Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases

+5
thelibrarian
kijumn
CausticSymmetry
hadrion
Espio
9 posters

Go down

Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases Empty Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases

Post  Espio Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 am

This study put the balding men into 3 groups (slight, moderate, and severe balding). There was no difference in the medical history, diabetes, cholesterol, etc. were all the same. Only difference the severe balding group was they have 4.4 times higher amount of a sulfur-containing gas CH3SCH3 on their breath. Then they compared the associations between the presence of that gas on their breath with their medical history and found some strong correlations:

Mean values of (CH3)2S in subjects with systemic disease divided by baldness group
Slight Moderate Severe
Gastrointestinal disease (N = 79) 0.31 (0.80) 0.19 (0.39) 2.26 (4.38)
Hypertension (N = 68) 0.47 (0.94) 0.21(0.35) 0.96 (1.36)
Hypertension (treated) (N = 46) 0.27 (0.65) 0.25 (0.39) 1.30 (1.66)
Hypercholesterolemia (N = 24) 0.13 (0.36) 0.16 (0.28) 6.50 (11.09)
H. pylori elimination (N = 13) 0.45 (0.77) 0.05 (0.08) 0.24 (0.39)
Hepatic disease (N = 39) 0.46 (0.80) 0.18 (0.31) 0.59 (1.26)
Diabetic disease (N = 25) 0.43 (0.94) 0.12 (0.21) 1.61 (2.91)

The group with high cholesterol had over 43 times higher amounts of this gas in their body! People with diabetes had 4 times more gas. And gastrointestinal disease people had 7 times higher rates of the gas.

Perhaps soon we will be able to judge hair loss by our breath and body odor?

Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases in Japanese elderly men: pilot study

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=19284665

Background
Male pattern baldness (MPB), an observable trait, has been reported to be associated with various diseases, such as prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease. Oral sulfur-containing gases have also been suggested to be useful as markers of systemic health condition. However, there are no known reports regarding the associations among MPB, and oral sulfur-containing gases, and systemic health conditions in males.
Methods
We studied 170 male subjects aged either 60 or 65 years old. The degree of MPB was assessed using the Norwood-Hamilton Baldness scale. Oral sulfur-containing gases were measured using a compact-designed device. All subjects completed physical and laboratory blood examinations, a face-to-face medical questionnaire, and an oral examination.
Results
There were significant differences between the levels of CH3SCH3 and baldness patterns, independent of age. When we analyzed whether the association was linked to systemic health condition, a strong significant association was observed between the level of CH3SCH3 and severe MPB in subjects with gastrointestinal diseases, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia.
Conclusion
These results suggest that MPB is associated with the level of CH3SCH3, a sulfur-containing gas that causes oral malodor, in elderly Japanese males. Further, the association was intensified by the existence of gastrointestinal tract and metabolic disorders.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases Empty Re: Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases

Post  Espio Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

Okay that table I posted did not come out right, but the link I gave has the full text available, just click on table 4 to get it. Here is the table directly: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2666723&rendertype=table&id=T4

This is interesting to me because I have always had an onion body odor since puberty in my sweat, and I've read it is from some sulphur compound in the sweat that mixes with bacteria in armpits to create the onion odor. Anyone else have bad breath or onion body odor?

Espio

Back to top Go down

Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases Empty Re: Associations among hair loss, oral sulfur-containing gases, and gastrointestinal and metabolic linked diseases

Post  hadrion Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 am

Espio,

I don't have an "onion" ordor when I sweat.

I'm more of a ammonia type odor. My gym clothes generally smell of ammonia the next day.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:41 am

Espio - Great stuff, thanks for posting.

A long time ago when I used to eat a lot of refined carbs, my breath was terrible according to my GF at the time and I had to take some really strong oral antiseptic to get rid of it.

I think probiotics, sufficient stomach acid production are all key since it is determinant in bacterial action, the source of these odors.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Great study.

I thought this quote is interesting

--------------------------------------------------

"The thyroid is one of the important glands influencing dental decay.

