Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Best supps for anxiety and depression EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Best supps for anxiety and depression

+6
wildhair
Amaranthaceae
lund
Paradox
CausticSymmetry
hadrion
10 posters

Go down

Best supps for anxiety and depression Empty Best supps for anxiety and depression

Post  hadrion Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:22 am

IH,

My sister was recently diagnosed with this. She would have panic attacks that included chest pains/numbness, etc. They checked out her out and told her she is suffering from anxiety and depression.

What would be the best course of supplements to help support her through this. Maybe stuff that can help deal with the physical manifestations of her panic attacks while she's working on the psychological?

I know you had mentioned Lithium Orotate and I still have that from when I was making the topical? Would/could that help? Any idea on dosage?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Best supps for anxiety and depression Empty Re: Best supps for anxiety and depression

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 am

hadrion - For acute anxiety, 750 mg of GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is very useful.

This product has a nice combo of items for anxiety:

http://www.iherb.com/MRM-Relax-All-with-Phenibut-60-Capsules/4842?at=0

Lithium orotate may help a little too. I noticed that Doctor's best now offers an inexpensive version of their own.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Best supps for anxiety and depression Empty Re: Best supps for anxiety and depression

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:25 am

hadrion - For general support, if she were to take high dose vitamin D, fish oil, and magnesium, her anxiety will probably vanish in a few months.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:27 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:hadrion - For general support, if she were to take high dose vitamin D, fish oil, and magnesium, her anxiety will probably vanish in a few months.

I agree completely. My anxiety has lessened greatly with this plus iodine

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:32 am

Hadrion,

This stuff is good: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-True-Calm-90-Capsules/841?at=0

Many things are useful:

*magnesium
*vitamin C
*ashwagandha
*l-theanine
*lithium orotate
*TMG
*vitamin d
*kava kava
*sam-e
*phosphatidylserine
*b6
*taurine
*chamomile
*licorice
*passionflower
*rhodiola
*omega-3's

The list is long!

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 am

I forgot tryptophan or 5-htp

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks so much for this guys. She has 3 kids and her husband lost his job and she started complaining of chest pains and numbness in the left side of her face (cheek area). She's been checked out thoroughly and they diagnosed it as anxiety/depression/panic attacks, so I want to try to get her on the right supplements to support her internally since she has clearly some work to do to get through this.

The physical manifestations of the panic attacks have to be dealt with since they mimc other emergency health issues.

What a mess.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:07 am

hadrion wrote:Thanks so much for this guys. She has 3 kids and her husband lost his job and she started complaining of chest pains and numbness in the left side of her face (cheek area). She's been checked out thoroughly and they diagnosed it as anxiety/depression/panic attacks, so I want to try to get her on the right supplements to support her internally since she has clearly some work to do to get through this.

The physical manifestations of the panic attacks have to be dealt with since they mimc other emergency health issues.

What a mess.

Hadrion,

Whatever you do man, please do not let them give her a benzodiazepine! Those are the drugs like valium, xanax, klonopin, etc. They are absolute poison and can ruin your life! They hand them out like candy to people with stress or anxiety. They are extremely addicting and harder to come off than heroin. You can actually die if you stop cold turkey. Just want to make sure no-one else false prey to them unexpectedly. Thanks

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:38 am

Paradox,

They gave her Xanax. She started taking it earlier this week.

Thank God my Mom took the advice I got for her in this forum and got off prescription cholesterol drugs and saw a huge improvement. Because of that, she told my sister to talk to me about this because the prescription stuff they hand of for her issue is deadly.

It obviously got through to her for her to tell me about this and see what I could find out. Luckily, most of the supplements you guys mentioned I already have in my arsenal so I can give them to her to get started on.

That product you linked to on iherb looks interesting and I'm going to order her some of that.

I really had no idea that panic attacks could really mimic heart attack/stroke symptoms.

