Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyYesterday at 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

» Difficulty Swallowing During Sleep
Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 2:57 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine

+4
Gibson
tommmash
CausticSymmetry
nidhogge
8 posters

Go down

Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine Empty Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine

Post  nidhogge Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am

Hey Fellas,

I just read the following link:

http://blog.naturallysavvy.com/2008/02/19/acne-from-iodine/

Apparently acne attacks good bacteria too, which can explain why acne is something that folks experience with Iodine from time-to-time. If you're not on a good probiotic or a diet conducive to preserving your intestinal flora, Iodine doesn't differentiate between good and bad bacteria and, akin to an antibiotic, nukes 'em all. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Next topic--topical Iodine!

I'm quite vulnerable to dust mites--if things are dusty, I get itchy. I'm guessing that the bites from the mites cause a genetic inflammation reaction. So, if Demodex are one of the leading causes of hairloss in those that are vulnerable to inflammation (most of us), and if Iodine is a strong anti-parasitic/fungal/bacterial...then it stands to reason that topical Iodine would work well to keep your scalp clean of these freaks and possibly grow hair. Topical iodine, anecdotally, has grown hair for folks as well.

I tested the Magnascent Iodine (www.puremagoil.com) on the dust mite bites first to see if the itching and swelling would subside--it did. Usually the only thing that would cause it to subside would be soap and hot water. The Iodine was at least as effective.

So, post-shower, I have been starting to apply the Iodine and it pretty much kills any itch, however slight, that I may have. Leads me to believe that Demodex mites aren't terribly fond of what I'm doing up there! Something that you guys might want to try if you have a bald spot or receded area before you go to bed. You can put it all over your head but just for an obvious 3-month trial.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine Empty Re: Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 am

nidhogge - Sounds really good. I've been "dying" to see someone try this, I'm really glad you're doing it.

Hopefully well gets some more feedback on it.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine Empty Re: Iodine vs. Good Bacteria, and Topical Iodine

Post  nidhogge Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:40 am

Hey now, I thought you were going to do it as well! Not too hard, just throw a few drops on your hairline post shower. Smile

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 am

nidhogge - I must have forgotten, okay I'll do it!
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  tommmash Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:56 am

Hi folks,
still putting Iodine on your heads?
Is the LugolĀ“s potent in this case?
tommmash
tommmash

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:49 am

nidhogge wrote:
I'm quite vulnerable to dust mites--if things are dusty, I get itchy. I'm guessing that the bites from the mites cause a genetic inflammation reaction.

Nid--Dust mite allergies are very common. Consider approaching it from the allergy angle. The allergic response is an immune response which causes inflammation. It's all around bad news. Avoiding the allergen is best. Second best is immunotherapy. With an allergist, you should be able to get a handle on the mite issue without having to resort to topical iodine, which I think won't help much because your immune system will still go into attack mode when you are exposed to mites.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Did you ever see any results with the topical iodine Nid? Also, what type were you using?
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:22 pm

I have been using topical iodine for probably 2 months now, about a month in the current way I'm using it. I am seeing changes, good ones, but it is wholly dependent on how I use it. Topical Lugol's will create a persistent healing phase in the skin if it is used consistently, which means maintaining the thick layer of hardened epithelium that will cover the area it is applied to. This hardened epithelium protects the regenerating skin beneath, and as one layer sloughs off, another will replace it. This means I have a thick Lugol's stained skin patch running the length of my hairline every day, which may be alright for me considering my hair is styled to cover my hairline completely (or hide it as it retreats from my forehead, that is), but it is something to consider for people who are further along in their hair loss than I am, or who have shorer hair.

Anyway, the changes in my skin along my hairline when the hardened skin sheds off have been nothing short of amazing. The areas that had almost no feeling at all are now gaining more and more sensitivity, and the skin that I used to be able to leave fingernail prints in that would last for many seconds now spring back much more quickly than they did before. The skin looks more healthy, too. No redness, no inflammation, just the bright pinkish hue of fresh skin full of blood.

Still too early to say anything concrete from a hair point of view, and while I may be seeing some changes there too, I feel I should wait a few months before drawing any conclusions. Hopefully I can make it a few more months wearing a hairline that looks like a giant scab.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 am

Hey Guys, I'm about to start trying topical iodine, but can't decide which to use. Funky, I know you were using Lugol's. I've been taking IOSOL internally for a little while now and prefer to stick with that because of something that was mentioned by Prague. He said something like taking potassium iodine will trick your body into thinking it has enough iodine or something. He suggested organci iodine (which I assume means sea vegetables).

Now I wonder if Ammonium Iodide, like what IOSOL is, will have any similar type of effect. I also bought World Organic "Liqui-Kelp"(clear liquid which is good for cosmetics) which is made up of some kelp, potassium iodiDe and sodium benzoate. Between the 3 of those and SSKI, I wonder what would be best. I like the idea of potassium iodide bc I would like to open up K channels topically if possible since I just recently quit minox and and starting to undergo a shed. I would think potassium iodide/iodine would help here, but I'm not sure.

