Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

"the fat you eat is the fat you wear"

+17
thissucks
KAPTUNKRUNK
Nocturnalhorse
LA-Night
Mr. Clean
zerx
Gibson
Directo
TheFunkyStumpfighter
tonyj
scottyc33
CausticSymmetry
misterE
MAO
blackjack
zanza
21 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 Empty Re: "the fat you eat is the fat you wear"

Post  Mr. Clean Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/190061_obesity09.html

"We didn't have enough to really go shopping, so we'd go to McDonald's," she said. "We just got junk food because it was so much cheaper and it was filling and it tastes good."

While obesity rates are climbing among all ages, races and incomes, evidence shows that the poor are more likely to weigh too much than wealthier Americans.

Mr. Clean
Mr. Clean

Back to top Go down

"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 Empty Re: "the fat you eat is the fat you wear"

Post  Mr. Clean Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Greasy burgers will definitely add some flab, and don't say it is becauase of the carby bun Razz

"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 1273783213425
Mr. Clean
Mr. Clean

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 am

The other day, on a similar meal – 6 ounce hamburger patty (73% lean, which is extremely fatty) with heavily-buttered mashed potatoes and spinach cooked in bacon grease I had only reached 91 mg/dl at the 1-hour post-meal mark.

The highest test I’ve had was a 114 mg/dl test after gobbling up 3 big slices of pepperoni pizza (refined carbohydrate, hint hint).
http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/search?q=hamburger

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 am

Mr.clean you really couldn't be more wrong to say hamburgers will increase flab.

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  LA-Night Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:39 am

I've had a similar experience as blackjack.

Today, it's tough to completely avoid processed food. I'll say this, though: if I eat greasy pizza, I feel worse than if I eat a hamburger. Granted, I rarely eat fast food but when I do, I just avoid the fries & soda. I usually skip the cheese, too.

LA-Night

Back to top Go down

"the fat you eat is the fat you wear" - Page 4 Empty Processed food has more to do with obesity than fat or carbohydrate

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 am

I do the same as LA Night. I eat a lot of hamburgers (without the cheese, drink and fries).

Here's a couple recent studies in regards to low fat verses higher fat (as if we didn't already have enough proof already that fat doesn't make us fat).

Ann Intern Med. 2010 Aug 3;153(3):147-57.
Weight and metabolic outcomes after 2 years on a low-carbohydrate versus low-fat diet: a randomized trial.
Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, Makris AP, Rosenbaum DL, Brill C, Stein RI, Mohammed BS, Miller B, Rader DJ, Zemel B, Wadden TA, Tenhave T, Newcomb CW, Klein S.

Center for Obesity Research and Education, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA. gfoster@temple.edu
Comment in:

Ann Intern Med. 2010 Aug 3;153(3):I35.

BACKGROUND: Previous studies comparing low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets have not included a comprehensive behavioral treatment, resulting in suboptimal weight loss.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effects of 2-year treatment with a low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet, each of which was combined with a comprehensive lifestyle modification program.

DESIGN: Randomized parallel-group trial. (ClinicalTrials.gov registration number: NCT00143936)

SETTING: 3 academic medical centers.

PATIENTS: 307 participants with a mean age of 45.5 years (SD, 9.7 years) and mean body mass index of 36.1 kg/m(2) (SD, 3.5 kg/m(2)).

INTERVENTION: A low-carbohydrate diet, which consisted of limited carbohydrate intake (20 g/d for 3 months) in the form of low-glycemic index vegetables with unrestricted consumption of fat and protein. After 3 months, participants in the low-carbohydrate diet group increased their carbohydrate intake (5 g/d per wk) until a stable and desired weight was achieved. A low-fat diet consisted of limited energy intake (1200 to 1800 kcal/d; <or=30% calories from fat). Both diets were combined with comprehensive behavioral treatment.

MEASUREMENTS: Weight at 2 years was the primary outcome. Secondary measures included weight at 3, 6, and 12 months and serum lipid concentrations, blood pressure, urinary ketones, symptoms, bone mineral density, and body composition throughout the study.

RESULTS: Weight loss was approximately 11 kg (11%) at 1 year and 7 kg (7%) at 2 years. There were no differences in weight, body composition, or bone mineral density between the groups at any time point. During the first 6 months, the low-carbohydrate diet group had greater reductions in diastolic blood pressure, triglyceride levels, and very-low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, lesser reductions in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, and more adverse symptoms than did the low-fat diet group. The low-carbohydrate diet group had greater increases in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels at all time points, approximating a 23% increase at 2 years.

LIMITATION: Intensive behavioral treatment was provided, patients with dyslipidemia and diabetes were excluded, and attrition at 2 years was high.

CONCLUSION: Successful weight loss can be achieved with either a low-fat or low-carbohydrate diet when coupled with behavioral treatment. A low-carbohydrate diet is associated with favorable changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors at 2 years.

PRIMARY FUNDING SOURCE: National Institutes of Health.

