Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Fasting stopped my hair loss EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Fasting stopped my hair loss

+15
thissucks
rogar6
hair grower
fredounet
albe
johnt
LA-Night
CausticSymmetry
Gibson
Prague
Paradox
DBAL
ubraj
JosephineMarie
Warren
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fasting stopped my hair loss Empty Fasting stopped my hair loss

Post  Warren Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:03 am

Back in November 2009, I decided to test whether a fast might help with some of my problems. After reading a few books on the matter, I went on a water fast. The fast lasted 11 days and I lost about 20lbs.

Almost immediately I noticed my basal temperature increase. By day 8 my basal temperature was 98.0! I rarely see my normal daily temperature that high, nevermind morning basal temperature which is rarely above 97.0.

The hair loss also seemed to stop. By day 6 I noticed I wasn't getting handfuls of hair in the shower. It was around 5 or 10 which was a dramatic improvement.

Unfortunately, when I started eating food again the basal temperature fell back to the usual 96.8 and the hair resumed its shedding. I have since tried eating mono-diets but have been unsuccessful in reproducing the fasting effects.

Naturally, I thought it was true that perhaps something in my diet is the reason for my health problems. However, it was also suggested that fasting longer than 2 days causes your body to go into starvation mode which then kicks up the DHEA production. According to my blood tests, I am VERY LOW in DHEA-S. At the moment I am trying pregnenolone and 7-keto.

Another idea I had was that starvation also produces ketones as your body burns stored fat for energy. Increasing my fat intake, through coconut oils and other fats, did nothing though.

Does anyone want to try to reproduce my results? I would be curious if fasting fixes hair loss for others on this forum. However, it is pretty hard to go on a long fast and you need to be committed. Fortunately, most people on this forum seem quite motivated to do what it takes to combat hair loss.

Does anybody have any other ideas why the fasting seemed to work? Or any ideas of experiments I should try to recreate the fasting results?

Warren

Back to top Go down

Fasting stopped my hair loss Empty Re: Fasting stopped my hair loss

Post  JosephineMarie Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 am

Why starve yourself when you can just take DHEA to increase your levels? I'm not saying fasting isn't a good thing, but..... For what this may be worth to you--something I learned recently about hormones, and you may know this already--it's better to take physiologic rather than pharmacologic doses when it comes to hormones--if you take too much Preg and DHEA your body could decide that it has no reason to produce it itself--it basically becomes lazy and dependent on supplementation. Dr. David Brownstein wrote about this in his book "Natural Hormones." Just thought I'd share this with you. He said really 25 mg. of Preg is too much for most people and that's the lowest dose typically sold OTC. I don't remember at this moment how much he said on DHEA but his recommendation was pretty low--like 5-10 mg and even less for women.
JosephineMarie
JosephineMarie

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:25 am

Hapyman and I mentioned this to each other something like 1 1/2 years ago. I believe it would be common for others as well. My research came to an end about 9 months ago why it worked ----> it's the food that's causing the hair loss. In short, look for lectins, gluten, casein, corn, soy, oxalates, msg/sulfites (also found in most shampoo) being at the top of the list and then look into aldosterone (potassium, magnesium, lead detox).

Regarding DHEA, you can raise DHEA levels via magnesium chloride. Internal magnesium supplements however don't raise DHEA levels.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  DBAL Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:47 am

JDP - so is there any use to taking Magnesium Orally?

Im interested in raising DHEA levels but i was recently diagnosed as suffering from Adrenal Fatigue and I just read this

"Note: Magnesium supplements take time to work to build DHEA and only work to build DHEA if you have the proper oils, cholesteral and enzymes in your system. People that have problems with their adrenal glands and/or that have a body temperature lower than 98 degrees F. find it difficult to produce DHEA and should take DHEA supplements."

In light of this, I imagine one sort out adrenals and thyroid first. Ive been on the top6 for a while and it hasnt effected me too much, and im thinking its very important to sort out underlying health issues first. My doctor has given me licorice root and some chinese powder with ginseng in - has made a difference so far.

DBAL

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 am

That's interesting regarding internal magnesium being able to raise DHEA if no adrenal fatigue/thyroid problem ... wasn't aware of that. Maybe that's why in the book Magnesium for Life one doctors practice magnesium supplements don't raise DHEA but only magnesium chloride does as many many people suffer from adrenal fatigue/thyroid problems.

Regarding any use for internal magnesium, magnesium malate is a good form to take if you have lyme disease and I'm sure preferable over magnesium chloride and other forms of magnesium. Other than that and convenience I can't think of any off the top of my head.

hope this helps

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  Warren Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 am

DBAL:

That was a really interesting quote on adrenals, body temperature, and being unable to produce DHEA. I have not seen that anywhere. Where did you read this?

DBAL wrote:JDP - so is there any use to taking Magnesium Orally?

