Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Chelating heavy metals from the Brain.

+6
lund
kijumn
europe
chapat
CausticSymmetry
hapyman
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. Empty Chelating heavy metals from the Brain.

Post  hapyman Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:13 pm

I think I remember humifulvate is one of the better ones... any others?

Just looking briefly I see that albumin removes mercury in the brain and supposedly you can increase your albumin levels by taking chlorella. This is interesting because I have never seen this as one of the benefits of chlorella even though people use it to chelate heavy metals. I'll have to look into this more when I get a chance.

Also Cilantro has been shown to remove heavy metals from the brain but it tends to deposit these chelated metals into the peripheral tissues. Seems like when taking cilantro you would want to take something else like MCP then.

Lastly, I ran across this product called "Mercury magnet", which contains Oak Bark along with Zinc. They said in an animal study it removed 87% of mercury in the brain in just 11 days.

Here is a link if you want to check it out. The page/link dedicated to the product has more information on the research performed.

Mercury Magnet

Has anyone heard of Oak Bark before? CS? I am thinking about trying this out for a month.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. Empty Re: Chelating heavy metals from the Brain.

Post  hapyman Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/white-oak-bark.cfm

Seems maybe the high tannin count might be the reasoning behind its chelating actions.

That mercury magnet is expensive for some reason. The link above has pure white oak bark for much cheaper.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. Empty Re: Chelating heavy metals from the Brain.

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:49 pm

hapyman - I've never heard of oak bark before.

As far as removing mercury from the brain, humifulvate is the most effective way (proven) to accomplish this.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 am

Any special considerations when taking humifulvate? Should I be taking anything specific in between cycles?
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:36 am

hapyman - It's safe to take daily. Unfortunately since this has to be taken between meals it can be a bit of a hassle long term. No need to cycle it. One the bulk of mercury has been eliminated, you could switch to Iodine, which is reported to be an effective mercury chelator and much more convenient to take.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am

I have been taking humifulvate at night, right before bed on an empty stomach. So far so good. I also have been taking chlorella/spirulina with my protein shakes and am thinking about trying out MCP because it sounds like a great product (the jarrow's formula that is).

One thing that I noticed while taking humifulvate is that my urine output in the morning is very dark. Pretty sure this is a good sign since I take it with a whole glass of water.

Thanks for all the input IH.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 am

hapyman - That's interesting about the dark color. I've got quite a few bottles of humifulvate, so I should take advantage of it. I like your idea of taking it at night.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chapat Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:23 am

IH I had mentioned before that I had mercury poisoning and had detoxed with DMSA, EDTA chelation and Glutathione shots I had the heavy metals urine test come back I am free of mercury but I still might have a good amount in my brain right? The amount that I first had in my was a huge amount plus I don't know how long I had it.

chapat

Back to top Go down

Post  europe Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:28 am

where did you get that mercury in your bloodstream, man ?
reminds you something in particular, a way of live ?
europe
europe

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

chapat - DMSA removes mercury from the brain, so you probably have quite a bit less of it.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chapat Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Its that grey area that I see, I read reports that DMSA only removes from the body and some say it removes from both. I was just on a Mercury detox page and read that ALA only removes mercury from the brain.

chapat

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Fri May 01, 2009 11:07 am

Hey hapyman,

I've been meaning to post this as I have a bunch of info regarding heavy metal detox on my computer as I've been studying this a lot lately and how to remove mercury/lead from the brain and let me tell you there is a lot of conflicting info.

Anyway, so far with MCP I can definitely say that it has at least "temorarily" removed that calcium type deposit feeling that I have on my crown. My eyes are whiter and brighter and my posture is also "a lot" better.

Today, I received humifulvate from iherb so I can start to experiment with that as well so I can chelate mercury from my brain better. The last option I was going to go with was Andy Culter's edta/alpha lipoic acid to chelate mercury from the brain. Here's a lot of good posts of Andy Cutler's that I'd recommend for you to read

FWIW, I've also experimented with french green clay and I prefer MCP/MA. I kept getting mild/moderate headaches from the french green clay but I have no idea if that was from another sort of detox reaction or what. It never left me constipated at all even though others on this forum said it caused them to be and I took a tablespoon of clay in a glass of water several days in a row. I read that the constipation from FGC could be from less then optimal digestion or something to the effect of blocked colon or whatever.

http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/ANDY_INDEX.html#mercury_effects

here is some info regarding humifulvate

http://www.humet.com/acatalog/humetscience.html

http://www.humet.com/acatalog/humifulvatescience.html#Human

here is some info regarding alpha lipoic acid if you go with Andy Culter's protocol

http://www.i-amperfectlyhealthy.com/Alphalipoicacid.html

here is some info regarding chelating mercury/heavy metals with french green clay and has a lot of other very useful info regarding french green clay

http://www.eytonsearth.org/mercury-toxicity-bentonite-clay.php

And lastly, I've started to take selenium, Vitamin E and Vitamin C to help with my detox. See info below for more info why ...

