Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss

+3
hadrion
ppm
Samedi
7 posters

Go down

Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss Empty Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss

Post  Samedi Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 pm

First, let me say how great it is to have a forum like this to revert to. I’ve been lurking around here for a while and joined to hopefully add some value with my own hair journey. I hope the below contains some interesting info on exercise and hair loss.
I have been on Proscar 5mg cut into four pieces for about 7 years now. I’ve been relatively happy with the results and, up until about 3 months ago, I have been pretty relaxed about my hair loss. However in the last 3 months my hair loss has sped up, and my hair has reverted to where it was about 6 years ago when I started the Proscar.

About 4 months ago I started back in the Gym, weightlifting. There is plenty on the internet about it effects on your hair

http://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/a-weight-off-your-shoulders-lifting-the-lid-on-hair-loss025/

I’ve had some pretty good results, dropping my body fat from 20% to 9% and increasing Muscle. I was taking three supplements,

Morning http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/pro.html

After workout http://supplementreviews.com/biorhythm/afterglow

Night http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/on_casein_product_review.htm

However after I noticed the hair thinning I started looking closer at the ingredients.
The supplements contained Whey Protein Isolate and Creatine.
This guy has done some “research” on Whey isolate and hair loss.
http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100408/Whey-Protein-Isolate-damages-and-accelerates-hair-loss.aspx
To me, it seems like a scam; however I’ve come off all Whey Isolate products in case.
In terms of Creatine
http://www.livestrong.com/article/312582-creatine-monohydrate-and-hair-loss/

I have also come off this. I now only take a very Basic Whey Protein concentrate in the morning,

http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/product-only-whey.html

and basic BCAA’s after workout. Whey concentrate is what Shapiro recommends, while BCAA’s are in this
http://www.trx2.com/store/bcaas-and-their-hair-growth-stimulating-effect/
and in general seem to help hair grow.

Has anyone got any experience on this? Are these supplements ok to take for hair loss? It’s a pity as I know I would respond a lot better on the other supps but I don’t want to risk and further shedding. Do you think the hair will thicken up again after coming off the supps?

Thanks

Samedi

Back to top Go down

Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss Empty Re: Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss

Post  ppm Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 am

Samedi wrote:
http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100408/Whey-Protein-Isolate-damages-and-accelerates-hair-loss.aspx
Shapiro is talking nonsense (note that he is talking/selling an "enhanced", low concentrated, WPC, meaning added suff like vitamins and minerals and AA).
You know, when people talk down WPI, they usually refer to WPI by ion-exchange.. But this is an outdated production process, at least outside of the USA.. Also in places such as EU no growth hormones are used in milk production. Anyway, hormones reside in the fat, therefore the higher-in-fat WPC is more prone to contain hormones end precursors, than WPI.
Also, WPC carries a lot of (oxidised) cholesterol, and other damaged fat, and all of the bad stuff that is fat-soluble..

I'd prefer WPI over WPC anytime.

However, people are using too much protein in the first place, greatly enhancing their chances of promoting cancer growth. Surely it is good for the growth of muscle, however in the same way so for forementioned..
Anyway, if one does not go pro and making a living form building muscle (a.k.a Mr. Olympia) there is no point in using all the fancy stuff by the tonne, to build a bit of muscle that will be gone a few years later, because of losing interest or other commitments. But a possible damage could stay, and even get worse.. Not to mention all the money burnt.. You build muscle first and foremost through exercise, over long term.

Last edited by ppm on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

ppm

Back to top Go down

Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss Empty Re: Weight lifting, supplements and hair loss

Post  hadrion Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

I agree with ppm. You don't really need the weight lifting supplements if you eat well. I use the supplements in my signature for general health/anti-inflammatory and they work very well for someone who lifts. I've been on a weight lifting odyssey over the past year. I started doing super slow weightlifting which caused exercise induced headaches. When those went away, I restarted lifting from scratch with Stronglifts 5x5 and saw massive results in 12 weeks with little or no soreness thanks to the supplement regimen I take. I've since moved on to Wendler 5-3-1 and I'm starting my 3rd 4 week cycle on it next week. Since November, I've added over 200 pounds to my deadlift. I'm benching & parallel squatting over 300 pounds as my 1 rep max.

If you follow a program and dedicate yourself to it and eat well, I really don't think you need the creatines, BCAA's, etc. Whey protein is helpful, but you shouldn't be relying on it for your protein. Fish, eggs and meat will get the job done.

I am literally stronger than I was when I played football back in the day. I'm in my late 30's and I packed on a lot of muscle since starting Stronglifts and moving into Wendler. The reason you move is you plateau on Stronglifts after awhile and Wendler is a good intermediate weight lifter program to keep making gains on your 4 core lifts (squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press).

If you think the weightlifting supps are affecting your hair, drop them for a few weeks and keep lifting and monitor your reaction to it. No one can tell you what adding/subtracting those things will do to you for certain. It takes experimentation.

