Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB

+11
young trunks
bobthebuilder
TapItIn
Zaphod
PolandSpring
sanderson
hadrion
Thin in FL
rofl
CausticSymmetry
AS54
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB Empty Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB

Post  AS54 Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38 am

Hey everybody. I made a post a while back updating on the situation. As a recap, I discovered my testosterone was very low and my estrogen was very, very high. The endocrinologist I'm currently seeing placed me on anastrozole (per my request, he had to google the dose). This was late August. Fast forward to now. I'm still taking the drug as suggested, 1 mg daily until I feel low estrogen symptoms kick in and I'll take a day off. I feel better than I have in years. Subcutaneous fat is beginning to diminish, anxiety has virtually disappeared, feel more masculine, the pinprick/hot flashes I used to get frequently are completely gone, morning erections are consistent, erections have actually gotten larger and better quality. It really made me realize how much a high level of estrogen can effect you, or rather what an imbalance of the steroid hormones can do. It starts subtly though.

Anyhow, I've still noticed that the lateral third of my eyebrows has continued to thin (despite 3-4 months of 60mg Armour and perfect thyroid numbers) and my keratosis pilaris r.f. has not cleared at all. So I visited a dermatologist this morning.

I wasn't visiting for my hair (most of you guys know I'm shaved now and have gotten used to it), but within 5 minutes of seeing me she said flat out that I have auto-immune hair loss. I guess I didn't put it together. My pattern of loss was always diffuse and patchy but still within the bounds of the "horseshoe" so I chalked it up to MPB. She is certain, and will be performing a biopsy to confirm, that this is autoimmune. She explained it to me that there is a similar pathology to the two, mainly being a difference in magnitude and often the cause of the immune attack so that it is possible to have both. Being so young, I'm assuming that the autoimmune aspect has probably hastened the rate at which I would have lost hair due to the MPB process (father didn't start losing until 35, whereas I did at 19).

There were a few things she said were basically giveaways: The first was that some of the patches (particularly toward the front of the scalp) are very geometrically symmetric and circular. This isn't characteristic of MPB at the hairline. The second is that on my face I've had patches fall and grow in completely white, and some of the stubble on my scalp has grown in white.

After explaining to her the underlying hormonal imbalance, she basically said I need to see a different endo who knows what the fuck he/she is talking about, get the hormones in balance, and then proceed with her protocols. She, like me, agrees there's no sense in putting a bandaid on anything (topical steroids) without addressing the underlying cause. You aren't going to make a dent in autoimmune conditions as long as the sex hormones are out of whack. So there are sensible docs out there! So that's the update. I thought some people might find this interesting if they are dealing with any of the same symptoms. She also said she thinks (needs to be tested) that the heart of the problem is at the adrenal glands, and this would explain some of the differential symptoms I've experienced with low T, higher cortisol, and higher estrogen....so possibly an endocrine tumor. Will udpate as it unfolds.

[Very interesting thing to note. She was explaining a method she uses to treat autoimmune hairloss and says she has had the MOST hair regrowth with this method. Basically she introduces a type of organic acid that creates a TON of inflammation in the scalp, similar to getting a poison ivy rash. The intense immune cell infiltrate when it subsides will actually elminate the inflammatory cells that were there before, taking you below your normal inflammatory baseline. She said between this treatment and steroids, the former has been more successful hands down. This could start an interesting discussion here, and definitely is something we should be looking into as it turns everything I've thought about treating hairloss on its head!]
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB Empty Re: Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB

Post  AS54 Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:32 am

Squaric acid dibutylester (SADBE) as a contact sensitizer for alopecia areata

Studies in both animal and human systems have shown SADBE to be effective in the treatment of alopecia areata. Although negative in the Ames test and clinically seemingly effective, SADBE is not as commonly used as diphenylcyclopropenone (DCP) in the treatment of alopecia areata as it is reported to be unstable in acetone solution.

Two steps are required to trigger the body’s immune system with SADBE:

Sensitization to SADBE is generally accomplished with a 2% solution in acetone applied to an area on the scalp or upper arm. The skin becomes red, swollen, itchy, or blistered. This kind of skin reaction is a sign that the contact sensitizer will work. The resulting inflammation varies in severity with each individual depending on how allergic the person is to SADBE, the contact dermatitis inducing chemical. The next time SADBE is applied to the skin, the body's immune system reacts to it, and the affected area develops an allergic (immune) reaction.

