Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyToday at 12:44 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

» Sorry if brought up before but: Best topical to help aid in breaking up fibrosis?
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:51 am by Hoppipolla

» solar eclipse on april 8
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am by shaftless

» Role and Mechanisms of Phytochemicals in Hair Growth and Health
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 4:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» IH Regimen
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm by CF

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am by MikeGore

» Difficulty Swallowing During Sleep
Beginning my oil pulling journey EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 2:57 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Beginning my oil pulling journey

+35
TrueGround
Orchid
duel_black
RisingFist
theseeker86
jeruslan
MilBA
Espio
Silverlin
goten574
JeetKuneDo
whodathunkit
bh2o
Delphine
mike78
Prague
thissucks
LooseGroove
CausticSymmetry
Mastery
sdguy
Yanks
hapyman
phoenix21
hadrion
scottyc33
TexasMedicine
imprisoned-radical
9rugrats5
dadon
pancacke
Quisque
Columbo
Smurfy
Hairbeback
39 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Beginning my oil pulling journey Empty Beginning my oil pulling journey

Post  Hairbeback Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey everybody, going to begin and order my oil later today for oil pulling and was wondering which oil is the best two use. I heard the two best are sunflower oil or seasame seed oil? I was wondering which is better out of the two. Also has anyone had good experience with oil pulling. And what website can I order these organic cold pressed oils at? Thanks guys for any input.

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Beginning my oil pulling journey Empty Re: Beginning my oil pulling journey

Post  Smurfy Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I've just finished oil pulling for one straight month, 15-20 minutes, everyday. Originally I started with vegetable/canola oil, and that was a huge mistake. I had unexplained depression and chest aches within the first few days. Then I bought sesame oil from a regular supermarket (making sure it was virgin cold pressed of course), which is fantastic stuff. Tastes great, and recommend it as your oil of choice. Wish I had a microscope to see what kind of things its collecting though, cause you have to assume it's "doing its job".

Overall it makes my breath fresher, and if you brush your teeth after using it, it's a clean like you've never felt. Also you may find you sleep better and deeper.

I may give sunflower oil a try at some point, but I'm really happy with how sesame oil performs and tastes.

Hope this helps
Smurfy
Smurfy

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 pm

I just started OP this last week. (I read it helps remove teeth tartar and helps with keratosis pilaris, both of which I have)

Tried with olive oil for couple of days then switched to sesame which is much nicer to swish around, nice taste.

Early days yet, nothing exciting to report. Though when I brush my teeth at night my tongue looks super clean, pink and healthy (rather than coated in gunk)
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Quisque Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:10 am

I agree with guys above, sesame oil is amazing stuff.

BTW after 30 days of OP I can not report any fantastic results, but my teeth are whiter and feels healthier.

Quisque

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 am

Smurfy wrote:Then I bought sesame oil from a regular supermarket (making sure it was virgin cold pressed of course)
I think you need refined oil, but not 100% sure...

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:25 am

Yeah i want to make sure I get the right oil. Not sure yet...

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  dadon Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 am

so whats the science behind that method. i read that its supposed to pull toxins out of your blood. how does that work? would coconutoil work too?

dadon

Back to top Go down

Post  Smurfy Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:53 am

pancacke wrote:
Smurfy wrote:Then I bought sesame oil from a regular supermarket (making sure it was virgin cold pressed of course)

Well I double-checked the bottle and it is indeed unrefined, but I feel it really works. In your opinion, what's the hypothetical difference between using refined and unrefined?

dadon wrote:so whats the science behind that method. i read that its supposed to pull toxins out of your blood. how does that work? would coconutoil work too?

I have read two theories: it grabs toxins that are released through the tiny capillaries and saliva glands, OR that the oil content actually enters the bloodstream via the same channels (mainly sublingually), and it's the fatty acid detoxing the blood that makes you feel better.

I used coconut oil for a few days only, so I don't know. However polyunsaturates are preferred (why I don't know; perhaps a stronger affinity)
Smurfy
Smurfy

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:36 am

Smurfy wrote:
pancacke wrote:

Well I double-checked the bottle and it is indeed unrefined, but I feel it really works. In your opinion, what's the hypothetical difference between using refined and unrefined?
Refined oil has more room for toxins as the additional compounds you have in unrefined are absent. I could have sworn I read it on oilpulling.com but they say to go for cold pressed before refined...

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:51 am

Ok this is confusing I want to order some oil, but they have unrefined, cold pressed seasame oil.

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:03 am

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at all the confusion. The information is readily among the first few links on google.

