Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyYesterday at 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Throw away your Vitamin D3! EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Throw away your Vitamin D3!

+48
TrueGround
NYJets
euroline
curt504
jenny123
Zaphod
Ibrium
RisingFist
MikeBison
Duketronix
LawOfThelema
Nuuu_Dx
theseeker86
Vince Clortho
WR
Delphine
9rugrats5
liverock
LittleFighter
a
usernameK
abc123
elan164
Mr. Clean
nidhogge
brandnew
Just_A_Signal
randle20
zerx
tonyj
scottyc33
lostwind
MAO
hadrion
gregslater
redhead
gbp2000
The Natural
j87x
Amaranthaceae
Misirlou
Maup
Prague
LA-Night
CausticSymmetry
crincrin
DBAL
ubraj
52 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Throw away your Vitamin D3! Empty Throw away your Vitamin D3!

Post  ubraj Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm not going to get into the science of it and not posting this to change any opinions but did want to give a warning about Vitamin D3.

I've been quietly studing the downsides of Vitamin D3 supplementation for several months and the stuff is very detrimental to long-term health and hair! Short-term you'll feel better and do better on it but after years, and decades for the rest, is where the problem lies.

If you want to supplement Vitamin D don't take it in a pill but get it from the sun or from the co-factors ---> Magnesium, Vitamin K, Zinc, Boron, and Vitamin A to raise your levels.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Throw away your Vitamin D3! Empty Re: Throw away your Vitamin D3!

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Okay I can look into your claims but where are the studies backing this up?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Dave228 wrote:Okay I can look into your claims but where are the studies backing this up?

Back to top Go down

Post  DBAL Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:57 pm

The dr i saw yesterday mentioned that many people are low on Vit d. Surely if you need it to boost your levels to normal it is ok?

DBAL

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

I've had my suspicions about vitamin D. AFAIK, most of the evidence used to support the idea of supplementation comes from correlating good health (reduced rates of cancer, diabetes, etc.) with high levels of D3 in the blood. This doesn't automatically imply that supplementation will yield the same benefits.

A chemistry professor told us about vitamin A. They found that people with high levels of vitamin A related compounds in the blood had reduced rates of lung cancer. So they tried supplementing people with beta-carotene (beta-carotene looks like two molecules of vitamin A attached end to end), but that ended up increasing lung cancer rates.

Also, I'd guess that there are plenty of additional benefits to sun exposure apart from vit D production that account for some of the alleged benefits. There might be other substances similar to vit D that are produced by sunlight. Regulation of circadian rhythms might be important in producing some of the benefits.

That said, I think supplementing with a small amount is probably better, for most people, than no supplementation at all.

I'll keep supplementing with vit D. If you consider coastal hunter-gatherers, most of them consume substantial amounts of fish. Regardless of how much sun they were getting, they were also ingesting a large amount of vitamin D via seafood (although even in this case, there are probably other important substances being ingested along with the vitamin D). Ie, 3 oz of salmon has 800 IU of vit D. I think 1000 IU/day in the summer, and maybe twice that in the winter, is enough to minimize the symptoms of low D while still being conservative.

Of course, under ideal circumstances you shouldn't need to supplement at all. But I'm darker skinned and live in the northeast, so that's not really a possibility.

Given my own anecdotal evidence with vit D supplementation (myself/friends/family seeing aches and pains disappear), it would take some extraordinary evidence to convince me that supplementation with small amounts of vit D is unequivocally a bad thing.

jdp701, I'd be really interested to see those studies.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:05 pm

jdp710 - Would be interested in the extra info. The only counters I've heard so far to date over the years about D3 supplementation is the Marshall protocol folks. I wrote to Amy Proal about this (never received) an answer from here, but I told her that they never considered iodine as the missing link.

Of course, maybe this is not Marshall protocol stuff.

So far, I haven't encountered any problems with D3. The only patients who should not use it are those with certain cell wall deficient bacterial diseases such as Sarcoidosis.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Hey jdp701,

It'd be great if you could explain the science behind it & tell us why you feel long-term use of Vitamin D is detrimental to our health/hair.

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey CausticSymmetry,

"Unconverted" Vitamin D will suppress your immune system. "Wasn't convinced of this until my research into rife and running Vitamin D scripts." Don't think I ever could have changed my mind if I didn't buy the rife equipment and want to stress this point as my experience has trumped any information on the subject. I'm 100% positive of supplements being bad "long-term" unless talking organ transplants or similar.

Sunlight/UV light is fine. Co-factors also work with the conversion. Magnesium most important co-factor. However, magnesium can feed lyme thus those with lyme need mag malate for but another story. Nothing wrong with co-factors and/or sunlight!