After a 2-week delay to limit unnecessary irritation caused by the addition of the elicitation dose to the persistent sensitization one, a dilute concentration of 0.0001% to 0.001% SADBE is applied. The dose is adjusted weekly to find a reaction of minimal erythema without discomfort.

The first signs of hair growth are usually visible after 8-12 weeks of commencing treatment. Later the frequency of application may be reduced from weekly doses to a maintenance dose until complete hair re-growth is obtained, and eventually treatment may be discontinued. However, if a relapse occurs after discontinuation of therapy, treatment can be restarted immediately to stop further progression of Alopecia areata and induce renewed hair growth.
As a rule, contact sensitization treatment is initially always applied on one half of the scalp and the other side left untreated. Treating only one half of the head allows the physician to use the untreated half as a control. Once re-growth occurs on the treated half, treatment can be applied to the entire scalp.

If re-growth initially occurs on both sides, spontaneous remission is likely, although treatment cannot be excluded as the cause.
Although the exact mechanism of how contact sensitizers work remains to be fully elucidated, modification of the immune response at the sites of allergic contact dermatitis probably plays a major role. One current proposed mechanism is a local alteration in the helper-suppressor T-lymphocyte cell ratio. However, the popular belief is that irritants and contact dermatitis inducers work as antigenic competition. That is, the irritant chemical applied to the scalp is far more interesting to the inflammatory cells than the hair follicles. Thus the cells move away from the hair follicles and towards the skin surface where the irritation induced skin damage is or where the contact sensitizer chemical is present. It appears the cells find the skin damage or irritating chemical much more of a threat than any hair follicle antigens.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB Empty Re: Update on Hairloss Situation: Autoimmune AND MPB

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:02 pm

AS54 - In the spirit of being natural....I will make a few suggestions.  (1) Armour is not the same as it used to be...they changed it....Would recommend Nature-throid or West-throid instead.

Another point is that there are ways to naturally correct the T-lymphocyte imbalances T1/T2 helper cells..I call this alopecia areata.

Will have to continue this later, but interesting discussion...thanks for your post.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I need to get more knowledgeable on the immune system. Physiologically, its my weak spot and it is incredibly complicated. But I think its at the heart of all this. Thanks for the reply CS. I've heard mentioned several different things that can either boost T1 or T2, but without knowing exactly where I sit I'd hesitate to start anything at this point. I am probably going to await the barrage of tests I'm about to get and go from there. The new endo is likely going to do a whole panel to assess the adrenals. I think the adrenals are where my problem lies, and perhaps an adrenocarcinoma is the cause. But without the adrenal hormones in balance, trying to balance the immune system is pointless. The skin biopsy will also be helpful, and eventually I'd like to see an immunologist and get some more specific info on where I'm sitting in that regard.

The sticky aspect of adrenals is that your psychology can effect them so much.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  rofl Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:57 pm

This may sound mean, but i think its great that ur hairloss is autoimmune related. because thats a hell of alot easier to treat, and can even rectify itself.

on the other hand, if its on top of mpb, then it will be harder.

And yes, immunology is extremely hard and complicated. in fact it was the only subject out of a whole med science degree that i failed. its bloody hard.
rofl
rofl

Back to top Go down

Post  Thin in FL Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:49 am

Very informative post AS54.

"However, the popular belief is that irritants and contact dermatitis inducers work as antigenic competition. That is, the irritant chemical applied to the scalp is far more interesting to the inflammatory cells than the hair follicles. Thus the cells move away from the hair follicles and towards the skin surface where the irritation induced skin damage is or where the contact sensitizer chemical is present. It appears the cells find the skin damage or irritating chemical much more of a threat than any hair follicle antigens."

That paragraph got me thinking about Glycolic Acid and perhaps causing a similar response, as my scalp does feel quite irritated after application. Could be a correlation with the success some are having in another thread with Glycolic.

AS54: "Basically she introduces a type of organic acid that creates a TON of inflammation in the scalp" Do you know the type of organic acid she uses??

