Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Ursolic Acid Discussion EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Ursolic Acid Discussion

3 posters

Go down

Ursolic Acid Discussion Empty Ursolic Acid Discussion

Post  lutz Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:20 am

I'm going to be starting an n1 experiment with an Ursolic Acid topical on the scalp. I've got some slow recession and diffuse thinning which is a little heavier in the traditional mpb areas.

The substance seems to have quite a bit of promise and is gaining a reputation for potentiating neovascularization in the weight training world. Maybe it will increase bloodflow to my scalp? It is also anecdotally viewed as a topical that will "dry out" or tighten up skin elsewhere on the body. I.E. make your muscles look more cut. So on one had it would seem to increase blood supply but perhaps also tighten the galea. I thought I would see what the members of this board might have to offer.

Below is a little write up a found at a chinese bulk supplier. It has some interesting info and what looks like journal articles cited, however there is no source list to be found.

Uses:

1. Pharmacological Action:

Medicinal plants containing ursolic acid have been used in folk medicine before it was known which constituents were responsible for their therapeutic effectiveness. Contemporary scientific research which led to the isolation and identification of ursolic acid revealed and confirmed that several pharmacological effects, such as, anti-tumor, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory (oral and topical), anti-ulcer, antimicrobial, anti-hyperlipidemic and antiviral, can be attributed to ursolic acid1.

However, its anti-inflammatory (topical), anti-tumor (skin cancer), and antimicrobial properties are pertinent to the cosmetic industry.

2. Anti-aging agent:

Ursolic acid treatment improves the health of skin and hair. Ursolic acid and its derivatives form oil-resistant barriers on the skin and hair as they do in the waxy coating of fruits6. Ursolic acid has been used to treat photoaged skin because it prevents and improves the appearance of wrinkles and age spots by restoring the skin's collagen bundle structures and its elasticity31. Concentrations of ursolic acid ranging from 0.01 to 50 mg have been reported for inclusion in skin treatment preparations 32-33.

3. Hair growth stimulant:

Ursolic acid and its isomer, oleanolic acid, have been used in to nics to enhance hair growth and prevent scalp irritation26,27. Both triterpenoid compounds encourage hair growth by stimulating the peripheral blood flow in the scalp and activating the hair mother cells. They also furnish alopecia-preventing and dandruff-preventing effects27.

4. Antimicrobial activity:

β ursolic acid (triterpenoid sapogenin from the ursan group) inhibited the growth of several strains of staphylococci28. Numerous ursolic acid containing plants from the Lamiaceae family exhibited antibacterial/ fungal activity29. The minimal inhibitory concentration of Rosmarinus officinalis, Origanum majorana, and Lavandula officinalis were 500, 250, and 500 mg/cm3, respectively29. Ursolic acid also inhibited the growth of Microsporium lenosum and Candida albicans at 250 mg/mL30.

5. Anti-inflammatory activity:

Ursolic acid is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. Thus, it has been recommended for use in burn ointments4. It not only inhibits human leucocyte elastase(HLE), but also 5-lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase activity21, 22. Ursolic acid (1.0 mg/ear) inhibited TPA-induced mouse ear edema by 72.4%23. Hirota and coworkers24 determined that 200 mg and 50 mg applications of ursolic acid inhibited 12-O-hexadecanoyl-16-hydroxyphorbol-13-acetate (HPPA) - induced inflammation by 49% and 33%, respectively. In addition, it inhibited concanavalin A (Con A) induced histamine release, which can cause severe inflammation, by 95% at a concentration of 0.001 M25.

6. Inhibition of tumor promotion in skin:

Ursolic acid (UA) and oleanolic acid (OA), isolated from Glechoma hederacea, inhibited Epstein-Barr virus activation induced by 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol 13-acetate (TPA) in mouse skin. The inhibitory effects were evaluated for 20 weeks. Continuous application of UA and OA (41 nmol of each) before TPA-treatment (4.1 nmol) delayed the formation of papillomas in mouse skin and reduced the rate (%) of papilloma bearing mice. Both UA and OA exhibited remarkable inhibitory activity against tumor promotion, which is comparable to the known tumor inhibitor, retinoic acid (RA). Compared to either RA or OA, ursolic acid inhibited tumor more effectively after a single application before initial TPA-treatment as shown in Figure 1. This suggests that the role of tumor inhibition by UA differs from that of either RA or OA. It is suggested that pretreatment of skin with UA may inhibit the first dramatic cellular event in tumor promotion caused by TPA17.