However, lowered immune system with unconverted D3 (i.e. supplements) means your body will not fight many ailments (e.g. flu) thus making you feel great as your body isn't fighting ailment and thus no detox/herx reaction. Get rid of the detox/herx reaction ---> makes everyone thinks this is good thing for the first few years and for others decades.

Basically many many ailments will get better because of this. Other studies showing benefits of Vitamin D3 to raise 25 D are skewed and don't tell bigger picture. For example, if you have average 25 D levels without supplementation then means your VDR isn't blocked ---> healthier than average. Low 25 D = less healthy but not because low 25 D = unhealthy, but because of blocked VDR.

Anyway, eventually this lowering of immune system comes back to bite ---> muscles, thyroid and lungs are some to watch for. Lungs/shortness of breath was mine. Said to possibly be in 48 hour cycle.

Iodine supplementation would be great but is a band-aid IMO.

I promise haven't lost my mind, lol. Hate doing this as don't want others to turn into a debate only a warning but regarding science, here is some information that I copy and pasted that I agree with. Don't agree with everything of Marshall's and don't agree with the protocol but this information I do agree with... problems with vitamindcouncil but that's another issue...:

The US NIH now estimates that 90% of cells in the human body are bacterial in origin while only a mere 10% of cells in the body are truly human.[26] Thus, many microbiologists now believe that humans are best viewed as superorganisms in which a plethora of bacterial gene products can effect the activity of our own receptors and genetic pathways.[27] Indeed, independent research teams have found that Mycobacterium tuberculosis downregulates VDR activity by approximately 3.3 times.[28] Active Borellia lowers VDR activity by about a factor of 50 and Epstein-Barr Virus by a factor of around 10.[29] HIV completely shuts down VDR activity. It’s quite likely that other pathogens yet to be fully characterized have also evolved ways to decrease VDR activity because by doing so, they slow important components of the innate immune response that might otherwise render them dead.

With this in mind, the claim by many vitamin D researchers that vitamin D can help patients with autoimmune disease by slowing an “over-active” adaptive immune response no longer jives with an emerging view in the microbiology/immunology community – that both the adaptive and innate immune systems should be kept active in autoimmune disease in order to allow the body to best target disease-causing microbes.

The possible presence of pathogens in autoimmune and other inflammatory disease states such as cancer and atherosclerosis makes our group’s findings on vitamin D’s actions more plausible. When the immune system is fighting a microbe, it continually releases inflammatory molecules in an effort to kill the pathogen.[34] If the pathogen dies, endotoxins[35] and cellular debris are generated. This leads to increased symptoms of malaise on the part of a person who harbors such microbes.

It follows that any substance that slows the innate immune response will decrease this battle between man and microbe, causing the patient to feel better. The more the immune response is slowed, the greater the decrease in inflammation and inflammatory markers. But while such measures can make the patient appear as if they are getting better for years, ultimately the bacteria causing their disease are able to spread much more easily and exacerbate the disease state over the long-term.

Our molecular and clinical data shows that 25-D, like the pathogens we describe above, binds the Vitamin D Receptor and slows its activity.[1] Since the VDR largely controls the innate immune response, increasing 25-D levels could easily display the pattern of immunosuppression described above.

http://bacteriality.com/2009/08/10/iom/

... the Tokyo team’s data on VDR null mice also strongly supports the fact that a blocked VDR naturally leads to high levels of 1,25-D and very low levels of 25-D. the Tokyo team’s data on VDR null mice also strongly supports the fact that a blocked VDR naturally leads to high levels of 1,25-D and very low levels of 25-D.

Unfortunately the exact opposite is true. The level of 25-D in the body is not causing the illness, it is a result of the disease process.

In reality, the low 25-D observed in the subjects resulted from the downregulation of 25-D under the influence of elevated levels of 1,25-D

http://bacteriality.com/2007/09/15/vitamind/#footnote_36_53

"a research team at the University of Wisconsin Osteoporosis Clinic, who did not test subjects’ levels of 1,25-D, seemed puzzled by the results of a study which revealed that some participants getting abundant sun exposure still displayed low levels of 25-D." = http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/jc.2006-2250v1

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:42 pm

How are we suppose to keep our vitamin D optimized in the winter months without supplementation?

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:11 pm

jdp710 - The folks at bacteriality are ones who are anti-vitamin D ala Marshall Protocol. I've heard too many negative stories of people using their methods to failure to have much confidence in it. Yes, they believe vitamin D suppresses the immune system.

