Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyToday at 12:43 am by MikeGore

» zombie cells
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo

+17
pancacke
fredounet
CF
TransGirl
a
Hairbeback
LittleFighter
ubraj
act
helpmyhair1
tooyoung
LA-Night
theseeker
randle20
CausticSymmetry
The Natural
abc123
21 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo Empty Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo

Post  abc123 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 am

Vitamin D fights urinary tract infections
Thursday, February 03, 2011 by: S. L. Baker, features writer

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031194_vitamin_D_urinary_tract_infections.html#ixzz1DyFWjibJ

Besides protecting from cancer, obesity, autoimmune diseases and cardiovascular problems, vitamin D helps build strong bones. And scientists have found this health building vitamin has a remarkable impact on the immune system, too. Vitamin D, it turns out, is necessary for the production of anti-microbial peptides, substances that fight off infection-causing bacteria, fungi, and viruses when these pathogens try to move into organs and through mucous membranes.

In fact, previous research has shown adequate vitamin D can help prevent colds and flu as well as serious lung infections, including tuberculosis. Now Swedish researchers from the Karolinska Institute and Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm have evidence that higher vitamin D levels offer especially strong protection against another common health problem -- urinary tract infections (UTIs).

In their new study, just published in the journal PLoS One, the scientists wrote: "In the light of the rapidly growing problem of resistance to common urinary tract antibiotics, we suggest that vitamin D may be a potential complement in the prevention of UTI. Determining the vitamin D status of individuals with a history of UTI may be of importance to evaluate their ability to fend off intruding bacteria."

The research team pointed out that the urinary tract is frequently exposed to infection-causing agents and has a built-in, rapid defense system. When pathogens threaten, an antimicrobial peptide known as cathelicidin is expressed if a person has a healthy immune system. The peptide is secreted by bladder epithelial cells and protects the urinary tract from an infection.

So what role does vitamin D play? The Swedish study found that vitamin D actually induces cathelicidin in the urinary bladder -- but only when a boost in the antimcrobial peptide is needed in the face of a threatening infection. The researchers found this out when they analyzed bladder tissue biopsied from postmenopausal women to check for expression of cathelicidin before and after the research volunteers took supplements of vitamin D (in the form of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3) for three months. When the bladder cells were infected with the UTI-causing germ E. coli, the scientists observed a significant increase in cathelicidin expression after vitamin D supplementation.

This means vitamin D has a huge advantage over mainstream medicine's widely prescribed antibiotics for urinary tract infections. That's because when UTIs are treated with antibiotics, the drugs can harm beneficial bacteria in the gut and wreak havoc in the body. But vitamin D only produces germ-killing peptides at the site of an infection when needed, leaving "friendly bacteria" totally unharmed.

"By inducing and activating cathelicidin with vitamin D, a local rather than a systemic effect can be achieved. This could offer selective and site-specific treatment of pathogens without perturbing commensal [friendly] microbes elsewhere in the body," the scientists stated in their paper.

Full paper:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015580

abc123

Back to top Go down

Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo Empty Re: Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo

Post  The Natural Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Very informative, thank you. And another of countless reasons why we should be supplementing our diet with vitamin D3.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo Empty Re: Don't throw out your vitamin D, imo

Post  The Natural Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 pm

posted by Robdan, 17.02.2011, 15:12

"Over the last twenty years I've lost about 50% of the hair on my head. I pretty much resigned myself to living without that hair.

I started taking 3,000 IU's of liquid vitamin D3 (gelcaps - daily) last fall to protect against the flu over the winter. I don't take any other vitamins or drugs and my life style hasn't changed since last fall. After about three and a half months, I surprisingly noticed that my hair is growing back at a rather rapid rate.

I checked the internet to see if there could be any connection between vitamin D3 and hair regrowth. I found the following information on a Dermatology Journal;

http://anagen.ucdavis.edu/1602/reviews/vitamind/rashid.html

It appears that the hair follicle needs a component within vitamin D3 to initiate the action that moves the follicle from the resting state to the growth state.

