Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Alternative to R-ALA EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Alternative to R-ALA EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Alternative to R-ALA EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Alternative to R-ALA

4 posters

Go down

Alternative to R-ALA Empty Alternative to R-ALA

Post  DM5 Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 am

Hi! I am currently taking Acetyl-l-Carnitine but have had bad reflux problems with the R-ALA that I bought. It figures because it is Acid. Wondering if there is something other that or ALa that has some of the same actions and works synergistically with the ALCAR? I read somewhere that ALCAR taken alone can overstress mitochondria and that ALA was there to keep this from happening. Anything that can fill its role for ALCAR?
DM5
DM5

Back to top Go down

Alternative to R-ALA Empty Re: Alternative to R-ALA

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:19 am

danmrtini - Would stay on the Lipoic Acid, and here is why. Yes, you're right about Acetyl L-Carnitine, it's much better to take Lipoic acid with it, but that's not the only reason.

If you're worried about reflux or get it with Lipoic acid the real problem is either from a valve problem (esophageal sphincter) and/or too little acid, which ironically actually causes "acid reflux" problems.

There is one of three things you can try individually to see which will clear up the problem the fastest.

Probiotic such as Jarrow EPS. This improves digestion and acid "imbalances" in the gastointestinal tract.

If reflux is common with "acid like foods." A short course of orange peel extract (look for heart burn free by enzymatic therapy), take one capsule every other day, which is ten capsules for a period of 20-days. This increases the surface tension and "trains" the esophageal sphincter to stay shut after eating.

Or you want to increase your stomach acid by taking either Betaine HCL or Glutmatic Acid Hydrochloride. Not only will this help kill of certain bacteria that are often responsible for acid indigestion, but will decrease the fermentating waste acids associated with "acid reflux" and also help improve the actions of the esophageal sphincter, as it often doesn't stay shut when there is a shortage of real stomach acid.

Here's a repost of an earlier and related subject on this issue:

Pharmaceutical companies have paid enormous advertisement revenue to convince the public that heartburn, and GERD are results of too much stomach acid. It's opposite is actually true.

As we age, our production of stomach acid declines If too much acid were the issue, these problems wouldn't afflict so much and perhaps younger people would be vulnerable to it.

What we're doing with anti-acid is suppressing both good and bad acids. The bad acids occur when the good acids are low. The bad acids are undigested food rotting away, or what I call fermenting waste acids.

Our absorption of minerals is seriously compromised when our good stomach acid is low.

When natural stomach acid production is blocked, especially long term, the resulting complications frequently include death. The best and most common example of this is pneumonia. Sadly, we have constipated elderly who are told by conventional doctors to keep up on fiber when often they are seriously lacking stomach acid and minerals. They take anti-acids to relieve their gastrointestinal problems (a symptom of low stomach acid) and die of pneumonia.

Typical problems however are respiratory disorders, ala allergies, skin problems, being ill frequently, rheumatoid arthritis, sleeplessness, osteoporosis, indigestion, etc.

What about Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)? The problem is with the lower esophageal sphincter. Regardless of how much stomach acid is present during food digestion, that valve is normally shut tight. With GERD, it hangs open, allowing acids both good and/or bad to erode the esophageal lining.

There's two ways to fix this and several to treat it, but better to focus on repair. Supplying extra good acid will correct the problem. Betaine HCL tablets, taken following a meal. Or there is a 20-day fix involving orange peel extract. These are called "heart burn free," and made by Enymatic Therapy. You take a pill every other day for 10 days and it should be resolved. It works by increasing the surface tension over the esophageal sphincter, literally "training" the valve to remain shut during meals.

