Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Carpal Tunnel EmptyThu May 16, 2024 4:01 pm by Atlas

» zombie cells
Carpal Tunnel EmptyFri May 10, 2024 3:54 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Carpal Tunnel EmptyWed May 08, 2024 6:45 am by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Carpal Tunnel EmptyMon May 06, 2024 1:18 pm by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Carpal Tunnel EmptyMon May 06, 2024 1:07 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Carpal Tunnel EmptyMon May 06, 2024 2:40 am by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Carpal Tunnel EmptySat May 04, 2024 7:56 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Carpal Tunnel EmptyThu May 02, 2024 12:25 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Carpal Tunnel EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Carpal Tunnel

2 posters

Go down

Carpal Tunnel Empty Carpal Tunnel

Post  ITITCHES Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 am

I wasn't exactly freaking out until I spoke to my hairdresser who had a horror story to tell involving electric shock, syringes, surgery and a rather nasty scar - but worst of all - eight months of downtime. Yeah - that made me that much more aware of subtle yet perceivably sharp and increasingly perceptible pains in my picking hand. They used to manifest for a short period directly following prolonged and intense practice sessions but by now they just randomly spring out basically whenever and wherever - usually in the veins but they're no strangers to the wrist, the forearm and even my goddamn shoulder.

I warm up properly, I stretch my hands - what more can I do? Playing less is not an option, especially now, so I really have to ask what else can I do before this thing blows up - is there a quick 'hack' of some sort?

ITITCHES

Back to top Go down

Carpal Tunnel Empty Re: Carpal Tunnel

Post  hapyman Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:33 pm

I totally forget where I saw it but there was a site linking Carpal Tunnel to some type of deficiency and I want to say it was Magnesium. Actually just looked it up and it appears that a lot of people with Carpal Tunnel have a Vitamin B6 deficiency and respond really well to supplementing with it.

Response of vitamin B-6 deficiency and the carpal tunnel syndrome to pyridoxine.

Abstract
The specific activities and percentage deficiencies of the glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase of erythrocytes (EGOT) were determined for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) diagnosed by clinical examination and electrical conduction data; the EGOT data revealed a severe deficiency of vitamin B-6. After double-blind treatment with pyridoxine and placebo, two physicians identified those receiving pyridoxine (clinically improved) and those receiving placebo (did not improve) without error, P less than 0.0078. Correcting a deficiency of the coenzyme at receptors of existing molecules of the apoenzyme appears to take place within days; correction of the deficiency in the number of molecules of the transaminase takes place over 10-12 weeks. The clinical response, appraised by the diminution of the symptoms of CTS, was correlated only with the restored levels of the transaminase which presumably results from a translational long-term increase in the number of molecules of EGOT by a mechanism activated by correcting a deficiency of pyridoxal 5'-phosphate. Apparent Km values of EGOT were identical for groups of patients with CTS and others without CTS but with identical specific activities, indicating that CTS is a primary deficiency of vitamin B-6 rather than one of a dependency state. Clinical improvement of the syndrome with pyridoxine therapy may frequently obviate hand surgery.

Here is some other good information.

Vitamin B6 wasn't considered a vital nutrient for a long time, but researchers finally discovered a host of benefits that this little vitamin is responsible for. It's also one of the most common nutrient deficiencies, meaning a B6 deficiency is more common than any other vitamin
deficiency.

One particular disorder that B6 can control after onset is the numbness, pain, weakness and tingling in the hands caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. Long term deficiency is directly related to carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel syndrome, as you know, is a caused by a build up of fluid in the carpal tunnel and puts pressure on the nerve causing it to compress. Many suffers of this disability undergo surgery with limited improvements, but researchers have conducted studies and discovered that except for extreme cases, vitamin B6 can greatly help or even reverse the effects of this disorder.

Other vitamin deficiencies are commonly linked to certain diseases and disorders. Vitamin C deficiency is directly related to scurvy, niacin deficiency is the cause for pellagra, and lack of thiamine causes beriberi. For many years B6 wasn't related to any disease until it was discovered that a deficiency is the underlying cause for carpal tunnel syndrome.

The RDA for vitamin B6 is only 2 milligrams per day, but researchers believe that's way too low and should be raised to about 35 milligrams per day. They also suggest that supplements are absolutely necessary and that it's virtually impossible to get too much by supplementing, unless you take a whole bottle at one time.

Have you ever heard of Chinese restaurant syndrome? Many people have ill-effects within 20 minutes of eating Chinese food because of the MSG (monosodium glutamate) added to Chinese food. Researchers conclude the majority of those reactions are due to a B6 deficiency.

If you avoid Chinese food due to getting a headache or feverish flushing after consumption of MSG laden foods, then it's highly likely you're deficient in B6. It may take years of deficiency for carpal tunnel syndrome to develop and indicate a lack of
the nutrient, but a dose of MSG can tell you within minutes if you're deficient and should be checked by a doctor.

B6 has a host of other benefits too. It can prevent the formation of kidney stones and has proven to be effective in treating people who suffer kidney stones regularly.

It boosts the immune system and studies suggest it may help cancer from recurring as it often does after treatment.

B6 requirements may be small compared to other nutritional requirements, but this little vitamin packs a wallop when it's at its optimal levels.

Here are some dosage instructions found at another site.

A typical dose of vitamin B6 for carpal tunnel syndrome is 50 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Side effects may include increased urination. It can take up to 6 weeks to notice an improvement. The maximum intake from all sources should be less than 200 mg a day, unless otherwise recommended by your doctor.

In another thread CS posted a good activated vitamin B complex that has 50mg of B6 (P5P). The other B vitamins such as B12 will help as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU284/ItemDetail
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down