Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems

Go down

Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems Empty Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems

Post  Eishoo Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 pm

My first post here. I have been following the forum for about a year now. First, I was intrigued by Pragues enzyme topics, and lately with the mineral posts which have been revolved around in several topics. Inspired by action\< reaction's big condensed mineral topic, I decided to test my mineral levels with hair mineral analysis. I know that it is not probably 100% reliable, but I didn't just want to experiment blindly. I thought that at least it would reveal if I have any clear deficiencies or intoxications, or imbalances .

Results were indeed interesting. Magnesium was quite low, which is probably due to prolonged mild depression and mental stress it causes. Most other nutritional elements were in normal range, some on lowish side. Here comes the interesting part, molybdenum and nickel were both of the charts. Now, according to the test papers elevated nickel in hair is not uncommon, because it sources are high in environment. Molybdenum maybe high because of the painting I did last summer, but the symptoms seem to fit me very well so I suppose there might be some real accumulation. Mercury was also slightly elevated, but according to test that might not be clinically significant.

According to the report elevated Mo levels may adversely effect calcium transport to bone (-> tissue calcification ?). Mo will also antagonize copper metabolism (-> loss of hair pigment, which I suffer, even though copper levels were normal?) and sulfur rich amino acids (which I believe are important for hair). Also joint problems are to be expected but of those I do not suffer (maybe these needs even more elevated levels). Other symptoms include reduced Glucose_6-phosphate and increaced levels of xanthine oxidase and uric acid. I would appreciate if anybody could comment on these.

Apparently Mo toxicity is quite rare, so I didn't find much. Here are few sources i found:

A review of the "mysterious" wasting disease in Swedish moose (Alces alces L.) related to molybdenosis and disturbances in copper metabolism.
This fits quite well to my profile, low Mg and low T4 (I guess I should finally test my thyroid, according the report my mineral profile indicated tendency towards decreased thyroid/adrenal hormones ). "Consequences of such metabolic disturbances (e.g. glucose intolerance, insulin resistance, and non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus)" are associated with hair loss I believe. Apparently Mo's biological half-life is quite short so I wonder what could cause accumulation in me.

Molybdenum.
For the general population, the diet is the most important source of molybdenum and concentrations in water and air usually are negligible. ... Molybdenum is an essential element with relatively low toxicity. ... Elimination of molybdenum occurs via the kidney and usually is complete within several weeks. Molybdenosis (teart) is a form of molybdenum toxicity that produces a disease in ruminants similar to copper-deficiency. Little data are available on the human toxicity of molybdenum.

Assessment of molybdenum toxicity in humans.
Because molybdenum toxicity is associated with copper intake or depleted copper stores in the body, humans who have an inadequate intake of dietary copper or some dysfunction in their copper metabolism that makes them copper-deficient could be at greater risk of molybdenum toxicity.
I will experiment with extra copper, and maybe some zinc to balance copper. Or maybe I have some dysfunction, I dunno.

A case report of acute human molybdenum toxicity from a dietary molybdenum supplement--a new member of the "Lucor metallicum" family.
Apparently caEDTA can be used to chelate Mo, but I don't see that necessary at this point. And oral dosing of EDTA in my understanding isn't that effective at all. I bought some Alpha lipoic acid (cheaper S/R-form) to experiment with, as I believe it can help in chelating things. I did experiment with chelated Mo (150µg dose) last spring, but I didn't like it and stopped after two or three days.

Now to my regimen. It is mainly paleo diet with much organ meats and veggies. Now, I have been on low carb/paleo for two years and it seems to fit me well. However, I think that I may have been underfed for quite some time. I am student so have been quite economical on food and it has not always been that nutritious. And I have had tendency to not eat for long time and than eat a lot. That may have led to caloric restriction in the end. Elevated Hg -levels might have been caused by protein deficient diet (says the report). I don't think I have consumed enough protein (more than negligible amounts, however) even in the last two years. Depression may be also be affected by this. I have never been overweight. Grains doesn't seems to agree with me and I have not been using them as a caloric source for two years.

The hair mineral analysis report recommended increasing intake of high purine foods (33% of calories (organ meats, sea food)), increasing intake of milk and milk products (33% of calories from high fat sources) and decreasing intake of all carbs (especially avoid sugar, soda etc., white bread etc.). I won't start counting calories but simply try eat well. I actually experimented with this last spring and got some healthy looking regrowth (copper from liver?). But it didn't last, couldn't eat well during summer. I also have lost lot of the small pointy hair (3/4 inchers;) and some good looking tapered long hairs lately, so apparently I have had some good growth during the paleodiet. Sickly colorless hair I lose quite lot. I hope the little one's just need renew twice before really growing healthy.

I do have some supplements, such as b vitamins (b6 was recommended), fish oil and magnesium (which was quite low), and other I mentioned. I experiment with different kind of herbs also. I think copper experiment will be good. Also added trace mineral solution as many such minerals (tin , for example) weren't at detectable levels or were low.

I'd appreciate any comments on any statement I made. And language may not be perfect or may seem odd, so I do apologize if that is the case.

Eishoo

Back to top Go down

Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems Empty Re: Could too much molybdenum be the reason for my problems

Post  Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:43 am

Because molybdenum toxicity is associated with copper intake or depleted copper stores in the body, humans who have an inadequate intake of dietary copper or some dysfunction in their copper metabolism that makes them copper-deficient could be at greater risk of molybdenum toxicity.
I will experiment with extra copper, and maybe some zinc to balance copper. Or maybe I have some dysfunction, I dunno.

I wasn't aware of this little fact about Copper and its relation to molybdenum, very interesting... copper continues to surprise me. Keep us all updated on your progress.

Back to top Go down