Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptyToday at 9:12 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification?

3 posters

Go down

Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? Empty Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification?

Post  rob PHH Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 am

The science behind acetic acid's de-ossifying abilities is really interesting. I've heard of anecdotal reports of people halting or reversing hair loss with apple cider vinegar (which contains acetic acid). However, only recently did I start giving it more thought. Here's my logic, please hear me out:

Did any of you do the eggshell-vinegar experiment in middle school? Soaking an eggshell in a vinegar solution for 48 hours will dissolve the eggshell completely, leaving the egg’s membrane and the rest of its contents exposed but otherwise unaffected. This is because of the acetic acid in vinegar breaks down calcium carbonate crystals, converting the carbonate to carbon dioxide and leaving the calcium floating in the vinegar solution.

Physical therapists use the same logic to help remove soft tissue calcium deposits in injured areas. For many athletes, repetitive damage to your body’s tissues can result in soft tissue calcification, or calcium deposits. Doctors have turned to acetic acid treatments to help dissolve these calcium deposits and allow for their resorption in the body.

The treatment is called acetic acid iontophoresis, and I’ve actually received this first hand in high school. Doctors apply an acetic acid solution to an injured area, and with the aid of a pulsing ultrasound, generate negative ionic charges to more effectively deliver acetic acid to the injured tissue. This expedites the reversal of ossification in unwanted areas. It's EXTREMELY effective in certain cases. For instance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1549634

Basically, the treatment helps decalcify injured tissues. Those with pattern hair loss have calcification buildup (along with sebum + trapped DHT) in the scalp. The calcification severely restricts blood flow and could arguably be trapping the sebum + DHT. So decalcifying the scalp will almost undoubtably help your hair loss. That's part of the logic behind Detumescence Therapy.

Do you think this treatment (acetic acid + iontophoresis/pulsing ultrasounds) will help reverse calcification in the scalp, and thereby promote hair growth? My guess is yes, and that this could be why some people experience some success with laser therapy.

As a side note, I've had plenty of regrowth with Detumescence Therapy + moderate carb paleo, so I am not looking into this solution personally. But, I'm wondering if this could help catalyze growth for those in the early stages of DT.

Any thoughts? Here's a summary of research on the topic:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096143/#B15

rob PHH

https://perfecthairhealth.com/blog

Back to top Go down

Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? Empty Re: Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification?

Post  bananasinpajamas Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:33 am

I have seen a lot of talk and links to people talking about calcification in the scalp, but has anyone ever verified this via biopsy or dissection of a cadaver?

bananasinpajamas

Back to top Go down

Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification? Empty Re: Acetic Acid Iontophoresis = Speedier Scalp Decalcification?

Post  bananasinpajamas Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:34 am

How does LLLT decalcify the scalp? I have not heard of this

bananasinpajamas

Back to top Go down

Post  el_llama Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:45 pm

This is an old thread, I know. And what I should have done upon first reading it nearly ten years ago was go out and buy an iontophorensis machine off eBay and begin using it immediately; I've lots a lot of hair since then, but more to this point, I can feel how much more of my scalp's collagen, fatty tissue, and overall mass I've lost, and how little medium there is remaining for follicles to even prosper in. It might be a lost cause but I am looking into this now for once and for all because I believe there is no more direct way to address at least what is my problem of diffuse thinning because this the exactly what I can touch and feel, and the fact that this is connected to my hairloss is obvious.

I've done the occasional vinegar topical here and there, eventually growing bored and tired of it after very short amount of time, and I'm not sure that it had any effect whatsoever since I doubt that the acetic acid would be able to reach clear through the dermis all the way past until where it meets the galea. I had mixtures of that and DMSO but both that and the vinegar (ACV, diluted about 30-40% with boiled tap water in both cases) resulted in some irritation and burning.

Now there is this question: bananasinpajamas on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:33 pm
I have seen a lot of talk and links to people talking about calcification in the scalp, but has anyone ever verified this via biopsy or dissection of a cadaver?
And the answer is YES! When this was posted on the forum around the same time (10+ years ago), someone had posted the name of an MD who had been performing autopsies his entire career back in the mid-20th century and who had anecdotally published that he had observed that bald men always had ossification occur in the tops of their scalps. This specifically was in the 1960s I recall. And either he had xrays with his results or else someone did because I do recall seeing them on here.

Anyways, I still think this is a very worthy idea and I am leaning toward trying it asap. Just wanted to bring this back up to people's attention because it appears to be the most sensible argument and (hypothetical) treatment that I can think of.
Cheers

el_llama

CausticSymmetry and thissucks like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down