Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Excess sebum  EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Excess sebum  EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Excess sebum  EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Excess sebum  EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Excess sebum  EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Excess sebum  EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Excess sebum  EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Excess sebum  EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Excess sebum  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Excess sebum

+7
missymoo
moby
CausticSymmetry
CF
Nuuu_Dx
AS54
Louise
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Excess sebum  Empty Excess sebum

Post  Louise Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Sorry to ask again. I got new results from doctor. TSH is much better , it dropped form 4 to 2 and T3 and T4 completaly ok.

I know that I loose hairs because the sebum, huge , excess sebum on scalp and face. Acne I have not anymore. From doctores results DHT 1,12 (0,2-0,9) he said , that always when I lost hairs I had DHT higher like that, only little, when hair loss stopped , my DHT was under 0,8. In the past it did itsefl,after stress finished or antiandroegen Diane. I am not 1 year on antiandrogen and dont want to be back.

My question is , how to lower DHT naturally? Because I know my hair loss is only from DHT and sebum, once it stops, then I can go back on Rejuveplex and try to have regrowth. People say also tigling and scalp pain is DHT and sebum.

Is something what i take antiDHT ? Eclonia Cava, A, D3, Curcumin, Resveratrol, EPo,,Krill oil, Maca, Foti? In the past I took B 5 no change. This suplemments I take 10 days, no change yet.

Nothing will help on top, if inside I have higer DHT which make sebum. I need to lower DHT , then sebum will stopp like in past.

Probiotics Ohira I started already.

Drink nettle tea. Saw Palmetto took 2 months, no change.

I dont want back on hormones. Diet I am back on no gluten, no milk, no suger and 1 l green vegetables home made juices. MOrning 3 lemons. Little scalp exercice and also take herbs to clean liver. Started yoga and meditation.

Thank you in advance for your experience.

L.

Louise

Back to top Go down

Excess sebum  Empty Re: Excess sebum

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:39 am

Also I found, I have low SHBG, high end cortizol (I have Aswaghanda) and higher DHT (dont know from what, aldosterone, and testosterone is in middle).

Who will help me to lower DHT and stopp sebum will get gold medaile from me:-))))

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:03 am

For sebum: vitamin A, D, K, E. Get them from an animal source like cod liver oil or fermented cod liver oil. Grass-fed butter is also a good source. Use a natural astringent like witch hazel in the morning and evening and avoid abrasive shampoos. Follow with rejuveplex.

You need to get your thyroid levels checked, and not just TSH, T3 and T4. Iodine, selenium, zinc, and magnesium should help.

Liver is also important here, and liver function is intimately tied to gut function. Check for the threads here on leaky gut, IBS, etc. The protocols listed in these are huge. GAPS diet is a miracle. Nutrients thats are also great for the liver are choline, methionine, B-vitamins, psilymarin.

Avoid food sensitivities (where GAPS comes in) as any gut inflammation will hamper liver function and also hinder bile production. Cycle on different quality probiotics (S boulardi, lactobacillus GG, bifido species) Ensure you have adequate stomach acid, you could take betaine HCL and/or bile salts.

I believe nettle can actually increase free T. I avoid it. Certain sterols in this plant have a high affinity for SHBG, but so long as its just the whole plant you're taking, probably isn't a problem.

So fix the thyroid, heal the gut, clean the liver. This should help raise SHBG. A SERM could also be of service. Make sure you've got the fundamentals down as well: sleep, sun, hydration, adequate caloric intake.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuuu_Dx Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:11 am

What is sebum and how do you know if I have it?

I only ask because I see it mentioned everywhere and have no idea what it actually is!

Nuuu_Dx

Back to top Go down

Post  CF Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:28 am

Topical lithium, cedarwood oil, and soy isoflavones can help with sebum. If lithium is used I recommend using lithium chloride since its soluble in water.

CF

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:45 am

Nuu,

Everyone has sebum. Its a natural secretion of the hair follicle. It provides a protective fat soluble coating to the hair and scalp skin. I say protective, but that's making an assumption. There are a lot of arguments out there for the evolutionary purpose of sebum. In primates, it was a way of getting vitamin D. The vitamin was produced in the sebum in response to sunlight and the animals would then ingest the vitamin when grooming one another. But that obviously hasn't been preserved in humans to any notable degree. It would be interesting to know the vitamin D content of sebum after a certain time of sun exposure though.

Anyway, I'm on a tangent. Over expression of the androgen receptors has been shown to promote hypertrophy of the sebaceous glands and a resulting excess of sebum production. Some men with MPB, especially during the early stages, will note sebum "plugs" on the scalp surface, as well as shed hairs with large plugs on the distal ends.

The fat soluble vitamins, especially A, has been shown to beneficial regulate androgen receptor expression. But you probably want 5,000 to 10,000 IUs from animal source, not beta carotene.