Im interested in raising DHEA levels but i was recently diagnosed as suffering from Adrenal Fatigue and I just read this

"Note: Magnesium supplements take time to work to build DHEA and only work to build DHEA if you have the proper oils, cholesteral and enzymes in your system. People that have problems with their adrenal glands and/or that have a body temperature lower than 98 degrees F. find it difficult to produce DHEA and should take DHEA supplements."

In light of this, I imagine one sort out adrenals and thyroid first. Ive been on the top6 for a while and it hasnt effected me too much, and im thinking its very important to sort out underlying health issues first. My doctor has given me licorice root and some chinese powder with ginseng in - has made a difference so far.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post  Warren Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:47 am

jdp701:

What exactly are you eating then?

jdp701 wrote:Hapyman and I mentioned this to each other something like 1 1/2 years ago. I believe it would be common for others as well. My research came to an end about 9 months ago why it worked ----> it's the food that's causing the hair loss. In short, look for lectins, gluten, casein, corn, soy, oxalates, msg/sulfites (also found in most shampoo) being at the top of the list and then look into aldosterone (potassium, magnesium, lead detox).

Regarding DHEA, you can raise DHEA levels via magnesium chloride. Internal magnesium supplements however don't raise DHEA levels.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 pm

jdp,

Do you think that regrowth is possible without a topical if diet and lead are corrected, or just no further loss/recession?

Can you please elaborate on what to do specifically for aldosterone and the relationship with lead?

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  DBAL Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Warren, here is where I lifted it from. A third of the way down.

Here

Found a few people saying how supplementing DHEA caused increased hair loss due to raising T and consequentially DHT. Haven't done my research on it so don't know what the general concensus is.

DBAL

Back to top Go down

Post  Warren Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks DBAL!

DBAL wrote:Warren, here is where I lifted it from. A third of the way down.

Here

Found a few people saying how supplementing DHEA caused increased hair loss due to raising T and consequentially DHT. Haven't done my research on it so don't know what the general concensus is.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 am

Warren,

there are several ways to reproduce the fasting effect:

1) cabbage juice detox (you boil red cabbage and you drink the water only) - not suitable for long term
2) (raw) meat only diet - i tried this one
3) the detox and diet inspired by Ori Hofmekler's Warrior & Antiestrogenic diets

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 am

IMO raw meat will completely undermine the effect of a fast. Even uncooked, meat isn't enzyme rich and burdens the digestive tract to some extent I guess depending on your affinity to it. Plus with a fast you are experiencing fat burning from body fat stores moving towards a deficit, which the body rarely experiences. Not sure why you would want to create a surplus of fat and undermine that course: Raw veggie or fruit juice is ok. Digestive enzymes could potentially in theory augment a fast, or get you there more quickly. NextZyme are the best I have used to date.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:17 am

Aajonus Vonderplanitz who eats only raw meat, needs only 4 hours of sleep per night because there are very little in the way of toxins from the food, it's all loaded with enzymes.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 am

I've seen Ajonus; at least superficially, he does not look like someone who is on what I'd call a clean diet: in this regard, the skin and eyes reveal all. Only on this forum could meat consumption pop up on a thread about fasting!! u realize u guys are meat facists--I mean that jokingly.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Warren Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 am

My Dad only needs 4 hours of sleep and he eats like crap. I'm pretty sure his food and body are filled with toxins. Two of my sisters inherited my Dad's sleep ability as well and they don't sleep much either.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:33 am

Gibson wrote:I've seen Ajonus; at least superficially, he does not look like someone who is on what I'd call a clean diet: in this regard, the skin and eyes reveal all. Only on this forum could meat consumption pop up on a thread about fasting!! u realize u guys are meat facists--I mean that jokingly.

Hey man. I've been away for months, but I remember you were on a meat-centric diet a while ago. Seems like it didn't work out for you, at all. How'd you feel when you were eating so much meat?

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:52 am

LA-Night--

Basically, I gained about 25 pounds, and lost a lot of that healthy glow. I can see it in photographs--I don't have one good photo from recent time. Also, my workouts were forced into being more focused on detox, so were more challenging. With less of the detox burden, I can perform much better. As I mentioned, it is very clear to me that I do not thrive on a meat-based diet.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Gibson - I've been following what you've ben saying lately re diet and I agree. I've also tried a more "meat based" diet and did not feel good on it -- I wasn't opting for main stream meats from the local grocers either, I was very critical about the quality and source of meat I consumed. All the other sources of saturated fat didn't seem to help much either (i.e., butter, full fat milk, eggs). I'm not saying it's not for anyone, just that I expeienced similar things to you. My energy slumped, I think my hair got worse, my sleep sufferd, and my performance suffered. I think for active people like ourselves this type of diet is not ideal ... after experiencing it I can't imagine how anyone who is truly active all around could thrive on it. I still think about how it seemed to weight me down when I needed performance.

