(prevent it and all the excessive bone growth that follows).
TransGirl
TransGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 am

Green tea rises SHBG, proven fact.

Soy isoflavones do the same...

Sensoril (ashwagandas), will boost T levels. Vitamin D too (more fundamental). Magnesium, Zinc, B6 combo...

Fructoborate (probably an underestimated wonder) rises T, but probably also reduces SHBG.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 pm

I private messaged misterE a lot while he was here, as I found his beliefs interesting and well-researched. In my opinion, if he were here he probably would of given you about eight different studies listing how fat intake inversely correlates to SHBH levels. The more fats you intake, the lower your SHBG is going to be. However, some of these studies also note that this could just be because the people who intake higher fat diets are going to be more overweight, and weight plays a strong role in your SHBH level as well.

So the question is what does that mean for people like myself, who are thin and cannot gain weight, yet still have low SHBG?

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:28 am

Although I don't agree with many of Mister E's conclusions, I agree that his opinions were thoughtfully formulated and he actually backed them with studies. He was an extremist, though, but he wasn't the only one on this forum. I think he was banned only because his opinions contrasted with the general consensus on this forum, and most people were unable/unwilling to respond to his posts in an intelligent way (eg., citing studies from scientific journals). Nobody was willing to look through the studies and defend their opinions in an intelligent, thoughtful manner. Nobody wants to hear that they are wrong...

I think there's really only a problem when people act like they've got it all figured out. Mister E fell into this category, as well as many other participants in this forum (including the people who disagreed with him).

The fact is that biology is super complex, and it varies on an individual basis...generalizations and simplistic reasoning are useless.

in my opinion, saying something like "high fat diets are healthy" is just as simplistic as saying something like "balding is hereditary." Similarly statements like "all carbohydrates are deadly" is equivalently stupid.

I currently get about 40-50% of my calories from fats (mostly saturated). Mostly because I've been trying to follow the paleo diet with a few modifications (ie., including foods like dark chocolate and coffee). Each one of us has to keep thinking critically...and that means reading carefully through studies, and constantly revising your opinions and strategies. The goal is to find out what works for you.

This stuff is complicated.

For example, here's a study which refutes Mister E's conclusions:

Effects of dietary fat and fiber on plasma and urine androgens and estrogens in men: a controlled feeding study

JF Dorgan, JT Judd, C Longcope, C Brown, A Schatzkin, BA Clevidence, WS Campbell, PP Nair, C Franz, L Kahle and PR Taylor
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892-7326, USA. dorganj@dcpcepn.nci.nih.gov

We conducted a controlled feeding study to evaluate the effects of fat and fiber consumption on plasma and urine sex hormones in men. The study had a crossover design and included 43 healthy men aged 19-56 y. Men were initially randomly assigned to either a low-fat, high-fiber or high-fat, low-fiber diet for 10 wk and after a 2-wk washout period crossed over to the other diet. The energy content of diets was varied to maintain constant body weight but averaged approximately 13.3 MJ (3170 kcal)/d on both diets. The low-fat diet provided 18.8% of energy from fat with a ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fat (P:S) of 1.3, whereas the high-fat diet provided 41.0% of energy from fat with a P:S of 0.6. Total dietary fiber consumption from the low- and high-fat diets averaged 4.6 and 2.0 g.MJ-1.d-1, respectively. Mean plasma concentrations of total and sex-hormone-binding-globulin (SHBG)-bound testosterone were 13% and 15% higher, respectively, on the high-fat, low-fiber diet and the difference from the low-fat, high-fiber diet was significant for the SHBG-bound fraction (P = 0.04). Men's daily urinary excretion of testosterone also was 13% higher with the high-fat, low- fiber diet than with the low-fat, high-fiber diet (P = 0.01). Conversely, their urinary excretion of estradiol and estrone and their 2-hydroxy metabolites were 12-28% lower with the high-fat, low-fiber diet (P < or = 0.01). Results of this study suggest that diet may alter endogenous sex hormone metabolism in men.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  TransGirl Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:12 am

mphatesmpb wrote:
The fact is that biology is super complex, and it varies on an individual basis...generalizations and simplistic reasoning are useless.

So true. What a lot of people tend to forget is that our genes come from varying groups of cultures which each evolved to handle different types of foods and environmental factors. One culture might have survived by the sea while another one was agricultural. Both groups, after a long time period, will in the end have different gene expressions. I think that an important step for medical and dietary purposes would be to find what environmental culture your DNA comes from which in turn would tell you what your strengths and weaknesses are.
TransGirl
TransGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:26 pm

mphatesmpb-
Nobody was willing to look through the studies and defend their opinions in an intelligent, thoughtful manner. Nobody wants to hear that they are wrong..."
There where people here, including me who looked at every one of those studies. At one point, we even asked Mister E to provide a link of the individual studies and received no reply and we came to the conclusion that Mister E had not read many those studies he used for his conclusion or was unaware of what was in those studies he posted. Also, many of those studies appeared to be dated, not that this lowered the significance of the studies contribution to healthy and nutrition field, but is was clear that any discussion of new or contradicting studies was not within his sphere of debate. At first, I read a lot of his postings until I realized he was just reiterating a lot of the talking points posted by vegan or Dr. John McDougal activist sites or just quoting a lot of Wells Farnsworth abstracts without acknowledging him. Although I couldn't care less if Mr. E was still here, I didn't feel he needed to be booted out, but then those strange postings. The 1 2 3 4 numbers he posted for CausticSymmetry I suppose it was his attempt to goad CausticSymmetry into some form of debate or answer a question but it was strange.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:30 am

