Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyToday at 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyYesterday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyYesterday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Iodine not always good for thyroid? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Iodine not always good for thyroid?

+5
The Hulk
lund
nidhogge
jksl
Espio
9 posters

Go down

Iodine not always good for thyroid? Empty Iodine not always good for thyroid?

Post  Espio Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 am

I've been taking selenium (200 mg) and zinc (50 mg) a day for like a month now and I think it has helped bring my body temperature up, but I have also taken a break from the Lugol's iodine. When I start taking Lugol's again, my temperature DROPS for a couple days. So I am not sure that iodine supplementation is always good for thyroid. I previously had taken 2 drops (5 mg) of Lugol's for 6 months strait and didn't see much improvement.

I've been using Dr. Rind's method of tracking thyroid improvement (http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph), which taking your temperature 3 times a day, 3 hours after waking up, 3 hours after that, and 3 hours after that. The reason why I don't use the Barnes basal temperature test in the morning is because I've read that you need to sleep atleast 5 hours strait for it to work, and I never get that long because I wake up a few times during the night to use bathroom or whatever, so I don't think it's an accurate test for me.

Anyway, my average temperature throughout the day is around 97.8, but when I would take 10 drops of Lugol's one day, the next few days my temperature goes down to 97.0 degrees.

It's possible that maybe the temperature is supposed to drop a lot when you take iodine, so that when the temperature rebounds it gets higher? I'm not sure.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Iodine not always good for thyroid? Empty Re: Iodine not always good for thyroid?

Post  jksl Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:54 am

If you have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism then iodine supplementation is definitely not a good idea.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Iodine not always good for thyroid? Empty Re: Iodine not always good for thyroid?

Post  Espio Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:00 pm

isn't that the most comment thyroid problem?

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:34 pm

or perhaps taking a large dose of iodine (25mg) is putting stress on the adrenals, maybe i should stick to a couple drops a week

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Espio--

If you're waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, this is indicative of a far greater problem. Many problems can arise from not getting good sleep, as you don't even enter REM sleep until about 4 hours in if memory serves me correct!

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:38 am

hmmm, are you thinking like diabetes or something? Time I checked my hemoglobin A1C, it was 5.5, and I believe 7 and above are diabetes level.

Actually I have been looking at Dr. Rind's chart that compares adrenal fatigue to hypothyroid, and I think I am more adrenal fatigue. It says adrenal fatigue causes poor fluid retention and insomnia (which would explain why i wake up at night a lot), low blood pressure (I almost feint sometimes when I stand up quickly after sitting), inability to gain weight (i'm very thin), etc.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:12 am

That's like my medical form - you sure you are not stating my conditions?

Espio wrote:hmmm, are you thinking like diabetes or something? Time I checked my hemoglobin A1C, it was 5.5, and I believe 7 and above are diabetes level.

Actually I have been looking at Dr. Rind's chart that compares adrenal fatigue to hypothyroid, and I think I am more adrenal fatigue. It says adrenal fatigue causes poor fluid retention and insomnia (which would explain why i wake up at night a lot), low blood pressure (I almost feint sometimes when I stand up quickly after sitting), inability to gain weight (i'm very thin), etc.

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:14 am

I do have my visit to the integrative medicine doc next week, will see what he says. I am sure we will be doing the full Thyroid panel (4-5 serum tests) and the 4x saliva/DHEA test as the first steps....

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:18 am

Waking up at night to pee (if that's what you do) is prostate my friend. If you just wake up in the middle of night (2-4am) and then do not fall asleep, then it would be cortisol jacking up at wrong time (excitatory issues) and associated chemical imbalances.

Have you tested the adrenals stress index i.e. 4x saliva cortisol levels?

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  jksl Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:23 am

Espio wrote:isn't that the most comment thyroid problem?

No, Primary hypothyroidism is the most common. Hashimoto's is a full blown autoimmune disease caused by a genetic defect. If you have Hashimoto's and took iodine, you'd fuck up your thyroid really badly. You'd just be provoking a stronger immune response against your thyroid.
jksl
jksl

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:43 am

lund wrote:Waking up at night to pee (if that's what you do) is prostate my friend. If you just wake up in the middle of night (2-4am) and then do not fall asleep, then it would be cortisol jacking up at wrong time (excitatory issues) and associated chemical imbalances.

Have you tested the adrenals stress index i.e. 4x saliva cortisol levels?

Nope I haven't tested adrenals at all. I'm trying to find a job before I can see my doctor again to get some tests done.

Actually I USUALLY fall right back to sleep after I use the restroom. But prostate problems make sense, because I always have a lot of leakage after urinating.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:44 am

jksl wrote:
Espio wrote:isn't that the most comment thyroid problem?

No, Primary hypothyroidism is the most common. Hashimoto's is a full blown autoimmune disease caused by a genetic defect. If you have Hashimoto's and took iodine, you'd fuck up your thyroid really badly. You'd just be provoking a stronger immune response against your thyroid.

Oh I think I would of had thyroid problems a lot sooner if that were the case, my TSH was 1.5 2 years ago, and it jumped to 3.8 a year ago. So it was working fine for most of my life.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:54 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but I came across this and it was addressing similar questions I currently have.