Last edited by Thin in FL on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Curious about what acid she uses)

Thin in FL

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:50 am

Yup, its called squaric acid. I think its a lot more potent than glycolic acid. She said the rash is comparable to a poison ivy rash in terms of irritation. As far as sources for this besides Rx, I have no clue.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:35 am

The theory that autoimmune hair loss is simpler to treat than MPB is just not correct. Many people's lives are destroyed by autoimmune hair loss because in many cases it's permanent or random in when it will flare up. Many of the treatments involve steroids or immunosuppressants that lead to a host of new problems.

As for Anthony, I'm glad you're getting some clarification on this stuff. Back when my hair began falling out they did 3 punch biopsies and told me it was a combo of scarring alopecia and MPB. The hair loss worsened for me using the drugs and treatments they prescribed until I dropped them and went natural (with the help of this original site) and my hair loss stopped completely after figuring out ways to combat inflammation internally. Many years ago I had a major herx reaction like nothing I'd ever had before and since then everything has been status quo.

It's all individual and it takes a ton of trial and error and patience to get the right protocol for yourself. And I'm always searching for the ways to get regrowth of what I lost way back when as that's been the thing I've been unable to conquer.

Whoever this derm is you saw sounds like a keeper. That's way out of the box thinking for a traditional derm who sees autoimmune hair loss in their practice.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out. I'll be following closely.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:20 am

good luck man, thanks for the update. have you ever looked into iodine for the estrogen related symptoms? do you think there is any more natural related routes to go, like different supps to help you with this?

possibly a auto immune food test to see what foods are triggering your immune system? maybe this is showing the signs of a wrecked gut?
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  PolandSpring Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 am

Interesting.

I have Crohns, an auto immune disorder and I think this is the major cause of my hair loss.

I, too, have the horseshoe pattern with very distinct patterns AND some loss throughout. I do not have a ton of facial hair, but a lot of it does also grow in white which I've always found strange. I'm in my low 20's.

How is your digestion? mine is still terrible. Constant constipation and my bowels never feel empty. Always bloated, crampy, and uncomfortable.

I also recently went on Humira which I understand is very dangerous, but It was a last ditch effort to fix my stomach issues. I was doing BAD.In and out of the hospital. I'm still not perfect on Humira, but I'm a little bit better. I've also started low dose naltrexone. Im throwing everything at my crohns and the crohns is winning.

I look forward to your updates.

PolandSpring

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:20 am

Thanks for the replies guys. The responses are appreciated.

Hadrion,

I totally agree with you. The way I've begun to look at all these forms of hair loss is on a spectrum, like autism. There is a cross-over of a lot of components, specifically the antigen/immune response aspect, but there are subtle differences between all of them, specifically what the antigenic factor is. With MPB and some AA in combination, I need a lot more information before I decide where I want to take the treatment. There are a lot of sources that could be creating the aberrant immune response and I want to explore all of them. A food antigen could be the cause, as they're finding with rheumatic arthritis. It could be something like Chron's. It could be a pathological organism. It could be the upset in hormone balance as well. Its frustrating and exciting. I probably wouldn't be excited if I hadn't gotten rid of the hair a while back, but at this point the focus of my mind's eye is really just how I can improve how I'll feel for the rest of my life.

Sanderson,

Thanks man. Yeah I have used iodine on and off for several years now. There was a time where I was going pretty high dosage with it, but found I did better scaling it back to a few mg per day. Unfortunately my estrogen levels were such a problem that no safe amount of iodine was going to correct them. Since starting the anastrozole I have felt better than I have in years. But I realize its a bandaid, and I need to get to the heart of the issue. I'll be seeing this endo (who I'm told is quite brilliant) later in November and will move forward from there.

Poland,

That's really interesting. I can say that I've had some figment of GI symptoms my whole life. Very sensitive to particular foods. Erratic spurts of diarrhea that will come and go, be fine for a few months and then boom I'm a mess for two weeks. I don't get a great deal of pain, as in stomach aches or anything of that sort. There is more of just this (hard to describe) low-level ache that is constant. I'm not normally conscious of it but if I touch or depress any area of my abdomen I'll feel the ache, which seems to be pretty deep (not originating in the superficial tissues). My abdominal wall seems to be distended as well. I'm carrying fat on the belly, but if I get to the muscle wall beneath, it is definitely protruding and there is a sensation of intraabdominal pressure a lot of the time. I'm constantly bloated and have the pot-belly effect. I also get a frequent pain in the rectum area, which I have attributed to proctalgia fugax, but I'm just not sure and need to explore it. But a bowel movement will sometimes set off the pain, which is like a stabbing sensation deep down, about 2-3 in above the anus.