Espio wrote:I private messaged misterE a lot while he was here, as I found his beliefs interesting and well-researched. In my opinion, if he were here he probably would of given you about eight different studies listing how fat intake inversely correlates to SHBH levels. The more fats you intake, the lower your SHBG is going to be. However, some of these studies also note that this could just be because the people who intake higher fat diets are going to be more overweight, and weight plays a strong role in your SHBH level as well.

So the question is what does that mean for people like myself, who are thin and cannot gain weight, yet still have low SHBG?

The problem is you think eating fat equals being fat. That's a big mistake.

I fall into the same category, I'm thin.

Probably it makes sense to say eating seed oils (processed ones) make you fat due to the multitude of metabolic changes and stress they cause.

Bad sugar metabolism does mess up SHBG levels... Insulin resistance is correlated with MPB, so that may be the real reason for having low levels. There may be many other factors like thyroid function, nutrient deficiencies, gut flora (for sure) and others.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:21 am

I second LittleFighter

SHBG issue is related to two factors mainly. Blood sugar metabolism and thyroid function. These two factors are also related.

A low SHBG is due to low thyroid function.

In my opinion, thyroid function is a major factor in MPB.

https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t1129-hypothesis-of-male-pattern-hair-loss

http://healthyfixx.com/plan/6/fixxing-your-thyroid

The reason "E" was banned was after repeated private warnings. The 'scientific' references that
were supplied often were not only outdated, they often supported the opposite conclusions.
Most disturbing was that he rarely ever answered our responses to his questions, instead would
present new ones or the same ones already presented, which were debunked.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:41 am

One thing to add, the gut flora in insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

Too wiped out to go back and get the quotes atm but I've also posted some good stuff on endotoxins and inflammation in relation to the thyroid, they significantly slow down the process.

Diabetes and insulin resistance were linked to gut flora in a rather unusual study recently reported on at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes Meeting in Stockholm, Sweden. In the study, insulin sensitivity in obese patients with a set of symptoms known as metabolic syndrome (prediabetes) was improved with a fecal transplant from thin donors.

Yes, you read that correctly… I said a fecal transplant from thin donors!

According to Anne Vrieze MD and colleagues of the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam, after six weeks, peripheral insulin sensitivity significantly improved in 18 patients who received feces from lean donors compared with those who received an autologous (self-provided) transplant (P

“This confirms the potential role of gut microbiota in the disturbance of glucose and lipid metabolism in obesity,” Vrieze said during the presentation. “The challenge is to use this knowledge to develop therapies.”

Umm, May I make a suggestion? PROBIOTICS… especially broad spectrum, high potency probiotics like Essential Flora. This is not the first study to link diabetes, insulin resistance and obesity to inadequate levels of beneficial bacteria in the GI tract.

Digestive health and immune system integrity depend in large measure on the balance of power in the gut. We know that the gut plays a major role in immunity (it is said that 80% of our immune cells are found in the gut) and in regulating hormones that impact both obesity and diabetes that is linked to obesity.

While fecal transplantation programs are certainly not common, the idea is being investigated in the U.S. based upon reports of successful treatments with chronic GI tract infections involving the bacteria Clostridium difficile.

Studies in animals have also demonstrated a link between gut flora and obesity, “…as animals given bacteria from the feces of obese mice had a significantly greater increase in total body fat than those colonized with a “lean” microbiota”, Vrieze said.

The researchers saw increased inflammation in both groups following transplant, and cytokines are currently being analyzed. Bacteria from the jejunum are also in the process of being assessed to determine specific changes to the gut flora.

From this research, it appears that there is a significant difference in the gut flora of thin and obese individuals. It is not yet clearly understood how certain bacteria seem to be able to trigger genes that influence insulin metabolism and obesity, but there is certainly a growing mountain of evidence for the importance of probiotics in the diet and as a foundational natural health supplement.

