Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyThu May 16, 2024 5:01 pm by Atlas

» zombie cells
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyFri May 10, 2024 4:54 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyWed May 08, 2024 7:45 am by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyMon May 06, 2024 2:18 pm by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyMon May 06, 2024 2:07 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyMon May 06, 2024 3:40 am by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptySat May 04, 2024 8:56 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyThu May 02, 2024 1:25 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 11:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro

2 posters

Go down

Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  Empty Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro

Post  mphatesmpb Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Fluoride is an essential trace element for human body; however, exposure to high amounts of fluoride has been documented to be correlated with an increasing risk of hair loss. To date, little is known about the mechanism(s) of how fluoride affects hair follicles. Here, we demonstrated that middle (1.0 mmol/L) and high (10.0 mmol/L) concentrations of sodium fluoride (NaF) significantly inhibited hair follicle elongation in vitro, but low NaF (0.1 mmol/L) showed little influence. Moreover, treatment with high levels of NaF resulted in a marked increase in terminal dUTP nick end labeling-positive cells in the outer layer of the outer root sheath, the dermal sheath, and the lower bulb matrix surrounding dermal papilla. Furthermore, the enhanced apoptosis was coupled with an increased oxidative stress manifested as higher malondialdehyde content. Additionally, the presence of selenium considerably antagonized the effects of middle NaF on hair follicles, with regard to either the suppression of hair growth or the induction of oxidative stress and apoptosis. In conclusion, exposure to high levels of fluoride compromises hair follicle growth and accelerate cell apoptosis in vitro. The toxicity of fluoride can be reduced by selenium, at least partially via the suppression of intracellular oxidative stress.

I still have to read up on "dUTP nick end labeling-positive cells" and malondialdehyde as a marker of oxidative stress, but it seems like selenium counteracts the oxidative stress. I wonder if concentrations of fluoride in tap water is high enough to have a negative effect on hair follicles.

-MP
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro  Empty Re: Fluorine-Induced Apoptosis and Lipid Peroxidation in Human Hair Follicles In Vitro

Post  Smurfy Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:33 pm

mphatesmpb wrote:

Fluoride is an essential trace element for human body; however, exposure to high amounts of fluoride has been documented to be correlated with an increasing risk of hair loss. To date, little is known about the mechanism(s) of how fluoride affects hair follicles. Here, we demonstrated that middle (1.0 mmol/L) and high (10.0 mmol/L) concentrations of sodium fluoride (NaF) significantly inhibited hair follicle elongation in vitro, but low NaF (0.1 mmol/L) showed little influence. Moreover, treatment with high levels of NaF resulted in a marked increase in terminal dUTP nick end labeling-positive cells in the outer layer of the outer root sheath, the dermal sheath, and the lower bulb matrix surrounding dermal papilla. Furthermore, the enhanced apoptosis was coupled with an increased oxidative stress manifested as higher malondialdehyde content. Additionally, the presence of selenium considerably antagonized the effects of middle NaF on hair follicles, with regard to either the suppression of hair growth or the induction of oxidative stress and apoptosis. In conclusion, exposure to high levels of fluoride compromises hair follicle growth and accelerate cell apoptosis in vitro. The toxicity of fluoride can be reduced by selenium, at least partially via the suppression of intracellular oxidative stress.

I still have to read up on "dUTP nick end labeling-positive cells" and malondialdehyde as a marker of oxidative stress, but it seems like selenium counteracts the oxidative stress. I wonder if concentrations of fluoride in tap water is high enough to have a negative effect on hair follicles.

-MP

Yes. I'm walking proof. Last year, before I realized not all water was equal, I'd get my drinking water straight from the tap (usually Brita though), and drank huge amounts of it... a liter a day maybe... and I was wondering why my hair was looking just awful. I thought water was good and required to keep it healthy. It was during this 5 month period where my hair shed very rapidly, as in run my hand through a section of hairs and end up pulling out 8-10, not to mention the globs in the shower drain. My scalp also became quite dry, and I had some mental fog too. After reading about the fluoride, I stopped drinking it cold turkey, and added 30mg of iodine daily. Within 1 week, no more hair fall, and better mental clarity. Nowadays, I drink spring water, and quite a bit of it, with barely any shedding. The only marked difference in the two is the amount of fluoride. (I've compared the sample tests)

I also started selenium last week. If hair fall slows even more, I've got a fairly solid theory, which you point out here, that fluorides do indeed weaken follicles.

Not to think it's just coincidence either, this problem only occurred while consuming tap water, not before or after that phase.
Smurfy
Smurfy

Back to top Go down