Here are a bunch of quotes that I've collected on my computer that might help you

But again, check out Andy Culter's protocol and humifulvate for chelating past the BBB. Also, check out the quote below about the possibility that if reducing whole body heavy metals that the brain will have lesser quantities as well. Know idea if it's accurate but interesting nonetheless.

hope this helps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is good evidence that EDTA, taking orally, will remove mercury from the brain, through the body, through the stomach and/or intestinal wall, into the EDTA, and thus out:

Based on the chemical laws of isotonicity, (equal osmotic pressure in a liquid solution), free heavy metal ions are pulled from the body into the stomach/ intestinal tract and excreted. Therefore oral EDTA enhances the electro-magnetic phenomenon by achieving a high concentration gradient that overcomes the blood-brain barrier and the mercury ions are excreted from the brain. (Source)

In more simple language the above paragraph simply says that where you have a certain amount of substance (such as mercury) in one place (the body) and there is a "barrier" between that place (the body) and another place (the brain) that the concentration of that substance will tend to be the same in both places if the barrier is permeable to that substance. If you remove mercury from the body, the concentration becomes LESS in the body than it is in the brain. This will cause a flow of this substance from the area of high concentration into the area of low concentration. Thus, removal of metals from the body, by any process, will tend to reduce those same metals from the brain if they can pass through the barrier.

Some items CAN pass through this barrier, such as mercury, but the movement would always be OUT of the brain when mercury is being removed from the body.

"There are rumors that EDTA or DMSA can cause mercury to enter the brain. That is totally false. Those chelators bind tightly and inertly to metals and remove them from the body in the urine."

"DMSA removes mercury (and also lead) from the brain almost 3 times more effectively than DMPS (see research report below). And DMPS is 3 times more toxic than DMSA (based on LD50). The brain is where most toxicity occurs."

"These physicians then wrongly assume that EDTA is not a good chelator of mercury. In fact, EDTA has a greater affinity for mercury than copper, lead, zinc, in that order."

http://www.oralchelation.com/faq/answers64.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quotes from Andy Cutler =

It is pretty clear from case reports (from patients, not MD's).

Endocrine problems, especially poor stress tolerance: brain.

Emotional volatility, difficulty teling what people are about: brain

Difficutly getting along with people, attention deficit: brain

Brain fog is about 70/30 body/brain. Mostly it does go away even without
brain detox.

Yeast is actually a brain related problem (it is controlled by inadequate
hormone levels, especially hydrocortisone) and while it improves with body
detox, it doesn't go away until the brain is cleared if it is a real bad
case.

Allergies, food sensitivities, chemical sensitivities do mostly go away
with body detox.

Fibromyalgia seems to be mostly body tox. Chronic fatigue seems to be about
70/30 body/brain.

Andy Cutler

---------------------------------------------------

"I don't claim nobody gets well who has mercury in the brain unless they use
LA - far from it! Many people actually get well enough just from amalgam
removal that they decide they are fine and stop there (or live in places with
more restrictive health care laws like Sweden where they have no choice).

I only claim that mercury remains in the brain unless you remove it with LA
(or some unknown similar agent, but DMPS and DMSA don't do it) and if you
have problems due solely to that mercury you won't get rid of them without
removing it.

This is pretty relevant on THIS list since autistic children as a rule are
still having neurological (and other) symptoms long after exposure was ended
- if they have mercury they very likely DO need to get it out of their
brains.

Andy"

[mercury] Half life in brain is estimated from autopsy data to be no less than 16-25
years and possibly infinite.

Andy

http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/ANDY_INDEX.html#mercury_effects

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sauna is a proven way to get rid of some of the mercury body burden.

Bernie is right. It only clears the blood and extracellular space, like
DMPS and DMSA, but if an adult sweats out a quart or two of sweat a day it
is the same as using 100-200 mg DMSA every 4 hours that day.