I believe an excess of sebum can augment hair loss, although I am not sure by what exact mechanism. I noticed a very strong correlation between the days when I used to wear hats all the time and the acceleration of hair loss. What was one of the contributing factors? I believe it was the sebum accumulation. I would sometimes not wash my hair for a day or two during this period (I was under the impression using shampoo would increase loss). Well, needless to say between this and the hat wearing, the scalp would become quite greasy. My hairloss has never accelerated so quickly. If you asked me what my thoughts are, I believe the fatty acid content of the sebum is altered in these conditions and commensal bacteria populations (p acnes) proliferate and the products of this fatty acid metabolism promote an immune response. But that's pure speculation.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:04 am

I cannot take soy isoflavonids because thyroid.

I take already vit. A 10000 -1 per day laready 15 days and nothing. I know sebum is higher DHT,but what now?

I did think vit. A, D3 , Curcumin or Eclonia cava lower DHT too

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 am

Louise,

What is the source of vitamin A. Look at the product and check. If its beta carotene, it may be doing you little good. It needs to be animal source, retinol. This is why I like cod liver oil or fermented cod liver oil.

As an alternative, azelaic acid has shown promise at reducing sebum.

As a last resort, there are prescriptions out there that are vitamin A derivatives that are normally acne treatments, but also disrupt sebum production. The safer is tretinoin (Retin-A). The other is isotretinoin (Accutane), although the sides of this latter one can be a burden. I believe the pathology of hairloss and acne in respect to the sebaceous component are similar, so these can be helpful. But do your research. Accutane is not recommended most of the time.

I'd certainly start with animal source vitamin A and azelaic acid and before resorting to prescriptions.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 am

Vitamin A is from fish - cod liver oil.

My problem is DHT, I know, from DHT is the sebum. I cannot work on it only on topical, but internal. But I want children in future, then I cannot take hormones.

I did think lots of men here _ CS , etc...had excess sebum from DHT, and they stopped without hormones. Why I asked how...everybody has diferrent way.

Ecklonia Cava, does it raise or lower androgens and what Curcumin? Shampoo I ordered Dr. Bronner´s Pepermin soap.

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  CF Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 am

Louise wrote:I cannot take soy isoflavonids because thyroid.

I take already vit. A 10000 -1 per day laready 15 days and nothing. I know sebum is higher DHT,but what now?

I did think vit. A, D3 , Curcumin or Eclonia cava lower DHT too

I meant to say topically applied soy isoflavones. Unsure if systemic absorpbtion would be a concern for you, just wanted to clarify.

CF

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 am

Louise - Do you take any iodine? Someone with low SHBG, particularly a women should build up to 100 milligrams per day (start very slowly and gradually). This will raise SHBG levels.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  moby Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:44 pm

is your SHBG still low after "fixing" your thyroid which at TSH=2 is still not good enough. Do you have SHBG numbers from before and after thyroid treatment?

moby

http://stopmpb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:28 pm

My SHGB is before, I will test it again.

I take only from Now FOOD Energy Thyroid - Before I took Lugols´ 2% - 8 drops per day and got hypo the worst ever and huge hair loss - I had TSH 5. And my Naturopath said Lugols does not do good in my situation. I had better reaction to Kelp.

I know 2 or 2, 5 for TSH is not so perfect, but when I had no hair loss, TSH was always like that. Hair loss started when I had 3,8 and more....

BUt CS what with DHT and sebum - internal?
Curcumin lower it or Eclonia Cava or ?

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm

And I forget, I have middle progesteron, but estradiol is in range but like that ( 0,1 - 1,2) I have O,4. When my hair loss was ok,and SHBG higher, it was 0,8 .....I tried soy, but then I had problems with THS. On Diane my SHBG was up too.

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi Louise

Have you ever had a mineral analysis hair test? You could have excess copper/low zinc, or even mercury (do you have silver-coloured fillings?).

Zinc deficiency can result in seborrhoeic dermatitis and other skin problems, including hair loss, too much can also cause hair loss, it's meant to lower DHT when it's at the right level. Heavy metals can also affect your thyroid.

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 pm

My teeths are withut amalgan, this was already removed.

Zinc I dont know, but I take zinc 25 mg already more then half a year. Now I take zinc in Thyroid Energy - in 3 tablets is like 35 mg and also is different zinc Decalcify from TOP 6, I take just one or 2, because then it is too much zinc - this I take just one week.¨¨

Doctor offered me again hormones to lower DHT, but I dont want, I would like to find somethingelse. The Thyroid Energy I take only 16 days, then probably TSH still will go down. But I dont think DHT problem is in thyroid.

I had TSH many times 2,5 and DHT was ok.

I hate realy DHT....any idea? CS and what Curcumin do with Dht?