There is a fluid flow from the pulp chamber, through the dentin, through the enamel and into the mouth in people who have no dental decay. Thyroid is part of the endocrine function that controls the direction of this fluid flow. Low thyroid hormone production allows this fluid flow to run in the opposite direction--from the mouth, into the enamel, dentin, and pulp chamber. This fluid brings bacteria and debris from the mouth with it, leading to dental decay."

http://www.thyroidnascentiodine.com/thyroidgland.htm
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  thelibrarian Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:29 am

This study appears to suggest that balding men cannot efficiently digest sulfur in foods, If this is true than this is a major piece of the hair loss puzzle! One of the primary bulding blocks of hair is cysteine, the sulfur amino acid. Without cysteine hair will become thinner and thinner!

This study popped into my mind today because my wife mentioned that I have smelled of garlic for the last few days. I had a very small amount of hummous 2 days ago! This is my normal reaction to onions and garlic.

Any thoughts on improving sulfur digestion?
BTW, I don't have any problem with MSM. I can take 5 grams without producing any "gases"
thelibrarian
thelibrarian

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:19 am

thelibrarian wrote:BTW, I don't have any problem with MSM. I can take 5 grams without producing any "gases"

A little old lady goes to the doctor and says, "I can't stop passing
gas. Luckily, my farts don't smell and are always silent. As a matter
of fact, I've farted twice since I've been here in your office, but you
didn't even notice."

"I can help you," says the doc. "Take these pills and come back next
week."

The next week, the lady returns. "Doctor," she says, "I don't know what
you gave me, but now my farts reek."

The doctor says, "Good, we fixed your sinuses! Now let's work on your
hearing."

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:22 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:A long time ago ... my breath was terrible according to my GF at the time...

IH, your should have responded by doing the doggy style, you lean forward, get a firm hold of your GF's boobs and then you whisper in her ear; gee, they feel exactly the same as your sister's.. And then you try to stay on for another ten seconds...

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 pm

thelibrarian wrote:This study appears to suggest that balding men cannot efficiently digest sulfur in foods, If this is true than this is a major piece of the hair loss puzzle! One of the primary bulding blocks of hair is cysteine, the sulfur amino acid. Without cysteine hair will become thinner and thinner!

This study popped into my mind today because my wife mentioned that I have smelled of garlic for the last few days. I had a very small amount of hummous 2 days ago! This is my normal reaction to onions and garlic.

Any thoughts on improving sulfur digestion?
BTW, I don't have any problem with MSM. I can take 5 grams without producing any "gases"

That's an interesting thought. I can say that once we hit about the age of 40, this is when we have less hydrochloric acid and enzymes to properly digest food. One of the causes of osteoporosis a condition that does have some commonalities with hair loss is the inability to properly digestion protein.

Almost always when I mention declining stomach acid it is often a bit confusing since the media & pharmaceuticals have done an amazing job at convincing the public that stomach acid increases with age, when in fact the very opposite occurs.

It is then asked, "then where does the acid come from?" Actually the stomach acid is just in the wrong place. If there is sufficient stomach acid, the Pyloric Sphincter will open up to allow the food to pass into the small intestine.

If there isn't sufficient hydrochloric acid, the Pyloric Sphincter will not open and the food will ferment and produce excessive gas. I call this fermenting waste acid residue.

Not surprisingly, carbohydrate is one of the culprits to kick this off, but of course it's a little more complicated than that.

Anyway, this fermenting waste acid goes up and literally opens the esophageal sphincter allowing the gas to be be noticeable and, if there's lots of this residue it can cause acid reflux.

A lot of unsuspecting patients are in hospital rooms after suffering from a broken hip or fracture from taking anti-acid pills, especially proton pump inhibitors such as the "Purple pill." Even more alarming is that stomach acid is need to kill off bacteria and viruses.

Stomach acid also improves circulation. I hope that one day one of the largest lies in the medical industry will become mainstream, but for now untold thousands will die of pneumonia from these pills. Sorry for the tangent.

Anyway the answer to poor digestion is either to increase protein (this stimulates HCL production), or taking digestive enzymes or take a probiotic. If stomach acid is quite low, then betaine or glutamic acid hydrochloride tablets.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thelibrarian Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:41 am

thanks for the reply IH. So , you believe that it is a digestive issue? so what is it about balding men that comprimises digestion?

Do you agree that cysteine is essential for hair growth?

hope you are having a great weekend
thelibrarian
thelibrarian

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 am

thelibrarian - Over the years I have tried to find any links but nothing totally stands out with respect to the general population. For example Helicobacter Pylori, a bacterium in the stomach when there is low acidity does have a significant correlation with skin diseases, including psoriasis and rosacea. In the case of the latter is very strong to the point of almost certain remission if H. Pylori and stomach acid problems are ameliorated.

