Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyYesterday at 12:43 am by MikeGore

» zombie cells
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think?

+3
phoenix21
fender89
MikeGore
7 posters

Go down

The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? Empty The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think?

Post  MikeGore Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 pm

I was wondering is there any effect of combing on hair loss?

I know there is such a thing called traction alopecia. But why is it that hair loss usually starts at the area where the hair is parted?

This is just an idea, all for the sake of trying to stop hair loss, so I hope you guys have some suggestions.

Now one thing I have noticed, is that most people start hair loss with the front. In another post, I had mentioned that certain type of hair or head shapes seem to be less likely to have hairloss. I don't know if any of you have noticed this. Maybe its not about the headshape but the grooming that matters. Some hair styles don't have the partting where you comb left or right. People with these hair type seem to suffer less hair loss IMO.

So what if the receding hairline and the horse shoe pattern is because, people progressively comb the hair further back and parting from further on the top. Maybe the reason why the hairs on the lower side of the head don't usually fall, is because they suffer the least resistance when being combed.

I'd like to know, people that have hair loss on the top or the crown, do you remember which part of your head you combed the most before hair loss began? Where do you have hair loss the most? Which part do you comb the least?

And I've noticed that people who usually have a long hair cut ( I mean who don't go to the barber and cut their hairs rather short) have better hair (well obviously, duh!). But what if its actually got something to do with combing. Could it be, the longer the hair the least resistance during combing?

Women having long hair, are probably less likely to damage the follicles due to resistance. They use different types of combs and brushes which actually may stimulate blood circulation. Men on the other hand have short hair that is 'harder' which probably causes more resistance.

Maybe one of the reasons that homeless people living on the streets have such great hair, is because they never comb it!

What about other countries where there is less hair loss. I wonder how they groom their hair.

Is there anyone who actually thought their hairs looked better after not combing it for a while? Or perhaps a change to a hair brush?

Question: How many of you here, typically preferred short cut hair at the barber?

I know this may all be bullshit, just wanted some opinions.

MikeGore

Back to top Go down

The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? Empty Re: The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think?

Post  fender89 Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm

would be cool if this were true but..

I have hairloss, am 21, hairloss started at 19. I loved to keep my hair super shaggy looking, never combed it in my life. Just let it be free so. Just hope my hair dosn't get much worse pale

fender89

Back to top Go down

The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? Empty Re: The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think?

Post  phoenix21 Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm

22 here, my hairloss started around 17. Dont remember combing it much in the past 10 years, maybe one in a great while. My hairloss is primarily in the form of a receding hairline, so at least in my case, I can't attribute the hairline recession to combing.

It could be a small factor for some. I think that aggressive daily combing could possibly contribute to sebum overproduction, which we know can be a problem. At the same time, Ive heard that some combing is good. It can supposedly keep the oil spread evenly along the shaft. I guess its one of those things you might need to keep in moderation.

In regards to traction alopecia, I think this is mostly a problem for people who braid their hair for long periods, or routinely keep their hair in supertight ponytails. Of course, if you were susceptible to MPB, and were just starting to bald, im sure this could speed things up.

My guess is that for most of us, grooming has little to do with our hairloss. Maybe its just a few drops of gas on an already roaring fire. If you think that it might be a bigger factor for you, definitely switch it up for a while, it couldnt hurt any. Just my 2 cents.

phoenix21

Back to top Go down

Post  barefoot Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:20 am

Here is a slightly different way to look at it. It is said (I don't know who) that, on the average, women brush their hair 30-to 50 times more often than men.

barefoot

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:23 am

Never brush my hair, hair loss front and back.

I believe a woman regrew some hairline and claimed it was from brushing it with a boar bristle brush multiple times a day...

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Decro435 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 am

Brushing will not case hair loss. It will promote circulation and make hair look healthier by distributing the natural oils around the hair.

This is the woman one of you guys was talking about (Original Hairline):
The Comb and Grooming - Could it be more important than we think? 360037066wfSbnG_th

Finished Hairline:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2208874330038665658VaxhfC

Her website:
http://recedinghairline.blogspot.com/2005/06/my-true-story.html
Decro435
Decro435

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:11 am

Yeah I think that was the one Decro. Was going to search for that later, thanks for posting.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix21 Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:15 pm

I definitely agree that various things that promote circulation are probably good for hairloss. BUT... IMHO these things are only good if youve got the inside under control. What i mean is, if youve got high levels of DHT or other inflammatory factors, you could potentially be making things worse by bringing them more quickly to the follicle.

Was experimenting with scalp exercises for a while, during that time I saw some acceleration in hairloss. This could be coinicidence, but was enough to steer me away from it for now.

Personally, I think it would be wise to get the inside under control before messing with circulation promoting techniques. Just a thought.

phoenix21

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Are you talking about Tom Hagerty's scalp exercises?
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  barefoot Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:07 am

For brushing and massages to have any positive effect, certain conditions have to be met otherwise the hair will just fall out. The condition can be met by any of the few ways.
Anatomically: by castration (I AM SERIOUS)
Biochemically: take drugs
Environmentally: live in the jungle
Physiologically: xxxx xx xxxxxx

barefoot

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix21 Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 am

mpbhatesmpb - yes, was talking about hagerty's exercises

barefoot - what is meant by this? -
Physiologically: xxxx xx xxxxxx

phoenix21

Back to top Go down

Post  barefoot Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:53 pm

xxxx xx xxxxxx is a can't be said in one page - about 23 pages I think in the book.

Aside from your psyche, your physiology is at the center of your existence. Male hormones (biochemicals) affect your physiology NOT hair follicles. Your environment (modern civilization) affect your physiology. Your behavior affect your physiology. Physical activity affect your physiology.

The secret is knowing how to counter and use to your advantage the effect of hormones, environment and behavior. If you don't want to 'neutralize' male hormones by castration or with drugs or live in the jungle, the last option would be a change in behavior. If you mimic the behavior of any of the following men, then your chances of preventing hair loss will be extremely high:
1) hunter gatherer men;
2) 40+year-old, fully haired, normotensive men
3) adolescent boys outside of classrooms

That will be easier said than done but this approach has been the center piece of the author's studies. He is a physiologists. Over the last few decades, fewer and fewer take up physiology in favor of biomedical science because that's where the money is. You'll be lucky to meet one. Many NASA physicians are physiologists.

How else can I say that misterE never really understood what he read. It's obvious that he not only skim the pages, he skip the sections he couldn't understand.

barefoot

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix21 Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:06 am

thanks for posting barefoot.

phoenix21

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:23 pm

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/dry_brushing_technique.htm

Brushing can promote lymphatic flow and elimination of waste acids.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down