Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Some questions about DIM EmptyYesterday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Some questions about DIM EmptyYesterday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Some questions about DIM EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Some questions about DIM EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Some questions about DIM EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Some questions about DIM EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Some questions about DIM EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Some questions about DIM EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Some questions about DIM EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Some questions about DIM

2 posters

Go down

Some questions about DIM Empty Some questions about DIM

Post  baller234 Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:38 am

I've recently developed some type of thyroiditis (not sure what type, but until recently thyroid was inflamed and swollen) which has been completely ameliorated by taking DIM and eating Brazil Nuts (very high in Selenium). I'm not sure how I developed this but I suspect excessive soy consumption and possibly Fin contributed. I have since discontinued Fin and eliminated soy from my diet. Ironically, since discontinuing Finasteride and starting DIM I've had very rapid hair growth in the front. I'm guessing I had elevated estradiol from years of fin and the DIM is metabolizing it into hair friendly estrogens.

Is DIM safe to take long term or is it something that needs to by cycled? I'm worried that daily supplemntation will eventually lower E2 TOO much and eventually cause hair loss.

Does DIM actually reduce/lower DHT levels or does it only interfere with DHT receptor binding or both? In other words, by what mechanism does DIM reduce DHT stimulation?

I really don't want to ever go back on Finasteride and I'm starting to think the only reason I had recession was due to a lack of "beneficial estrogens" which DIM seems to be correcting.

I plan on taking 1 Activmune DIM capsule EOD (http://www.activamune.com) along with 500 mg of Ainterol pueraria mirifica over the course of a week to help shift my estrogen metabolism in a more hair friendly direction. Does this regimen seem feasible? Has anyone else experimented with DIM and PM together? Would this combo lower E2 too much?

any and all comments/opinions will be appreciated

baller234

Back to top Go down

Some questions about DIM Empty Re: Some questions about DIM

Post  baller234 Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:45 am

Note: the only reason I'm using Activamune DIM is because it also contains selenium and sulforaphane. I only posted link so ingredients could be viewed.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:01 am

DIM promotes estradiol metabolism to favor 2-hydroxyestrogen, which converts into 2-methoxyestradiol. 2-methoxyestradiol is shown to displace estradiol from SHBG, which is good because when estradiol binds with SHBG, it is able to mimic the effects of DHT despite being an estrogen [1] [2].

The free-estradiol is then metabolized in the liver into 2-methoxyestradiol, which then displaces more estradiol from SHBG and so on. Displacing estrogen from SHBG is beneficial because free-estrogen is able to inhibit aromatase and 5-alpha-reductase and stimulate SHBG production (lowering free-testosterone and subsequently DHT and estrogen) plus when too much estrogen accumulates on SHBG, it can promote cancer growth and feminization in men.

[1] Estradiol Activates the Prostate Androgen Receptor and Prostate-specific Antigen Secretion through the Intermediacy of Sex Hormone-binding Globulin
[2] Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin Mediates Prostate Androgen Receptor Action via a Novel Signaling Pathway.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:31 am

DIM (anti-estrogen) is an anticarcinogen compound derived from the digestion of indole-3-carbinol, found in Brassica vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and collard greens

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:27 am

From what I've been able to gather DIM isn't actually an anti-estrogen. It increases estrogen metabolism and aromatization in the liver. It increases 2hydroxyestrone and decreases the inflammatory/carcinogenic 16hydroxyestrone. I've read specualtion that 2 hydroxyestrone and other "good estrogens" actually inhibit 5 alpha reductase and it is by this mechanism that DIM reduces DHT levels (not just by blocking the androgen receptor). Can anyone confirm this?

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:35 pm

bump

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

I regret making my recent topic on 112degrees which is all about PM, but yeah, I can see these things both working in a synergistic fashion. I recommend caution with the aniterol though, maybe start slow.

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 am

I intend to start VERY slow with Ainterol however the side effects that members here complained about don't worry me. I don't mind a decrease in libido and I had the glands in my chest surgically removed a while back (pubertal gyno) so I'm not too concerned about gyno either. What does worry me is overall safety. These herbs are very strong and changing your hormonal profile, be it with drugs or "adaptogens", is no laughing matter.

Does anyone have experience with DIM and PM? Would the PM compensate for the low estradiol?

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down