Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer

+3
tonyj
MilBA
liverock
7 posters

Go down

Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer Empty Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer

Post  liverock Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Dont know quite what to make of this study which has been released this month.

Looks like they are saying that they have found resveratrol to spread existing cancer, though not necessarily start cancer. This seems at odds with most cancer research that I have seen. Shocked

I emailed Bill Sardi, a health researcher who has done a lot on resveratrol and he seems to agree with the conclusions, but added he will be bringing out a report shortly which explains the position fully. I also got the impression (though I may be wrong), that he may be moving to the position that resveratrol should only be consumed as in its natural form like red wine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20572158

Mol Carcinog. 2010 Aug;49(7):750-9.

Growth-stimulatory effect of resveratrol in human cancer cells.
Fukui M, Yamabe N, Kang KS, Zhu BT.

Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutics, School of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA.

Abstract
Earlier studies have shown that resveratrol could induce death in several human cancer cell lines in culture. Here we report our observation that resveratrol can also promote the growth of certain human cancer cells when they are grown either in culture or in athymic nude mice as xenografts.

PMID: 20572158 [PubMed - in process]

liverock

Back to top Go down

Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer Empty Re: Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer

Post  MilBA Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:07 am

I just read about this as well, would be curious to know what CS or some others thinks about the study.

MilBA

Back to top Go down

Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer Empty Re: Worrying Study On Resveratrol and Cancer

Post  tonyj Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:03 am

Well that sucks for the mice.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:05 am

Just preliminary, but will look into this deeper. I'm not overly concerned about it, since it appears to have a possible negative effect for a certain existing cancer, but whether this applies to resveratrol molecule specifically, without the syngery that is found in red wine still needs to be examined.

For example, a major bioflavonoid called quercetin also is found in red wine and have a synergistic effect with resveratrol. When a molecule is studied in isolate form, the effects can be different. It is food for thought.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  liverock Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:05 am

The problem is a lot of people are taking resveratrol as a supplement without any other flavonoids to form any possible protective synergy effect you would get with red wine.

Most resveratrol supplements come from the root of the Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) plant and not from grapeskins, and usually in high doses up to 200mg. Its unlikely there will be any flavonoids in these supplements.

Resveratrol appears to have a dual effect on estrogen receptors. It can antagonise estrogen in some receptors and not in others. This could account for it antagonising some types of cancer cells and on the other hand, allowing an increase in some other types of cancer cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11014220

liverock

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:31 am

I have been megadosing on Biotivia's Transmax reveratrol--just ordered the time release version--and also getting additional resveratrol from their acai product and Biospan product. In general, probably getting about 2500 mgs of trans-resveratrol daily.

I am a huge fan, obviously, of their supps. What I have noticed mainly is an increases stamina, athletic performance, energy, lower inflammation, including benefiting joints, almost like a resveratrol high that feels pretty damn good. I am somewhat concerned because this is perhaps the most hardcore thing I am taking, but I like it a lot.

Also, Biotivia is against adding quercetin because they say it de-activates the Sirt gene--sorry whatever it is called--which I was surprised to hear since i have been publicly skeptical about resveratrol products in the past because of the lack of co-factors.

I suggest everyone read the stuff on their Web site, as they have the best resveratrol period, as far as i can tell. And they are the go-to source for most current studies. There is a Q and A section and info on each product at their Web site.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  jerome Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 am

Ok so the simple answer seems to be combine flavonoids with your does of resver - the complex question is why haven't supp co's already begun doing this?

Is there an easy way to supp flavonoids to gain this synergy & mimic wine?

jerome

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 am

jerome

one would have to know all the synergic & antagonist relations of not only quercetin but of all the red wine compnents (you would make a list with more than 100 of them) to be sure

if you don't like red wine, there's an option

i've been to Modena (Aceto balsamico - red wine reduction) and the guys there have great hair, it means nothing maybe but Balsamico lovers have usually great hair in my experience

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53 am

Chilean cabernets, while not the most refined and smooth, seem to offer the best antioxidant punch and, for better or worse, I still consume red wine nightly.

