Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population

+3
crincrin
imprisoned-radical
CausticSymmetry
7 posters

Go down

Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population Empty Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:39 am

I disagree with the authors hypothesis however, what police officers do have in common (other than sun exposure) is increased use of stress hormones.

Arch Dermatol Res. 2011 Sep 17.
Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population (KCIS no. 23).
Su LH, Chen HH.

Department of Dermatology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei County, Taiwan.

Prevalence and risk factors of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) in policemen are not known. This study aimed to compare the prevalence and risk factors of AGA between policemen and the general population. A cross-sectional survey was conducted by recruiting a total of 758 (78%) of 972 policemen and 740 (80%) of 924 participants in a community-based integrated screening served as a comparison group. The Norwood classification system was used to assess the degree of hair loss. Information on age, family history of androgenetic alopecia, and other possible risk factors was collected with questionnaire interviews. The association analysis between policemen and the general population was limited to participants aged 40-59 years. After controlling for other significant factors, policemen aged 40-59 years had an increased risk of developing AGA compared with the general population (OR = 2.23, 95% CI 1.14, 4.36, p = 0.02). Obesity measured by waist circumference and body mass index made contribution to higher risk for AGA in younger policemen (20-39 years). A statistically significant association was noted between AGA and sunlight exposure in policemen aged 40-59 years. We concluded the prevalence of AGA in policemen was twofold higher than that in the general population. Obesity at young age and sunlight exposure may be responsible for higher risk of AGA in policemen. However, further studies are warranted to confirm the current findings.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population Empty Re: Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:56 am

Must be the donuts.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population Empty Re: Androgenetic alopecia in policemen: higher prevalence and different risk factors relative to the general population

Post  crincrin Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 am

Definitely the donuts and the stress. I took an EMT class, and just about every instructor was fat/balding. They're out all day, they take stressful calls, they're in a rush and they eat junk food - the more an EMT is out working, the more sunlight they get.

The same is probably true for cops. Sunlight exposure probably associates nicely with diet and stress. I wonder how the study controlled for that.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 am

Very interesting study. I mastered in criminology, and in my brief research on the subject of police officers, I can confidently say that the over use of stress hormones is the factor.

The profession itself can be life changing in terms overall health, when many young, idealistic, and relatively healthy individuals enter the force and becoming rapidly aged, jaded, and unhealthy people. pig

EDIT: I don't mean to offend anyone with the pig--I just couldn't help myself. Sorry.

Last edited by bh2o on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : say)
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 am

I dont know if its a normal thing to develop along with hair loss, but I have a uncontrolable OCD like addiction sumerizing other peoples hair in my head, eg... I went in a kebab/fish'n'chip takeway with a two friends, 5 men are behind the counter mixed ethnicity (2 asias, 1 african and 2 english) all were receeding/receeded and going bald 5/5men? friend 1 who is 19 oftern takes a wide range of drugs MDMA, Ketamine, Cannabis, alcohol, lives on junk, energy drinks and late nights and has a full head of hair but VERY little stubble, liturally no facial hair... Friend 2 who is 20 works a 6:30am till 5:30pm stressfull job 5 days a week, eats junk, is over weight, smokes a lot cannabis and is very thin on top and has a noticable balding crown... A vast majority of suit wearing breifcase carrying/business are in stages of going bald, or seam to be... I am constantly seam to survay EVERYONE I see(not noticeably) in life, books, TV... Everyone... But i notice patterns in bald to non bald men, I don't know if anyone is deep into hair loss like this, or is this normal to pay more attention to hairloss/lines when you are lossing hair?
Sorry for the big blab... Rolling Eyes
FATE
FATE

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 am

but I have a uncontrolable OCD like addiction sumerizing other peoples hair in my head

I have the same problem. I'm perpetually bothered by my hair loss, and I find myself constantly scrutinizing others' hairlines.

At this point it's obvious that stress plays a huge role in hair loss. One way I've been trying to counter it is by reminding myself that every other effort I've made to stop hair loss (supplements, dietary changes, etc.) will be pointless if I don't curb stress.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Very good idea to stop stress...
I have been stress/depressed for the last couple of years till I stopped eating junk food, cut down on sugar and started cycling 5/6 times a week, it releases happy chemicals, I feel great/high after conquering a big hills and its just so peacefull riding in the country or woodlands where you see nobody, only animals and nature... Get home, walm to cold shower and i'm mentally refreshed and forget about hair for a while!...

I'm glad I know someone else has an obsession with hairlines haha Laughing

FATE
FATE

Back to top Go down

Post  niff1250 Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:20 am

FATE? wrote:is this normal to pay more attention to hairloss/lines when you are lossing hair?

I agree, it's almost an obsession

niff1250

Back to top Go down

Post  Armandein Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:44 am

Mi idea is that the lenght of scalp hair could be a factor in the first steps of common alopecia, Then it is possible the higher incidence of alopecia in policemen if the have short hair.
www.againstalopeciaandbaldness.com

Armandein

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down