What does seem to work best for me is more like what misterE is recommending; however not vegan -- more of a mediterranean diet I'd say. I do well on a diet heavy on vegetables, fruit, fish, moderate red wine, and healthy oils, some rice and other grains. I like to keep it light. FWIW, since switching back, I feel more energy, overall radiance, better sleep, and just better overall.

johnt

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

johnt--

I think this forum is somewhat unique in its take on diet. Perhaps that is why it is almost evangelical about its stance on meat and fat consumption. It certainly didn't do an ounce of good for me. Have you ever seen the Ren and Stimpy "Fake Dad" episode, where they feed Kawalski. It kinda borders on that (seriously suggesting meat in a thread on fasting: that is hands down classic). But joking aside, I'm not one to pounce on another's convictions, so I respect whatever is fueling such conviction. I just wish there were more vocal veggie heads around 6 months ago to steer me away from what I deem a big mistake. At this point I don't plan to be an all out vegan, but leaning in the direction that MisterE mentions has definitely been a huge help.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Gibson wrote:LA-Night--

Basically, I gained about 25 pounds, and lost a lot of that healthy glow. I can see it in photographs--I don't have one good photo from recent time. Also, my workouts were forced into being more focused on detox, so were more challenging. With less of the detox burden, I can perform much better. As I mentioned, it is very clear to me that I do not thrive on a meat-based diet.

25 lbs?! Did you manage to burn it off after changing your diet?

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:59 am

LA-Night wrote:
Gibson wrote:LA-Night--

25 lbs?! Did you manage to burn it off after changing your diet?

Not all of it yet. But my gut is a lot more comfortable now. I can suck it in and tighten it and have that feeling of a tight gut, not full intestines. I've definitely lost some weight. But there is some visceral fat that I want to burn. I was really low body fat before, couldn't pinch more than a quarter inch. I can still rock my shirt off and get away with slim jeans, somewhat skinny jeans. But yeah as one friend keeps pointing out, I haven't lost it all yet. I put two inches on around the waistline. That's gonna be a bitch to lose, but I am definitely moving in the right direction now.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 am

Paradox wrote:jdp,

Do you think that regrowth is possible without a topical if diet and lead are corrected, or just no further loss/recession?

Can you please elaborate on what to do specifically for aldosterone and the relationship with lead?

Hey Paradox,

Probably most everyone will not get regrowth through diet and lead detox IMO. However, if they focus on calcification as well they the chances go up much much higher.

Regarding aldosterone, I made some good posts with links and quotes to back up everything I'm about to say a couple months back but can't find it right now. In short, check out CS's page http://www.immortalhair.org/physiology.htm

Also, off the top of my head regarding aldosterone you want to check for phosphate issues (too much fruit for ancestry. Also too much sugar), potassium levels normalize once thyroid is normal, possibly thallium detox (cutler protocol R+LA/potassium), low magnesium levles, processed foods are devoid of potassium. Also, low potassium and food sensitivity go hand in hand.

hope this helps

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 am

Hey Jdp,

I have read a bit on K/Mg/Na balancing, and have started some KCl powder that I had on reserve. I don't know if it has been coincidental but the few days I took it I've felt and even looked much better- clearer eyes. I think K may be a missing link for me because I take lots of Mg and sea salt.

I did get some stomach pain and the runs on the third day. I'm wondering if that is just from the chloride or from too much K itself? I took one day off and today I will try half the dose (1/8 tspn).

Do you think a lab for aldosterone is worth the $? Should I just go by how I feel?

I like the new Dr. but he's trying to push detoxamine edta suppositories on me for lead/mercury. I'm reading that there's no evidence to support the claims made, and the idea that oral edta is somehow absorbed up to 100% while oral edta is not absorbed is "nonsensical". The claims are that it equals IV administration. EDTA is also binds very weakly to Hg. The Cutler protocol seems to have the most scientific backing of all the chelation agents. I wish it wasn't so damn expensive though. i'm using some humifulvate and MCP as well, so hopefully I can get it all out.

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 am

Hey Paradox,

I'm not big believer in tests. Same with tests for heavy metals too.

Regarding EDTA suppositories, I really haven't researched them enough. I have recently learned I to beware of regular EDTA chelation though.

Boyd Haley did some research and found that the EDTA/mercury complex
is more toxic than mercury alone (100 x more, if my memory is correct).

http://onibasu.com/archives/fdc/12461.html

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/195812.html

Similiar issues with zinc ... if not taking copper to balance as well.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  albe Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 am

Gibson, what was your rough caloric intake on the meat-based diet, and what was your caloric intake before?

It's very easy to fill yourself up with few calories on a veggie-based diet, so if you don't watch calories carefully then this could have played a role.

albe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next