Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Alcohol is poison! EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Alcohol is poison! EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Alcohol is poison! EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Alcohol is poison! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Alcohol is poison! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Alcohol is poison! EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Alcohol is poison! EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Alcohol is poison! EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Alcohol is poison! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Alcohol is poison!

+5
nidhogge
EIC
Gibson
CausticSymmetry
Misirlou
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Alcohol is poison! Empty Alcohol is poison!

Post  Misirlou Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:20 pm

..just like us humans Sad

What if I would like to go out two days a month and drink a bit too much..what alcohol is least horrible for the hair? And don't tell me there are none, I've given up both milk and bread for you guys, what more can you ask from me???? pig

I could go for weed instead, or any other kind of herbal alternative, I'm open for suggestions - I've always hated alcohol.

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Alcohol is poison! Empty Re: Alcohol is poison!

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Misirlou - If you were to go out on a drink fest a couple times a month let's say--loading up on Taurine and Glutamine would help reduce the negative impacts somewhat.

As far as avoiding certain foods, I am quick to say that I regularly indulge in some "forbidden" foods, like Pizza, a milk chocolate bar now and again (especially if I head out to the movies). Some foods I will absolutely refuse to eat because they are death. Anything hydrogenated, donuts, I very rarely eat pastries (oh they are good), cereal I avoid--pure evil. Pasteurized milk really evil, I avoid that without a doubt.

But, every once in a while some pasta, the idea is to load up on the supplements to protect yourself.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:50 pm

And trying to eat all those supplements through natural sources of food is just impossible, right? Would require eating 24/7?

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 am

I am a drinker. Meaning: I have consumed alcohol just about every night for quite some time. I don't drink during the day, but I can easily polish a bottle of red wine every night. I switched to red wine several months ago in an attempt to find the most healthy way to consume alcohol. For the most part I think wine is the best choice. Here's why: for some reason, the prebiotics in it, or something, seem to negate the candida effect of alcohol. Notably, when I was a beer drinker, I had a full-on case of candida, white coated tongue, etc. Not with wine, however. Unlike hard liquor, which also has more of a candida effect, it is more difficult to go overboard with wine. In short, I tend to get tired as I consume too much, so it is like an automatic shut-off. Finally, there are polyphenols and some reservatrol in red wine which seem to be delivered well through the alcohol. If you ever leave a glass of red wine out over night, you'll see, after some has evaporated, just how concentrated the grape is in wine. Cabernet seems to deliver best on this. One huge downside to wine, however, is that it will stain and rot your teeth like nothing else. Be careful, and try to get it all off your tongue and teeth before going to bed.

This is all not to say that being a drinker doesn't have a huge downside. I have to nurse myself to some degree to balance the damaging effects of alcohol. This is why I know so much about detox and know first hand which supps help with recovery. Also, I can gage which foods put the most demand on the body, as I am sparring my resources for the alcohol.

Of course I have had long runs of total abstinence, in which aspects of health have increased. That said, those runs never had a beneficial impact on my hair. They have provided me with more strength and stamina, whiter eyes, a clearer mind, balanced emotions.

All said, I have been off the booze for a few days and feel like superman; however, here is THE THING:
Something that has confounded me for some time is my feeling that alcohol consumption actually prevents hair loss, in my case. With my regimen in full swing, and nightly drinks as an adjunct, my hair loss is virtually zero. Hair is naturally well conditioned, and generally, I feel like I am reversing the process. Since stopping, I am noticing hairs in the sink; hair doesn't feel that well connected; it is dryer; it doesn't look as good. I used to think that it was hormonal; that curbing testosterone with alcohol had some benefit. Now I am starting to think it is more circulatory: it's the blood thinning that has the benefit. This would explain why my hair is fierce in yoga, on the stage, and when I am totally drunk.

IH--Can you recommend a safe supplement to thin the blood?

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  EIC Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:01 am

Wow! Gibson, you tend to avoid meat and other foods because they will interfere with your detox but often drink a bottle of wine every night? No wonder you feel the need to continuously detox.

As far as thinning blood, enzymes will do this, particularly nattokinase. See, for example, this product (though you can get it elsewhere for cheaper, I'm sure): http://www.vitalzym-review.com/vitalzym-seb

Also, you're observation about candida and wine is interesting. I think it may have to do with cream of tartar. This is a byproduct of fermenting grapes and is often recommended as an anti-candida supplement.

EIC

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:39 am

EIC--
Yeah, it's true, and I still manage to feel and look far better than most. In the back of my mind, I always wonder how much better I would be doing with the same protocol, sans the booze.

Big thanks for the tip on the the supplement!!

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:46 am

Unfortunately, I am having a lousy hair day again--mostly in my mind, but I can perceive well enough where this is going--which seems to be directly related to having stopped red wine for a while. Nothing else has changed! I'm going to pick up a bottle of nattokinase and a bottle of wine today.

