Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Someone Clarify Grains for Me EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Someone Clarify Grains for Me

+5
MilBA
j87x
CausticSymmetry
isis
helpmyhair1
9 posters

Go down

Someone Clarify Grains for Me Empty Someone Clarify Grains for Me

Post  helpmyhair1 Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 am

Been reading around the forum about grains, and the general consensus is to eliminate it as much as you can to benefit hair.

My question: Why exactly are grains bad for you. Is it the gluten?

If it is gluten, what if I went to the health food store and bought gluten free foods/grains.. would this solve the issue and allow me to eat grains?

Lastly, are there any cereals that don't have grains in them? I like to eat cereal for breakfast, especially when I'm in a hurry.

Thanks

helpmyhair1

Back to top Go down

Someone Clarify Grains for Me Empty Re: Someone Clarify Grains for Me

Post  isis Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 am

primitive civilisations ( in the switzerland mountains for example) have used whole wheat for bread etc. for hundred of years and they have been super healthy up to a very high age. Also they took a lot of raw grasfed milk and butter.

i think fresh whole wheat isn´t to bad. But bleached and processed white flour isn´t good for you...

isis

Back to top Go down

Post  isis Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:12 am

and of course it has to be organic and non-hybrid

isis

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 am

Wheat today is not grown like the ancient grains of yesterday, it's also stored for periods of time which accumulate plenty of mycotoxins. Also it is grown to yield plenty of protein which is the type that creates an autoimmune reaction the body.

The body will produce higher levels of antibodies because of this wheat.

Last, but not least, these grains raise blood sugar faster than table sugar.

This is not a complete list of reasons, but probably the main ones.

The USDA is not about the latest science, but more about food manufacture propaganda.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 am

They have buckwheat cream of wheat and organic brown rice cereal at trader joes/whole foods. Also I don't know how good oatmeal is for you, but healthyfixx said it was fine.

j87x

Back to top Go down

Post  MilBA Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:47 am

100s of years is nothing in terms of human evolution.

Here is a good article to help you understand why grains can potentially cause problems.

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/9-steps-to-perfect-health-1-dont-eat-toxins

Hope this helps.

MilBA

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Basically grains are only good for you in moderation if they are fermented and organic. That goes for most seeds and nuts as well. When this is done grains can provide tremendous nutritional support as part of a balanced diet.

j87x - Oatmeal should be fermented.

Traditions in porridge preparation

"The old Scottish preparation of sowans resembles almost precisely the ancient Russian dish called oat kissel (pronounced “kee-SYELL”)—made from whole oats, which also produced a smooth, soured gel that was understood to be easily digested and especially nourishing for children, the elderly and convalescents. This complex method of preparation was certainly a means to address all of the components in grain that have been a challenge for the human digestive anatomy.

Oats contain more phytates than almost any other grain—in fact their high phosphorus content is largely bound up in their phytates. At the same time, oats possess relatively small amounts of phytase, the enzyme needed to neutralize phytate. The usual means to reduce phytate content in wheat or rye—by soaking for eight to twelve hours in a warm, slightly acid medium—is far less effective with oats. Germination and/or fermentation are the means to best convert phytate in oats. The old, traditional harvest methods provided natural opportunities for the oats to start and stop germination after harvest in their ripening and storage out doors, when in contact with light applications of dew or rain. The scythed sheaves first stood in the fields for days or even weeks until the crop was fully harvested. The sheaves were then collected and expertly piled in large, twenty-foot tall stacks and lashed down with ropes against wind, rain and snow. Of course it would be a disaster if the oats were actually to sprout fully before they were needed, but it seems likely that natural conditions allowed for some conversion of phytates while in storage. Drying in the kiln removed excess moisture and allowed for better milling and removal of the outer hull. The “sids” that the miller returned to the Scots farmer would contain most of the phytate still present in the oat groat—as it is contained in greatest concentration in the bran. The very long souring process—a week or more on average—would give the sids the time they needed to ferment, while also converting the gluten, starches and sugars into a nearly pre-digested form.

Another common preparation of oat porridge in the Scottish kitchen included the farm wife cooking a large pot of porridge early in the week that would be poured into the drawer of the kitchen cupboard and left to cool and congeal. All week, family members would cut a slice to take with them to the fields and eat cold under its new name, calders. Certainly the calders soured pleasantly as the days went by. Slices were also fried in butter to accompany fish or eggs."

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional-diets/1605-the-good-scots-diet.html
Silverlin
Silverlin

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Excellent thread, I'd been meaning to ask about grains myself. Of late, I have noticed that grains and grain-based foods are not what my body really likes; they tend to slow me down, particularly the refined variety.

I do think oats are healthy, but my body does not like the processed variety- caused itching, water retention and acidity results. Could it be because of gluten or resulting mucous? In fact, the quick cooking one is the worst culprit, and I would strongly advise people not to go for it. My last small pack of Baggry's is still lying unfinished on the shelf after a year. I'll try to find whole oats next time and try to ferment them and see.

Another observation, semolina never fails to give me instant heartburn, just like flour pizza.

-9r5-
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 am

Milba, Silverlin, very good links in there. For ease, I'll link a youtube vid here for ease (from the first article) -

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&hd=1

Here's an older one m1234 posted a while back.
Natasha Campbell-McBride on Gut Flora and GAPS diet
http://vimeo.com/10507542

Both should not be missed, imo.

-9r5-
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  helpmyhair1 Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 am

so if i get gluten free cereals/crackers, etc.. is that okay?

helpmyhair1

Back to top Go down

Post  act<react Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:45 am

helpmyhair1 wrote:so if i get gluten free cereals/crackers, etc.. is that okay?

IMO, no, but they aren't as bad for you as the alternatives.
act<react
act<react

Back to top Go down

Post  MilBA Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 am

act
helpmyhair1 wrote:so if i get gluten free cereals/crackers, etc.. is that okay?

IMO, no, but they aren't as bad for you as the alternatives.

Agreed. Grain are filled with other harmful lectins. Modern processed grains will also cause spikes in insulin. I know it might seem drastic to cut out grains, but you may see some real benefits. Maybe drop all grains for a month and see how you feel.

Personally, I've cut out most grains in my diet. Occasionally, I'll still have a few beers or a pizza because I enjoy it.

MilBA

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:23 am

Funny you should mention grains now. I just finished watching the Documentary Fathead in which the Tom Naughton compares his fastfood forays with Spurlock's Supersize me. Tom Naughton does eats grains during his fastfood diet and he eats the worst kind of grains, the pre-processed crap that subordinates any Micky Ds sandwich, limiting the those breads and frys that come with his diner. As far as drinks, he usually had water, tea or diet something or other. But of the claims he made is that the high carb diet is causing most of our weight and health problems in the U.S. due to Govt. intervention and silly food policies championed by the CSPI. In the end, he lost weight, increased his HDL, lowered his cholesterol. One of the common sense suggestions he made was reducing your carbs by replacing the grains with vegs or fruit. DUH!

I don't personally eat grains as a rule, occasionally eating a pizza or some sourdough sandwich once a month or so. But as far as health concerns, just reducing your carbs by limiting your grains and increasing dark leafy greens is probably better for you in the long run.

Fathead on grains
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down