Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat

5 posters

Go down

Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat Empty Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat

Post  lambyjay Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:07 pm

I am just confused as to why Trans fats are demonised so much (and rightly so) but not saturated fats?

I mean lets take a trans fat - a hydrogenated veg oil for example.

This is basically an unsaturated (poly or mono) fat that is bombarded with hydrogen until there are no bonds between the carbon and it thus can become a fully saturated fat (ie cabon atoms can bond to no more hydrogen)

Saturated fats are carbon atoms( that have no double bonds) that can bond to no more hydrogen.
(Fully)Trans fats and saturated fats thus have the same composition but one is bad and the other is fine. Why?

Are more free radicals generated by hydrogenation of a veg oil?

lambyjay

Back to top Go down

Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat Empty Re: Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat

Post  Hoppipolla Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 pm

I can't answer this one Smile But what I do know is that malic acid, choline/inositol and sulphur will all mop cholesterol and fat out of the body! Just wanted to say that in case it's useful to you in any way!
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I think you misunderstand the differences between trans/unsaturated/saturated fats.

You need to understand a bit of chemistry. An unsaturated fat is just a fat without a double bond. Unsaturated fats come in two structures: cis and trans. The nomenclature has to do with the structure of the double bond.

So you can see that the way laymen talk about these molecules is a bit misleading. In the press, when people talk about unsaturated fats, they're referring to cis-unsaturated fats. When they talk about trans fats, they're referring to trans-unsaturated fats.

A picture will make this clear.

Trans Fat vs Saturated Fat RnfaE

You can see that trans fats share one property with cis-unsaturated fats: they both have a double bond, ie they're unsaturated.

Trans fats also share one property with saturated fats. They're straight. Compare them with cis-unsaturated fats which are kinked.

As for the biochemical reason why they're bad, I don't think anyone really knows. One theory is that the enzymes in the body can't act on trans fats properly.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:40 pm

lambyjay - I second crincrin.

Also bear in mind that saturated fat is not man made. Trans-fats disrupt cell function. Take a stick of margarine and you'll see even after weeks, no bugs will eat it. Take a stick of butter and it will be eaten away.

Here's more info:

http://healthyfixx.com/food-and-diet/1/busting-the-myths-of-saturated-fat

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

crincrin,

You seem to know a bit about the chemistry underlying biological processes. I was hoping you might shed some light on a couple things that I've been confused about:

Everyone in the alternative health community (including most people on this forum) is condemning the dangers of over-consuming polyunsaturated fatty acids - especially those found in processed vegetable oils - because they cause oxidative stress. But CS claims that it's alright to consume polyunsaturated fatty acids when they are part of unprocessed foods like nuts/seeds/fish. But if polyunsaturated fatty acids (having more than one double bond) are oxidized so easily, then why is consuming them as part of nuts/seeds/fish any healthier than consuming them through vegetable oils? In fact, wouldn't it be the case that the fatty acids in the vegetable oil have undergone some amount of oxidation, meaning that there are fewer carbon-carbon double bonds that will oxidize inside the body (and therefore result in less oxidative stress within the body, than say, consuming unprocessed PUFAs which would contain more double bonds?). I've posed this question several times on this forum but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Thanks,
MP
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:06 am

MP, here are the arguments as I understand them.

Double bonds are more susceptible to reactions with free radicals. The reaction of PUFAs with free radicals is not a gentle saturation of the double bonds, instead it's a violent reaction that can cleave fats, crosslink fatty acids, etc. and maybe even convert cis bonds to trans. These reaction byproducts are the problem, and presumably they lead to some kind of immune response and/or altered metabolism.

Processed PUFAs, as opposed to "raw" PUFAs, have been exposed to heat and light. Both heat and light increase the formation of free radicals, and heat also speeds up chemical reactions. Presumably, any natural antioxidants (which are capable of neutralizing free radicals), have also either been removed or degraded to some extent by processing. The net result is increased formation of byproducts.

This doesn't explain why cooked PUFAs (ie, cooked fish) are ok to eat.

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 am

crincrin

Thanks for your response.

Do you think the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids that have already been incorporated into the various tissues of the body (ie., cell membranes) is less of an issue than consuming processed foods containing adulterated PUFAs? I imagine that internal body temperatures don't even come close to temperatures that are used in cooking of food, and I doubt there's much light that reaches the inside of the body. That leaves exposure to oxygen as the only other way in which the PUFAs can oxidize inside the body.

Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia article on cellular respiration:

Cellular respiration is the set of the metabolic reactions and processes that take place in the cells of organisms to convert biochemical energy from nutrients into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), and then release waste products. The reactions involved in respiration are catabolic reactions that involve the redox reaction (oxidation of one molecule and the reduction of another). Respiration is one of the key ways a cell gains useful energy to fuel cellular reformations.

Nutrients commonly used by animal and plant cells in respiration include sugar, amino acids and fatty acids, and a common oxidizing agent (electron acceptor) is molecular oxygen (O2).