Also there is a greater tendency for insulin resistance condition to have more digestive problems. Unfortunately I have no idea if cysteine absorption is compromised enough to facilitate hair loss in the typical male experiencing pattern hair loss.
It would a more extreme condition such as anorexia or protein malnutrition.

There is of course a lower level of available glutathione for MPB, and cysteine is part of the tri-peptide matrix that makes up glutathione, (glycine and glutamine are the other two).

Maybe there odor or sulfur/cysteine component comes from a poor good to bad bacteria ratio in the gut? This is what I would guess. I hope we can figure out an answer.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:40 am

Reviving an old thread. LF, have you seen this one?
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  a<r Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:29 am

mphatesmpb wrote:Reviving an old thread. LF, have you seen this one?

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:14 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:
Maybe there odor or sulfur/cysteine component comes from a poor good to bad bacteria ratio in the gut? This is what I would guess. I hope we can figure out an answer.

I think CS is right.

These bad ratios and bad species will produce toxic gases along with other toxins.

With those toxins, a host of metabolic problems may come.

What are those metabolic problems? There might be many. We know there are correlations with insulin resistance, less antioxidant capacity, more inflammation, antioxidant depletion, toxin accumulation (metals?), androgens, auto immune problems / immune dysfunction, ...

So probably it isn't just an aminoacid metabolism problem but a variety of issues due to a bad flora, or less than optimal if you wish.

So if a bad flora promotes the accumulation of toxins like metals, the focus should be in getting rid of those metals (something CS has been stressing for years) AND fixing the bad flora.

I think it isn't a matter of just throwing some probiotics in and that will fix the problem. Fixing your diet, providing probiotics and their food is needed as a fundamental step in the process. I believe that we also have to attack the pathogens and their biofilms, otherwise the problem is perpetuated by them. I come down to this conclusion after a long time of experimentation and researching. I have faith on this, and I'm currently focused on it.

LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:18 am

Sulfur containing gas, always there in the presence of aliens, demons, ghosts, and other paranormal creatures. Perhaps baldness is related to demon possession?

Espio

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

Sulfur containing gas, always there in the presence of aliens, demons, ghosts, and other paranormal creatures. Perhaps baldness is related to demon possession?

Very sharp observation. I think you've found the missing piece, Espio. Time to call the ghost busters.

mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:52 am

mphatesmpb wrote:

Very sharp observation. I think you've found the missing piece, Espio. Time to call the ghost busters.

Or a shrink... Razz
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04 am

Considering these findings, the association between MPB and oral malodor may be explained through novel mechanisms that have not been defined

I'd say bacterial imbalance.

Sulphur-containing amino acids,
such as cysteine, undergo anaerobic
bacterial degradation to form vola-
tile sulphur compounds (VSC), such
as hydrogen sulphide (H 2 S),
methylmercaptan (CH3SH) and dime-
thyl sulphide (CH3SCH3). Other non-
sulphur containing compounds that
may also contribute to bad breath
includes cadaverine and putrescine
(diamines), acetone and acetaldehyde.
Numerous bacterial species have
been shown to produce VSCs.

I'm waiting for a study that show significant differences in gut flora from persons with MPB vs persons without it.

From the original study and other pointers, it's not crazy to asume that there are differences indeed; afterall, these gases are produced by specific bacteria.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am

Sulphur-containing amino acids,
such as cysteine, undergo anaerobic
bacterial degradation to form vola-
tile sulphur compounds (VSC), such
as hydrogen sulphide (H 2 S),
methylmercaptan (CH3SH) and dime-
thyl sulphide (CH3SCH3).

Cysteine is a component of glutathione. Depletion of glutathione is characteristic of MPB. Perhaps in men with MPB, there is an over-abundance of bacteria which degrade cysteine before it can be absorbed through the intestinal epithelium? Perhaps the cells of the body are not getting enough cysteine to manufacture glutathione. It's a bit of a stretch.

I've also read that cysteine acts as a methyl donor in the conversion of homocysteine to methionine. Bears relevance to fact that there is poor DNA methylation of androgen receptors in balding scalps.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down