Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» zombie cells
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyToday at 3:49 am by Atlas

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics

4 posters

Go down

Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics Empty Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics

Post  masterofnone Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 am

I've noticed that a lot of the treatments on here are to correct some underlying problem involving multiple systems, organs, etc. – problems that in turn have come to have a degrading effect on the person's hair health

But let's just say for the sake of discussion (I know that opinions will vary as to whether this case truly exists) that someone, despite their mpb, is perfectly healthy.

Here is my question: What treatments could potentially remedy this person's mpb?

masterofnone

Back to top Go down

Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics Empty Re: Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics

Post  AS54 Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 am

The genomic causes of hairloss aren't understood to a degree that a non-systemic treatment is available yet. We have pieces, and important ones, just not the nitty gritty. The treatments available that work by mechanisms developed according to our understanding of the genetics, well, they tend to cause a lot of problems for men, and aren't altogether that successful in the first place. Drugs like finasteride and dutasteride seem to be decent at stopping further loss, but regrowth isn't as easy. That's because we understand that androgens play a key role in MPB, but the things happening further downstream of this are still being figured out. Androgen blockade isn't viable at this point because we can't contain it to the tissues we want: the hair. We end up downregulating androgen activity through the whole system, and this is a huge problem.

The point of treatments here at the forum - besides avoiding the sides of more mainstream treatments - is to try and effect the process further upstream of the end organ. It won't work for everybody, but the connections that can be drawn between the thyroid, the adrenals, the immune system, etc. are what's being explored, to see whether we can have an impact on our loss with non-prescription therapies to target inflammatory instigators before they are able to effect our basic vulnerability to hair loss. Its not removing the underlying mechanisms of MPB, but trying to slow, halt, or throw a wrench in the gears of the machine.

Addressing the underlying genetic cause literally requires some type of means to "turn off" nuclear signalling inside of highly specific, specialized cells, and nowhere else. That's a tough egg to crack and there's just nothing viable out there, from what I've seen. Yet.

Take, for example, a study CS posted just the other day. It implicated JAK signalling in the etiology of alopecia areata. Its a different type of loss, but just so we can paint a picture here, JAK is a multi-functional kinase enzyme involved in many growth and cell death pathways. The cross-talk is mind boggling if you ever want to look up some of the images of the signalling cascades. Its just stupid. You begin to see how you have to be surgical and precise to a level we aren't yet. You can't go in and just start knocking out enzymes, which is pretty much where we are at now, otherwise you effect all of the other interconnected pathways.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics Empty Re: Best advice for someone balding almost purely from genetics

Post  stresssucks Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:22 am

You don't bald purely from genetics. It's genetics + underlying condition.

stresssucks

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

stresssucks wrote:You don't bald purely from genetics. It's genetics + underlying condition.

I'll attempt to further simplify it.

Androgens invite susceptibility to toxin exposure. This is why certain diseases are more prevalent in men than women.
A good example, just one of many is the relationship between mercury and zinc (a toxin displaces a mineral).

However, sometimes the inflammation comes from sources different from this relationship.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  masterofnone Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply AS54! That really changes the way I look at this

masterofnone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down