J Pediatr. 2010 Aug;157(2):252-8. Epub 2010 Mar 20.
Efficacy and safety of a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for weight loss in severely obese adolescents.
Krebs NF, Gao D, Gralla J, Collins JS, Johnson SL.

Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA. nancy.krebs@ucdenver.edu
Comment in:

J Pediatr. 2010 Aug;157(2):184-5.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and safety of a carbohydrate restricted versus a low fat diet on weight loss, metabolic markers, body composition, and cardiac function tests in severely obese adolescents.

STUDY DESIGN: Subjects were randomly assigned to 1 of 2 diets: a high protein, low carbohydrate (20 g/d) diet (high protein, low carbohydrate, HPLC) or low fat (30% of calories) regimen for 13 weeks; close monitoring was maintained to evaluate safety. After the intervention, no clinical contact was made until follow-up measurements were obtained at 24 and 36 weeks from baseline. The primary outcome was change in body mass index Z-score for age and sex (BMI-Z) at 13, 24, and 36 weeks.

RESULTS: Forty-six subjects (24 HPLC, 22 in low fat) initiated and 33 subjects completed the intervention; follow-up data were available on approximately half of the subjects. Significant reduction in (BMI-Z) was achieved in both groups during intervention and was significantly greater for the HPLC group (P = .03). Both groups maintained significant BMI-Z reduction at follow-up; changes were not significantly different between groups. Loss of lean body mass was not spared in the HPLC group. No serious adverse effects were observed related to metabolic profiles, cardiac function, or subjective complaints.

CONCLUSIONS: The HPLC diet is a safe and effective option for medically supervised weight loss in severely obese adolescents.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:08 am

CausticSymmetry wrote: (as if we didn't already have enough proof already that fat doesn't make us fat).

It might not make you obese, give you a gut or double-chin, but the fat you eat is stored as body-fat!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:10 am

misterE - Evidence my ass

Show me some new studies that are from 2010

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:misterE - Evidence my ass

I agree with CS, objectively too I should add.

There's a monstrous amount of information being compiled on this site and many others now that go far and beyond the very simplistic, mechanistic dogma you spout, it's not as simple as you spell it out to be, the inner terrain of your body has as much or more to do with fat storage as what you eat in a lot of cases.

But in saying that I shouldn't argue with you, if you've got enough naivety then your answer is perfect for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:misterE - Evidence my ass

A new study does not mean all previous studies are obsolete.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnalhorse Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:22 am

I have fatty cuts of meat, chicken with skin etc all this cooked in lard, butter, coconut oil or bacon grease. On the basis of this I would have been a whale by now. I weigh 145 pounds of lean muscle at 7-8% bf hard as a rock. When pigging out once in a while I generally just have a couple of beef patties wrapped in lettuce leaf minus the bun, colas and fries.
Nocturnalhorse
Nocturnalhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:27 am

Nocturnalhorse wrote:I have fatty cuts of meat, chicken with skin etc all this cooked in lard, butter, coconut oil or bacon grease. On the basis of this I would have been a whale by now. I weigh 145 pounds of lean muscle at 7-8% bf hard as a rock. When pigging out once in a while I generally just have a couple of beef patties wrapped in lettuce leaf minus the bun, colas and fries.

Fat can accumulate "invisibly" this type of fat is called visceral-fat and it accumulates inside the muscles, in the veins and around organs.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:31 am

misterE - Visceral fat loss occurs to a larger extent with exercise. The role of diet is somewhat minimal in this regard.

Yes, I agree that old studies do not always equate to something being obsolete.

However, in cases where bias and poor study design were the driving forces, a newer study would be important. Also, there are a slew of newer studies that disprove the fat makes one fat hypothesis.

In several studies, researchers found that regardless of diet composition in terms of carbohydrate, protein and fat ratios, there was an equal weight loss.

Moreover, those with metabolic syndrome actually benefited more from a low carb, high fat diet.

My personal take on diet is that different people perform optimally on different diets. This has been shown with respect to blood chemistry.

Nocturnalhorse makes a great point I think, and since I eat a very similar diet I have also experienced the same thing. And I might point out that it helps retain lean muscle mass while keeping the excess fat off.

In the days when I ate a mostly raw vegan diet, I looked emaciated (concentration camp appearance), lacked energy, etc.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:46 am

MisterE - this is for you. Also, if you're still convinced that a pH problems are caused by eating meat keep it to yourself, I have heard this argument and I have spent three years testing it on myself, the results were a far more acidic body than when I started - More fatigue, more hair thinning, more weight gain, more sickness. It's NOT a diet problem, CS will agree here and can show you enough evidence, if treating acidosis by not eating acidic foods were possible, none of this debate would even have happened, because we'd all be vegetarian with no health troubles. On risk of asking a lot of you, I'll request that you put your lack of objectivity on a shelf for this.

