Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!)

4 posters

Go down

Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) Empty Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!)

Post  Hoppipolla Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:07 am

Hey hey dudes Smile

Just wanted to network with other low starch...ers, and have a chat about how we do it, what we do eat, etc!

I for one believe in sugar but not starch, and currently view most ripe fruit, sugary dairy like ice cream, and honey to be some of the places I can "get my sugar"!

What about other low starchers? How do you do it?

I wanted to start this thread as although high sugar, low starch diets can be blissful, they can also be quite difficult particularly in countries like England where fruit is expensive and often unripe on the shelves.

So yeah erm... let's mingle!

Cheers,

Hoppi!
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) Empty Re: Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!)

Post  Yanks Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 am

plus 1, but not sold on sugar either at this point
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!) Empty Re: Low starch dieters (make yourselves known!)

Post  Hoppipolla Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 am

Yanks wrote:plus 1, but not sold on sugar either at this point

ah, you burn fat? or? Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Hoppi I think it's more complicated than that. The body has metabolic pathways which perform interconversion between fats, sugars, and proteins. For example, sugars are converted into palmitic acid in the liver.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:10 am

imprisoned-radical wrote:

Hoppi I think it's more complicated than that. The body has metabolic pathways which perform interconversion between fats, sugars, and proteins. For example, sugars are converted into palmitic acid in the liver.

but don't cells burn glucose?

EDIT -- On another note, you know in the last year I have tried intense starch diets (no sugar at all or incredibly little) and the inverse (high sugar, incredibly low starch). And I've personally found that the former gives me lots of bloating and gas, and the latter - as long as I don't go totally overboard on something like dates - makes me pretty much gas-free! It's odd I know, as we all get told that sugar feeds the bacteria and candida and parasites, but in my experience it seems to be starch that is the culprit, as it sits in the intestines.

Thanks abc123 for waking me up to this!!! Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Agreed. I believe the virtue of the paleo diet (high protein, high fat) is that instead of feeding your body sugar, whether it be complex or simple, is your body relies on gluconeogenesis to convert whatever dietary protein you're eating to glucose. If the protein isn't sufficient, you'll catabolize muscle tissue preferentially. Its a survival mechanism. And its great for burning excess fat, but if you aren't taking in enough protein you'll lose muscle. I think its a good tactic to use intermittently, but not long term. Ori Hoffmekler has a ton of material about it.

But its not simply a matter of, if you don't eat sugar or starch, you're just burning fat. Your body will make glucose from your tissues if you don't give it some. I'm still confused about ketosis, however. A popular nutrition book I just read said that ketosis only occurs during starvation situations and scenarios of almost zero carb intake, but I've seen some "low" carbers ketostix and apparently you can become ketotic just through enough carb restriction. What I'm confused about is where the overlap of gluconeogenesis and ketosis lies.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 pm

anthonyspencer54 wrote:

Agreed. I believe the virtue of the paleo diet (high protein, high fat) is that instead of feeding your body sugar, whether it be complex or simple, is your body relies on gluconeogenesis to convert whatever dietary protein you're eating to glucose. If the protein isn't sufficient, you'll catabolize muscle tissue preferentially. Its a survival mechanism. And its great for burning excess fat, but if you aren't taking in enough protein you'll lose muscle. I think its a good tactic to use intermittently, but not long term. Ori Hoffmekler has a ton of material about it.

But its not simply a matter of, if you don't eat sugar or starch, you're just burning fat. Your body will make glucose from your tissues if you don't give it some. I'm still confused about ketosis, however. A popular nutrition book I just read said that ketosis only occurs during starvation situations and scenarios of almost zero carb intake, but I've seen some "low" carbers ketostix and apparently you can become ketotic just through enough carb restriction. What I'm confused about is where the overlap of gluconeogenesis and ketosis lies.

so... does that mean one should consume more protein or less sugar?

I find if I don't consume a fair amount of carbohydrate every day (be that from fruit or another sugary source, or rice or another starchy source), I crave it like mad and will crack after about 2 or 3 days and binge on the most carb-heavy thing I can find! lol

I tried it one time and ended up eating my way through about 2/3rds of a block of creamed coconut probably just to get at the carbs as it was the only food I had with carbs in it!!

Opinions on the carbs:protein:fat (vague) optimal ratio? Smile

EDIT -- actually now that I think about it it actually does make sense - people on high sugar and low protein diets do end up quite skinny. I guess the body needs stuff to burn using all the energy given to it by the sugar o.O
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down