Topical application of ursolic acid derived from rosemary extract inhibited TPA-induced tumor initiation and promotion, inflammation, and ornithine decarboxylase activity in mouse skin. Ursolic acid exhibited strong anti-inflammatory activity. It is even more active than of 1 or 2 mmol of ursolic acid along with 5 nmol of TPA for TPA for 20 weeks inhibited the formation of skin tumors per mouse by 45 or 61% respectively.

Lower doses (0.1 or 0.3 mmol) of ursolic acid had a similar inhibitory effect as the higher doses. Twice weekly topical application of 0.1, 0.3, 1, or 2 mmol of ursolic acid along with 5 nmol TPA for 8,12, and 18 weeks reduced the number of skin tumors per mouse by 52-86%, 49-63%, and 44-61%, respectively18.

image3.gif (37536 bytes)
Each point represents the mean + SE from 30 mice pper group.
* means statistically different from TPA control group (p<0.05)

Ursolic acid and its isomer, oleanolic acid have been recommended for skin cancer therapy in Japan19. Topical cosmetic preparations containing ursolic acid/ oleanolic acid have been patented in Japan for the prevention of topical skin cancer20. An ursolic acid/ oleanolic acid ointment inhibited 7,12-dimethylbenz [a] anthracene (DMBA)-induced skin cancer in mice. Reportedly, 0% and 3% of mice developed cancer in 15 weeks and 30 weeks, respectively compared to 50% and 90% for the control mice20.

Botanical Sources:

Like most triterpenoids, ursolic acid is ubiquitous in the plant kingdom5. Ursolic acid and its derivatives are constituents of numerous plants which are having diversified phylogenetic origin and taxonomic position. It has been isolated from the protective wax-like coatings of apples, pears, cranberries, prunes, and other fruits6. Seaweed’s are rich in ursolic acid derivatives6. Some of the more commonly known medicinal plants containing ursolic acid are shown in Table 16,7.

Last edited by lutz on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarify usage)

lutz

Back to top Go down

Ursolic Acid Discussion Empty Re: Ursolic Acid Discussion

Post  bornthisway Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Ursolic acid reduces prostate size and dihydrotestosterone level in a rat model of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Shin IS, Lee MY, Jung DY, Seo CS, Ha HK, Shin HK.
SourceHerbal Medicine EBM Research Center, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Exporo 483, Yusung-gu, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea.

Abstract
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is characterized by hyperplasia of prostatic stromal and epithelial cells, which can lead to lower urinary tract symptoms. The prevalence of BPH increases in an age-dependent manner. We investigated the protective effect of ursolic acid in BPH development using a testosterone-induced BPH rat model. BPH was induced in experimental groups by daily subcutaneous injections of testosterone propionate (TP), for a period of four weeks. Ursolic acid was administrated daily by oral gavage at a dose level of 5mg/kg during the four weeks of TP injections. Animals were sacrificed on the scheduled termination, before prostates were weighed and subjected to histopathological examination. TP and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels in the serum and prostate were also measured. BPH-induced animals displayed an increase in prostate weight with increased testosterone and DHT levels in both the serum and prostate. However, ursolic acid treatment resulted in significant reductions in prostate weight and testosterone and DHT levels in both the serum and prostate, compared with BPH-induced animals. Histopathological examination also showed that ursolic acid treatment suppressed TP-induced prostatic hyperplasia. These findings indicate that ursolic acid may effectively inhibit the development of BPH and it may be a useful agent in BPH treatment.

bornthisway

Back to top Go down

Post  bornthisway Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:39 pm

How's your experiment going?

bornthisway

Back to top Go down

Post  lutz Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks for the link to that study.

I postponed my experiment because just a short while before my Ursolic Acid topical arrived I began using garlic and oregano oil which seemed to be fighting pathogens/bacteria and calming inflammation pretty well. I didn't want to muddy the results of the experiment and wrongfully attribute the continuation of this effect or any other results to the UA.

I'll bump this post with before pics when I'm ready to get started and hopefully in a few months time I'll have some solid after pics for your viewing pleasure.

Until then, any additional information, studies, articles or thoughts relating to ursolic acid would be much appreciated by myself and likely many others.

lutz

Back to top Go down

Post  RisingFist Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 am

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0039332

Ursolic Acid Increases Skeletal Muscle and Brown Fat and Decreases Diet-Induced Obesity, Glucose Intolerance and Fatty Liver Disease

RisingFist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down