The human body is very intelligent. As we become more and more acidic the body starts to set up defense mechanisms to keep the damaging acid from entering our vital organs. It is known that acid gets stored in fat cells. After all, if the acid does come into contact with an organ the acid has a chance to eat holes in the tissue. This may cause the cells to mutate. The oxygen level drops in this acidic environment and calcium begins to be depleted.
So as a defense mechanism, your body may actually make fat to protect you from your overly-acidic self. Those fat cells and cellulite deposits may actually be packing up the acid and trying to keep it a safe distance from your organs. The fat may be saving your vital organs from damage. Many people have found that a return to a healthy inner biological terrain helps them to lose excess fat.

Weight Gain, Diabetes and Obesity
An acid pH has considerable influence over the majority of weight problems, including Diabetes and Obesity. It seems that a habitually acid pH can directly cause immediate weight gain. Here's what happens when a system is too acid. A condition known as Insulin Sensitivity or Syndrome X results, which forces too much insulin to be produced, and the body is flooded with insulin so that it won't waste any calories, it diligently converts every calorie it can into fat.

It is thought that an acid pH immediately signals the powerful genetic response to an impending famine, directly interacting with the all important and very sensitive, Insulin- Glucagons Axis. This makes the body produce more insulin than usual, and in turn, produce more fat and store it. In general, the more insulin is available to the body, the higher the probability that fat will be produced and stored, rather than used and burned as energy.

Thus, an acid pH will probably alert the genetic response to famine, directing more insulin to be produced and storing more fat than usual. Conversely, a healthy, slightly alkaline pH, will be more likely to yield normal fat burning metabolic activity, making no demands on the body to overly produce insulin and make fat, allowing fat-weight to be burned and naturally lost. And, with a healthy pH, there's less likely to be any yo-yo effect, or rebounding from a diet with additional weight gain. As long as nutritional stores are maintained, a healthy, slightly alkaline pH allows fat to burn normally for energy, rather than being hoarded under the mistaken biochemical belief of an impending famine.

With increased pressure to produce insulin under the worst conditions, beta cells lose phase with one another, cellular communication is thwarted and the Immune System begins to over-respond. Stress within the cells increases, making it difficult for them to perform adequately, and further, survive. In a very real sense, they simply burn out! Acidosis is thus thought an important yet often underestimated precursor to Diabetes Mellitus. Interestingly, before the advent of synthetic insulin, diabetes was treated historically by buffering the system with base or alkaline causing powders.

4. Causes Cholesterol Plaque to Form
LDL-Cholesterol is laid down at an accelerated rate within an acid chemical environment of the cardiovascular system, inappropriately lining the vascular network, and clogging up the works! The amount of cholesterol in the diet has not been found to be a major factor in cholesterol plaque formation. Rather, pH status appears to be the factor more directly involved, binding cholesterol with heavy metals and other cellular debris.

5. Disrupts Blood Pressure
With acidosis, (pH<7.20) arteries become dilated. Yet, severe lowering of blood pH also causes persistent venous vasoconstriction (a disease in the caliber of blood vessels). When this happens, peripheral blood is shifted more centrally: the more acidic the patient, the greater the fractional redistribution of blood to the central vessels. This central redistribution of blood adds to the heart's workload when its contractibility is compromised.

6. Disrupts Critical Lipid and Fatty Acid Metabolism
Acidosis disrupts general lipid and fatty acid metabolism within the body. Fatty acids are intimately involved in nerve and brain function. When fatty acid metabolism is disturbed, neurological problems may arise including Multiple Sclerosis, Macular Degeneration and others, as well as problems with hormonal balance within the endocrine system.

7. Inhibits Metabolism of Stored Energy Reserves
An acid pH inhibits efficient cellular and body metabolism. Acidosis causes chemical ionic disturbances, interfering with cellular communications and functions. Acidosis reduces Ca (calcium) binding of plasma proteins, reducing the effectiveness of this intracellular signal. Acidosis also leads to a disease of calcium cations (positive Ca) entry through positive Ca channels, resulting in reduction of cardiac contractibility, or the ability of the heart to pump efficiently and rhythmically.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:00 am

4039 wrote:

Incidentally, as we age, our stomachs becomes more alkaline, while our bodies acidify. We need to reverse this process to maintain good health.

Couldn't agree more.

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:05 am

Average McDonald's meal = Big Mac 570 calories + Supersized Fries 610 calories + Supersized Coke 510 calories + Cinnamon Melts 460 calories = 2150 calories for one meal or well above average person's complete daily caloric sufficiency for an entire day.

The reason why people get overweight and bloated on burger joint food is only because they eat calorically dense, highly processed foods (high carb, high sodium) bereft nutritionally of fiber, vitamins and minerals.

The (simpler said than done) anecdote to efficiently losing adipose: take in less calorically than you expend and perform high intensity interval training (HIIT.)

Otherwise, the fat you overeat, in the form of refined carbs and sugars, is the fat you store until you die. I only worry about fat and cholesterol if it is oxidized and above my recommended daily caloric intake.

Incidentally, as we age, our stomachs becomes more alkaline, while our bodies acidify. We need to reverse this process to maintain good health.

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:29 am