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 pm

FOR CS:

Also I found on this discussion forum, that D3 increase testosteron then it increase DHT. Why did you then advice to take vit . A together with D3?

will be better to stop D3? I am scared now

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 pm

A TSH of 2.5 isn't optimum by far. I would suggest you have moderate hypothyroidism. Obviously TSH isn't the whole picture though.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 pm

T3 and T4 is ok, antibodies also. From whole panel was:

bad DHT - always like that when is hair loss
TSH 2 before 2,5 on Lugols 5 - when I had no hair loss all my life I had 2,5
cortisol - high end
estradiol - ok by low end
testosteron in middle
aldosteron ok
prolactin midlle
SHBG low end

doctor said, after many years of hair loss off and on - with or withour hormones - the problem is DHT and it make low SHBG and low end estradiol.....

With Diane, THS 2,5, DHT 0,3, SHBG over - no hair loss

Ten years ago when it stopped itslef I took only Menstricare form Himalaya
http://www.iherb.com/Himalaya-Herbal-Healthcare-MenstriCare-60-Veggie-Caps/26612
My TSH was 2,3, DHT O,6, SHBG in middle - no hair loss

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  LawOfThelema Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:30 pm

sebum does not cause baldness. i wouldnt worry about sebum when considering treatments for baldness.

sebum may be a compounding factor for dandruff, and this is the ONLY way sebum could exasperate your balding is by exasperating the inflammation associated with dandruff. and i doubt it would exasperate it by much. but this is part of why nizoral might be useful for those balding. it is a very effective shampoo. reduces sebum output, reduces scaling and skin buildup and inflammation from dandruff and seborrhea. I have used every antiandruff shampoo on the market over the years, it is the best one in my experience.

LawOfThelema

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 am

fatty acids from sebum can inflame the hair producing cells of the papilla. whenever my scalp is greasy it begins to inflame.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  RisingFist Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 am

Try baking soda, seems to work for a lot of people. Mix in ACV

RisingFist

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:57 am

Today I tried baking soda. But I am 16 days on immortal regiment plus Maca, A, D3, Menstricare, Epo, Liv52, Ohira Probiotics, Kepl 800 mcg , Thyroid Energy, Foti, Dr. Bronners shampoo... stil scapl pain and excess sebum

Bud last 3 days I did lugols water rinse.....

I dont know if finaly suplemmetns , or Lugols rinse...but less hair after washing.

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:35 am

Louise,

Very interesting hormonal results. With the exception of my estradiol being high, I am very similar to you in many respects. Higher end cortisol, low SHBG, TSH of around 2.5, and middle of the road prolactin.
I have gotten my T up a little using SERMS, but its still not in the range I'd like it to be.

I agree completely with your observation about the SHBG. It is obviously an important regulator. I also believe strongly that any level of hypothyroidism is harmful and perhaps the biggest worry you should have with regard to hair is the cortisol levels. The glucocorticoids are pretty much sent back in time to kill hair.
Trying to find the connection between these hormone levels has been my goal for almost a year now and its truly difficult. But in my case, estrogen and thyroid hormones are certainly huge players. Getting the liver and the thyroid healthy (and I'll mention the gut because you can't do the former without the latter) is probably one of the most important things you can do from a hollistic standpoint to deal with low SHBG.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Louise Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm

And what do you do for healthy thyroid and liver?

Can somebody chechk this?

I take for liver: Liv52 , dandelion root tea
for thyroid : Thyroid Energy, Kelp 800 mcg - want to increase, from Lugol´s I am sill scared, is somebody successful even just with Kelp?
estrogen: Mentsricare, Maca (maca by men increase testosteron, by women they say estrogens, - I hope so, I dont know)
for DHT: A, D3, Curcumin, Resveratrol, Krill oil, Evening primrose oil, Flax seed oil
for hair : headstand 2x 15 min every day, scalp exercise 15 min, scalp massage - moving with scalp - 2x 4- 5 min, FOti, MSM, vit. C, Decalcify IH
anticandida diet, Ohira Probiotics2x a day
evening visualization and relaxation

no gluten, no suger, no milk and diary products, 1l vegetable fresh juice - fenel, carrot, parsley, celery, ice sadat, cabbage - 2 kg of vegetables is 1l of juice

with big food - R-Lipolic Acid, with small cinnamon

I am sorry for english

Shampoo: Dr. Bronners Pepermin, baking soda
new Regenepure - changed before Revita
Avalon organic thick Biotin shampoo

1x a day rinse with Lugol or ACV
after everyday I have to wash my hair -rinse from nettle , rosamary, burdock tea:_)))

CS advised green tea - to make higher SHBG
Aswaghanda for lower cortisol -only sometimes, because in Thyroid Energy is also 100mg which I have everyday:-)

So much things, miracle has to happend....300 dollars per 2 months......hope it will help

In cabinet is waiting Rejuveplex and Neogenic from Vichy. Because scalp pain, I am waiting with this.

Every morning also I have juice from 2 fresh lemons. During day nettle tea or mint tea.

Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next