Now, oil pulling comes from the Indian tradition. Sesame is the one recommended for the purpose. I also see sunflower oil recommended at websites. These two should be the best.

Next step. What 'type' of sesame oil? Do you really want to put heat treated, bleached, refined oil in your mouth the first thing in the morning? Especially when the whole plan is to pull out toxins? Nope. Correct answer=> organic, cold pressed, unrefined. As far as available and affordable.

Now, I do this occasionally. It's really good for oral health, that much I can tell. Also, some time after I'm done with the oil pulling, I get a small burp, that smells of the nutty oil (sorry for the graphics, but they were needed). I'm sure the taste is not from the oral cavity, so it seems the oil is absorbed via the oral cavity and somehow does reach the digestive organs, and probably does something good there.

Also, an important part of the oil swishing is to do it in a relaxed and easy way. In ayurveda, oil treatments serve as 'sneha', that is, ayurveda believes that oils and fats provide the 'starved' body tissues with 'love' in the sense of destressing them. That is why there are many kinds of oil treatments and massages in ayurveda that many agree help in healing.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 am

Now, I do this occasionally. It's really good for oral health, that much I can tell. Also, some time after I'm done with the oil pulling, I get a small burp, that smells of the nutty oil (sorry for the graphics, but they were needed). I'm sure the taste is not from the oral cavity, so it seems the oil is absorbed via the oral cavity and somehow does reach the digestive organs, and probably does something good there.

I haven't seen any scientific documentation behind oil pulling, but here's some speculation:

CS has mentioned a couple times that oral pathology is a huge cause of disease. Pathogenic bacteria infect various crevices in the mouth and release toxins which then enter circulation. Supposedly these toxins can have immunosuppressive effects.

Perhaps the toxins are fat-soluble, and thus are absorbed by the oil while swishing it around in the mouth.

Has anybody had any positive results hair-wise from oil pulling?

Also, an important part of the oil swishing is to do it in a relaxed and easy way. In ayurveda, oil treatments serve as 'sneha', that is, ayurveda believes that oils and fats provide the 'starved' body tissues with 'love' in the sense of destressing them. That is why there are many kinds of oil treatments and massages in ayurveda that many agree help in healing.

I remember some of my relatives talking about the benefits of rubbing sesame oil on the skin.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  Smurfy Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 am

Hey 9r5,

Have you found that oil pulling has improved your digestion? For me it has, I'm curious to see if a fellow puller noticed that too. I tend to agree with the theory that it's absorbed, and that unrefined is good.

Oil pulling along with adaptogens has given me such a rush of energy, it's great!
Smurfy
Smurfy

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 am

IR, I concur with your explanation. In addition, in my observation, the oil is also absorbed into the digestive tract. In ayurveda, sesame oil is the one most recommend for skin and massages. However, it seems that in cases of sicknesses and fevers, castor oil is the only oil 'allowed' for massaging or packs. At least that's what one of the books says.

Smurfy, I am not regular with this, so I can't comment on whether it improves digestion. It's possible. It certainly does not hamper digestion, in my limited experience. I too think this has a lot of potential, especially in the long term health.

Quoting from here-
http://distantroots.com/panchakarma/snehana-oleation/

Snehan means oleation therapy. Now, what it exactly means?
“Snehan sneh vishyanda mardav kledkarkam” – (CS 22/Cool
The process which creates snehan (oleation), vishyanda (liquification of deeply embedded impure doshas) mardav (softens) kleda formation (increase in the toxin quantity) is called snehana.

This is one of the purposes of snehana using oils, the other is to calm distressed tissue.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:56 am

A little oil get's absorbed but that's not the point. The oil is in contact with the blood that flows through your mouth....the walls are pretty thin. Toxins bind to the fat, the swishing replaces toxinloaded oil and new bloodflow provides more toxins to kick out.
That's the reason you have to spit out the collected oil and also why it changes color.....clay as a topical works very similar.

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:26 am

Anyone have any tips of what brand I should get? Thinking about getting Edens "traditionally pressed, organic unrefined seasame oil off iherb. Says the bottle is flushed with nitrogen though what does that mean?

It is simply pressed from Eden select seed and lightly filtered retaining sesame's full aroma and flavor. Contains the revered antioxidants sesamol and sesamin. Nitrogen flushed when bottled.

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:04 pm

?

