Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
The best herb for hair EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
The best herb for hair EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
The best herb for hair EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
The best herb for hair EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
The best herb for hair EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
The best herb for hair EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
The best herb for hair EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
The best herb for hair EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
The best herb for hair EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The best herb for hair

+3
ataman
nidhogge
The Natural
7 posters

Go down

The best herb for hair Empty The best herb for hair

Post  The Natural Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:38 am

Years ago, I abandoned my mission to "block DHT," per se, and instead, sought out herbal supplements which could lower inflammation, reduce cholesterol levels, facilitate the metabolism of insulin, and just recently remove heavy metals.

Curcumin is an herb capable of doing all of these things and more. I can't help but feel that, if properly absorbed (via a synergistic herb like resveratrol and/or fat soluble substance like milk), curcumin is the best herb for our health, in general, and our hair, in particular.

By the way, I received this information from MPB Research, which you may peruse at your leisure:

http://www.hairloss-research.org/LinkUpdateCurcumin4-09.html

http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateTragedyofTumeric5-08.html

http://www.hairloss-research.org/LinkUpdateCurcuminYetMoreEvidence4-09.html

The Natural

Back to top Go down

The best herb for hair Empty Re: The best herb for hair

Post  nidhogge Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:34 pm

The Natural--

I'm really pushing Eric from Primordial Performance to, in the hopefully not-so-distant future, come up with a combined Resveratrol / Curcumin supplement that is liposomally-encapsulated. Currently, he's working on an oral Sustain Alpha, which is Resveratrol and 7-8 Benzoflavone (which I believe will be liposomally-encapsulated) and he's up to his ears in research and work, but it'd be great to have a highly bioavailable form of this supplement combination for a reasonable price.

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

The best herb for hair Empty The Natural...

Post  ataman Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:27 am

...In your post you say that years ago you abandoned your mission to block DHT...by this do you mean that you used to take pharmaceutical dht blockers, and then stopped taking them, using naturals instead? Thanks.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:55 am

nidhogge wrote:The Natural--

I'm really pushing Eric from Primordial Performance to, in the hopefully not-so-distant future, come up with a combined Resveratrol / Curcumin supplement that is liposomally-encapsulated. Currently, he's working on an oral Sustain Alpha, which is Resveratrol and 7-8 Benzoflavone (which I believe will be liposomally-encapsulated) and he's up to his ears in research and work, but it'd be great to have a highly bioavailable form of this supplement combination for a reasonable price.

Nidhogge,

First, allow me to state that the people over there at Primordial Performance are very professional and more importantly: personable. They understand well, "How to treat a customer." Regardless of the outcome of Toco-8 that I have been using for several weeks now, I am seriously considering buying some more, based solely upon their well-mannered customer care.

Now, if you could get them to create a resveratrol/curcumin combination, that would be out-of-sight! Coincidently, it was not just 10 minutes ago, that I commented in another forum (Hairsite.com) that I thought more of these combinations would emerge due to studies (like the one IH posted recently). As of now, KAL brand is the only one I know of, and it is not worth discussing.

By all means, please keep me abreast of this venture,

TN

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 am

ataman wrote:...In your post you say that years ago you abandoned your mission to block DHT...by this do you mean that you used to take pharmaceutical dht blockers, and then stopped taking them, using naturals instead? Thanks.

ataman,

No, I have never taken pharmaceutical "DHT blockers." (I am "The Natural," remember Very Happy ).

I stopped focusing my attention and efforts on blocking DHT via herbs reputed for this purpose (e.g. saw palmetto, beta sitosterol, pyguem, pumpkin seed extract, nettles), which, by the way, may work for you, especially in the initial stages of loss. But for me, these types of herbs either did not work or lost their effectiveness over time.

And even naturals can cause side effects. I have read post after post of people suffering from brain fog, decrease in libido, etc. while on an "herbal hair loss regimen." It is no surprise to me. Men need DHT. It is "an important contributor...to characteristics generally attributed to males, including facial and body hair growth, and deepening of the voice. And DHT "may play a crucial role in both sex drive and the development of muscle tissue." This is why trying to manipulate its production, is seen by some as, "difficult, risky, and/or unsafe."

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:58 pm

The Natural- I recently started using Resveratrol/Curcumin combo and i was just wondering what dosage you use or what dosage you think is best. 1Xday or 2xday(Resveratrol/Curcumin)?

youngbalder

Back to top Go down

Post  bobbyv Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:27 am

I've recently started curcumin and I really like it. I've had no scalp itch at all since adding it to my regimen. I think its one of the better products I've tried. The likes of 7hmr and ecklonia cava did little for me.

bobbyv

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 am

youngbalder wrote:The Natural- I recently started using Resveratrol/Curcumin combo and i was just wondering what dosage you use or what dosage you think is best. 1Xday or 2xday(Resveratrol/Curcumin)?

youngbalder,

When I began this regimen (over a year ago), I took a Jarrow's capsule of resveratrol (100 mg.) together with a Jarrow's capsule of curcumin (380 mg.) every day, and then, gradually progressed to 200 mg. of resveratrol and 760 mg. of curcumin.

