Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food

+3
CausticSymmetry
tao81
blackjack
7 posters

Go down

Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food Empty Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food

Post  blackjack Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 am

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-bacon/?src=mv

A new Harvard study that found no increased risk of heart disease among meat eaters is generating a lot of buzz for red meat. “A Guilt-Free Hamburger,” reads one headline. “Order the Steak,” begins another.

But the research, published this week in the journal Circulation, is not so much a celebration of red meat as it is an indictment of processed meats like bacon, sausage and deli meats. Eating one serving of those foods a day was associated with a 42 percent higher risk of heart disease and 19 percent increased risk of diabetes. But there was no increase in risk associated with eating unprocessed red meat.

The findings come from a broad analysis of several studies tracking meat consumption and cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Processed meats include bacon, salami, sausages, hot dogs or processed deli or luncheon meats.

Notably, the culprit in processed meats wasn’t the saturated fat or cholesterol — both whole cuts of meat and processed meats contained the same amount per serving. The big differences were the levels of sodium and chemical preservatives. Processed meats had about four times more sodium and 50 percent more nitrate preservatives than unprocessed meats.

The study suggests meats like burgers and steaks have been wrongly implicated in heart disease. But that mistake likely occurred because the people who eat a lot of meat also tend to consume high amounts of bacon, hot dogs and other processed meats.

While it’s true that the study will make it easier to enjoy a burger, at least if we’re worried about our heart, it doesn’t address research that has linked an increased risk of colon cancer with high meat consumption. In addition, many people skip red meat not for personal health reasons but because they are concerned about the health of the planet.

Livestock account for 18 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions. Compared with a burger, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich saves as much as 2.5 pounds of carbon dioxide, 280 gallons of water and 50 square feet of land, according to the Web site PBJCampaign.org

And for more on the nonhealth reasons to cut back on red meat, read this story by the Times food writer Mark Bittman, “Rethinking the Meat Guzzler.”

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food Empty Re: Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food

Post  blackjack Fri May 21, 2010 12:39 am

heres correct link http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/dont-bring-home-the-bacon/?src=mv

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food Empty Re: Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food

Post  tao81 Fri May 21, 2010 1:46 am

I think red meat is healty, because the high amount of carnosine.

tao81

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri May 21, 2010 3:20 am

It's good to see vindicating press on this once demonized food, because I've been downing red meat guilt free for over ten years now. For years, I would get funny stares for just stating the facts on red meat. I would usually have to point out studies which the average person couldn't understand, but this one speaks it in plain English.

Of course grass-fed is even better for us, containing extra amounts of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid). Red meat is of course a very useful form of iron (not the bad kind that comes from fortified or "enriched foods") and like tao81 pointed out, a great source of Carnosine is which a longevity nutrient.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Fri May 21, 2010 3:58 am

Red meat is great food .. Chicken however, i feel is something to avoid.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  brandnew Fri May 21, 2010 4:08 am

care to explain, why you think chicken is something to avoid? That is all I eat at the moment!

brandnew

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Fri May 21, 2010 4:18 am

brandnew, I think the chicken industry has created an ungodly unhealthy meat type. Chickens are raised in 30 days because
they are fed growth-hormones and estrogens .. normal wild chickens are not infected in excess by salmonella, industry-chickens
are! .. as well as other bacteria. The solution of course is to add alot of antibiotics to the coctail ..

Farmed salmon is something along the same lines but in a different way .. norwegians come to denmark now, to catch wild salmon! Pretty funny, and tragic at the same time .. wild salmon has begun to avoid the norwegian waters and seek elsewhere, this has to do with the
huge farming going on. Not sure about the exact mechanism.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Icanbeatthis Fri May 21, 2010 5:04 am

My main source of protein is wild canned fish from Vitalchoice.com, their stuff is of amazing quality and the prices are fairly cheap.

Costs me about 400$ CND shipped for 100 portions of salmon, good stuff and it supports sustainable fishing!

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Harvard study vindicates red meat, slams processed food Empty You have no real proof of that..

Post  Jocko59 Fri May 21, 2010 5:12 am

That is complete speculation vis a vis chicken versus beef. By the way, most beef is not grass fed. They are fattened up by grains and antibiotics so they mature more quickly. You have to look for grass fed beef very carefully since the majority of what is sold in stores is corn fed.

Jocko59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down