All of this will get mentioned and a gastroenterologist might come into the picture before long. Will update as I am updated!
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:48 am

For some time I have been recommending those who have conditions, such as Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or other GI problems to look into MTHFr, which is a folate metabolism issue quite common in today's world.

Not surprisingly MTHFr has been confirmed to be a factor in autoimmune hair loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23954881

With respect to Crohn's disease, it's definitely a major factor.

If I were you, I would ditch Humira...but I think going to LDN is a wise move.

Also, I would take this supplement (or anyone with a suspected digestive issue).
http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Folate-Fully-Active-Featuring-Quatrefolic-400-mcg-90-Veggie-Caps/38067

This is not the over priced patented stuff that doesn't work half as well either...definitely worth a shot.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:02 am

Really informative CS, thanks! Its giving me more and more respect for this doctor though. She said one of the first things she wanted tested were my levels of the B's and also vitamin D. I'll mention this gene variant too, and regardless of whether or not I am ever tested for it, it can't hurt to throw some folate at it, just to save myself from the homocysteine!
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 am

This looks like a nice promising topic with you experienced, autoimmune MPB guys involved.

I never got this far in analyzing medically what my hair loss type was - at least not conventionally, but after decent time spent in researching the area, experimentating many things, i am also positive i suffer from autoimmune component of MPB. My balding actually started as alopecia areata, although some of the bald patches fully regrown on their own as it's common for this type of balding. As time went by i kind a new there will be problems on my scalp in the future and no surprises here a few scarring patches on my temples appeared in my latter teens. Also hairline started to move up at the same time. Not much, but noticeably. From then this was in-viable battle with many trial and error only, as our medical system is not something you can help yourself with in this conditions. According to my dermatologist i visited, i am in perfect health so as little as the blood picture was problem to get done. I wasn't always natural, but after dandruff and eye circles were introduced by minoxidil, i opened the internet as my only option for going naturally this time.

Anyway. This topic seems like a good spot to write a review of what I've tried and how i look at things after some time in this ''not many people i can talk with about'' sort of hobby. As you probably noticed, i don't go very deep into research wanting to understand every bit of a puzzle in this chaos of microbiology of how hormones, enzymes, nutrients, etc, pathogens and toxins get involved together, but rather try various things that have possible implications for the issue. (I think I'd be bald by now if I'd do any different as real research takes a lot of time in front of the comp, what would additionally gave me more off balance - minimizing the sun exposure, movement and making some practice of random regimens. I tend to keep major focus on different things and have no career medical implications.) So, i don't know much or as many as you do of why i am balding, but know what works for me at a the time as i am realizing more and more, that body is constantly changing, nothing is really constant and decline with aging is also a part of equation. So, here is the list of things I've tried.

Supplements:
Curcumin, Resveratrol, Krill, quercetin, vit E, vit C, EGCG,
This combo is sort of ''a must'' for myself as for gut issues metals involved, i am rather short on the capacity of natural antioxidants. Or as dr. Loyd would say - my aging factor is greater than normal. Despite genetics and similarity with my father time of greying, i have a few grey hair already. I am 26. Never tried to reverse it, in fact i am using it as reminder of what i am doing, and kind of like them, until they replicate, lol. As copper seem to be involved despite hydrogen peroxide, i try to get organic copper in my body various ways. Also because of zinc supplementation.

Antioxidants again. As i never thought i majorly benefited with it any of those, i sort of think it's very common sense for me to keep using it. Just later i've got some minor concern with curcumin, but not an alarm in the house in any way. As this is expensive combo, i cant afford all the time so i did try to experiment also with artificial electron donoring by electrostatic generator posted a while ago by rdkml. Not sure how well it works, but i kind of like being affected by it as it's peaceful feeling upthere. Many claims are being done about the unit, but time will tell if it's not just idea that shine bright. I definitely did not experienced any harm. In fact i feel sorry i don't use it more often. And am not loaded with viruses according to dr. Loyd. This also may be just a coincidence, this is left for you to judge.

