Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto

+2
TheDivineMarquis
masterofnone
6 posters

Go down

differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto Empty differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto

Post  masterofnone Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:42 am

I'm having a hard time understanding the whole picture on how these three options relate. As I understand it...

1) Fin/Propecia
Action: Blocks type-2 5 Alpha-reductase
Side effects: I'm sure everyone's aware (http://www.drugs.com/sfx/propecia-side-effects.html)

2) beta-sitosterol
Action: Also a type-2 5 Alpha-reductase inhibitor
Side effects: Theoretically I'd guess the same as Fin/Propecia, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence to support that (i.e. it seems like a better option, but maybe there's just a lack of research)...?
Reputable brands: ?

3) saw palmetto
Action: no one's exactly sure how it works, but it's hypothesized to also inhibit 5 Alpha-reductase in one way or another...?
Side effects: ?

Hoping someone here can clear up the missing parts of beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto, or point to an explanation elsewhere...Thanks!

---------------------------
Got most of my info from:
here: http://forum.americanhairloss.org/threads/119-The-quot-Big-3-quot-to-help-STOP-hairloss
here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/170080-beta-sitosterol-to-treat-hair-loss/
and here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122

masterofnone

Back to top Go down

differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto Empty Re: differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto

Post  masterofnone Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:50 am

Also is there another option you think should among the 3 above?

masterofnone

Back to top Go down

differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto Empty Re: differences b/w: 1) Finasteride 2) beta-sitosterol and 3) saw palmetto

Post  TheDivineMarquis Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:48 am

Interesting topic. I´ve been looking for an "herbal propecia" for a while. I eventually sticked with beta-sitosterol, taking about 230mg daily for the last 6 months. 

Although I´ve read in many forums that it is an 5AR type 2 inhibitor, I´ve never found any scientific studies confirming this.
TheDivineMarquis
TheDivineMarquis

Back to top Go down

Post  bayman Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:08 pm

TheDivineMarquis wrote:Interesting topic. I´ve been looking for an "herbal propecia" for a while. I eventually sticked with beta-sitosterol, taking about 230mg daily for the last 6 months. 

Although I´ve read in many forums that it is an 5AR type 2 inhibitor, I´ve never found any scientific studies confirming this.

What are your results from taking beta-sitosterol 230mg daily for 6 months?

bayman

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 pm

About 5-6 years ago I took beta-sis for a good year or two, I think about 500mg / day

My hair was pretty good back then but I wasn't paying close enough attention to it to tell how much it was helping. Damn, wish I'd taken some photos back then, got a feeling it may have been helping but can't say for sure.

I'm quite sensitive to anything that messes with my hormones (even Nizoral gave me itchy nips!) but with beta-sis no discernible sides

(I always steered clear of Saw.P... read about way more hormonal side effects with that stuff)
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDivineMarquis Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 pm

bayman wrote:
TheDivineMarquis wrote:Interesting topic. I´ve been looking for an "herbal propecia" for a while. I eventually sticked with beta-sitosterol, taking about 230mg daily for the last 6 months. 

What are your results from taking beta-sitosterol 230mg daily  for 6 months?

Well, I guess my hairline is the same. Maybe some little hairs where and there, but nothing too noticeble. I think 6 months is too early to tell anything. My scalp maybe itching a little more with BS, many users reported this.

Personally, I think BS is a must have in a natural MPB regimen.
TheDivineMarquis
TheDivineMarquis

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:41 am

DHT doesn't cause hair loss

don't take any of them

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post   Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:02 am

Beta sitosterol is supposedly the main active component of saw palmetto. It's also in some other plants too. I think there is evidence of it effecting both the type I and II 5-AR.

If something works as effectively as finasteride, then it will probably cause the same sides. I have seen posts on the Propecia Help forums from people claiming only to have used saw palmetto...

The other botanicals I've read about showing activity against type II are Sophora flavascens, Thuja occidentalis semen and, apparently, breadfruit.

I couldn't find a source of thuja occidentalis semen or seed extract anywhere. Never looked into breadfruit.

Sophora flavascens is known as Ku Shen in Chinese medicine. Some doctors use it to treat ME patients as an antiviral, due to its matrine content; I'm not sure what dose they use, but presumably a hefty one. Can't find much about side effects. Perhaps oral doses are metabolised differently, or by gut bacteria or whatever...

Below is from http://examine.com/supplements/Sophora+flavescens/

In rat prostate cells, type II 5-alpha-reductase enzyme activity was wholly abolished with incubation of 0.1% Sophora flavescens and was inhibited by 50% with 0.001%.[46] When looking at molecules that appeared to inhibit the 5-AR receptor inherently, the most potent appeared to be norkurarinone and isokurarinone with an inhibitory rate of 51.4-94.2% at 50-200ug/mL and 54.4-97.1% at 50-200mg/mL, although many flavonoid compounds appeared to be inhibitory, especially at 200ug/mL.[4]

In dermal papilla cells, a 50% ethanolic extract of Sophora Flavescens was able to induce IGF-1 and KGF (keratinocyte growth factor) when applied to the b[ack of mice at 0.2mL of 1% Sophora Flavescens for 30 days, and was associated with earlier telogen to anagen phases.[46] In this study, HGF and VEGF were unaffected.[46]

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDivineMarquis Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:22 am

Wasim wrote:Beta sitosterol is supposedly the main active component of saw palmetto. It's also in some other plants too. I think there is evidence of it effecting both the type I and II 5-AR.

If something works as effectively as finasteride, then it will probably cause the same sides. I have seen posts on the Propecia Help forums from people claiming only to have used saw palmetto...

The other botanicals I've read about showing activity against type II are Sophora flavascens, Thuja occidentalis semen and, apparently, breadfruit.

I couldn't find a source of thuja occidentalis semen or seed extract anywhere. Never looked into breadfruit.

Sophora flavascens is known as Ku Shen in Chinese medicine. Some doctors use it to treat ME patients as an antiviral, due to its matrine content; I'm not sure what dose they use, but presumably a hefty one. Can't find much about side effects. Perhaps oral doses are metabolised differently, or by gut bacteria or whatever...

Below is from http://examine.com/supplements/Sophora+flavescens/

In rat prostate cells, type II 5-alpha-reductase enzyme activity was wholly abolished with incubation of 0.1% Sophora flavescens and was inhibited by 50% with 0.001%.[46] When looking at molecules that appeared to inhibit the 5-AR receptor inherently, the most potent appeared to be norkurarinone and isokurarinone with an inhibitory rate of 51.4-94.2% at 50-200ug/mL and 54.4-97.1% at 50-200mg/mL, although many flavonoid compounds appeared to be inhibitory, especially at 200ug/mL.[4]

In dermal papilla cells, a 50% ethanolic extract of Sophora Flavescens was able to induce IGF-1 and KGF (keratinocyte growth factor) when applied to the b[ack of mice at 0.2mL of 1% Sophora Flavescens for 30 days, and was associated with earlier telogen to anagen phases.[46] In this study, HGF and VEGF were unaffected.[46]

Very interesting finding!

Though, couldn´t find any of them for sale...

Personally, I think beta-sitosterol has side-effects. They are milder than fins, but I feel some change in mood, libido, etc. 

Also, its better to keep in mind that its effects on hair take more than 1 year to show themselves - at least, this what I induce from  Widows Peaks experience with it,
TheDivineMarquis
TheDivineMarquis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down