Based on German new medicine and other leading science, bacteria itself is not even a real issue. Lyme's disease is a good example of this. Take a look (or rather, check out the podcast here below) at Dr. Bigelson's website. He's a long time expert at live blood analysis.

http://www.drbigelsen.com/drbigelsen/Podcast/Podcast.html

There's a whole paradigm shift at least in German new medicine and other work that demonstrates the bacteria is not a problem, but rather the terrain (environment).

Of course the folks at bacteriality and Marshall protocol have a more extreme view of vitamin D, they believe in using the drug Olmesartan Medoxomil (Benicar/Olmetec/Votum), which is a Angiotensin Receptor Blocker.

They also advocate against getting sunlight. In terms of autoimmune diseases, I believe they have the whole theory wrong about bacteria. The bacteria mutate according to the conditions (something is changing that environment), so I think there's another culprit. One example is root canals and uncleaned sockets from the jawbone and/or body implants.

Personal experiences trumps everything, so if you feel better without D3, that may certainly say something. So far, I've only benefited from it. The primary benefits on Vitamin D are raising glutathione, increasing anti-microbial peptides (the Marshall folks hate this), raising testosterone and improving sugar metabolism. Finally, Vitamin D positively regulates 10% of the human genome.

One very well touted use for the MP Protocol is for autoimmune thyroid, however iodine with adjunctive supplementation can correct it. All AIT patients have very low iodine levels.

Please keep us updated on any improvements.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Great jdp, i would never supplement vit D, it's against all logic

in winter you get A, K, E vitamines (CLO, crucifeous veggies, saturated fat foods)

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  Maup Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:18 pm

S#!t, i just bought 360 5000IU D3 softgels + 120 K2/D3 V-Caps...

Maup

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:56 am

Maup he he he --- well you ain't going to get it sold here Laughing

Short term, I will continue to use D3 supps, to bad tanning beds can cause cancer...but I might still buy one (from Mercola?).

It's confusing for us newbies to hear different info from two trustworthy posters (CS and jdp) concerning D3...thanks A LOT scratch cyclops

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 am

During the winter near the poles, there arent going to be any sunlight at all for 4-6 months straight.

Supplementing vit D is very important for people inhabiting those regions.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 am

North-Europe wrote:During the winter near the poles, there arent going to be any sunlight at all for 4-6 months straight.

What a great example of how important Vitamin D really is.
I've heard some major horror stories around how terrible sun deprivation can be.
Throw away your Vitamin D3! Gollumbig

Jokes aside, I live in Newfoundland, and it's a very foggy / damp / cold / grey place eight months out of the year... I personally love the way the area looks during this time, like a different planet. However, the major depression that I've experienced during these times is really reason enough to supplement with Vitamin D.

Looking forward to seeing more debate on this topic!

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:26 am

North-Europe wrote:During the winter near the poles, there arent going to be any sunlight at all for 4-6 months straight.

cpio

vit D is the best thing in the world but it's crazy to get it in a pill, you need to go out to get some sun on your white skin, move, run, jump, live - not buying pills of vit D3 -

in winter listen to the body (not to swansonvitamins newsletters), it will ask you for a cod, califlower, carrot, cabbage

you need no pills - you need right elements (minerals) to get out the bad ones usually (all of them are in nature, nature crates the perfect bond between them that your body can handle) in some cases (when sick) you need to supplement (i go sublingual in very little doses and only already active form now) - sorry guys to go against the spirit of this forum but i'm sure different and honest opinions are always welcomed here

just imagine the machines they use to produce the pills, the way they stock the stuff - it containes substances in unnatural bounds that you body cannot easily handle (unbound so it deposits them to tissue - cancer) - they call it clean, sterile environment but this is the worst, i'd prefer to eat from the ground in Siberia full of excrements rather than on a perfectly clean bacteria free plastic container washed with benzene
what you think they clean the machines with? detergents full of benzene, the most carcinogenic (the hybrid bound) substance

CS - I'm 100% with you with the bacteria - bacteria is good for us, essential - the environment is the key

plus there's a psychologic aspect - if you eat pills you think about them (do i run out of EC this week or next week..?, the timing - oh, i'm leaving for a week, i have to take my pills) - i believe much in the PNEI connection/sequence - psycho-neuro-endocrino-immunitaire - you think about the pills and it makes you sick in advance - there are few pll who can handle it without any negative response, some professionals like CS but not all of you, his acting is based on some serious (but still imperfect) knowledge but it's not the case of all of us

get what you can get without pills

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 am

Probably the ultimate way to answer this is listening to your body. It takes at least a few months to get levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D up. All I can say is that for me personally and for scores of patients, vitamin D has been nothing short of remarkable.