It really depends upon the brand of herb. If you are taking Jarrow's, then I would suggest one capsule of resveratrol and one of curcumin X 2 a day (in the morning and evening). But, for example, if you were to take LEF's Super Bio-Curcumin and Country Life's Resveratrol Plus, then I think one of each a day would be sufficient, as they are believed to be more potent products.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:30 am

bobbyv wrote:I've recently started curcumin and I really like it. I've had no scalp itch at all since adding it to my regimen. I think its one of the better products I've tried. The likes of 7hmr and ecklonia cava did little for me.

bobbyv,

This is exactly what I have expressed to posters here and in other forums during the past year. Oral use of curcumin (and resveratrol) will have a positive impact on your scalp. After several weeks (less than a month) of use, my scalp itch and flaking ceased.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  edony Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:24 am

TN,
are you still taking the combo Curc/resv on empty stomach drinking hot milk?You don't empty the content of the capsule right?
Have you noticed any difference that hints at better (or worse) absorption of the herbs by taking them w milk compared to the "old times" when you used to take them after meal?
Personally after I gulp down my curc/resv with a glass of hot milk , I have a TBS each of sesame seeds and sesame oil and i take my toco-sorb supplement.

Can you write the link to your citrous pectin product?What is your dosage?
edony
edony

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:02 am

The Natural- Thanks for the input, i actually LEF's curcumin and Jarrow's Resveratrol and i take them 1x a day.

youngbalder

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm

edony wrote:TN,
are you still taking the combo Curc/resv on empty stomach drinking hot milk?You don't empty the content of the capsule right?
Have you noticed any difference that hints at better (or worse) absorption of the herbs by taking them w milk compared to the "old times" when you used to take them after meal?
Personally after I gulp down my curc/resv with a glass of hot milk , I have a TBS each of sesame seeds and sesame oil and i take my toco-sorb supplement.

Can you write the link to your citrous pectin product?What is your dosage?

edony,

Well, I haven't taken them with milk long enough to notice a big difference, yet. Still, I like the idea, don't you. You are right to take the tocotrienols with sesame.

How has your regimen affected your hair? Experienced any regrowth, thinning, or are you maintaining the hair that you have left?

I am presently taking TOXGUARD, which contains Modified Citrus Pectin: http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Heavy-Metal-Detox-ToxGuard-90-Veggie-Caps/7774?at=0

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Thu May 14, 2009 12:17 am

A very interesting point was made by a poster named "moximus" at another forum. While he acknowledged the many benefits of taking curcumin, he stated that, "[this herb] blocks the Wnt3a - B-catenin pathway which is critical in hair growth." Further, he noted that "Another major problem with the anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, ECGC, resveratrol, etc. is that they all inhibit angiogenesis which is very necessary for normal hair growth. (Angiogenesis is vascularization of the cells, allowing blood to get to hair dermal papilla)."

Interesting, huh.

On one hand, angiogenesis is necessary for hair growth. On the other hand, I have read that angiogenesis is associated with obesity, and that its suppression helps to reduce overall body fat.

I do believe, as he also implied, there are pluses (+) and minuses (-) to any herb. But after doing the math, I feel that my experience with curcumin, resveratrol, and the like has been a very positive one. Still, I can't help but to wonder about the exact mechanism by which these herbs stopped my dandruff, itching, and thinning.

Any thoughts?

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu May 14, 2009 5:04 am

The Natural - At one time or another, at least on regrowth forum there was a lot of mention of VEGF, angiogenesis as being something desired.

Yet it can be a very negative thing, not just with obesity but with MMP-9. Several pro-hair substances as mentioned inhibit angiogenesis. I've always seen this as a good thing because in hormone based tumors are often MMP-9 dependent for increased vascular endothelial growth factor/angiogenesis, which is what tumors utilize to get more blood to expand their growth.

Just about anything against cancer seems to be pro-hair. When I think of angiogenesis I think of uregulation of MMP-9 supplying an growing tumor and that attack this Gelatinase B enzyme has on hair.

What about Wnt3a? Curcumin can suppress the cell adhesion forces in various active cancers that are associated with Wnt3a/beta-catenin response. Fortunately this does not mean anything negative for hair.

This particular pathway is very complicated and there are several effectors that would needed for this stand in the way of altering hair cycles associated with these proteins.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm

IH, thank you for providing this analysis. I will be sure to pass it along.

TN

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down