ALC+RALA
As written in other thread, i cant stand this combo, it upsets my gut and makes my mind foggy for some time, sometimes i would experience a mild headache. I became really concerned that harm is being done by in terms of retoxification of metals. I didn't mention in the other thread, but the thing really upset my gut. Not when taking it, but after a while. Maybe it was sign of detox of anykind, and i'd have to assist with glutathione or milk probiotics or something else beside using it, but selenium was always out of question due regularly using it. I didn't want to be a person who will want to experiment with potential dangers that involve mercury. I didn't judge the effects of the combo in any way ''healing'', but more like a doping for increasing my performance for a period of time, but the body would need to reload then. If i take energy drink with ALC the effect is similar. Rather not.

B vitamins:
I am heavy drinker of quality brewers yeast. I drink it before, after and during the workout, or just with some apple juice to improve the taste. It's a thing, i'd say really contributes to my energy. Never felt depleted of anything by taking it.  I assume that no therapeutic dosage for some sort of goal is taken this way, but it's a feel good drink which at first produced some excess gas and bloating, but after a while things normalized and this is a real keeper for me. I am lucky to get it fresh from local producer.

B6-p5p, B-9 as methyl-folate, and B12 as methyl-cobalmin

This is what is most of my story. For undermethylators this should be a life changer. I have yet to test my MTHFR polymorphism, but i highly suspect my major defect is here so my methylation patterns are not as good as they should be. Additional my mother developed some disease states connceted with B6 deficiency so i dont doubt this have some strong ground for me. dr. Loyd however detected high pyrolles allong with some nasty gut infections. Addressing this along with zinc supplementation, cleared my skin and helped my gut a ton! Glutamine, proteins and probiotics are a fix, but this looks like a cure. I've experienced some nasty detox reactions at firstly using it. I am the testimonial of what CS just posted about MTHFR.

Detox agents:
Chlorella
I've felt its effect, but not a gentle one. I assume with cilantro this would be a really no go for me for toxic burden. But i take minor amount and tolerate it well, just rarely using it.

Humic/fulvic acid
Tried many forms of this product, happy with results. I remember I've first used it after having a workaholic week on my job breathing all kind of allergens - from mold, dust and formal-aldehyde. And after first night of usage my glutathione boost cleared my nose and eyes amazingly. I never experienced any kind of detox reactions but prefer it this way...

Iodine
I couldn't tolerate it at the beginning due my gut issues. I slowly upper the dosage over the time with a goal of iodine sufficiency and thyroid health. Despite some nasty detox effects, which salt loading saves in practically in no time, i'd recommend this for all who didn't have the nuts to do it yet. More rested sleep, this is for sure and more energy also.
My maintenance dose is 40mg in devided doses. Tried Iosol and Lugols, i am buying Lugols now. Experienced nothing from Kelp but leaking of the money.

Cholestepure
I emptied a bottle, i noticed nothing but good and according to dr. Loyd my test for mold showed as mold is not my concern. I also directed my diet toward lowering mold burden. I however get symptoms rather quickly and detox naturally also rather quickly. Meanwhile i noticed dust mites are my concern and i am moving into addressing it electrically.

Charcoal
After fatty meal with bile stimulators, my eyes started to be real white all of the sudden. ''I must have been loaded with mold toxins''. Now i am mold free and after prolonged usage of computer my eyes become still tired.

Selenium
Is as well as magnesium and zinc my friend in every case. Due long time undressed amalgam sickness, i think i developed sever deficiency of this nutrients. 200mcg +. Brazil nuts is not cost effective solution nor a good way of knowing how much you consume. But i run out of it, and i better be taking them.Smile

Sulfur
I never tried MSM or similar, but eat plenty of eggs, garlic and broccoli, including broccoli sprouts. Hope there is no harm in this. Hope is not very scientific term, but's food i feel good eating for quite some time.