It clears a lot of other things, too, and it turns out sweat is the major
route nickel takes on its way out of the body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mercury redistribution throughout the body is probably the most serious part of this type of chelation and responsible for organ damage and side effects which are reported."

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1165626

DMSA (meso-2, 3-dimercaptosucccinic acid) is another mercury chelating agent. It is the only chelating agent other than cilantro and d-penicillamine81 that penetrates brain cells.

Using large doses of chlorella facilitates fecal mercury excretion. After the intestinal mercury burden is lowered, mercury will more readily migrate into the intestine from other body tissues from where chlorella will effectively remove it.
Chlorella is not tolerated by about one-third of people due to gastrointestinal distress. Chitosan can be effectively used as an alternative in these individuals. Chitosan makes up most of the hull of insects shellfish and also bind metals like mercury from the lumen of the intestines.

Cilantro alone often does not remove mercury from the body; it often only displaces the metals form intracellularly or from deeper body stores to more superficial structures, from where it can be easier removed with the previously described agents

Vitamin E doses of 400 I.U per day have been shown to have a protective effect when the brain is exposed to methyl-mercury.68 105 Selenium, 200-400 mcg daily,106 107 108 109 is a particularly important trace mineral in mercury elimination and should be used for most patients.

There is a suggestion in a rat model that lipoic acid may also be useful,113 but some clinicians are concerned about the potential of lipoic acid to bring mercury into the brain early in the stages of chelation, similar to DMSA and N-acetylcysteine (NAC), which has also been used in mercury chelation.114 Doses larger than 50-100 mg per day should be used with caution.

Vitamin C is also a helpful supplement for mercury elimination as it will tend to mobilize mercury from intracellular stores

Personal experience has shown that the addition of 2 ml [of hyaluronic acid] with the DMPS tends to improve the excretion of mercury by two to four fold with virtually no toxicity

http://www.mercola.com/article/mercury/mercury_elimination.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since then, numerous studies have shown selenium supplementation counteracts the negative impacts of exposure to mercury, particularly in regard to neurotoxicity, fetotoxicity, and developmental toxicity. The ability of selenium compounds to decrease the toxic action of mercury has been established in many species of mammals, birds, and fish. The detoxifying effect of selenium on mercury toxicity is due to a formation of a biologically inactive complex containing the elements in an equimolar ratio. The complex is unable to pass biological barriers, placenta and choroid plexus and is stored in the liver and the spleen, even in the brain in a non toxic form.

It is well recognized that mercury and sulphur bind together to form complexes. This binding property is the basis of chelating therapy used as a treatment in cases of acute and chronic mercury poisoning. The complexes between mercury and selenium are less generally known but of much higher affinity. Physiologically, sulphur is far more abundant than selenium, yet because of selenium’s higher affinity, mercury selectively binds with selenium to form insoluble mercury selenides. This interaction has been assumed to be a ‘protective’ effect whereby supplemental selenium complexes the mercury and prevents negative effects in animals fed otherwise toxic amounts of mercury.

When selenium and mercury are found together, they connect forming a new compound making it difficult for the body to absorb the mercury separately. Scientists have also tagged cysteine in fish binding with mercury also making it safer to eat. When mercury “binds” to selenium or cysteine it is no longer free to “bind” to anything else — like brain or kidney tissue.

Selenium deficiency results not only in a decrease of
GSHPx activity, but also in a decrease of GSHPx protein.[xxviii]

Dr. Laura Raymond and Dr. Nicholas Ralston of the University of North Dakota tell us that, “Measuring the amount of mercury present in the environment or food sources may provide an inadequate reflection of the potential for health risks if the protective effects of selenium are not also considered. Owing to the extremely high affinity between mercury and selenium, selenium sequesters mercury and reduces its biological availability. It is obvious that the converse is also true; as a result of the high affinity complexes formed, mercury sequesters selenium. This is important because selenium is required for normal activity of numerous selenium dependent enzymes.”[xxix]

Selenium’s involvement is apparent throughout the mercury
cycle, influencing its transport, biogeochemical exposure,

bioavailability, toxicological consequences, and remediation.
Dr. Raymond and Dr. Ralston

Glutathione happens to be the most important of these selenium dependent enzymes. Mercury is highly toxic but mercury’s toxic ruin varies greatly with selenium and glutathione levels. These are the key variables that determine the harm done or the power each individual has to escape the poisonous effect of mercury and other dangerous toxins in the environment. Our defensive shields against both acute and chronic exposure to mercury depend very much on selenium and glutathione.

