Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyYesterday at 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off?

3 posters

Go down

I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? Empty I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off?

Post  jasonshadow Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:28 pm

Hello everyone,

IH, you have some very interesting information on the Adrenal and the Thyroid. I am currently being treated for hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue. I currently take 2 grains of Armour and 15mg of Cortef in the AM and 10mg of Cortef in the PM. I also take Lugols Iodine tablet in the AM. My question is with the adrenal supps you recommend, how would one make the switch over from the meds to the supps? My doctor told me if I want to wean off the Cortef I should reduce the dose by 5mg per week. Should I overlap the supplements with the Cortef as I am tapering down?

Also I read on another thread that you recommended only 1000mg of L-Carnatine for someone who was on Armour thyroid. Are there any other changes to you reg. that I should be aware of for someone with my adrenal and thyroid condition?

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? Empty Re: I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off?

Post  jasonshadow Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:48 pm

I forgot to ask 1 more questions:

I am also hypoglycemic and usually eat every 3 hours. How does the Lipoic Acid play a part? You say ration the Lip. Acid but what are the pros and cons. Should one with hypoglycemia just omit this supplement?

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off? Empty Re: I take Cortisol for adrenal fatigue..how do I come off?

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:13 pm

jasonshadow - Lipoic acid is actually terrific for hypoglycemics, however the form I recommend for everyone else bio-enhanced R-Lipoic acid is too strong for most hypoglycemics. In this case, the "regular" kind will work, which is alpha lipoic acid.

There's no problem taking the supplements with the Cortef, like Standard Process for example.

Hopefully in time the iodine will require less Armour.

Other than the Lipoic acid factor, there's no other changes.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonshadow Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Well I want to get off the Cortef b/c it essentially supresses my own production of Cortisol. So my thought was too taper off Cortef while starting the Adrenal supporting supplements. Do you have any expierence with this?

What about the Carnatine and thyroid. I read somewhere on the site that you recommended someone who takes Armour to only take 1000mg of Carnatine. Is this correct? If so why?

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonshadow Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:11 am

You mentioned taking Acetyl L-Carnitine to reduce stress and output of Cortisol. Does Acetyl L-Carnitine reduce stress signals or actually reduce Cortisol?

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:03 am

jasonshadow - I recommend Acetyl L-Carnitine over regular L-Carnitine. The reason is that it penetrates the blood-brain barrier and acts as an antioxidant to the brain. It can also reduce cortisol levels.

Using a 1,000 mg of ALC instead of the 3,000 mg I normally recommend is safer just in case thyroid levels are negatively affected.

Studies show that about 4 grams of Carnitines can lower thyroid function. I'm of the opinion that it balances the thyroid high or low, so the lower amount is only a precaution.

As far as tapering off cortef, as long as you're being monitored should be okay. The Standard Process products are for temporary use, so they can act as a jump start and recovery.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonshadow Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 pm

I recommend Acetyl L-Carnitine over regular L-Carnitine. The reason is that it penetrates the blood-brain barrier and acts as an antioxidant to the brain. It can also reduce cortisol levels.

Using a 1,000 mg of ALC instead of the 3,000 mg I normally recommend is safer just in case thyroid levels are negatively affected.

Studies show that about 4 grams of Carnitines can lower thyroid function. I'm of the opinion that it balances the thyroid high or low, so the lower amount is only a precaution.

As far as tapering off cortef, as long as you're being monitored should be okay. The Standard Process products are for temporary use, so they can act as a jump start and recovery.

Well since my Cortisol levels are low to begin with and as you said L-Carnitine loweres Cortisol it doesn't make much sense for to take this one. Would you agree?

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm

jasonshadow - ALC is "smart enough" not to lower cortisol in such a situation. Think of ALC as supplying the raw material to allow the body to cope to help reduce cortisol if needed.

One herb that is very helpful for low cortisol is licorice. It contains substances that inhibit the breakdown of cortisol and serve as an anti-inflammatory.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonshadow Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:14 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:jasonshadow - Lipoic acid is actually terrific for hypoglycemics, however the form I recommend for everyone else bio-enhanced R-Lipoic acid is too strong for most hypoglycemics. In this case, the "regular" kind will work, which is alpha lipoic acid.

There's no problem taking the supplements with the Cortef, like Standard Process for example.

Hopefully in time the iodine will require less Armour.

Other than the Lipoic acid factor, there's no other changes.

IM,

Just a few follow-up questions:

Based on our previous discussions you recommend only dose of 1000mg of Acetyl L-Carnitine and regular ALA.

1. My question is does the timing matter?
2. Should I just use 500mg (1000mg total) for the first 2 meals?
3. Why ALA per meal?
4. Why does Biotin get used if ALA is used?

Thanks,
J

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:20 pm

jasonshadow - ALC is synergistic with Lipoic acid. The best time to take these is right before eating, anywhere from 15 minutes to right before the meal. This also applies to the other supplements, since it acts as a buffer to glucose disposal end products and metabolism.

Biotin gets used up by Lipoic acid, so additional biotin is necessary to prevent a short of this. Taking extra biotin is good for the hair, plus it is helpful to have extra biotin due to it's impact on glucose.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonshadow Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:11 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:jasonshadow - ALC is synergistic with Lipoic acid. The best time to take these is right before eating, anywhere from 15 minutes to right before the meal. This also applies to the other supplements, since it acts as a buffer to glucose disposal end products and metabolism.

Biotin gets used up by Lipoic acid, so additional biotin is necessary to prevent a short of this. Taking extra biotin is good for the hair, plus it is helpful to have extra biotin due to it's impact on glucose.

Maybe I didnt ask my question correctly. Because you said based on my medical history I should only take 1000mg of ALC and take only regular Lipoic Acid. Now because ALC comes in 500mg I figured I could split the 1000mg into 2 meals. Unless you think I should cut the Lipoic Acid 500mg in half to give me 4 doses. My other delima is I usually eat 6 meals a day. Am I supposed to take the ALC and Lipoic Acid before all 6 meals? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything exactly correctly and to my fullest potential.

jasonshadow

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:54 pm

jasonshadow - With that many meals per day, you'll want to limit the supplements to the two or three largest of the six.

A 1,000 mg of ALC is only on the side of caution, as 3,000 mg is fine for just about everybody.

I would suggest using 1,000 one time if you keep it at a 1,000 mg.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fredounet Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 am

Hello,

I would like to wean off cortef, I'm actually taking 20mg the morning (I have a lack of cortisol in the morning showed by the saliva test), because I would like a more natural way to heal my adrenal. I bought some teincture for the adrenal (with licorice, herbs and other good thing to support the adrenal, here http://www.herbaffair.com/Adrenal-Herbal-Tincture-p/t1300.htm). My idea is to go slowly and to cut the dose by two, i.e 10mg and take the teincture one hour later, for the first week. Then to cut the dose by two 5mg for week two etc. And finally to only take the teincture.

What do you think?

fredounet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down