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Best info I've seen on OP, mainly related to dental health: http://www.jonbarron.org/detox/nl110404/oil-pulling-strong-immunity

It highlights three studies:

HV Amith, Anil V Ankola, L Nagesh. Effect of Oil Pulling on Plaque and Gingivitis. Journal of Oral Health & Community Dentistry: 2007 ;1(1):Pages 12-18 http://www.johcd.org/pdf/Effect_of_Oil_Pulling_on_Plaque_and_Gingivitis.pdf

S Asokan, J Rathan, MS Muthu, PV Rathna, P Emmadi, Raghuraman, Chamundeswari. Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study. Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry. 26(1):12-7, 2008 Mar. < http://www.jisppd.com/article.asp?issn=0970-4388;year=2008;volume=26;issue=1;spage=12;epage=17;aulast=Asokan >

TD Anand, C Pothiraj, RM Gopinath, et al. Effect of oil-pulling on dental caries causing bacteria. African Journal of Microbiology Research, Vol 2:3 pp 63-66, MAR 2008. < TD Anand, C Pothiraj, RM Gopinath, et al. Effect of oil-pulling on dental caries causing bacteria>

Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:44 am

A good article, maybe with a bias against human sacrifice! Very Happy . Most of the article is preoccupied with whether toxins are actually pulled out or only the oral bacteria and related toxins. Imho, it's just splitting hairs. Maybe we could just say, it detoxifies the mouth?

In any case, CS also proposes that oral health is critical for maintaining good health, and so does this guy. All in all, oil pulling, or oil swishing, as the writer insists, seems to be a good idea.

9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks alot rugrats and everybody else, interesting websites....i'm going to order my oil today!

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasMedicine Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:12 pm

I tried oil pulling for a period of 3 months but stopped about a month ago, my teeth are just as weak and I feel just as fatigued and toxic as ever. Granted I was using Crisco brand Sunflower Oil which is not refrigerated or cold-pressed and comes in a transparent plastic bottle, but surely there should have been some minor difference at least?

TexasMedicine

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:43 am

So anyone with oil pulling experience how do you rinse after you're done spitting the oil? I was thinking about using a salt water rinse and brushing my teeth. I dont use toothpaste though I have one of those dr tungs brushes that build up saliva.

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  Smurfy Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 am

Hairbeback wrote:So anyone with oil pulling experience how do you rinse after you're done spitting the oil? I was thinking about using a salt water rinse and brushing my teeth. I dont use toothpaste though I have one of those dr tungs brushes that build up saliva.

I use half a cup of spring water and swish n' spit 5 or 6 times, as well as gargle. Then I brush afterward if I feel like it.
Smurfy
Smurfy

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Hairbeback wrote:So anyone with oil pulling experience how do you rinse after you're done spitting the oil? I was thinking about using a salt water rinse and brushing my teeth. I dont use toothpaste though I have one of those dr tungs brushes that build up saliva.

Will rinse with water a few times, then brush. Sometimes I will rinse with 3% hydrogen peroxide too (just dont do it every day).

Ecklonia Cava
Krill Oil
Decalcify
Rejuvaplex Topical

Other
Ubiquinol
ALCAR
Liv 52
Iodine
Ashwagandha

SUPERFOODS: Energy First and Sun Warrior Protein, Dessicated Liver, Concentrace, Colostrum, Brewers Yeast, Fermented Cod Liver & High Vitamin Butter Oil

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:24 am

I've been oil pulling with extra virgin coconut oil for about a week. The initial things I'm finding is post pulling I'm starting my day calmer and more clear headed than usual. My mouth is in fantastic condition. Teeth are much whiter than a week ago.

About a week ago I was flossing and my gums were bleeding from the flossing.

I started brushing my gums with himalayan crystal salt 1 day and then vitamin C crystals the next day while oil pulling for 20 mins with the coconut oil when I woke up.

In 48 hours my gums stopped bleeding and my oral health has been perfect. The brushing w/salt & vitamin C powder removed tartar and plaque off my teeth and the oil pulling has removed particles of stuff that was lodged in my teeth that flossing was not getting out. CS advocated brushing with salt to kill gum disease bacteria in another thread so I figured I'd try that first when I saw my gums were bleeding. I tried the vit C powder off of something I read in an iherb review about a person being told by their dentist to brush their gums with the powder to fight gingivitis.

The interesting thing about the oil pulling is it is somehow acting as a skin moisturizer. After pulling in the morning my skin feels like I just applied moisturizer on it even though I haven't. Pretty cool stuff.

It's easy to do first thing in the morning although it drives my dog crazy since I don't talk to him while I'm swishing oil around in my mouth.

If you're having any kind of tooth/mouth issues you should try it and see how it makes your mouth/teeth feel. In my case, it's helped a lot fast.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next