Ways to help heal it would be taking DGL or Zinc-Carnosine. Either one will help a lot.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  DM5 Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Thank you for you response! I have tried the more acid way and that didn't work in fact, I did that on 3 occasions: Apple Cider Vingegar, Hydrochloric Acid Tablets and something else and thought I was going to have to go the ER(stabbing pains in the lower abdomen). Funny thing is I have been in the care of Gastroenterologist for 2 years now and been up to 60mg prevacid and then back down to 30mg. Initially the scope they did found a gastic ulcer. The second scope did not find that again. And they did the wireless camera thing for the intestines(lower abdomen pain) and didn't find anything. I control the reflux when it gets real bad with Aloe Vera Juice, Slippery Elm and Marshmallow as well as taking the DGL extract. But if I won't ever eat anything that is pure acid like Vinegar as this will put me seriously out of commission(dizzy, pain, breathing problems, etc). As to why, all I can say is that the lining somewhere in there is pretty thin. I will try the orange peel and start loyally taking those things above, but in the mean time just wondering what I might substitute for the ALA until/if this ever resolves?
DM5
DM5

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:54 pm

danmrtini - A few questions:

You are still taking the Prevacid or any other acid blocker of H2 and/or proton pump inhibitor?

Is your ulcer still present?

An existing ulcer usually caused by Helicobacteria Pyrlori is best treated using high dose Sulforaphane.

This the most reasonably priced and best bang for the buck for Sulforaphane.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-BroccoMax-250-mg-60-Veggie-Caps/4297?at=0

For relief for thin stomach lining a product like this very helpful:

PepZin Gl (Zinc-L-Carnosine Complex)

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-PepZinGl-120-Veggie-Caps/2467?at=0

As far as substitute for Lipoic acid, there really isn't one. But, Ecklonia Cava (Fibroboost)
will help a little. Probably best to skip the ALC until you get the stomach lining/acid problem
normalized.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DM5 Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:39 pm

No longer taking Prevacid

Diagnosed with a gastric ulcer on first E.D.D. After year with Prevacid, 2nd E.D.D. showed no ulcer

I think I will try the zinc.

Is is detrimental to take Acetyl-L-Carnitine without Alpha Lipoic Acid? I mean would I be using up my store of energy that my body will need later as I age?
DM5
DM5

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:01 pm

danmrtini,

I suffer from a peptic ulcer and the Broccomax is amazing. I've tried the PepZin Gl that was linked to and while there are studies showing great results, IME, the Broccomax is the much better product.

You should be able to find some good info if you type ... Sulforaphane ulcer ... in google.

In short, now that I take broccomax my peptic ulcer is one of the last things I worry about.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:07 pm

danmrtini - I second jdp710.

You might consider adding a good probiotic like Jarrow EPS, it would probably be a lot easier to take Lipoic acid.

The reason it is vital to take lipoic acid when you take ALC is because while ALC does increase energy production in the cells mitochrondria, it also increases free-radicals as a results of this energy increase.

Lipoic acid not only increases antioxidant activity of endogenous antioxidants, but also of dietary antioxidants and will protect against mitochondrial free radical damage.

Lipoic acid also chelates many other causes of free radicals such as metals and acts as an insulin mimic so it can improve the utilization of glucose energy and keep glucose and insulin levels lower.

In a nutshell, you'll live a lot longer with lipoic acid, but without it the aging process could potentially accelerate.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DM5 Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:54 pm

The reason I dote on this issue is that I need to use ALCAR for other things as well. have had little luck with the lower abdominal pain when exposed to acid like this. I have tried it for 3 days and it worsened my reflux pretty bad. Since the main concern is extra free radical damage. Taking an antioxidant or combinations of, like green tea extract, grape seed, or pomegranite would give a decent boost in antioxidant activity similar to but minus the recycling ability of ALA, right.
DM5
DM5

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:59 pm

danmrtini - Yes, your correct. Ecklonia Cava would help since it is 40% fat soluble, it also penetrates the blood-brain barrier.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DM5 Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks.
DM5
DM5

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 am

When taking the broccomax have you guys been supplementing 1 or 2 times per day?

turbojet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down