Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity?

2 posters

Go down

Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? Empty Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity?

Post  bh2o Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:41 am

This topic has been touched on before here. I'm taking glutamine as part of a gut healing protocol right now, 10-20g of it in two doses a day. If glutamine does convert into glutamate within neurons, is supplementation a bad idea? I google searched and came up with this from Mercola:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/05/01/glutamine.aspx

Glutamine is an amino acid that makes up the majority of our skeletal muscle. There is some controversy over whether oral glutamine supplementation is toxic or helpful to healthy people. In a past article, Dr. Robert Crayhon expressed the view of many natural medicine experts, "After reviewing the literature, I am unconvinced that high-dose oral glutamine supplementation is toxic to neurons in healthy persons."

However, Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of the highly recommended Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills wrote in to me with another viewpoint and his response is below.

By Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.
Advanced Nutritional Concepts, LLC.

Dr. Robert Crayhon posted comments on this site indicating that I was terribly mistaken in my caution concerning the use of glutamine and that he had consulted several "cell biologists" who were also concerned with my statements on glutamine safety. In fact it was stated that I apparently did not understand that glutamine was not an excitotoxin and was not converted into an excitotoxin.

Of course, I never stated glutamine was an excitotoxin, but I do state that it is converted into the excitotoxin glutamate within neurons. Numerous recent studies as well as Siegel’s Basic Neurochemistry textbook emphatically state that the major source of glutamate is from glutamine in the brain. Normally, when the brain finishes using glutamate for chemical communication between brain cells at the synapse the glutamate is taken up by surrounding glial cells and changed by the enzyme glutamine synthease into glutamine, where it is stored.

The Problem With Excitotoxins

The glutamine is then transported to the neuron and by the enzyme glutaminase, it is converted to glutamate--the potential excitotoxin. I say potential because unless it accumulates outside the brain cell it is harmless.

This is the major source of glutamate within the brain. Excitotoxins are usually amino acids, such as glutamate and aspartate. These special amino acids cause particular brain cells to become excessively excited, to the point they will quickly die. Excitotoxins can also cause a loss of brain synapses and connecting fibers. Food-borne excitotoxins include such additives as MSG, aspartame, hydrolyzed protein and soy protein extract.

In two recent studies it was found that the amount of glutamine in the brain could predict the brain damage seen both in pediatric brain injuries and brain damage secondary to seizures. Adding large amounts of glutamine to the diet increases significantly brain levels of glutamine and, hence, glutamate. Another study found that by adding glutamine to the diet of animals exposed to another powerful excitotoxin called quinolinic acid, brain cell damage was increased significantly. Quinolinic acid is known to accumulate in the brain in most cases of viral brain infection as seen with HIV dementia and viral encephalitis.

Glutamine and Liver Toxicity

Individuals with liver toxicity tend to accumulate ammonia in their blood and brain. Until recently, it was assumed that it was the ammonia that caused liver disease-associated brain injury and that glutamine was protective.

Newer studies indicate that actually it is the glutamine that is causing the brain’s injury. Increasing glutamine in the diet would significantly aggravate this damage.

Free Radicals in the Brain

Glutamine accumulation has also been found in Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease and high levels of brain glutamine have been associated with a worse prognosis in Lou Gehrig’s disease. Likewise, recent studies have shown that high brain glutamine levels increase brain levels of free radicals and impair the ability of brain mitochondria to produce energy. When the brain produces low energy, excitotoxins, such as glutamate, become even more toxic. It has been shown that the reason for glutamine toxicity under these conditions is because it is converted to the excitotoxin--glutamate.

Glutamine and Multiple Sclerosis

Of particular concern is the finding that people with multiple sclerosis have increased levels of the enzyme glutaminase (the enzyme that converts glutamine into glutamate) in areas of nerve fiber damage. High levels of glutamine in the diet would increase glutamate levels near these injured areas magnifying the damage. It has been shown that excitotoxicity plays a major role in multiple sclerosis by destroying the cells (oligodendrocytes) that produce myelin.

Glutamine and Pregnant Women

Another area of concern would be pregnant women. Glutamine passes through the placenta and may actually be concentrated in the baby’s blood, producing very high levels. Glutamate plays a major role in the development of the baby’s brain. Excess glutamate has been shown to cause significant impairment of brain development in babies and can lead to mental retardation.

When to Use Glutamine

The major use for high-dose glutamine would be to repair gastrointestinal injury. In such cases, I would recommend short-term use only. Those with a history of the following conditions should avoid glutamine, even for short-term use:
•Stroke
•Neurodegenerative disease
•Pregnancy
•Malignancy
•Recent vaccinations
•ADHD
•Hypoglycemia
•Autism
•Multiple sclerosis
•Other neurological disorders

Glutamine has recently been shown to produce extreme hypoglycemia, even more so than leucine, which is known to produce fatal hypoglycemia in infants.

The reason Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is not seen with glutamine challenge is that the glutamate receptors in the lungs and esophagus are stimulated by glutamate, not glutamine. The glutamine must be converted first and this occurs primarily in the brain.

The only safe situation for glutamine use is in the vigorous athlete. Glutamine is used as a muscle fuel, so that vigorous exercise will consume most of the glutamine before it can accumulate in the brain. I would still avoid long-term use in high doses. I would caution readers to avoid excess glutamine, especially in the above named conditions and situations.

I looked into this because I have been feeling pretty bad lately, I can't say for sure if it is the glutamine that is causing this, but it is one of the additions that coincides with increased depression and stress (timewise). Thinking about canning this stuff and taking an safer alternative.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? Empty Re: Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity?

Post  bh2o Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 am

Here is a very good discussion on things that start with gluta (and MSG):

http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/10/928.html?1237070782

And of course, our very own:

https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t2086-rebuilding-the-gut-lining

EDIT: I wish I had done more research before just going and supplementing things SMH study
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity? Empty Re: Can Glutamine Supplementation Lead to Toxicity?

Post  bh2o Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 am

Jdp previously mentioned that gelatin capsules contain MSG. I am currently taking NOW Super Enzymes, in capsule form. Aside from the gelatin, could the Betain HCL itself cause a MSG reaction, being that most Betaine, from what I gather, is derived from beets which are high in glutamate?

http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/4/1880.html?1289799377

Something else to consider looking into before supplementing.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

In most cases there isn't a need to be overly concerned with glutamine or sources of glutamate.

Blaylock goes a little overboard, just like Mercola does.

There are much worse things to worry about that slip under the radar.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for posting CS. I think I'm just going to lay off of it for a some days to see if I notice anything.

I have been thinking about doing a consult with you. Give me some time to sort some things out and I will shoot you a PM with questions. Take care.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down