Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Good insulin resistance article EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Good insulin resistance article EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Good insulin resistance article EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Good insulin resistance article EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Good insulin resistance article EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Good insulin resistance article EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Good insulin resistance article EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Good insulin resistance article EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Good insulin resistance article EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Good insulin resistance article

3 posters

Go down

Good insulin resistance article Empty Good insulin resistance article

Post  teacup Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:43 pm

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/insulin-resistance-the-real-culprit
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Good insulin resistance article Empty Re: Good insulin resistance article

Post  abc123 Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Good insulin resistance article Kula_men-md38NK5283

game set match

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Good insulin resistance article Bear-Grylls
Thanks Teacup, great link!

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:14 pm

my pic was of the kitavans who consumer huge amounts of carbs with no incidence of modern disease. what is the point of bear grylls eating a zebra ?

the whole low carb movement is about as stupid as the whole "artery clogging saturated fat" propaganda.

dietary fat raises ldl
-> ldl correlated with cvd
therefore fat leads to cvd

consuming carbs spikes insulin
-> insulin resistance correlated with disease
therefore carbs lead to disease

is equally as stupid

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:28 pm

With that rationale, what would you have one eat?
I was offering the picture of raw, lean meat for its benefits towards staying away from carb dominance. I've spent a good deal of time around a civilization who have pretty much evolved around a no carb existence, norther Indians / Eskimos and not only is their hair to die for, but they were extremely healthy and wily as wolves.

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Matt at 180 Degree Health:

"So carbohydrates raise insulin levels temporarily to store away glucose into cells. Is that a bad thing? Of course it’s not. The rise and fall of insulin is no different than the rise and fall of your chest as your breathe.

The biggest flaw; however, is the idea that repeatedly raising insulin levels will somehow trigger insulin resistance over time. This is nonsense. The rural Zulu’s and modern day Kitavans, who both eat insulin-raising carbohydrates at every meal never went on to show signs of insulin resistance. They didn’t show signs of it because THEY WEREN’T INSULIN RESISTANT! Insulin resistance is something that appears to be triggered only in a reduced metabolic state – something I’ve reasonably concluded by following the work of Broda Barnes and Mark Starr – two men who reported never seeing a case of type II diabetes (severe insulin resistance) occur in someone with a closely monitored metabolism.

Since the only known substance that can reliably trigger insulin resistance in humans and animal subjects – something that was also introduced at the onset of modern disease – and something that has been associated with insulin resistance syndromes such as hypoglycemia, poor glucose tolerance testing, cavities and so on for going on a century is sugar. Not just any sugar, as straight glucose from starchy foods absolutely cannot induce insulin resistance – but fructose. Not surprisingly, the consumption of fructose is one of the two largest dietary changes to take place during mankind’s “ascent” to modernism."

More here http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-eating-article/are-low-carb-diets-over-rated-for-health-and-longevity-the-kitavan-and-okinawa-diets/759597

I basically think the recommendations of weston a price are a good place to start. With a macro nutrient ratio based on metabolic typing/ what feels best for you.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm

I agree with you on some of these points, and when it really comes down to it I have some major questions regarding any diet. There are so many questions left mostly unanswered when it comes to diet, there's definitely some variables we're seldom taking into account.

It seems to me that the one thing we can generally agree on is that our ancestors whether eating carbohydrate dense or protien / fat dense foods, were very healthy. Something began happening as we began to have more control over our agriculture and became civilized, because merely reverting back to a diet that resembles even the best case scenario of our ancestors brings lackluster performance compared to what one would expect. If this wasn't the case, we would see diet as being the treatment and prevention strategy for nearly all disease or affliction, which is certainly not the case any longer.

I used a lot of over-encompassing groups of words there and I don't mean to pass off what I really don't mean, but I think you get what I'm trying to relay.

Back to top Go down

Post  Balthier Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 pm

abc123 wrote:my pic was of the kitavans who consumer huge amounts of carbs with no incidence of modern disease.
In short, they eat more carbohydrate (380g) than we do (322g), but don't get fat (but they get fat when they switch to our diet). They also don't suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. "Malnutrition and famine did not seem to occur. The residents of Kitava lived exclusively on root vegetables (yam, sweet potato, taro, tapioca), fruit (banana, papaya, pineapple, mango, guava, water melon, pumpkin), vegetables, fish and coconuts."

Based on this they probably eat right for their nutritional type and mostly unprocessed food unlike americans which would be why they get diseases when switching to an SAD. They get all good unprocessed fats and they probably get plenty of vitamin D from the sun.