Not saying it will work for everyone else, but it's working for me."

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

The Natural - Interesting info!

I remember when I introduced high dose Cod liver oil into my routine, I had notice that my hair health was quite good following that period. Of course, later on I made some modifications and now take straight Vitamin D along with Krill oil.

The way I look at it is, human beings were once in the outdoors for most hours of the day, living closer to warmer climates (at least way back thousands of years ago), so the antimicrobial peptides via increased vitamin D synthesis by the sun enabled us to have protective UVB radiation against microbes and negative bacteria, not to mention power anti-inflammatory action.

Also, as shown in the supportive studies on that link, there are at least a few showing that vitamin D is crucial for hair growth. Perhaps some forms of hair loss are milder forms of adult rickets.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 pm

I believe that Vitamin D3 also reduces Lipoprotein(a) when dosed adequately.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  randle20 Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 pm

CS, What would you consider the adequate dose?
randle20
randle20

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm

The more that I read the posts (testimonies) of others, the more I am convinced that my vitamin D3 intake is too low. I reported a while ago that something has caused areas of thinner hair to really thicken and grow during these pasts months, and questioned whether it was the royal jelly or Paradise Herbs' turmeric and resveratrol that I started.

About the same time (included in the same order of supplements), I switched from Carlson's 1000 IU (which I took daily) to LEF's 5000 IU/vitamin K/kelp (which I now take once-a-week). Interested to see what happens when I increase this dosage to twice or thrice weekly.

Dr. Mercola is adamant that most adults should be getting at least 5000 IUs a day, and studying some of the information that his website provides, I understand why.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Vitamin D really hasn't received enough attention on this board lately. I believe it was instrumental in many respects to my own success.

I take 10,000 IU daily and will be doing so until I am outdoors enough to warrant taking less.

If anyone has pale skin, this a real reason to jump on the Vitamin D bandwagon, because there are crucial factors
missing. There is no question according to the medical literature on the importance of vitamin D and hair growth.

Vitamin D will improve metal chelation, so if anyone is paranoid of taking vitamin D for whatever reason, you might be selling yourself short.

Vitamin D is important for optimal thyroid hormone activity. That means that it will have a positive influence over Lp(a).

Vitamin D raises glutathione levels, which is the key reason why it helps remove heavy metals.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 pm

CS do you take the "Now" brand of D3? I remember i was reading the fantastic article on Healthyfixx that had a list of supplements in the "Have This NOT That - Supplements!" and the recommended one for Vit D was the Now brand.

theseeker

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 pm

IH, you are right. And I thank you for bringing the importance of vitamin D3 to my attention initially. After which, I continue to read more and more posts, studies - evidence that support your experience. Also, with the inconvenience of spending enough time in the sun, as well as the dangers of sun-tanning beds, supplements seem to be a logical alternative.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:15 am

theseeker wrote:CS do you take the "Now" brand of D3? I remember i was reading the fantastic article on Healthyfixx that had a list of supplements in the "Have This NOT That - Supplements!" and the recommended one for Vit D was the Now brand.

That article mentioned the difference between D2 and D3. Virtually all brands of D3 are made the same way. Now brand is reliable, but also Healthy Origins has a really good deal on D3.

I've been using this one right here: http://tinyurl.com/47lyvcx

I also have some 5,000 IU as well when I want to reduce the dosage.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 am

Despite its critics, my own experience with vitamin D has been positive.

I've been on Vitamin D for nearly 2 years. The most obvious impact was increased color to my face and skin. I used to be pale until I took vitamin D. Now I have a healthy glow.

Also, with the exception of detox-related flu, I haven't gotten sick in 2 years.

I think lots of people are scared to post their experiences with vitamin D for fear of sparking another vitamin D war or getting flamed by either side. But intelligent debate is always good.

We can only post our experiences with the supplement and let the chips fall where they may, debate-wise.