But now you're talking about proanthicins and a host of other poyphenols and flavanoids.

With Transmax the aim is activating the longevity gene. Here's the study they reference on quercetin:

http://www.biotivia.com/assets/documents/quercetin.pdf

The acai product they offer is pretty good, also containing green tea polyphenols. That product seems to curb my appetite and acai, seems a lot like grape skins. It also makes my stomach muscles feel more contracted. I think it does some waist slimming. Could be the green tea though.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Prague Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:59 am

btw the balsamico benefits are impressive:

* Balsamic has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which make it an effective remedy for treating infections and wounds.
* Folk healers used balsamic to cure body pain and as energizer.
* Balsamic vinegar contains powerful antioxidant called polyphenols which fight cell damage and boost our immune system.
* The antioxidant in balsamic have also the potential to protect against heart disease, cancer, and other inflammatory conditions.
* Balsamic can help boost the activity of the digestive enzyme pepsin thus improving metabolism.
* Balsamic may help control diabetes. Study suggests that by adding as little as five teaspoons of the vinegar with a meal can improve insulin sensitivity. Better insulin sensitivity means better diabetes control and lowered risk of dangerous complications.
* Balsamic can reduce cholesterol level.
* Balsamic antioxidant may slow the aging process.
* Balsamic reduces the frequency of headaches.
* Balsamic contains important minerals that can strengthen the bones.
* Balsamic can help prevent anemia and fatigue.
* Balsamic can help suppress appetite and therefore an aid in controlling weight.

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  liverock Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:32 am

This is as much as I have been able to find out about resveratrol and cells used in this study.

Resveratrol is a phytoestrogen and can mimic estrogen in certain types of breast cancer cells. This can cause estrogen increases in certain types of BC cells and subsequenly an increase in the number of cancer cells when tested in vitro(in the laboratory). This is not true of all types of BC cells,in some resveratrol does the opposite and limits estrogen and protects against an increase of BC cells.

The cancer cells in this study used MDA-MB-435 cells which are BC cells, and obviously are of the type that resveratrol does not protect against an increase in estrogen.

The fact that resveratrol does have this dual effect against BC cells has been known for a while, as studies have been done over 10 years ago highlighting the problem with resveratrol and the different responses to the various types of BC cells during in vitro testing.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/resveratrol/

Estrogenic and Anti-estrogenic Activities

Endogenous estrogens are steroid hormones synthesized by humans and other mammals; these hormones bind to estrogen receptors within cells. The estrogen-receptor complex interacts with unique sequences in DNA (estrogen response elements; EREs) to modulate the expression of estrogen-responsive genes (17). A compound that binds to estrogen receptors and elicits similar responses to endogenous estrogens is considered an estrogen agonist, while a compound that binds estrogen receptors but prevents or inhibits the response elicited by endogenous estrogens is considered an estrogen antagonist. The chemical structure of resveratrol is very similar to that of the synthetic estrogen agonist, diethylstilbestrol (see figure 2), suggesting that resveratrol might also function as an estrogen agonist. However, in cell culture experiments resveratrol acts as an estrogen agonist under some conditions and an estrogen antagonist under other conditions (18, 19). In estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells, resveratrol acted as an estrogen agonist in the absence of the endogenous estrogen, 17beta-estradiol, but acted as an estrogen antagonist in the presence of 17beta-estradiol (20, 21). At present, it appears that resveratrol has the potential to act as an estrogen agonist or antagonist depending on such factors as cell type, estrogen receptor isoform (ER alpha or ER beta), and the presence of endogenous estrogens (17).

Reputable retailers of reservatrol normally point out that women who have breast cancer or who have had it should not take resveratrol.

Resveratrol has not shown any similar problems in in vitro testing for any other type of cancer cells other than BC cells, as far as I have been able to find out.

All in all probably nothing for males to worry about, but sure is an incentive to get rid of those 'man boobs'. Laughing

liverock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down