Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?

3 posters

Go down

Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  Empty Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?

Post  scottyc33 Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-free-radical-theory-of-aging-dead

Interesting findings in these studies.

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  Empty Re: Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 am

Here's where the article fails to mention some important details:

Oxidation therapy (moderate exercise) helps augment the body's redox system (a balance of oxidation and antioxidant activity).

Over doing it on the garden variety of basic direct antioxidants, such as C and E during moderate exercise is when this system fails to deliver.

However, the "indirect" antioxidants from plant based sources improve both exercise and non-exercise periods.
A win-win.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?  Empty Re: Is the Free-Radical Theory of Aging Dead?

Post  AS54 Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 am

I think we need to also address oxygen utilization here. If we go back to some basic biology 101, oxygen wasn't always present while life was. In fact, the accumulation of oxygen in the atmosphere forced single celled organisms to evolve rapidly in order to deal with it, because oxygen is fairly toxic in certain states. Well eukaryotic cells which eventually gave way to more advanced forms of life had a particularly useful adaptation, endosymbiosis. They literally absorbed a prokaryote who was capable of utilizing oxygen via aerobic metabolism. Now they could use this new organelle to mitigate the threat of oxygen. These became the mitochondria.

These vastly important organelles, we all know as the furnace of the cell, are often not looked at for this property: they protect you from the damaging effects of the atmosphere you live in. The ability to utilize oxygen and prevent it from wreaking havoc in the body is incredibly important. Oxygen radicals are a factor in aging and anything that prevents the proper utilization of oxygen will not only lead to symptoms of aging (think apnea), but also lead to mineral imbalance and calcification, a major feature of aging. Now, I'm not saying that oxidation levels are the strongest predictor of lifespan. That isn't the same, but they do lead to problems in the body that I believe contribute to processes that lead to death.

So what is the number one way of ensuring proper utilization of oxygen? Adequate carbohydrate consumption (has to be utilized though, i.e. get into the cell) and also adequate levels of minerals.

Think of metal left outside. It rusts correct. Oxygen is so electronegative that it could be generally considered corrosive to certain modes of life. Oxidative metabolism was an evolutionary adaptation to produce "slow rusting" in living things, rather than death. Oxidative metabolism slows down the process but it doesn't stop it, that's where our antioxidant enzymes come in and they don't even completely stop it. So it makes absolutely no sense to me to not consider oxidation as a factor in aging. Look at evolutionary history as evidence. I mean, we had to evolve major life processes to combat it, obviously it is a potent biological challenge. Of course, I think there are others. I think aubrey de gray has it right. There are other factors. But we can't count out oxidation.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down