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:51 am

I was on 10,000 iu EOD for a while months last year, but as combination of summer and jdps posts put me off somewhat and I didn't resume after, I still have the d3 sitting in my cupboard.

I noticed more colour to my skin, but can't remember much change other than that. I will start taking again and see how it goes.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  helpmyhair1 Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:21 am

I had 1000iu tablets if D3. Should I take 5 at once with a meal? or should I take a couple with each meal?

helpmyhair1

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:52 am

helpmyhair1 - It takes a while for Vitamin D3 to build up, so it actually doesn't matter how you take it. All at once is fine.

It's best to take it with a meal containing fat.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 am

Daily consumption of vitamin D- or vitamin D + calcium-fortified yogurt drink improved glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized clinical trial.
Nikooyeh B, Neyestani TR, Farvid M, Alavi-Majd H, Houshiarrad A, Kalayi A, Shariatzadeh N, Gharavi A, Heravifard S, Tayebinejad N, Salekzamani S, Zahedirad M.
Source

Laboratory of Nutrition Research, National Research Institute and Faculty of Nutrition and Food Technology, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Low serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] have been associated with impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes.
OBJECTIVE:

This study aimed to compare the effects of daily intake of vitamin D- or vitamin D(3) + calcium-fortified yogurt drink on glycemic status in subjects with type 2 diabetes (T2D).
DESIGN:

Ninety diabetic subjects were randomly allocated to 3 groups to consume plain yogurt drink (PY; containing no vitamin D and 150 mg Ca/250 mL), vitamin D-fortified yogurt drink (DY; containing 500 IU vitamin D(3) and 150 mg Ca/250 mL), or vitamin D + calcium-fortified yogurt drink (DCY; containing 500 IU vitamin D(3) and 250 mg Ca/250 mL) twice per day for 12 wk. Fasting serum glucose (FSG), glycated hemoglobin (Hb A(1c)), homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), serum lipid profile, and percentage fat mass (FM) were assessed before (baseline) and after the intervention.
RESULTS:

In both the DY and DCY groups, mean serum 25(OH)D(3) improved (+32.8 ± 28.4 and +28.8 ± 16.1 nmol/L, respectively; P < 0.001 for both), but FSG [-12.9 ± 33.7 mg/dL (P = 0.015) and -9.6 ± 46.9 mg/dL (P = 0.035)], Hb A(1c) [-0.4 ± 1.2% (P < 0.001) and -0.4 ± 1.9% (P < 0.001)], HOMA-IR [-0.6 ± 1.4 (P = 0.001) and -0.6 ± 3.2 (P < 0.001)], waist circumference (-3.6 ± 2.7 and -2.9 ± 3.3; P < 0.001 for both), and body mass index [in kg/m(2); -0.9 ± 0.6 (P < 0.001) and -0.4 ± 0.7 (P = 0.005)] decreased significantly more than in the PY group. An inverse correlation was observed between changes in serum 25(OH)D(3) and FSG (r = -0.208, P = 0.049), FM (r = -0.219, P = 0.038), and HOMA-IR (r = -0.219, P = 0.005).
CONCLUSION:

Daily intake of a vitamin D-fortified yogurt drink, either with or without added calcium, improved glycemic status in T2D patients. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01229891.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue May 24, 2011 4:00 am

Vitamin D supplementation reduces insulin resistance in South Asian women living in New Zealand who are insulin resistant and vitamin D deficient - a randomised, placebo-controlled trial.
von Hurst PR, Stonehouse W, Coad J.
Source

Institute of Food, Nutrition and Human Health, Massey University, Private Bag 102 904, North Shore Mail Centre, Auckland, New Zealand. p.r.vonhurst@massey.ac.nz
Abstract

Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) has been shown to correlate with increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Small, observational studies suggest an action for vitamin D in improving insulin sensitivity and/or insulin secretion. The objective of the present study was to investigate the effect of improved vitamin D status on insulin resistance (IR), utilising randomised, controlled, double-blind intervention administering 100 microg (4000 IU) vitamin D(3) (n 42) or placebo (n 39) daily for 6 months to South Asian women, aged 23-68 years, living in Auckland, New Zealand. Subjects were insulin resistant - homeostasis model assessment 1 (HOMA1)>1.93 and had serum 25(OH)D concentration < 50 nmol/l. Exclusion criteria included diabetes medication and vitamin D supplementation >25 microg (1000 IU)/d. The HOMA2 computer model was used to calculate outcomes. Median (25th, 75th percentiles) serum 25(OH)D(3) increased significantly from 21 (11, 40) to 75 (55, 84) nmol/l with supplementation. Significant improvements were seen in insulin sensitivity and IR (P = 0.003 and 0.02, respectively), and fasting insulin decreased (P = 0.02) with supplementation compared with placebo. There was no change in C-peptide with supplementation. IR was most improved when endpoint serum 25(OH)D reached > or = 80 nmol/l. Secondary outcome variables (lipid profile and high sensitivity C-reactive protein) were not affected by supplementation. In conclusion, improving vitamin D status in insulin resistant women resulted in improved IR and sensitivity, but no change in insulin secretion. Optimal vitamin D concentrations for reducing IR were shown to be 80-119 nmol/l, providing further evidence for an increase in the recommended adequate levels. Registered Trial No. ACTRN12607000642482.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react Tue May 24, 2011 4:38 am

Don't think anybody ever argued that unconverted Vit-D supplementation wasn't theraputic.

Last edited by act<react on Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total

"You owe the companies nothing. You especially don't owe them any courtesy. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs."

- Banksy
act<react
act<react

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Tue May 24, 2011 4:47 am

There was a time read the overwhelming information regarding D3 supplement and recommended for years. Problem being is that it can all get so complicated most won't understand what's actually going on. I posted info to make up for the wrongs but in the end it's up to everyone to make their own decisions after research. All I can really do is to tell someone to research as in depth as they can before making up their mind

Reason why I'm so against is that you have almost irreversible long-term issues for the general population. Especially those with l-form bacteria. Just look at the info regarding dental health ---> ill health and spirochetes thread to show just how many are infected is alarming.

Anyhow, inflammation is huge in most ailments. Stopping inflammation with D3 pill... again, setting self up for almost irreversible long-term issues. Might as well take an allergy pill to lower immune system over a D3 pill.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071106133106.htm

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue May 24, 2011 4:49 am

Response to Vitamin D Supplementation during Antarctic Winter Is Related to BMI, and Supplementation Can Mitigate Epstein-Barr Virus Reactivation1,2,3

1. Sara R. Zwart4,
2. Satish K. Mehta5,
3. Robert Ploutz‐Snyder4,
4. YaVonne Bourbeau5,
5. James P. Locke6,
6. Duane L. Pierson6, and
7. Scott M. Smith6,*

+ Author Affiliations

4Universities Space Research Association, Houston, TX 77058
5Enterprise Advisory Services, Inc., Houston, TX 77058
6Space Life Sciences Directorate, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058

1. *To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: scott.m.smith@nasa.gov.

Abstract

Maintaining vitamin D status without sunlight exposure is difficult without supplementation. This study was designed to better understand interrelationships between periodic vitamin D supplementation and immune function in Antarctic workers. The effect of 2 oral dosing regimens of vitamin D supplementation on vitamin D status and markers of immune function was evaluated in people in Antarctica with no UV light exposure for 6 mo. Participants were given a 2000-IU (50 μg) daily (n = 15) or 10,000-IU (250 μg) weekly (n = 14) vitamin D supplement for 6 mo during a winter in Antarctica. Biological samples were collected at baseline and at 3 and 6 mo. Vitamin D intake, markers of vitamin D and bone metabolism, and latent virus reactivation were determined. After 6 mo, the serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration (mean ± SD) increased from 56 ± 17 to 79 ± 16 nmol/L and from 52 ± 10 to 69 ± 9 nmol/L in the 2000-IU/d and 10,000-IU/wk groups, respectively (main effect over time, P < 0.001). Participants with a greater BMI (participant BMI range = 19–43 g/m2) had a smaller increase in 25-hydroxyvitamin D after 6-mo supplementation (P < 0.05). Participants with high serum cortisol and higher serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D were less likely to shed Epstein-Barr virus in saliva (P < 0.05). The doses given raised vitamin D status in participants not exposed to sunlight for 6 mo, and the efficacy was influenced by baseline vitamin D status and BMI. The data also provide evidence that vitamin D, interacting with stress, can reduce risk of latent virus reactivation during the winter in Antarctica.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 am