It just gets back to my theory that a lot of health issues are brought on by stress and psychological issues we go through.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Hadrion,

Damn, I knew they would be handing benzos out to her. Fortunately it isn't too late, but you absolutely need to get her off the benzodiazepines as soon as possible!

This is what someone in cold turkey benzo withdrawal looks like 4 MONTHS after stopping the drug. Have her watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDbPnAQ-c1o[/url]

Here is a great video about Xanax addiction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEIg1as2ppc&feature=fvw

They will seriously ruin her life, and I am not overstating that. I am not really against all forms of psychotropic medications, but the benzodiazepines are the single worst class of drugs I have ever come across in my life. Much worse than opiate addiction. When you discontinue the drugs, you experience what can only be described as hell! Sometimes the damage is irreversible. You owe it to her to pass on this info. I wouldn't wish these drugs on my worst enemy. Please read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

There is an entire community of people who have had their life's destroyed: http://benzowithdrawal.com/forum/index.php and
http://www.benzobuddies.org/#benzodiazepine-withdrawal-support

Here is a great book on benzo withdrawal (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEMsZ_8Fvk[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDbPnAQ-c1o

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Plain GABA may not cross BBB - you can try for yourself, it did nothing for me. I tried the PharmaGABA which apparently is the fermented version - that does a little bit, but you need to take quite a few for it to have any effect.

Interestingly from Russia comes a product called "Picamilon" - it is GABA bound to Niacin and passes thru BBB like NSA agents in a security line. Try that, it is the best I understand. Both Niacin and GABA are good for anxiety...abd Picamilon has the correct form in it.

Valerian & Taurine helps too. It the HPT axis is messed up, it could be cortisol/adrenaline related in which case herbs/supps to calm down the HPT axis would help - Holy Basil and PS comes to mind there.

Generally you should try to figure out what is the underlying cause of anxiety for a long term solution. Could it be diet, stress, toxins - why is the excitatory pathway taking over the brain? Could there be glutamate or MSG related trigger?

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Oh BTW the previous post was just for anxiety - for depression you should look into balancing neurotransmitters by perhaps supporting methylation: Sam-e, p5p, active B12, active Folate. This is where master neurotransmitters are created so helping the methylation cycle can bring them back to normalcy.

You may want to consider neuroscience neurotransmitter testing via urine to figure out which area to look into - in the absence of such info, supporting methylation is perhaps prudent.

Gut+Liver+Adrenals+Thyroid are the key organs somehow look into taking care of these organs - generally the rest of the health should self correct. For anxiety/depression perhaps Liver is the most important place to look into for general long term support...

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:54 pm

lund wrote:Oh BTW the previous post was just for anxiety - for depression you should look into balancing neurotransmitters by perhaps supporting methylation: Sam-e, p5p, active B12, active Folate. This is where master neurotransmitters are created so helping the methylation cycle can bring them back to normalcy.

You may want to consider neuroscience neurotransmitter testing via urine to figure out which area to look into - in the absence of such info, supporting methylation is perhaps prudent.

Gut+Liver+Adrenals+Thyroid are the key organs somehow look into taking care of these organs - generally the rest of the health should self correct. For anxiety/depression perhaps Liver is the most important place to look into for general long term support...

Awesome post Lund! That is seriously the most helpful post I have seen in a while, and I agree completely. I would suggest adrenal cortisol levels be checked via 24 hour saliva testing to rule out adrenal fatigue. Like you said, if adrenal fatigue is an issue then certain herbs and supplements will help. The methylation part is often missed as well, so I'm glad you brought it up. Unfortunately that one requires testing as well to determine if one is an under/over-methylator. Some supplements like folate are good if you are an overmethylator, and detrimental if you are an undermethylator. Undermethylators on the other hand respond well to SAM-e. I just wanted to clarify that all those things may not necessarily be taken together depending on one's methylation.

Another thing that can cause anxiety is sex hormone balance- estrogen/test ratio in both men and women. Supplements for this would be specific as well.

Then there is thyroid which requires testing. Bottom line is get lab work done I guess.