Balthier

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Balthier wrote:
In short, they eat more carbohydrate (380g) than we do (322g), but don't get fat (but they get fat when they switch to our diet). They also don't suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. "Malnutrition and famine did not seem to occur. The residents of Kitava lived exclusively on root vegetables (yam, sweet potato, taro, tapioca), fruit (banana, papaya, pineapple, mango, guava, water melon, pumpkin), vegetables, fish and coconuts."

Based on this they probably eat right for their nutritional type and mostly unprocessed food unlike americans which would be why they get diseases when switching to an SAD. They get all good unprocessed fats and they probably get plenty of vitamin D from the sun.

I agree that it seems metabolic typing is probably why they can get that much carbs and be ok, and vitamin D, and fresh air and water and much more physical activity, swimming, etc.. Having said that I also strongly agree with Dr. Ron Rosedale, M.D. (an expert in nutritional and metabolic medicine), from the link above, that the modern high-carb, low fat diet is the cause of so many modern diseases.

Quotes of interest:

If there is a single marker for lifespan, as they are finding in the centenarian studies, it is insulin, specifically, insulin sensitivity or insulin resistance.

We come from a time of feast and famine and if we couldn’t store the excess energy during times of feasting, we would all not be here, because we all have had ancestors that encountered famine. So we are only here because our ancestors were able to store nutrients, and they were able to store nutrients because they were able to elevate their insulin in response to any elevation in energy rich foods that the organism encountered. When your body notices that the sugar is elevated, it is a sign that you’ve got more than you need right now, you are not burning it so it is accumulating in your blood. So insulin will be released to take that sugar and store it. How does it store it? Glycogen. Do you know how much glycogen you have in your body at any one time? Very little. All the glycogen stored in your liver and all the glycogen stored in your muscle if you had an active day wouldn’t last you the day. Once you fill up your glycogen stores how that sugar is stored? Saturated fat.
So the idea of the medical profession to go on a high complex carbohydrate, low saturated-fat diet is an absolute oxymoron, because those high complex carbohydrate diets are nothing but a high glucose diet, or a high sugar diet, and your body is just going to store it as saturated fat. The body makes it into saturated fat quite readily.

Storing Magnesium
A lesser known fact is that insulin also stores magnesium. If your cells become resistant to insulin, since you can’t store magnesium so you lose it, in the urine.

There was a study done a couple of years ago, that showed that heart attacks are two to three times more likely to happen after a high carbohydrate meal. They said specifically NOT after a high fat meal. Why is that? Because the immediate effects of raising your blood sugar from a high carbohydrate meal is to raise insulin and that immediately triggers the sympathetic nervous system which will cause arterial spasm, constriction of the arteries.

Acid/Alkaline
It is a high protein diet that will increase an acid load in the body, but not necessarily a high fat diet.

Also find another article by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D. the author of the book Lick The Sugar Habit titled 146 reasons why sugar is ruining your health here: http://www.seekingwholeness.com/diet-nutrition/146-reasons-why-sugar-is-ruining-your-life

Quote:

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).
6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.
7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.
8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
9 Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.
10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose.
11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.
12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
13. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
14. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.
15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
16. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.

To address abc123,

I agree with this:
Not just any sugar, as straight glucose from starchy foods absolutely cannot induce insulin resistance – but fructose. Not surprisingly, the consumption of fructose is one of the two largest dietary changes to take place during mankind’s “ascent” to modernism."

I am assuming these kitavans do not eat cookies, refined sugar, refined wheat flour, they dont drink fake juices. They simply eat freshly cut pure unadulterated fruits..

Some people may be able to get away with a ton of sugar, but I think most people are harmed by carbs .. especially the modern type ones.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:59 pm

teacup wrote:

To address abc123,

I agree with this:
Not just any sugar, as straight glucose from starchy foods absolutely cannot induce insulin resistance – but fructose. Not surprisingly, the consumption of fructose is one of the two largest dietary changes to take place during mankind’s “ascent” to modernism."

I am assuming these kitavans do not eat cookies, refined sugar, refined wheat flour, they dont drink fake juices. They simply eat freshly cut pure unadulterated fruits..

Some people may be able to get away with a ton of sugar, but I think most people are harmed by carbs .. especially the modern type ones.

Yes the sugar and fructose (even fruit for some people) is what causes problems. When people lump glucose/whole start foods in with these two it just reminds me of the stupidity involved when saturated fat was being demonized instead of the real culprit, hydrogenated oils.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down