jdp701 wrote:There was a time read the overwhelming information regarding D3 supplement and recommended for years. Problem being is that it can all get so complicated most won't understand what's actually going on. I posted info to make up for the wrongs but in the end it's up to everyone to make their own decisions after research. All I can really do is to tell someone to research as in depth as they can before making up their mind

Reason why I'm so against is that you have almost irreversible long-term issues for the general population. Especially those with l-form bacteria. Just look at the info regarding dental health ---> ill health and spirochetes thread to show just how many are infected is alarming.

Anyhow, inflammation is huge in most ailments. Stopping inflammation with D3 pill... again, setting self up for almost irreversible long-term issues. Might as well take an allergy pill to lower immune system over a D3 pill.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071106133106.htm

JDP, you don't have a shred of evidence to suggest "long term" vitamin-d supplementation is harmful. I have looked at all your posts on Vitamin-D, there is simply not enough evidence to support your position just speculation.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react Tue May 24, 2011 4:59 am

My experiences with sunlight are so vastly different than that of with little pills that those results could mean a lot of things, I felt slightly better, a little lagged adding Vit-D via supplements while I did a month ago without mentioning it on the forum, and then stopped after a week as the sun started to really shine. I think you probably saw my sunlight thread, well the more sunshine I force myself into the more I get a reaction, though now its starting to taper down, and like my heavy chelation experience, I'm starting to get an improvement in baseline symptoms afterwards, not to mention for some reason I'm tanning like a Model, scary shit and my Girlfriend is insanely jealous, this is very strange for me and probably has a lot to do with my avoidance of unconverted D and more recent consumption of more co-factors. Either way, It's intriguing to explore the differences between the Sun and a pill, as the variance in results are very real.

"You owe the companies nothing. You especially don't owe them any courtesy. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs."

- Banksy
act<react
act<react

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Tue May 24, 2011 5:00 am

This is an important topic and a healthy discussion should take place.

From what I've researched, not much though, the marshall procol is useless and has NO REAL, solid, scientific backing. This is the official position of various respected people I know. Actually the vast majority of people end up WORSE after following the protocol.

Wouldn't be surprised that bigger organizations with an agenda are behind this Marshall protocol thing. That wouldn't be anything new.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 am

Brian himself, has reported huge benefits from "high" dose supplementation.

Some other people too... Regardless if that is subjective or not, that's something positive to consider. I think I've experienced better glycemic control with D supplementation (not just D BTW, but the correct way IMHO, with the other companion vit's).
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Tue May 24, 2011 5:09 am

LittleFighter wrote:This is an important topic and a healthy discussion should take place.

From what I've researched, not much though, the marshall procol is useless and has NO REAL, solid, scientific backing. This is the official position of various respected people I know. Actually the vast majority of people end up WORSE after following the protocol.

Wouldn't be surprised that bigger organizations with an agenda are behind this Marshall protocol thing. That wouldn't be anything new.

JDP doesn't advocate the marshal protocol. Just the theories on bacteria and vitamin d.

But if supplemental vitamin D actually caused "long term irreversible health issues" it would be very apparent, yet he has no evidence.

Hundreds of studies and personal testimonials say otherwise.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next