Selenium is useful as a controlling agent for
mercury, which attacks insulin and its binding sites.

Selenium is a hugely important subject for more reasons than easily meets the eye. Mercury binds with selenium reducing its availability for other functions i.e., for glutathione production in the cells. Thus it is not unreasonable reasoning to see a chain of events starting with mercury contamination passing from mother to child in utero (via mercury vaccines for mother and mothers dental amalgams and fish consumption) stripping the yet to be born of selenium. Newborns receiving more contamination through mother’s milk add to the profile of babies having their selenium levels depleted and thus their glutathione levels set too low to resist childhood vaccines containing thimerosal (fifty percent ethyl mercury) and other toxic elements.

The last 25 years the average daily selenium intake has fallen from 60µg/day to 35µg/day.[xxx] The UK government has established a Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI) level of selenium at 75µg/day.[xxxi] Therefore a nutritional gap now exists between the actual recommended level of daily selenium and what people are actually achieving through their diets. When we calculate in the Rising Tide of Mercury and the extra demands that makes on our selenium stores/nutritional intake we can now see the disaster that has been in the making for decades.

Selenium is absolutely essential in the age of mercury toxicity for it is the perfect antidote for mercury exposure. It is literally raining mercury all over the world but especially in the northern hemisphere. And of course with the dentists poisoning a world of patients with mercury dental amalgam and the doctors doing the same with their mercury laden vaccines, selenium is more important than most of us imagine.

Selenium offers online in real defense time against mercury. As mercury enters our bodies, if there is sufficient selenium it will mop up the mercury before it can bind to its favorite sulfur sites or pass through the blood brain barrier. Taking more selenium reduces the level of “free” mercury doing damage. Minerals and trace elements, the basic building blocks of our bodies, are just not as readily available in our diet as they once were and in the case of selenium this is compounded by the fact that certain vast areas of the world have low selenium contents in the soil and thus the food.

General Information on Selenium

High doses of vitamin C (over 1 gram) may reduce the
absorption of selenium. This mineral is best taken one hour
before or 20 minutes after taking vitamin C supplements.[xxxii]

http://www.healthsalon.org/290/cancer-alternative-treatments-selenium-iodine-alpha-lipoic-acid-and-sodium-bicarbonate/
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  chapat Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 am

Is lipoic acid the only thing that will take stuff out of the brain in
your opinion?

It is the only thing known to do it safely. The old (and very nasty)
chelating agent BAL will do it. There is some rumor and innuendo that
cilantro will do it which I don't completely discount, but I wouldn't say it
is by any means proven.

Andy Cutler

chapat

Back to top Go down

Post  chapat Fri May 01, 2009 12:01 pm

So I guess just pick some chelating agents and hope it chelates it from the brain since so many people say different things.

chapat

Back to top Go down

Chelating heavy metals from the Brain. Empty You are always a wealth of information :D

Post  hapyman Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info JDP. BTW I have taken bentonite clay during detoxes and it is best to take with fiber pills to prevent constipation. I usually take a dose of bentonite with 4 psyllium husk pills and everything moves fine. Also this is the only combination that has gotten rid of mucoid plaque for me (that stuff is sick). I feel I am absorbing my food so much better now since doing it... it really scrubs out the small intestines.

I am taking humifulvate right now and it seems promising and will probably continue using it. Was thinking about adding the jarrow's MA/MCP combo too for the 'ol one two punch. I also take chlorella\spirulina on work out days.

The reasons I am doing heavy metal cleansing is because of cognitive function (anxiety, lack of concentration, sleep, etc) and candida problems. Candida problems apparently won't go away if you have heavy metal toxicity.

So here is my plan:

Chelation
Humifulvate - 1 per night (for brain).
Jarrows MCP/MA - 3 per day? for 4 weeks

Support/Cleanup
Iodine - (@ 5 drops in the morning right now... will prob increase until negative reaction and then scale back)
Chlorella/Spirulina - couple times a week
Selenium - (how much should I take? )
Vitamin E - (how much of this should I take per day? I have 400 IU caps)
Vitamin C - 1-3 grams per day

Other considerations that are maybe not
related but thinking of adding to my regiment

Melatonin to aid in sleep (or maybe Ornithine)
Vitamin B12 - looking into some sublinguals
Fibroboost - haven't pulled to trigger yet.