The problem is that most people in this "modern" era do not have the opportunity (economically) or geographically to acquire sufficient vitamin D through sunlight.

The vitamin D winter is very long in some places. The way to tell if you the sun is presently giving you UVB rays to make vitamin D is if your shadow is shorter than you are. If your shadow is taller, it means there's no UVB rays hitting you.

Also while this probably means nothing, and usually I often side with minority doctors in some cases, most alternative and allopathic physicians are very skeptical of the anti-vitamin D group. I've been keeping a close watch on both sides for a while (a few years) and am still strongly convinced that vitamin D supplementation is right for most people.

Of course, if we can get the real thing (the sun), by all means.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:14 am

Nice to see you still around Prague!

Hey CausticSymmetry,

I also held that same view as well. I wish it were true. Also, agree that taking D3 is nothing short of remarkable short-term results but "IMO/IME" at the expense of long-term health.

However, if you start or anyone you know develops muscle pain that gets worse and worse as years go by or develop shortness of breath that gets worse, drop the unconverted/D3 supplement. You won't get better but should slow progression.

Posted before but just in case

Low Vitamin D Status Despite Abundant Sun Exposure = http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/jc.2006-2250v1

BTW, looked into Iodine a bit more and appears that SSKI and Chanca Piedra helps.

A lot of studies that are done showing low levels of 25 D in X ailment is only part of the picture. It's like saying Vitamin C is low in those with X ailment without realizing lead toxicity is the reason for the low levels. The only difference is that Vitamin C is beneficial to take, whereas taking "unconverted" D3 you'll feel good for first few years due to no detox/herx reaction but long-term your immune system is being shut off... why big pharma is looking into it for organ transplants.

Don't agree with the Marshall protocol at all and don't agree with everything that's said. Wouldn't recommend Marshall program to eliminate l-form bacteria but Rife takes care of it. Also, with Marshall no mention of heavy metals in role.

Just wanted to end that all food based supplements are unconverted D3. In most depending on if receptors blocked the sun can create D3 and convert D3... UVA converts D3 but does not create D3. UVB converts and creates D3.

Don't believe info from Marshall but should also say that I've seen it mention that up to 40% of stinging/biting insects are infected with Lyme, Rickettsia, Ehrlichia which are l-form. If those numbers are even a fraction of that it's very alarming.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 am

jdp701 - Good to know about those symptoms. I saw that study before, but interestingly it was used as a basis to show that acquiring vitamin D via the sun is extremely difficult for some, despite what would appear to be good coverage.

For example, only some 50% had decent levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels despite 1 1/2 to 2 hours of exposure each day.

Anyway, hopefully we'll figure out how this applies to everyone or to specific people. All I know for certain right now, is that secondary hyperparathyroidism is one reason not to take D3, besides Sarcoidosis. On the former, it maybe a lack of calcium involved.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 am

I noticed a thing this winter supplementing 2400 iu, that I did not crave to got to the canarie islands, hell, this
winter i preferred to stay in the dark and the cold weather felt great, compared to lying on a beach somwhere .. usually,
i would always crave during midwinter to get a ticket on a an airplane heading south .. i was also much more cold tolerant,
feezing temp did not bother me (maybe higher T in general and not vit D supp).

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 am

CS

they do not have the opportunity to get to the sunlight because they're fat and lazy and sick and diabetic and poisoned unmotivated, misleaded and unhappy but also because they do not care ...... since they have their pills!

and from the psychological point of view there's no difference between big pharma and iherb

i do not contest the importance of all those things for your health but psychologically it makes them care even less about the way they eat, live, etc

they think that if they take their ALA/ALC/CLO/curcumin/resveratrol/D3/vitK2 and eat the junk food they're fine. No, they're not. Getting real food, real life would be better.

you have it right, no question but the pill is not the answer for everything - you know what you're doing but not the ppl who follow you here, they'd buy plutonium in a pill if you'd say so

how do you want ppl to do it right when instead of telling them eat calliflower you recommend broccomax, vit K2, sulphoraphane glucosinolate, I3C or DIM, ALA, magnesium, selenium, calcium, biotin, benfotiamine and i do not know what else when you can get it in the califlower ?!?! once i read some 180 known nutrients in parsley, i would have to get crazy to get these in a pill. Plus if you like califlower or parsley, you don't eat donuts - it doesn't go together.

one more argument and the most important one - the body is not supposed to get constant ammounts of nutrients (vitamins, minerals) per day/week - it's a very bad idea actually; it works in its natural cycles: one day zero, the other day 1000% of the average is the way it prefers. One day 3g of vit C, the other nothing - not 60mg per day, always the same source (pill). The body is smarter than that. Plus the pill approach underestimate synergic aspects because science can never decrypt all the possible combinations.