I intend to explore this angle quite a bit. Notably, the hair loss is on my mother's side of the family, and they have a profound history of circulatory problems. This link on foods that thin/clot blood, I thought was an interesting read:

http://www.ctds.info/natthinners.html

There seems to be a relation to vitamin K, as well. I've just begun to ponder this.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:45 am

I can't even begin to state how much my hair has improved with my current protocol. Can't wait to see what it'll look like by summer's end!

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:34 am

nidhogge wrote:I can't even begin to state how much my hair has improved with my current protocol. Can't wait to see what it'll look like by summer's end!

which is? Suspect

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 am

Gibson - After a break of regular alcohol consumption there can be a temporary period where you'll get a significantly high prolactin level.
This is the body's crazy way to temping you to have what it doesn't need.

That's my theory on the recent shedding anyway. If I'm right, your hair should stabilize soon.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:19 am

damn. i caved in.

thanks for that though.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:44 am

also, I am going to see if there is any substance to my blood thinning theory.

in general, it was a day full of illumination. i was sitting in the sun with my blackberry, and i realized that the sun drives my blood sugar way low. sure enough, i googled it, and easily found info on sunlight's blood sugar lowering effect. in general, i think my blood sugar level is too easily compromised downwardly. I may have to back off on the ALA, which would kind of suck because I really like it as a antioxidant.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:25 am

Gibson - I think you're right on with both points. Studies show that regular alcohol consumption is often associated with the tendency to be hypoglycemic.

Secondly, sun exposure absolutely does lower blood sugar. That's a positive usually. If you are slightly hypoglycemic, regular alpha lipoic acid is better tolerated than Bio-enhanced R-Lipoic acid.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Misirlou--

I've shared my protocol before on Regrowth.com, it consists of the topical that I mentioned in the PM to you in the other thread, and will soon be my own custom topical in the AM and PM. My diet is very low in starches and carbs and sugars, and high in quality organic protein and veggies with some fruit.

I do drink alcohol, but not in excess. Just a couple drinks when I go out.

I'm on IH's entire regime, and then a few other supplements (one being Pueraria Mirifica).

The laser helmet is clutch as well that I build for folks--30 minute treatments, every other day. Often, when I'm replying to forum threads and e-mails. Smile

I also do chemical peels--this just started.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:12 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote: cereal I avoid--pure evil.

Why is all cereal bad? Are you talking about most cereals that are sugar loaded? I eat Cheerios, Wheat Chex, or Grape Nuts, with soy milk every morning! I thought I was doing good by consuming whole grain and fiber. If I have to rule out cereal and sugar and bread, then what am I supposed to eat other than eggs in the morning?

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Misirlou Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 pm

JHarsh80 wrote:
CausticSymmetry wrote: cereal I avoid--pure evil.

Why is all cereal bad? Are you talking about most cereals that are sugar loaded? I eat Cheerios, Wheat Chex, or Grape Nuts, with soy milk every morning! I thought I was doing good by consuming whole grain and fiber. If I have to rule out cereal and sugar and bread, then what am I supposed to eat other than eggs in the morning?

LOL! That's what I've been thinking about too..I like eggs but... scratch

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:27 am

JHarsh80 - Grape Nuts might have some mycotoxins, but cereal is mainly "evil' since usually pasteurized milk is added to it.

Honestly, I don't know if Grape Nuts alone is all that bad. It's generally whole wheat as the first ingredient. And unless your gluten intolerant, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you have access to grass-fed, raw milk, that would make it much, much safer to eat.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:48 am

JHarsh--

I provided a link to Magnesium Oil. On that page, it talks about Soy, and how it shrinks testicles. Drink up! Wink

Seriously though--toss that right in the garbage. As for my breakfast--4 raw eggs mixed with a scoop of whey isolate french vanilla, and some berries--whatever I have lying around. I recommend also swapping the whey with agave nectar as a sweetener. You can add organic yogurt as well, preferably one loaded with pre and probiotics.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  EIC Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 am

nidhogge wrote:JHarsh--

I provided a link to Magnesium Oil. On that page, it talks about Soy, and how it shrinks testicles. Drink up! Wink

Seriously though--toss that right in the garbage. As for my breakfast--4 raw eggs mixed with a scoop of whey isolate french vanilla, and some berries--whatever I have lying around. I recommend also swapping the whey with agave nectar as a sweetener. You can add organic yogurt as well, preferably one loaded with pre and probiotics.

I would recommend against agave nectar. It is pure fructose. I'd recommend either Stevia or raw honey (the latter of which is almost pure glucose). I cannot overstate how problematic fructose is.

EIC

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:48 am

I don't see fructose being a big problem if your only source is agave nectar at a tablespoon a day or less. It's problematic when you consume too much of it, ie - fruits with high fructose content. Berries are usually safe bets.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am

As far as fructose goes, everything I've ever read on Agave Nectar has been impressive.

Natural fructose and commercial fructose are quite different. Both do not raise insulin levels to any modicum level.
The bad stuff, high fructose corn syrup eventually builds up fatty deposits on the liver, raising triglycerides and then seriously
impacting insulin sensitivity.

Much of my supplement regimen is designed to eat fructose (not that it is encouraged) without as much detrimental effects.