Other supplements already taking
Krill Oil - 2 caps per day
Vitamin D3 - 2000 - 6000 IUs per day
Jarrows Dophilus + FOS - 2 caps per day
MSM - 1g per day
Mag Oil - 6 sprays per day
Broccomax!!! cheers
Cruciferous Vegetables/DIM (by NSI) - 1 cap per day
Resvertrol - Grape Seed & Red Wine extract (NSI) - 1 per day
Curcumin\Turmeric - 1-2 caps per day (500mg:500mg)
Organic Olive Oil - Cooking or just a Tbsp here and there
ACV & baking soda - Almost once per day
Mind-Sharp Complex (Cats Claw, Ginko, etc etc) - 1 per day
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Fri May 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Man... I meant coconut oil not olive oil... SEE! jk

Also I have been taking a tocopherol and tocotrienol supplement w/ Q10 by NSI
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Fri May 01, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm fired... I forgot to add some others that are on my wish list at iHerb right now but haven't pulled the trigger.

Niacinamide - for the candida fight
Taurine - for the support and eating like crap on the off occasion
Fibroboost
Chia Seeds (more Omega-3s your rec.)
Dr. Ohira's - its just so damn expensive but probably well worth it right?
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri May 01, 2009 1:23 pm

hapyman - Jarrow EPS is pretty good too and it's cheaper.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Fri May 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Nice! 8 strains and 120 caps for $25 or 60 for $15. Not bad. Thanks CS.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sat May 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Hey hapyman,

Since you're already taking 2 krill oil pills a day I'd personally skip the chia seeds.

As for how much selenium and Vitamin E I really can't say as I'm just going off of that info from Mercola's website that I posted. I've personally been taking 400 IU every 1 - 3 days. I'm not crazy about taking this much Vitamin E though and with selenium, I just started taking this product and may take it every day or two

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Activated-Selenium-200-mcg-60-Capsules/169?at=0

Notice how it contains Broccomax!!! This may be a cheap solution!

BTW, this was an interesting quote I posted earlier in the thread ...

"Personal experience has shown that the addition of 2 ml [of hyaluronic acid] with the DMPS tends to improve the excretion of mercury by two to four fold with virtually no toxicity"
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sat May 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Hey hapyman,

I just wanted to reiterate the reason why I'm taking selenium as it appears extremely important in case it was missed ...

"Selenium offers online in real defense time against mercury. As mercury enters our bodies, if there is sufficient selenium it will mop up the mercury before it can bind to its favorite sulfur sites or pass through the blood brain barrier. Taking more selenium reduces the level of “free” mercury doing damage."
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 pm

jdp710 - That's amazing, the 9 milligrams is an incredible deal on Sulphoraphane.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hapyman Sun May 03, 2009 1:55 am

Yeah good find. I guess you could get the broccomax and just alternate days with the activated selenium. Like Monday - Broccomax. Tuesday activated selenium. That would save a lot of money.

Can't remember where I saw it but I guess garlic contains a good amount of selenium and apparently broccoli does as well. Both broccoli and garlic contain the most active form as well:

It turns out that the type most usable by the body is called Selenium Methyl selenocysteine. And the food richest in this form is broccoli. The other selenium champion is garlic.

Another surprising finding is that the most actively produced and sold to the public, selenomethione (SeMSC, found in grains) was ineffective in stopping cancer induced in animal tests! One should not blame the sellers since this is a brand-new discovery. Another form, selenate was helpful though inferior to SeMSC.

This is the exact form found in jarrow's so it appears to be a legitimately good product. I try to eat raw garlic cloves every once in awhile and cook with it all the time. I know cooking with it isn't as good but... it's so damn delicious.
hapyman
hapyman

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sun May 03, 2009 6:36 am

Hey hapyman,

This might have been the study you read

-----------------------------------------

"Reduction of cancer risk by consumption of selenium-enriched plants: enrichment of broccoli with selenium increases the anticarcinogenic properties of broccoli.

Finley JW.