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 am

For sexual related anxiety, stress or neurosis, damiana is King .. or Queen if you like.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:41 am

Does anyone have any good ways to support liver?

Back to top Go down

Post  wildhair Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:47 am

North-Europe wrote:For sexual related anxiety, stress or neurosis, damiana is King .. or Queen if you like.

Do you ever smoke it?

wildhair

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:47 pm

CS, you mentioned earlier;

"vitamin D, fish oil, and magnesium"

Would help cure anxiety in a few months, to what dosages, roughly, would you suggest of these? Is standard supermarkets fish oil and magnesium (magnesium oxide I think) good enough?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  NrwgnKID Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:18 pm

No supplement can replace the importance of exercise I truly believe. Cardio and resistance training. Its commonly "prescribed" for psychiatric pasients.

NrwgnKID

Back to top Go down

Post  empty Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:34 am

Paradox wrote:
lund wrote:Oh BTW the previous post was just for anxiety - for depression you should look into balancing neurotransmitters by perhaps supporting methylation: Sam-e, p5p, active B12, active Folate. This is where master neurotransmitters are created so helping the methylation cycle can bring them back to normalcy.

Awesome post Lund! That is seriously the most helpful post I have seen in a while, and I agree completely. I would suggest adrenal cortisol levels be checked via 24 hour saliva testing to rule out adrenal fatigue. Like you said, if adrenal fatigue is an issue then certain herbs and supplements will help. The methylation part is often missed as well, so I'm glad you brought it up. Unfortunately that one requires testing as well to determine if one is an under/over-methylator. Some supplements like folate are good if you are an overmethylator, and detrimental if you are an undermethylator. Undermethylators on the other hand respond well to SAM-e. I just wanted to clarify that all those things may not necessarily be taken together depending on one's methylation.

Another thing that can cause anxiety is sex hormone balance- estrogen/test ratio in both men and women. Supplements for this would be specific as well.

Then there is thyroid which requires testing. Bottom line is get lab work done I guess.

Just FYI, theories explaining mental illness with an imbalance in biochemical processes are not supported by evidence (Valenstein 1998; US Department of Health and Human Services, 1999; Glenmullen 2000).

From Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic:
Yet a societal belief in chemical imbalances has remained (for reasons that will be explored later), and it has led those who have investigated and written about this history to emphasize, time and again, the same bottom-line conclusion: "The evidence does not support any of the biochemical theories of mental illness," concluded Elliott Valenstein, a professor of neuroscience at the University of Michigan, in his 1998 book Blaming the Brain. Even U.S. surgeon general David Satcher, in his 1999 report Mental Health, confessed that "the precise causes [etiologies] of mental disorders are not known." In Prozac Backlash, Joseph Glenmullen, an instructor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, noted that "in every instance where such an imbalance was thought to be found, it was later proved to be false." Finally, in 2005, Kenneth Kendler, coeditor in chief of Psychological Medicine, penned an admirably succinct epitaph for this whole story: "We have hunted for big simple neurochemical explanations for psychiatric disorders and have not found them."

Thus, alternative and mainstream psychiatric medicines do not work to fix any neurochemical "imbalance," as none exists. The theory is baseless. Of course, it does not mean that these methods have no effect upon the brain. Psychiatric medicines create abnormalities in the brain's synapses which lessen symptoms of various illnesses - for a time. And, again, all of this is not to say that neither alternative nor psychiatric medicines do not work. They just may not do you any good in the long term.