I urinate 1 time per night, but do not think it is prostate (or my last two blood tests would indicate with PSA).

I have been taking iodine for 4 or so years on a relatively consistent basis. My body temperature remains low, so I am wondering if something else is going on with my thyroid?

I am stumped...

The Hulk

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:38 am

avoid gluten

that helps

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  gorilla_power Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:23 am

Espio wrote:I've been taking selenium (200 mg) and zinc (50 mg) a day for like a month now and I think it has helped bring my body temperature up, but I have also taken a break from the Lugol's iodine. When I start taking Lugol's again, my temperature DROPS for a couple days. So I am not sure that iodine supplementation is always good for thyroid. I previously had taken 2 drops (5 mg) of Lugol's for 6 months strait and didn't see much improvement.

I've been using Dr. Rind's method of tracking thyroid improvement (http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph), which taking your temperature 3 times a day, 3 hours after waking up, 3 hours after that, and 3 hours after that. The reason why I don't use the Barnes basal temperature test in the morning is because I've read that you need to sleep atleast 5 hours strait for it to work, and I never get that long because I wake up a few times during the night to use bathroom or whatever, so I don't think it's an accurate test for me.

Anyway, my average temperature throughout the day is around 97.8, but when I would take 10 drops of Lugol's one day, the next few days my temperature goes down to 97.0 degrees.

It's possible that maybe the temperature is supposed to drop a lot when you take iodine, so that when the temperature rebounds it gets higher? I'm not sure.

Inorganic iodine cant be used by thyroid(everything that is man made and isolated is dead for the body to use)  and can get stucked up there causing problems to the thyroid function.

gorilla_power

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:43 am

Not so.

Lack of selenium with higher doses can cause problems.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:01 am

I've experimented with iosol, lugol's, and iodoral tablets in doses up to 150mg/day over the past 7-8 years. I never felt great on high doses and always felt like it was a bit of a guessing game with the co-factors. I switched to an organic source (thyroid boost/modifilan) about a year ago and feel much better.

I think high dose inorganic sources of iodine/iodide are good for initial chelation and thyroid sufficiency.

turbojet

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:09 am

turbojet wrote:I've experimented with iosol, lugol's, and iodoral tablets in doses up to 150mg/day over the past 7-8 years. I never felt great on high doses and always felt like it was a bit of a guessing game with the co-factors. I switched to an organic source (thyroid boost/modifilan) about a year ago and feel much better.

I think high dose inorganic sources of iodine/iodide are good for initial chelation and thyroid sufficiency.

Makes sense.

I've found that iodine is a bit of a wild card....I've seen it make dramatic transformations. Oddly different types seem to work best for different people. Also have seen a few train-wrecks...for not always resolute reasons, a little can be too stimulating...so always a good idea to try very smalls amounts first.

As a result of the difficult feedback...Thyroid Boost is a safe way to start (since it has co-factors and is already organified). Then for some who need larger amounts later, Iosol is sort of a "detoxified" iodine.  Then there is Lugol's, which helps others....Would try in that order to gauge effects.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:59 pm

So what is the best option for someone in my situation, where I have been consistently been consuming 7-14 drops of Iosol each day for 3-4 years? My body temps are still low. I am totally unsure on what I should do now.

Thanks

The Hulk

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:55 am

Renky,

With that amount of time on iodine you've probably reached thyroid sufficiency and hopefully displaced the halogens. Give the organic form of iodine a try and see how you fare.

I'm not a Peat disciple but I do find some of his stuff interesting and I'm considering taking a low dose of natural dessicated thyroid (WP Thyroid or Nature-Throid) to see if I can give my basal body temp a slight bump and improve hair quality.

turbojet

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks Turbojet...

I have decided to stop taking iodine altogether for the time being. I am not sure if this is right or not and I cannot find a clear answer on what to do. I am currently taking desiccated thyroid (bovine type).

My body temps are low, so what is the best for this?

Thanks

The Hulk

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:06 am

Does anyone have any more ideas on this? I am really stumped... When I look back through old posts, I see the importance on taking iodine. At the moment I have stopped it (after 4 or so years of taking Iosol at 7-14 drops per day - every day). I was taking selenium also.

My body temp is low and this is supposed to be an indicator of a problematic thyroid?

Currently I am taking desiccated liver for thyroid support. Not sure if this is a good approach or not?

The Hulk

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Do you mean dessicated thyroid? Dessicated liver is an old school body building supplement with a pretty good amino acid profile but could potentially further increase your ferritin levels and won't do much for your thyroid. If you're going to experiment with naturally dessicated thyroid (NDT) your best bet is to go through an MD/ND who can review your thyroid panel and prescribe an appropriate grain dosage. The controlled versions of NDT like WP Thyroid and Nature-Throid are definitely better than what you're going to find over the counter.

Matt Stone ("Eat for Heat") and Peat/Roddy both cover raising body temp through improved metabolic function. Make sure you're eating enough calories and saturated fats. Cutting out wheat/gluten from your diet for a few months could make a difference.

turbojet

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hulk Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks Turbo Jet.

The stuff I am taking is raw thyroid by Natural Sources.

I am at a real cross-roads on whether or not to stop the iodine...

The Hulk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down