Naturopathic physicians who are presented with a patient with diabetes or metabolic syndrome will always start with probiotics because they are so fundamental to digestive and immune health. Enhancing insulin sensitivity and controlling inflammation are helpful to all of us, but especially to those who are predisposed to diabetes.
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albe Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:06 am

Mr. E posted dozens of poorly referenced studies, which were almost always irrelevant to his point. He cherry picked studies with good sounding names, and used a reference format which made it difficult to pull the studies up online. I was pretty unhappy that his ideas were able to gain traction, and I found his misuse of evidence to be completely unethical.

albe

Back to top Go down

Post  ViolatedBird Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 am

The prevailing theory (for low-fat raw vegan dieters) is that lipids in the blood inhibit the action of insulin. Therfore, a diet high in fat would lead to insulin resistance over time. I recall seeing a study where mice who have just eaten a high fat meal require extra insulin to regulate the same amount of a dose of sugar. Ultimately, they say, the only way to survive on a diet high in carbohydrates/simple sugars is to eliminate foods that elevate blood borne lipids. I only mention that as an aside, though. I'm not defending that point of view. I'm a proponent of a high protein, high-fat diet, myself. I just like to keep abreast of every theory out there.

Thryroid:

I had the entire panel done that was suggested on the Stop the Thyroid Madness (STTM) website.

My TSH is slightly elevated at 2-4 mu/l, but T3 and T4 are towards the top of the range. The only odd thing is very high RT3.

NO Hashimoto's, etc.
NO clear hypothyroidism based on T3 and T4 free and total values.
EVELATED RT3... meaning...? Nobody seems to know.

Odd, huh?

I'm pretty certain this SHBG deficiency is just a genetic fault that few people want to come to terms with.

ViolatedBird

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:58 am

ViolatedBird - Undoubtedly you have an elevation of heavy metals. A high reverse T3 is actually the cause of most thyroid problems.

The following is a plan to overcome it, see the metal detox plan within the plan below.

http://healthyfixx.com/plan/6/fixxing-your-thyroid

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Makes sense, garlic is also a chelator of mercury, in addition to kills parasites and wards away demons. So my problem is one of those three.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:55 pm

ViolatedBird: Did you assess Wilson protocol for RT3 problem? What is your number for RT3?

I recently took one course of SR T3 (wilson protocol) and will be doing the next one shortly. Mine have also consitenly shown higher than normal RT3.

Keeping an eye on your temps is the only sure way of knowing what is going on with your Thyroids. I have seen extrme TSHs for me within the course of months (extremely Hyper to Hypo) with no symptoms at all w/o taking any Thyroids meds / supplements.

I go by the temps...

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  ViolatedBird Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:29 pm

lund,

I've looked at it, but I'm very confused. I don't have weight gain problems, I don't have temperature problems (that I can feel, anyway.) My temperatures, naturally, for morning, after lunch and afternoon are:

97.6, 98.1, 98.6

A little low, but low enough to cause sexual dysfunction in a teeneager/young adult? I'm skeptical.

Here is the RT3 reading that you asked for. I provided some other possibly interesting values.

Code:
TSH:        5.39      (0.450-4.500)
T4:          10.4      (4.5-12.0)
T3, free:    4.2      (2.0-4.4)
RT3:        344        (90-350)

Ferritin, serum:    77      (30-500)
Magnesium, RBC:      5.9    (4.2-6.8)

After having this lab done, I have been on up to 50mcg of T3 per day, per Wilson's protocol. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be "feeling" or watching for. My temperatures, on this protocol, have gone up to 99.4 degrees at nighttime. Normally, when I awaken, they are still around the 97.6-98.2 mark.

Ultimatey, I'm just very confused about the whole thing. On the T3, my heart rate is fine, my temperature is slightly elevated (99.4) and I have noticed some slight pains in my shoulder, neck, stomach, chest. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, or if this is a sign of something bad.

What temperatures should I be seeing?

ViolatedBird

Back to top Go down

Post  magic_gro Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Steven_Tyler wrote:misterE was banned Sad

what did he do?
magic_gro
magic_gro

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:00 am

magic_gro wrote:
Steven_Tyler wrote:misterE was banned Sad

what did he do?

CS gave the answer on page 1 of this thread.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Did Hoppi get banned too?

It's been weeks since I last saw a thread on candida over growth. ^_^
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm

ViolatedBird: I am not sure, I only read the parts where u where referring to the high RT3 issue. If your temps are in range and average 98.4+, then you are doing okay there. With thyroid, my experience is that you have to give it some time before the benefits starts to show. So I am not sure how long you stayed on Wilson's protocol.

At STTM they prescribe the notion of FT3 / RT3 ratio to be 20 or higher - yours is still in the crapper (4.2/0.344 = 12.2). Your temps are supposed to average 98.4+ consistently without (SR T3)for you to claim the Thyroids are working out ok. Again this is from the Wilson's protocol.

Did u check your cortisol saliva levels? Stress markers may indicate a story.

How is your Estrogen burden - any estrogen lab numbers?

Any chance of a prolactinoma? Anything to increase dopamine may help if this the case. So try the dopamine agonists as well to see if that helps - again give it a spin (2 weeks) before giving up. Tyrosine is a good option for dopamine.

Keep thinking -

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next