If PUFAs undergo oxidation during cellular respiration, wouldn't the release of free radicals occur internally? Maybe the amount of free radicals released during the catabolic break-down of fatty acids is far less than that caused by consumption of processed PUFAs?

Also, when food is processed, do the free radicals and byproducts released by PUFA oxidation pretty much stay in the food?
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:24 pm

mphatesmpb wrote:
Do you think the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids that have already been incorporated into the various tissues of the body (ie., cell membranes) is less of an issue than consuming processed foods containing adulterated PUFAs?

I don't know, this would depend on how PUFAs are metabolized in the body and how they exert their pathological effect. I don't think the research is there.

I imagine that internal body temperatures don't even come close to temperatures that are used in cooking of food, and I doubt there's much light that reaches the inside of the body. That leaves exposure to oxygen as the only other way in which the PUFAs can oxidize inside the body.

Those mechanisms of free radical production refer to the refining process. The body has it's own methods of producing oxidative molecules (ie, enzymes that produce free radicals). These are usually related to an immune response.

If PUFAs undergo oxidation during cellular respiration, wouldn't the release of free radicals occur internally?

Yes, but all molecules eventually go through the electron transport chain. In other words, this mechanism of free radical production applies to all energy sources (protein/fat/carb), not just PUFAs.

[/quote]Maybe the amount of free radicals released during the catabolic break-down of fatty acids is far less than that caused by consumption of processed PUFAs? [/quote]

I think that's the idea, but I don't know if the research is there.

Also, when food is processed, do the free radicals and byproducts released by PUFA oxidation pretty much stay in the food?

The byproducts, yes. My understanding is that because free radicals are so reactive, they're pretty much extinguished within a fraction of a second.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:00 pm

This article contains some good information about the susceptibility of PUFAs to oxidation:

The relationship between sensory deterioration and oxidation of omega-3s is complex, due to their high degree of unsaturation. As a result, oxygen, heat, light, metals and enzymes all can increase the likelihood for oxidation.
“The food matrix can be conducive or detrimental to omega-3 oxidation,” says Srini Vasan, a principle scientist at Martek Biosciences Boulder Corp. (Boulder, Colo.). For example, yogurt is less susceptible to oxidation than extruded cereal. “The omega-3 in the yogurt matrix is protected by a protein film, and the physical gel-like structure further helps in stabilizing an emulsion that minimizes oxygen uptake,” says Vasan. Omega-3s are less vulnerable to oxidation since yogurt requires refrigerated storage, which means a lower temperature and shorter shelflife (45 days).

In contrast, extruded cereals require high-temperature processing and are kept in ambient storage for a longer shelflife. Auto-oxidation increases by two to three times for each 10°C incremental increase of heat. Processing issues are compounded by a cereal grain’s abundance of minerals and large, porous surface area, which also encourages oxidative deterioration. Stability may be reduced by 50% for every 0.1ppm of copper and every 1.0ppm of iron in a product.
Maintaining sensory quality is the key challenge to food fortification. Securing a reliable source of omega-3 is pertinent to success. Martek DHA-S, an algal oil produced by fermentation under tightly controlled conditions, performs consistently, making it easier for manufacturers to protect its docohexaenoic acid (DHA) content throughout production. “Algal oil produces fewer variables than fish oil, of which oxidation potential varies, depending on the catch of fish, time of year, and length of time to process,” explains Vasan.
DHA, a supporting element in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease, originates in algae. Vasan cites research conducted at the University of Massachusetts (Amherst, Mass.) that shows the shelflife of products fortified with algal oil increases by almost four months when compared to those with fish oil, when fermented under “pristine conditions” (see chart).
Antioxidant selection and use is another factor affecting the degree of oxidation of omega-3 oils. “Always incorporate antioxidants as soon as possible in the processing steps,” suggests Vasan. Determining the type of antioxidant (vitamin-based, natural or synthetic/traditional) and the type of product (bulk oil, liquid emulsion, or complex food matrix) can lengthen the shelf stability of foods formulated with omega-3s.
Additionally, microencapsulation also provides convenience and can protect omega-3s from secondary thermal processing. Microencapsulation distributes omega-3s uniformly throughout the food product and prevents interaction with metals, oxygen or other ingredients.
Finally, packaging and storage conditions may need to be modified, depending on the intended application, degree of fortification and other desired criteria. “Light can increase the oxidation rate by eight times,” adds Vasan. If needed, physical barriers can be designed into the packaging and storage units. Modified gas (vacuum or inert gas), atmospheric packaging and environments or materials that have milder conditions or that exclude light and oxygen are suitable protection from oxidation.
Although omega-3 fortification is limited by application and/or compatibility with other ingredients, with forethought and preparation, “It can be done,” notes Vasan.
For more information:
Martek Biosciences, Srini Vasan
303-357-2833
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down