United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202-9034, USA. jfinley@gfhnrc.ars.usda.gov

Plant-based diets and phytochemicals present in plants are associated with decreased risk of cancer. Brassica species, and broccoli in particular, are associated with reduced risk of several important cancers. Selenium (Se) is an essential nutrient that is covalently bound in a number of different chemical forms found in plants. Broccoli accumulates Se many-fold beyond the concentration of Se in the soil, and the chemical form of Se in broccoli is similar to the chemical form in high-Se garlic, a food with unique chemoprotective properties. Se from broccoli grown to accumulate more than 500 micro g Se/g did not accumulate in rat tissues or increase glutathione peroxidase enzyme activity to the same extent as Se salts or seleno-amino acids. Se from high-Se broccoli decreased the incidence of aberrant crypts in rats with chemically induced colon cancer by more than 50%, compared with controls. Se from high-Se broccoli also decreased the incidence of mammary tumors in rats treated with 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA) and tumor number and volume in APC(min) mice. These results suggest that development of methods to increase the natural accumulation of Se in broccoli may greatly enhance its health-promoting properties."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12804017?dopt=Abstract
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sun May 03, 2009 6:48 am

more info showing seleniums protective role against heavy metals

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selenium in the treatment of heavy metal poisoning and chemical carcinogenesis.

Whanger PD.

Department of Agricultural Chemistry, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97331.

Selenium (Se) has been shown to counteract the toxicity of heavy metals such as cadmium, inorganic mercury, methylmercury, thallium and to a limited extent silver. Although not as effective as Se, vitamin E significantly alters methylmercury toxicity and is more effective than Se against silver toxicity. Vitamin E is very effective against lead toxicity but Se has little effect. The presumed protective effect of Se against cadmium and mercury toxicity is through the diversion in their binding from low molecular weight proteins to higher molecular weight ones. Se appears effective in counteracting the chemical carcinogens (3-methyl-4-dimethyl-aminoazobenzene, 2-acetylaminofluorene, diethylnitrosamine, aflatoxin, 7,12-dimethylben (a) anthracene, benzopyrene and 3-methylcholanthrene) used to induce skin, liver and mammary tumors, but much less effective against those (dimethylhydrazine, azoxymethane, methylazoxymethanol, bis (2-oxopropyl) nitrosamine, benzopyrene, 1 methyl-1-nitrosourea and n-methyl-n-nitro-nitrosoguanidine) used to produce tumors in the colon, lungs, trachea and pancreas in laboratory animals. In contrast, Se many even increase pancreatic carcinomas in animals treated with bis (2-oxopropyl) nitrosamine. The health implications in humans of Se and heavy metal toxicities and in cancer are discussed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1304229?dopt=Abstract

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects of selenium antagonists on cancer susceptibility: new aspects of chronic heavy metal toxicity.

Schrauzer GN.

Uptake, transport, metabolism and physiological activity of selenium are influenced by interactions with a variety of heavy metals. With elements exhibiting especially high affinities for selenium, significant interactions may occur at concentrations close to the no-effect threshold levels. At low dietary Se intakes, this may produce states of latent Se deficiency as well as increased susceptibility to cancer development. In experiments with MMTV-infected female mice, exposures to low levels of the Se-antagonistic elements As, Pb and Cd in the drinking water abolish the cancer-protecting effects of Se. At higher exposure levels, these elements may act as inhibitors or promotors of malignant transformation and tumor growth. These findings are of potential importance to human health as the contaminant levels of Se-antagonistic elements in foods and in the environment result in exposures which often significantly exceed the dietary Se intakes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3299603?dopt=Abstract

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A model for metal selenide formation under biological conditions.

Nuttall KL.

The essential trace element selenium is known to be capable of reducing the toxicity of heavy metals like cadmium(II), mercury(II) and silver(I). One mechanism by which this occurs is through the formation of an inert metal selenide like silver selenide. It is not clear why selenide should react in the body preferentially with silver(I) over other metals such as zinc(II), an ion which is capable of forming zinc selenide, and which is present at relatively high levels. A reaction is discussed which can account for the ability of mercury(II) and silver(I) to lead to metal selenide formation in preference to zinc(II). Metal ions which have a sufficiently large formation constant for the metal selenide can induce the disproportionation of elemental selenium to produce the metal selenide; both mercury(II) and silver(I) can induce such reactions, whereas zinc(II) cannot. If this model is accurate, it should provide a basis to predict which metal ions can produce metal selenides in the body, and which ions are unlikely to result in metal selenide formation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3683250?dopt=Abstract

-------------------------------------------------------------
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next