Other minerals and vits: I suppose to benefit from molybdenum. I emptied a few bottles, not sure if the thing assisted some detox or not. Based on how i digest alcohol, i'd expect better results. Boron from decalcify, similar. K2 and vit, A similar. I don't doubt it's healthful to supplement with both but as never realizing plans with natto, i never spent much money on such.  Due autoimmunity i never went fully into vitamin D3 supplementation, but remembered ''too good to be true'' filling and white appearance in the mirror even at the late morning that made me think jdp's D3 theory is not based on imagination. I take vit A once or twice a week, in correlation with sun exposure. The question for d3 supplementation persist. Now maybe it's time to start to introduce it slowly after so much on iodine protocol. Dr. Loyd tested me as i don't need D3. Note: Sun always contributed to my well-being. I'd be more on this boards if sun was not such a value for me. For 1000W/m2 radiation it better does something good. For sun burns  - methylfolate + b12 + vit C + krill was combo what kept me from single sun burn this summer...

Diet:
I went through elimination diet, but wasn't able to make it pefectly so it was hard time wasted as i didn't find what is a real problem, but gluten. I am living gluten free, casein don't appear to be a problem/or the benefits of diary i consume overweight the harms (- home made probiotics, kefir, butter and brie.) I practice also total avoidance of alcohol and i am fairly conservative with carbohydrates due candida. I know it's there and will be there so better i keep it in check. Avoiding bad fats and processed food.

I do drink dandelion root tea and green tea. Better tolerate caffeine than year or two ago, but no thanks for stimulators of this kind.

Manuals, topicals and high voltage sparking electricity.
Being not well oxygenated for much time (i really need to move a lot and my sedetary job is not making it easier), i really benefited from manuals and massages. My scalp over time become more lose. From i've tried, using hammer massager (google it, mentioned it a few times back then) appeared to be most cost effective solution, if done along with inversion. Crazy, i know, but tingling sensation PP wanted people to achieve it was done in less than 5 mins even at my at a the time tight scalp. I only did it occasionally due social implications of one seing me doing it, lol. Topicals: coconut oil, emu oil, diluted ACV, even onion juice. If i'd do it regularly i'd maybe give it some credit, particularly emu oil, coconut oil and rejuveplex. Rejuveplex did nothing to my hair, but improved the skin or just the look of the skin greatly. There is some real hope for this product. I dropped all of them as it was time consuming and i couldn't understand how can that make me healthier. The same with violet ray. I never could understand how the device could heal my gut, despite having some results in using it. Decreased shedding and reversing a few (i can count, really) vellus hairs into terminals at a the time of regularly using it. Really hard to tell to witch method contributed to this. I might add, violet ray always calmed my mind and i still like to spark my spine a bit after the workout or in the morning. I bet it does something good. I've test it to drop a accumulated voltage from the body, and it's at least the synonym for grounding. Grounding my bed is also part of a plan, as switching of the wireless internet at night.

Sauna
I naturally don't sweet very much, until i heat up very much. When i exercise, is spend more time warming up compared to the others. I never paid attention to Xenon theory of heating which i surely recognize now as my faulty behavior for quite a some time. Excess heat= inflammation. Anyway, sauna makes me feel better, overall better.

Cold showers:
Not freezingly cold, but cold enough to fight all the thing first 10-15 seconds. More GSH, less absorbed chlorine, less energy and water wasted.

There is more contributors and different things i tried, but now i sort of feel i am in command. With said all that, developing mindset of how amalgam is the root of all this - my boss showed me his metallic smile with more than one amalgam. .He has full head of hair, no neurological issues, no premature graying, a lot of energy and staying late at work...Genetics here you are. MTHFR it is? Time will tell.

Last edited by Beebrox on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:02 am

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Methyl-Folate-60-Capsules/42778

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Folate-Fully-Active-Featuring-Quatrefolic-400-mcg-90-Veggie-Caps/38067?=hil335

and

http://www.amazon.com/Metagenics-ActiFolate%C2%AE/dp/B004366MIG

Are all good sources from my experience... Metagenics could be bought a bit cheaper and some people vote for it because the quality is better than those of the others. Not IMO, not many money to save either.

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 am

CS, you've said in a some other thread that MTHFR defects are correctable. Is MTHFR supplementation the only thing that helps? Dr. Wilson is not so convinced and advice to adding more green vegetables on the plate. Not my type of correction either, but it's at least possible to make this circle running faster with other approach than methylfolate supplementation?