Benzodiazepines reportedly work well in the short term, but do little for symptoms in the long term. They probably even aggravate them. In brief, benzodiazepines (let's shorten it to BZP) affect the function of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA works in an opposite manner to dopamine and serotonin, which are excitatory in nature; GABA is inhibitory. BZP binds to GABA and "amplifies GABA's inhibitory effects." (Whitaker) The first week or so of BZP treatment shows good results for lessening the symptoms of anxiety, however, just like in the case of neuroleptic drugs such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), the brain is pretty good at adapting to an alteration of neurotransmitter function through compensation. In the case of GABA, output of the neurotransmitter is reduced and, perhaps concomitantly, the density of GABA receptors decreases. This is the likely explanation for the absolute mess that occurs after someone goes off benzodiazepines. BZPs puts the accelerator on the whole GABA system and the brain compensates by lessening its presence in the brain. When that BZP accelerator is gone (going off the drug), the GABA system has been effectively impaired, leading to an impairment of the brain's ability to inhibit neuronal activity.

What to do?
1. I'd avoid BZPs because a. the underlying theory for these drugs has little support in evidence and a. the long-term effects of BZPs may completely break the GABA system in a way that the brain cannot return to normal.

[Disclaimer to the above: your sister appears to be suffering from acute and severe attacks of anxiety. You must understand that whoever prescribed BZPs wanted to provide quick relief to her symptoms. If the symptoms were debilitating, i.e. led to a total cease of everyday functioning, it's hard to fault this prescription. Just be aware of the long-term problems that may occur.]

2. In a similar fashion, I'd avoid alternative methods that purportedly target "neurochemical imbalance" as the underlying theory has no basis. If these methods are just generally good for your health, that's a different story (try to pick apart their claims vs. what the methods actually do)

3. NrwgnKID suggested regular exercise. I agree, however it may be very difficult for your sister to do this given her situation. You need to stress the importance of exercise in general mental and physical health. See if you can go on runs or walks with her daily. She may need help with this.

4. Have her go to a psychologist that specializes in anxiety/depression and have her tell the psychologist that she wants therapy and not drugs. She needs to target the underlying causes of her anxiety and depression that she has an effect on. The psychologist will help her with this. Make sure that, if she doesn't like the psychologist in any way, she goes to a different one. Creating a solid bond here is important.

Your sister needs more than just supplements and medicine. She needs support as well. A therapist can help her with this, and you know what else? You can help her with this too. Make sure she's aware that she's not alone.

empty

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 am

I was going to order some d-biotin, magnesium and brewers yeast, the brands that IH uses in his regimen. I saw these were some part of an "adrenal repair" guide on a website, hoping to calm my anxiety as well.

Would some of the products mentioned in this thread, such as MRM or True Calm be better?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:06 am

Rhodiola seems popular on Earth Clinic for curing anxiety. Does anyone know if affects cortisol at all? As I haven't had my cortisol tested yet I don't want to lower or higher it in the wrong direction, but need to take a supp to help anxiety soon.

Ashwagandha on CS' regimen seems like it could be used to help anxiety. Does anyone have any experience with either of these in regards to curing anxiety?

Also planning on getting ACV, magnesium and brewers yeast.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Quisque Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 am

Not 100% sure but in your age and on this forum you probably have high cortisol level. I am in your age group (17) I have cortisol level elevated.

I have been using ashwagandha for 3 months or so and I like it, although it won't fully solve problem. It's important to choose good brand, I was using this herb from my local pharma and it was the way better than Swanson's one I am using currently. Also highly recommend holy basil, magnesium (chloride), vit C. Rhodiola seems also very good, but no personal experience yet. Next week I am gonna start my driving lessons so i will probabbly need another big order of these stuffs :-D

Quisque

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:30 am

Hey Quisque, cheers for the reply.

Yeah, I guessed I had high cortisol, but don't want to lower it, just incase I have low cortisol or something. Have you had your cortisol tested?

I'm planning to buy the mixed forms magnesium and the ashwagandha, both the sorts on IH's Ancillary section of regimen, so I reckon they're good quality.

Haha, yeah I'm having driving lessons at the moment, I know how you feel. Smile

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:06 am

Are ashwaghanda and rhodiola adaptogens? Does that mean they help balance rather than lower or higher specifically, like licorice and holy basil?

Out of ashwaghanda, rhodiola and holy basil which is more effective?

Do I need to "cycle" all three (when taken individually)

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down