What does everyone think? What's my best bet?
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 am

Exactly what I was looking for.

TheFunkyStumpfighter, Yanks, nidhogge and CS and anyone else who's tried Iodine topically.

Do you have any results/ observations to report?

Secondly,
thick layer of hardened epithelium that will cover the area it is applied to

How do you know that your epithelium is hard / thick?

Is this line of thought correct? Do we want a hard layer of epithelium or should we want a softer cleaner scalp so the hair follicles can sprout out without any trouble going through layers on the way out?
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:30 am

I know the skin is hard and thick because it is painfully visible. It's hard to explain, after a few days the skin it is applied to will turn into this dull plastic looking scab, and will shed every few days like the worst sunburn you've ever had for as long as iy is applied. Think about a strong chemical peel without the bruising done every 3 or 4 days, and this is pretty much the same effect you get from iodine.

Right now, there are places where there are fine hairs growing quite long. There are fine hairs the length of the right side of my hairline with many about the length of a short eyelash. Nothing cosmetically significant yet, but definite change. For the record, I used it for about 2.5-3 months, stopped for about a month, and have been using it again in conjunction with a DMSO/lithium topical for a bit more than 2 weeks now.

I have wondered about this iodine scab keeping new hairs from being able to pop out, but I think this is offset by the fact that the skin beneath this ever shedding iodine scab is in a persistent state of regeneration. I could be wrong, but I'm going to stick with using it the way I am until I either see results, or are forced to change strategies by a lack thereof.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:37 am

So can anyone answer to what type of iodine/iodide to use? Even in theory?? I really want to get going on this, but I'd like to have some input from others first.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:05 am

Al the more reason to lean more on the side of organic iodine sources.

Back to top Go down

Post  Quisque Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:22 am

action<reaction wrote:Al the more reason to lean more on the side of organic iodine sources.

Absolutely. When I eat kombu a really feel the difference. Also rich in Ca, Se, Iron, chlorophyll, b-complex. Decreases IGF-1, which is fine for me.

Quisque

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 am

Quisque wrote:
action<reaction wrote:Al the more reason to lean more on the side of organic iodine sources.

Absolutely. When I eat kombu a really feel the difference. Also rich in Ca, Se, Iron, chlorophyll, b-complex. Decreases IGF-1, which is fine for me.

Same. I recommend eating Kombu with Lemon water or ACV, will help absorption.
Another thing, when using high dose Lugols or Iosol I found that it really unsettled my stomach, I don't feel this with the Kombu, just tastiness.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:42 am

Iodine RDA is 0.125 mg, one 7 gram serving of Kombu is 2110% of your RDA, which comes out to being 264 mg of nice, bio-available iodine, not to mention all the other great stuff in there. Food based minerals / nutrients generally always trump the synthetic.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 am

Your math is off. You're saying x=1 when x=100, if x is iodine and the number is percentage points. The whole is equal to 100%, so theres actually 2.64 grams of iodine in one 7g serving of kombu, which really isnt all that much. About the amount you'd get from a single drop of Lugol's.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:48 am

Also, I meant 2.64mg, not grams. Hooray for no edit button!

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:58 am

2110% of 0.125 is 263.75 Mg, unless my calculator also lies to me or I have gone crazy.
Iodine RDA = 125 mcg, or 0.125 mg, multiply that by the percentage of your RDA that 7 grams of kombu has and it's definitely not 2 mg.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:02 am

Shit, nevermind. You're right.
Either way, it's a great source of Iodine.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:19 am

Numbers piss me off too. I read it and had to math it up just to make sure I wasn't missing out on a way to save cash on iodine.

In any case, you're right in saying natural beats synthetic, but in this case I don't think kombu is the way to go. If you're iodine deficient, and I think the numbers are something like 97% of the western world is deficient, it would take you ten years to become sufficient at 2.65mg a day. I have been taking 50-100mg a day for 6 months now, sometimes 200mg a day, and my basal temp is still low. Kombu is fantastic if you're sufficient and just looking to maintain healthy levels, but it takes much higher doses to get your iodine levels to get to optimal levels. The more iodine deficient you are, the less capable your body is of absorbing and utilizing it. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of 2.65mg a day was pissed out a few hours after taking it.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:50 am

All great info, and I totally agree on feeling the difference after eating some kombu, but I was talking about using TOPICAL iodine and which one would be best, in theory and experience. The organic stuff I have is pretty much clear and I'd like to try that, but I want to make sure I'm going the right route.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunkyStumpfighter Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 am

Ahh, I see. It mostly depends on what you want to do with the topical iodine. If you are just looking to cut down on inflammation and maybe fight bacteria/fungus/scalpsmurfs, clear iodine will probably be what you want to use there. If you're looking to take advantage of it's skin regeneration abilities, you'll have to go with Lugol's. The staining is what causes the skin to shed and regenerate, but as I've noted in other posts, you need to be able to maintain a persistent Lugol's "scab" for the duration of the treatment or else you won't put the skin into regeneration mode. As far as using other kinds of iodine, I can't much speak to that as I haven't used anything else.

TheFunkyStumpfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down