That being said, if you eat well and lift, you'll get stronger without that stuff. I know people who swear by NO XPlode and stuff like that and I don't use it. I just go to the gym, lift heavy weights and get stronger each week. All during this, my hair loss has not increased or gotten worse. In fact, I think I've regrown some new hairs on top in spots that were thinner before. In other words, it hasn't made hair loss worse.

I'm more concerned about your proscar usage and what that has done to your hormones over the years than your weightlifting.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  Duketronix Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 am

I agree with everything these guys ^ said.

I recently tried out some supps from a friend at the gym stupidly just because they were there. I noticed a marked change in my hair where it lost volume and looked like crap after only using the stuff a few times over a couple of weeks. I stopped using it (easy since it wasn't mine in the first place) and my hair was back on track in less than a week.

Duketronix

Back to top Go down

Post  NevadaNed Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:04 pm

I think BCAA's and glutamine are safe for the hair, I've used them for awhile and have no problems. I messed around with Whey, never creatine. I hated the way they way whey made me feel. Yes I gained muscle but my body didn't agree with the stuff - bloating, water weight, etc.

I eat right and exercise 5 times a week. Cardio, Weights, and yoga/plyo. I don't want bulk so I could care less about huge muscles. I want longevity - keep your body active, eat healthy- greens, no gluten, all vegies, smaller amounts grass fed beef/lamb and wild fish (fatty), less chicken, safe starches, only coconut and olive oil, and most importantly reduce calories.

NevadaNed

Back to top Go down

Post  Samedi Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:35 am

Hi Guys,
thanks for taking the time out to reply.

ppm- it really does smell like this Shapiro guy is talking nonsense, plus whey protein isolate is in EVERYTHING. It's pretty difficult to avoid it.

Hadrion- I haven't heard of the Wendler but I'll check it out. I starting following Tim Ferris's 4 hour body workout and diet. Slow carbs and slow workouts. All 5 x 5 Cadence. I'm seeing some useful results.

Duketronix - I think I'll stay off the supps for a couple of weeks and see what happens...

NevadaNed - Agree with you on the bloating, very unpleasant.

Thanks again guys for taking the time out.

Samedi

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 am

Samedi wrote:Hi Guys,
thanks for taking the time out to reply.

ppm- it really does smell like this Shapiro guy is talking nonsense, plus whey protein isolate is in EVERYTHING. It's pretty difficult to avoid it.

Hadrion- I haven't heard of the Wendler but I'll check it out. I starting following Tim Ferris's 4 hour body workout and diet. Slow carbs and slow workouts. All 5 x 5 Cadence. I'm seeing some useful results.

Duketronix - I think I'll stay off the supps for a couple of weeks and see what happens...

NevadaNed - Agree with you on the bloating, very unpleasant.

Thanks again guys for taking the time out.

Samedi,

I basically use Tim Ferriss' slow carb diet w/cheat day. It works well for me and gives me enough carbs to work out & think all week. I would caution you to be careful with the slow cadence lifting. That induced thunderclap headaches in me. It was caused by a form issue when I was using the technique and the machines. That said, unless you're working with someone who specializes in super slow cadence who can watch your form and make sure your neck alignment is perfect at times, it can be dangerous. I found out I wasn't the only one who induced exercise induced headaches following that method. I took almost a month off from lifting to recover from that and then started from scratch with Strong Lifts 5x5 and I'm doing amazing strength wise. Really learning that my body type requires me to lift heavy things in the classic compound lifts to see results. Just doing that, following a solid eating plan and taking some of the anti-inflammatory supps I take have given me insane progress. I really don't think you need the creatine/BCAA's if you're eating well. You'll see gains if you lift heavy and make progress and don't stall from month to month. I mean, at some point, I'm going to get to weights too heavy to lift. But the act of getting up to your true personal strength maxes will change your body and how it deals with food in my opinion.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 am

Creatine has a ton of research behind it demonstrating that it increases athletic performance.

However, I've read it can increase DHT and personally it gives me bacne, so I would avoid it unless you are a competitive athlete.

On protein, why not just switch to a vegetarian protein to be safe? (ie Sun Warrior).

BCAAs are def helpful, but I would also add in a complete protein once in awhile.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  strider7086 Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Samedi - If you want to start training seriously start reading t-nation.com - the one thing i enjoy about it is that it gives you many perspectives, programs, and progressions on training.

i would suggest to master the pull-up, push-up and chin up. It will make give your core lifts a pretty solid boost. Also diligently incorporate mobility drills and stretching.

And supplementation - i think most folks covered it pretty well. Be sure to include some good red-meats(beef, lamb, goat etc) and fish in your diet.

Personally I cook lamb steaks in a ginger, garlic base with olive oil. Once its lightly fried i add one bell-pepper, two steaks and leave it cooking for about 20 minutes. I like it this way over grilling - as i feel like im getting more nutrients and minerals from the animal bone.

strider7086

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down