Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptyYesterday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptyYesterday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
What to expect from beta-sitosterol? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

What to expect from beta-sitosterol?

+5
baller234
LA-Night
misterE
tooyoung
Lambaugh
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What to expect from beta-sitosterol? Empty What to expect from beta-sitosterol?

Post  Lambaugh Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi guys

Is beta-sitosterol just as potent and effective as Finasteride? I am taking 125 mg two times a day.

I read somewhere (unfortunately I cannot remember where) that beta-sitosterol only lowers DHT locally around the prostate and follicles, so if I ever get my blood tested, I shouldn't expect to see an overall lowering of DHT. Is this correct?

Best,
Jim.

Lambaugh

Back to top Go down

What to expect from beta-sitosterol? Empty Re: What to expect from beta-sitosterol?

Post  tooyoung Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:39 am

How long you been taking beta sit? I'm thinking of getting some.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

What to expect from beta-sitosterol? Empty Re: What to expect from beta-sitosterol?

Post  Lambaugh Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:48 am

For 5 days now.

Lambaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 am

Lambaugh wrote:Hi guys

Is beta-sitosterol just as potent and effective as Finasteride? I am taking 125 mg two times a day.

I read somewhere (unfortunately I cannot remember where) that beta-sitosterol only lowers DHT locally around the prostate and follicles, so if I ever get my blood tested, I shouldn't expect to see an overall lowering of DHT. Is this correct?

Best,
Jim.

Beta-sitosterol seems to displace estrogen (and to some extent DHT) from SHBG, thus increasing its metabolic clearance. It also balances the immune system, lowers LDL-cholesterol, and prevents cholesterol absorption in the intestines.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Lambaugh Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 am

misterE wrote:
Lambaugh wrote:Hi guys

Best,
Jim.

Beta-sitosterol seems to displace estrogen (and to some extent DHT) from SHBG, thus increasing its metabolic clearance. It also balances the immune system, lowers LDL-cholesterol, and prevents cholesterol absorption in the intestines.

So it is naive of me to believe that it can halt hairloss?

Lambaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 am

I saw a blog with pictures of a guy claiming to reverse hairloss with beta sit.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Lambaugh Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Does it block 5ar?

Lambaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 am

I don't think so. Everyone seems to say it does but I've yet to see any evidence that it directly inhibits 5 alpha reductase. In fact on poster over at HLH got blood tests while on Beta-sitosterol and his DHT actually went up. I think it acts by blocking the receptor site. I had good results at stop shedding when using it in conjunction with finasteride but I wouldn't put any faith in it as a stand alone.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:56 am

I experimented w/beta sit a while ago & it gave me side effects comparable to those of finasteride. Be careful with this stuff.

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 am

From my experience and readings, beta sitosterol will do nothing to stop your hair loss. In fact, it may actually increase your scalp inflammation, and cause side effects similar to those of Propecia users (e.g. loss of libido).

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 pm

What do people think of it as a topical?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:15 pm

The Natural wrote:From my experience and readings, beta sitosterol will do nothing to stop your hair loss. In fact, it may actually increase your scalp inflammation, and cause side effects similar to those of Propecia users (e.g. loss of libido).

How could it possibly increase scalp inflammation? Anyway if causes sexual side effects, that means it is lowering/interfering with androgen activity which will benefit scalp hair.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:14 pm

As someone mentioned sides are comparable to fin, do the sides definitely cease once stopping using beta sit? Unlike fin in some cases.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:44 pm

baller234 wrote:How could it possibly increase scalp inflammation? Anyway if causes sexual side effects, that means it is lowering/interfering with androgen activity which will benefit scalp hair.

If I recall correctly (from the numerous comments that I read at Regrowth), many posters complained of increased itching when using high doses (say over 2-300 mg. per day) of beta sitosterol. It's one of the reasons IH dropped it.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 pm

I don't think itching or inflammation for that matter is always a bad thing. Inflammation is involved in wound healing. Have you ever noticed when a cut is healing it often itches? When I was on high doses of oral Spironolactone and finasteride, I had intense itching after applying copper peptides and yet I got tons of regrowth.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  Lambaugh Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:33 pm

The Natural wrote:From my experience and readings, beta sitosterol will do nothing to stop your hair loss. In fact, it may actually increase your scalp inflammation, and cause side effects similar to those of Propecia users (e.g. loss of libido).

If that is the case, then why on earth is CS recommending it for younger people? https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/natural-hair-regrowth-f1/buying-beta-sitosterol-t3586.htm?highlight=beta

Lambaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:10 pm

baller,

Apparently, this "itchiness" was unbearable for these people. And in many cases, it was followed by the shedding of hair. Again, from my readings, I am inclined to believe that this (scalp) itchiness/shedding is not a good thing.

Lambaugh,

It is not a question of if "that is the case." Unfortunately, it is the case. I believe IH now recommends a small dosage of beta sitosterol for young people.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:12 am

Yeah CS, recommended I take low dose beta sit. So does beta sit internal or external do nothing for hair?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  IntoTheWest Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:37 am

tooyoung - what is classed as a small dose? also what brand beta sit do you use?

IntoTheWest

Back to top Go down

Post  Lambaugh Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 am

The Natural wrote:It is not a question of if "that is the case." Unfortunately, it is the case. I believe IH now recommends a small dosage of beta sitosterol for young people.

Why only for young people? And for the record, I still don't understand why IH recommends beta sitosterol if it doesn't do anything.

Best,
Jim.

Lambaugh

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 am

I won't speak for CS but maybe he recommends it because it *may* help young people, despite its potentially negative side effects in sensitive users.

With finasteride, side effects can appear almost overnight. Plus, with all the negative attention it gets on the forums, there's a nacebo factor too. Its side effects are sensational and alarming. The side effects with beta sit, on the other hand, tend to be gradual and insidious.

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:41 am

Intothewest- 50-100mg, I haven't actually ordered any yet, i'm waiting until nid and CS's supplement line comes out before deciding what to do. If beta sit does nothing for hair loss I won't get any of that, but it must do something or CS wouldn't recommend it.

Somebody said ketoconazole works synergystically or something with beta sit, would crushing some tabs of beta sit into a bottle of nizoral make the shampoo more beneficial to my hair?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDivineMarquis Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:35 pm

I also experiencing some itching, but I also dermaroll, so... I dont think that itch and shedding are always a sign of recession; in fact, finasteride and other hair regrowth/maintenance agents, tend to cause sheds in their users. I´ve been using beta-sitosterol for quite a while (6 months), but last month I raised the dosage to 113mg twice per day.

I can see a lot of little hairs around my hairline, like a shadow of a hairline that i´ve a lost quite a while ago - so it´s difficult to say that it´s regrowing hair; I never know if those little dark hairs and vellus are regrowth or recession.
TheDivineMarquis
TheDivineMarquis

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:15 am

Never liked beta sitosterol.

It's from the old days of hair loss when people just randomly blocked DHT and didn't know what to do.

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next