It's really hard to avoid fructose, since it's in everything sold, practically--but as natural stuff goes, Agave Nectar is probably one of the best natural sweeteners other than stevia.

Whey low is pretty good stuff too. www.wheylow.com
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I agree: fructose, naturally occurring in whole fruit, presents absolutely no problems for me, no inflammation. Whole raw fruits, for the most part, are easily digested and handled by the body. Isolate the fructose, as in fruit sweetened, and there is a challenge, perhaps some inflammation. Totally isolate and bastardize in the lab, as in high fructose corn syrup, you're screwed.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:40 pm

nidhogge wrote:JHarsh--

Thanks Nidhogge, that really calms me down!

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Ok seriously though... Since I have giant balls I'm not overly concerned, but can you go into a bit more detail about why I should toss the soymilk?

I always thought that eggs were a moderation food unless you scrapped the yolk. Aren't they bad on your cholesterol to eat everyday?

Also, I also drink whey protein: NOW whey protein isolate- with stevia- THE best whey protein in existence- almost zero carbs, no chemicals or preservatives, mixes easily, tastes decent, digests easily, and is really affordable. I think NOW Foods is an awesome brand, and I just ordered a 16oz bottle of liquid stevia.

So why the need for eggs when you're drinking the protein? I don't particularly care for protein farts. Well everybody loves their own brand, but I don't particularly care for having to hold them in in public or stay awake all night when sleeping next to a girl in fear of losing control of my sphincter and tear-gassing her. That can kill the romance.

There is evaporated cane juice in my organic soy milk. Why do they use that; because it's organic?

I always thought that carbs were carbs were carbs, with the exception of high fructose corn syrup. Why is glucose ok and fructose not? I know glucose is the most simple form and is natural but?? If complex carbs like pasta and bread are bad, then how is a simple sugar like fructose ok? What am I missing here?

Where are you getting your whole grains and fiber Nidhogge? Oh and I'm sure the Avodart is doing something far more evil to my balls than soy milk! Evil or Very Mad

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  nidhogge Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm

LOL JH.

Eggs are nature's most perfect food, along with raw milk. It's also the most bioavailable protein available. Your body uses 93.7% of it approximately. Chicken and other meats are in the 70s. The type of cholesterol found in egg yolks is actually good cholesterol, and you can eat as much as you want and it won't touch your cholesterol levels at all in any form of negative impact. It'll only benefit, in fact. Feel free to eat 100 eggs a day if you'd like, preferably free-range and raw (blended with berries and some ice, scoop of whey isolate protein for some flavoring, etc.).

Soy is estrogenic, and messes with our hormonal profiles. Soy, however, is beneficial for menopausal women. IH is an ace on soy detriments--care to elaborate IH?

NOW is a pretty solid band, though some of their products are sub-par in how much they put in their capsules, for example. Compare the price and quantity you get to the 15 lb. buckets of Whey Isolate from Nutrabio.com--you'll probably get a better deal on Nutrabio.com. Nutrabio.com also offers the option of flavorless protein, giving you no carbs, and strictly 99% lactose-free Whey Isolate. Their flavoring is amazing though. Been drinking shakes for gosh over a decade and never had anything like it.

A good test to see if your girl really loves you is to load up on protein shakes, and give her a good ole fashion Dutch oven. If she still stays in bed with you, marry that girl.

Seriously though--eggs are a slower form of digesting protein, with far more benefits than standard Whey from a nutrient perspective. They would be something that you eat consistently throughout the day, while Whey is a post-workout protein. Whey gets to your muscle in under an hour, while eggs are sort of "time-released", which is great for maintaining a positive nitrogen balance. Whey is a supplement, do not forget that. Many professional bodybuilders completely avoid Whey and just stick with natural sources such as eggs.

No idea about the evaporated cain juice, but sugar is sugar, and Candida isn't picky--that's for sure.

IH will have to shed more info. on the difference in glucose/fructose!

Whole grains and fibers are two things that the human body has absolutely no need of. It is a piece of marketing propaganda that fiber helps bowel movements--it only enlarges the amount of bowel to be moved. What helps bowel movements is magnesium and fish oils in particular, along with a healthy balance of minerals in your diet. Add Celtic Sea Salt to your meals daily, strongly suggest that. Plenty of organic options for good prices out there on the net. If you think about whole grains, it is nothing that our prehistoric brethren would have touched. If it couldn't be consumed raw, then it wasn't eaten. It must be prepared. You can kill an animal and eat it, or even eat it alive (sick as that is). You can pick a vegetable or fruit and eat it. Grains, however, require a process to be edible. We went quite a while before it began to be used as a food source. So, no, we haven't gotten to the evolutionary point where our bodies are conditioned for whole wheats to the point where we depend on them for nutrition.

That said, if you do eat whole wheats, make sure it's organic flour, and has no added ingredients other than sea water. Bread that rises naturally is a good thing. No yeast, sugar, preservatives, etc. I order from here:

http://www.pacificbakery.com/

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next