Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Sourdough bread EmptyToday at 8:05 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
Sourdough bread EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Sourdough bread EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Sourdough bread EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Sourdough bread EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Sourdough bread EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Sourdough bread EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Sourdough bread EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Sourdough bread EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Sourdough bread

+6
kijumn
scottyc33
tooyoung
CausticSymmetry
Prague
Fibonacci
10 posters

Go down

Sourdough bread Empty Sourdough bread

Post  Fibonacci Mon May 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Can anybody tell me if sourdough bread is ok to eat? They make it at my local supermarket and I have read some good things about it. I want to cut grains out completely but love bread so much, its a tough one. My other weakness is chocolate and white wine. My store sells chocolate sweetened with malitol and lactitol. I also want to quit sugar and wonder if these substitutes are ok. Not sure if I can quit the white wine though. IH, if I have to have some alcohol is there a suggested drink that is the least evil for hair?
Thanks

Fibonacci

Back to top Go down

Sourdough bread Empty Re: Sourdough bread

Post  Prague Tue May 19, 2009 3:16 am

Cider and red wine

Prague

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue May 19, 2009 4:08 am

Fibonacci - Sourdough Bread is A-OK. If it's made right, it doesn't use yeast to make it and I love the stuff myself and so this one of the few breads that can be eaten with no negative consequences.

As far as chocolate goes, the darker the chocolate or rather the higher percentage of cocoa it contains it will actually lower your blood sugar. Personally I like the taste of milk chocolate which is usually less than 40% cocoa but it's not as guilt-free as darker chocolate.

Some foods you can get away with better than others, for example chocolate has no negative effects at least me so I will eat it once in a while without reservation. But if you happen to like the darker variety there is no guilt whatsoever. The polyphenols in the chocolate are responsible for leveling the sugar out.

I recommend sticking with chocolate sweetened with sugar instead of malitol and lactitol. The reason is that malitol and lactitol will churn the stomach if you eat more than just a small square or two. Those sugar alcohols are very hard on the digestive system.

I'm not sure about the alcohol, it depends on how it effects you but since it can have a strong effect on the intestinal flora. A probiotic maybe necessary for this one, but see ow your skin is effected after a few days with and without it.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Fibonacci Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks IH. Good news about the dark chocolate. I tend to binge drink once or twice per week, so I will try the probiotics before I go out at weekends. Prague, I assume red wine is for resveratrol and cider because there is no wheat/barley? Magners( an Irish brand) now make a pear cider which sounds interesting.
Cheers
Fib

Fibonacci

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 am

Can anyone confirm that cider doesn't have negative effects on hair loss? Might start drinking it. Anyone got any names or where to buy the pro biotics from?

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Fibonacci Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 am

Oh dear. Alcohol is number 1 in the list of bad mycotoxins! IH, does that mean that we really have to abstain from alcohol if we are MPB susceptible? I was hoping that there would be a drink that isnt too bad but it seems that anythng with alcohol in it is a no no. What a bummer!

Fibonacci

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed May 20, 2009 2:19 am

Fibonacci - Honestly, it's hard to say about alcohol and maybe we should make a thread on this. I find there are different trigger or negative foods for everybody so alcohol might not be everybody's poison. The form that it takes would make a difference I'm sure.

For example Kombucha tea contains some alcohol, although not much but it is quite healthy.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 am

Thinking about it, my hairloss or at least my noticing of hairloss has happened since I've started drinking regularly. I'm in a bit of a dodgy situation though, I've got generalised hyperhidrosis which basically means I sweat all over my body more compared to a normal person. When I drink alcohol it reduces the amount I sweat and at parties which can often be hot and uncomfortable, when I drink I can feel like a normal person. If I don't drink I'll sweat a lot and things wont be good.

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed May 20, 2009 8:49 pm

tooyoung - It's an interesting angle worth looking into, the stress induced hyperhidrosis one that is. Perhaps there are other things than alcohol that may help it. If I run into anything I'll post it.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyc33 Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:49 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:Fibonacci - Sourdough Bread is A-OK. If it's made right, it doesn't use yeast to make it and I love the stuff myself and so this one of the few breads that can be eaten with no negative consequences.

As far as chocolate goes, the darker the chocolate or rather the higher percentage of cocoa it contains it will actually lower your blood sugar. Personally I like the taste of milk chocolate which is usually less than 40% cocoa but it's not as guilt-free as darker chocolate.

Some foods you can get away with better than others, for example chocolate has no negative effects at least me so I will eat it once in a while without reservation. But if you happen to like the darker variety there is no guilt whatsoever. The polyphenols in the chocolate are responsible for leveling the sugar out.

I recommend sticking with chocolate sweetened with sugar instead of malitol and lactitol. The reason is that malitol and lactitol will churn the stomach if you eat more than just a small square or two. Those sugar alcohols are very hard on the digestive system.

I'm not sure about the alcohol, it depends on how it effects you but since it can have a strong effect on the intestinal flora. A probiotic maybe necessary for this one, but see ow your skin is effected after a few days with and without it.

CS - what sourdough bread do you eat?

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:54 pm

scottyc33 - I usually order it as restaurants when it is available.

Anyone know of a good brand at the store?
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Does sourdough bread contain gluten?

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

1..... - Yes it does contain gluten, however the way it is made (with lactic acid) counteracts the blood sugar/insulin rise. If one is gluten sensitive it should be avoided. In my case, I can eat it without any ill effects.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/125/6/1503.pdf

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:23 am

It depends. "Some" sourdough breads are fine if all you have is a gluten sensitivity. Only way to know IME is to try and see if you get a reaction or how you feel. I personally avoid.

A quote

"The sourdough fermented breads lost about ninety percent of the added gluten, placing the contaminant level low enough to be safe even for those with celiac disease (below 20 ppm). "

http://www.gofrolic.org/gofrolic/food_blog/Entries/2008/11/22_Sourdough%2C_Gluten_and_Weston_Price.html

"There is a fascinating paper on sourdough and celiac disease. Italian and Irish researchers have found that some lactobacilli bacteria in sourdough can digest and modify the gluten proteins in flour to the extent that a person with celiac disease may be able to eat them without ill effect."

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/sourdough.html
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 am

The problem with store-bought or even bakery sourdough is that it is not really authentic.. they sometimes add fresh flour to it just before backing .. and they use wheat flour .. if asked is it gluten free they all say no, the knowledgeable ones may explain that it didnt rise long enough or they added fresh flour before backing, some even add gluten to it!

I am embarking on an experiment today to make gluten-free, wheat-free, and yeast-free bread..

how you ask?

I am using buckwheat flour + kefir to make -> buckwheat kefir sourdough bread!

this kind of bread should be the best bread IMO .. i dont know how it would taste, we will see. I need to let it rise for 24 hrs first. I will report back tomorrow night.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  Trace Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:43 am

That,s true teacup. We put gluten in our sourdough when I worked at a bakery.
Trace
Trace

Back to top Go down

Post  FW2000 Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:23 am

What does everyone think of this Berlin Bakery Sourdough Spelt bread. I eat it almost everyday and it tastes really good.

Link to product:
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/209683/Berlin-Natural-Bakery-Sourdough-Spelt-Bread-24-Ounce.htm

Link to compaby website:
http://www.berlinnaturalbakery.com/index.html

FW2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Olivier89 Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:05 am

The most healthiest bread i know is the "Essene" Bread. It's made of germinated grains, it has a low glycemic index (35), its tasty, satiating and high-energy. I find it in Organic stores.

Olivier89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down