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:05 am

Prague wrote:Getting real food, real life would be better.

Plus if you like califlower or parsley, you don't eat donuts - it doesn't go together.

one more argument and the most important one - the body is not supposed to get constant ammounts of nutrients (vitamins, minerals) per day/week

I have no doubt in my mind that there a ton of people everywhere you'll go who are going to take that pill more or less for the psychological reassurance that they're doing the right thing for themselves, and I think that's what you're getting at.

But what about us who strongly follow very strict dietary choices every single day? The supplementing to me would seem quite synergistic with a body that's getting "standard" health benefits from eating the correct food, obtaining the correct amount of sunlight, water, physical exercise, etc... but what about optimal health benefits?

Also, in regards to your last point, that's why fasting seems to be SUCH a good idea!

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 am

action<reaction wrote:
Prague wrote:Getting real food, real life would be better.

Plus if you like califlower or parsley, you don't eat donuts - it doesn't go together.

one more argument and the most important one - the body is not supposed to get constant ammounts of nutrients (vitamins, minerals) per day/week

I have no doubt in my mind that there a ton of people everywhere you'll go who are going to take that pill more or less for the psychological reassurance that they're doing the right thing for themselves, and I think that's what you're getting at.

But what about us who strongly follow very strict dietary choices every single day? The supplementing to me would seem quite synergistic with a body that's getting "standard" health benefits from eating the correct food, obtaining the correct amount of sunlight, water, physical exercise, etc... but what about optimal health benefits?

Also, in regards to your last point, that's why fasting seems to be SUCH a good idea!

good point here, as you understood well, it's the psychological aspects that are more disturbing (but not only)
if you eat well, you do not need vitamins, antioxidants, etc

the problem is not what you lack, the problem is the excess - you could live on raw potatoes for some years (as some soldiers during the first world war)

to supplement, all you need is a mendeleyev's periodic table and to find a key there

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:36 am

if you eat well, you do not need vitamins, antioxidants, etc

I would agree that if I had 19 years of my life back, and started as a child in the process of eating lean meats, fish, berries, nuts, fruits, herbs, vegetables, and gluten free grains in a minimally processed / cooked way, then this would be very true. But my body is testimonial to the fact that a lot of our bodies are absolutely RAVAGED by modern food practices, the IH regimen for me is more about healing and regaining the youth I have left rather than just stopping / slowing hair thinning. I've taken a lot of what CS has said apart and done a lot of research, and though I agree an optimally healthy individual should NOT need a lot of these things in any major supplemental amount, I can not deny that in all the people I know... I can not list one person who is truely that healthy.
Therefor, I feel for the time being as I sort out my health issues (this should apply to all of us, it seems absurd to me that by following common north american lifesyles practices that any of us would have aspects of ourselves that aren't damaged or deficient) that IH's regimen will surely speed up the process of gaining a powerful vitality that has its foundations in healthy food choices.

the problem is not what you lack, the problem is the excess - you could live on raw potatoes for some years (as some soldiers during the first world war)

Through a lot of personal experience talking to vets and whatnot from the first two world wars (my community is roughly 80% seniors) I've discovered that the poor men who went over there to fight would be lucky to have potatoes, a more common food was this horrible black / rock-like chunk of bread that would be better used for breaking-and-entering. I'm definitely going to do some research on common health issues of soldiers upon returning from Europe in those time periods.

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 am

This is such an intriguing debate that explores basic psychology.

Prague makes a great point about the psychological addiction to supplements. However, while many people glorify their vitamin supplementation as a license to eat junk food, most posters here are different. Supplements enhance -- NOT replace -- their food or exercise.

It's wrong to assume that those who supplement Vitamin D, for example, don't also get out & walk, run, or "live" or to say that we're simple-minded sheep who don't know any better.

The psychological addiction to supplements is no different than a potential psychological addiction to healthy food. Anything can become your crack -- the key is not to get addicted or dependent, because then you've put your faith in the wrong place. Gotta roll with it & live it up.

The anxiety over what pills to take or foods to avoid reveals our underlying need for control. There's a difference between being a healthy, well-informed person who strategically supplements his diet & nervous, pill-popping wreck obsessed with every single change in his body, expecting the worst.

Stressing over what supplements to take or what foods to eat or whether or not we should get sunlight -- sunlight! for god's sake -- will not only make you lose your hair, but it can reduce you to a paranoid, borderline hypochondriac control freak. And I'm sure we're all better than that, fellas. Wink

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next