TNX

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 am

I usually avoid this topic because it can get complicated that requires a lot of explanation.

I'll just say that there are many variables (variants of this polymorphism).

So it's not a perfect one size fits all approach.

That out of the way, eating more folate containing food isn't the answer...it would be in a perfect world, but...

All of the estrogen(s) out there are virtually unavoidable. These plus all of the synthetic folate (folic acid) out there which most doctors get confused with, that are purposefully put into food contribute to the defect even more.

The specific link I provided earlier will overcome a standard folate supplement at least 5:1. The patented forms from Merck are not as effective and cost more.

BPA and all of their analogs push the defect far and wide. I avoid supplements with folic acid, because it can cause a problem in even those who do not have a problem per se, especially if they are iodine deficient and consume BPA...99% of people have this stuff well above safe levels.  Of course, there really is no such thing as safe level of this stuff.

The tricky part is determining the dose, that is individual. Starting small is the way to go initially.
Will say in closing that those who do not benefit from thiols/sulfur derivatives, which is key for proper detoxification
often have this folate defect.

One has to start slow initially on this super charged folate because once they hit the proper dose, detox will be turned on high...and people tend to panic from what they need the most...so just rest for a few days, and resume.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:59 am

Tnx indeed!

I'd say that the major of detox is behind me, but i could be wrong. From experimentation i came thus far, but cant really tell which permutation of defect i have. AA suggest C677T, my ADHDish like personality is more towards A1298T. It can be both. But if then, i dont know what i am still doing alive in this world!Smile
Anyway more studies need to be done, and more time needs to pass by to accumulate the experience of addressing the conditions with supplements.

Some additional reading for the others:

http://holisticprimarycare.net/topics/topics-a-g/functional-medicine/1353-mthfr-mutation-a-missing-piece-in-the-chronic-disease-puzzle

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/

Here are the common recommendations for supporting those with C677T MTHFR mutations:

Limit ingestion of folic acid in fortified foods as you cannot process folic acid well.
   Limit or cease taking supplements or drugs with folic acid in them. Talk with your doctor before stopping.
   Avoid folic acid blocking drugs such as birth control or Methotrexate.
   Avoid drugs which increase homocysteine such as Nitrous Oxide (most used in dentistry)
   Avoid antacids as they block absorption of vitamin B12 and other nutrients
   Begin understanding which of your symptoms may be related to the C677T MTHFR mutation.
   Measure homocysteine levels – properly!
   Inform your family members so they can also test for the MTHFR mutation
   Find a doctor who is knowledgeable about MTHFR or is willing to learn
   If you are pregnant, find an OB/GYN or midwife who is knowledgeable about MTHFR.
   Eliminate Gluten from your diet – especially wheat.
   Eliminate or reduce Dairy from your diet. If you must have dairy, use Goat milk.
   Sauna or sweat somehow (epsom salt baths, sports, yoga..) at least once to three times a week.
   Limit intake of processed foods
      Increase intake of whole foods and home-prepared meals
   Eat the Rainbow of colors from fruits and vegetables – daily
   Castor Oil Packs over your abdomen daily during times of pain, soreness, cramps
   Vegetable/Fruit Juice Diet with Chia Seeds during times of pain, soreness, cramps
   Limit intake of high methionine-containing foods if homocysteine elevated
   Coffee Enemas during times of detoxification or pain
   Filter chlorine from your drinking water, shower and bath.
   Drink at least two liters of filtered water daily mixed with vitamin C and electrolytes.
   Eat smaller, but more frequent meals, throughout the day with some form of protein.
   Limit protein intake to approximately 0.7 grams protein per kilogram of body weight.
   Remove mercury amalgams and root canals with a trained biological dentist.
   Avoid cooking, drinking, storing and heating in any type of plastic container.
   Use an air purifier in your home and office
   Eliminate carpets from your home and install low VOC wood or tile flooring.
   Eat grass-fed beef, free range, hormone free and antibiotic meats and eggs
   Cook with electric stove and oven and remove gas stove and oven.

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:

BPA and all of their analogs push the defect far and wide. I avoid supplements with folic acid, because it can cause a problem in even those who do not have a problem per se, especially if they are iodine deficient and consume BPA...99% of people have this stuff well above safe levels.  Of course, there really is no such thing as safe level of this stuff.
How effective is sauna for eliminating BPA and what would surgical plastic implant for  Athletic Pubalgia/Sports Hernia/Gilmore's groin  mean in terms of folate metabolism?

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:12 am

IR sauna are by far the best way to deal with BPA. 30 days will eliminate 90% of the load. The only caveat is the excess heat these saunas will generate on the scalp...so would recommend rinsing off with cold water to be safe and as an added caution, wrap a cold water towel around the head while in the sauna.

Some time ago I read that a lot of BPA substitute plastics contains stuff even worse than BPA...I didn't know whether to laugh or just be astonished.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:IR sauna are by far the best way to deal with BPA.  30 days will eliminate 90% of the load.  The only caveat is the excess heat these saunas will generate on the scalp...so would recommend rinsing off with cold water to be safe and as an added caution, wrap a cold water towel around the head while in the sauna.

Some time ago I read that a lot of BPA substitute plastics contains stuff even worse than BPA...I didn't know whether to laugh or just be astonished.

This is what i normally do, since acknowledged a heat is also a factor.

I assume you thought about plastics what provoked you...

Is any of them safe?
Polypropylene (PP)
Polyethylene (LDPE, HDPE)
Poly-ethylene-tereftalat (PET, PETF, PETE)
PVC, PC

And sorry, but this means a lot for me. Surgical plastics, is there a concern?

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  rofl Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 am

'I have yet to test my MTHFR polymorphism'

I call it the motherf..k.er polymorphism. lol
rofl
rofl

Back to top Go down

Post  TapItIn Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:41 am

Beebrox-

Thank you for sharing your story. .. HAve you completely stopped your hairloss with that regime? What about regrowth?

TapItIn

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 am

rofl wrote:

I call it the motherf..k.er polymorphism. lol
tongue 

TapItIn wrote:Beebrox-

Thank you for sharing your story. .. HAve you completely stopped your hairloss with that regime? What about regrowth?
Nothing really worth saying about regrowth. I am not so dedicated to hairloss with manuals and violet ray as i used to be a while a go, but major breakthrough was done through chelation and addressing my specific body needs. Hairloss stopped? As long i will be keeping my gut/thyroid and chronic inflammation in check i am sure i wont suffer hair loss.  Regrowth? There are much better regrowth stories than i can provide, i guess. I wouldn't call thickening as regrowth either. My hair improved in quality, but hair line is still where it is. When my chronic inflammation and stress levels will be lower i might start to applying some sort of stimulation on my scalp with LLLT and/violet ray and maybe even some topical helps me out then. Repairing biochemistry is a long - termed process and i don't want to promise myself anything in the world of countless stressors on every corner...

I'd say half of work is done when you stop the progression, another half may be done with regrowth. But regrowth is IMO speculative and really where one finish  his list with possibilities. (I never seen fully regrown scalp with natural methods unless it was sever sudden loss as alopecia totalis or universalis or similar.) Nevertheless aging is degenerative process we can slow down, but not very likely reverse with techniques that supplementation in such form we know it can offer. What's encouraging for me the most, my list of possibilities is still relatively full...

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  PolandSpring Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:31 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:For some time I have been recommending those who have conditions, such as Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or other GI problems to look into MTHFr, which is a folate metabolism issue quite common in today's world.

Not surprisingly MTHFr has been confirmed to be a factor in autoimmune hair loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23954881

With respect to Crohn's disease, it's definitely a major factor.

If I were you, I would ditch Humira...but I think going to LDN is a wise move.

Also, I would take this supplement (or anyone with a suspected digestive issue).
http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Folate-Fully-Active-Featuring-Quatrefolic-400-mcg-90-Veggie-Caps/38067

This is not the over priced patented stuff that doesn't work half as well either...definitely worth a shot.

CS, I ordered that supplement you linked too. Is that for MTHFr or something else, and any idea on the dosing for it? Is there a regimen somewhere on how to fix MTHFr? , or what supplements to take for it?

This MTHFr discussion is exciting to me. It sounds like it could be one of the issues that has been holding me down.

PolandSpring

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next