Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Small bald patch on the right side of my head EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Small bald patch on the right side of my head

+2
tonyj
bobthebuilder
6 posters

Go down

Small bald patch on the right side of my head Empty Small bald patch on the right side of my head

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:45 am

It's very small but I can see it and I'm pretty sure it was not there before. I know it's tiny but still, it's obvious when I shave the sides of my head. Any idea of what it could be? what should I do? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Small bald patch on the right side of my head Patch

Back to top Go down

Small bald patch on the right side of my head Empty Re: Small bald patch on the right side of my head

Post  bobthebuilder Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:37 pm

FredtheBelgian wrote:It's very small but I can see it and I'm pretty sure it was not there before. I know it's tiny but still, it's obvious when I shave the sides of my head. Any idea of what it could be? what should I do? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Small bald patch on the right side of my head Patch

As much as you irritate everyone on the forum this could be a possible reason: link - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3412244/figure/F1/
bobthebuilder
bobthebuilder

Back to top Go down

Small bald patch on the right side of my head Empty Re: Small bald patch on the right side of my head

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 pm

I irritate everyone? I thought about alopecia areata too, but this is really small and I don't have any case of auto-immune disorders in my family Neutral . Maybe it's because of my recent gynecomastia surgery, I don't know. Well I tend to worry over little things, I will have it checked out by my dermatologist Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post  bobthebuilder Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:08 pm

FredtheBelgian wrote:I irritate everyone? I thought about alopecia areata too, but this is really small and I don't have any case of auto-immune disorders in my family Neutral . Maybe it's because of my recent gynecomastia surgery, I don't know. Well I tend to worry over little things, I will have it checked out by my dermatologist Smile.

Syn Vitamin D cream is pretty easy to get from your doctor worth a try if the patch gets bigger.
bobthebuilder
bobthebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 pm

A wrestling coach who teaches at my son's school developed AA patches. He has no history of auto-immune disease in his family and his doctor believes the small patches were triggered by stress; he was going through a nasty divorce at the time. Just managing his stress and drinking camomile tea at night seemed to relieve his stress and recover his hair.

tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Successful Treatment of Alopecia Areata with Topical Calcipotriol
Abstract

Alopecia areata (AA) is an inflammatory hair loss of unknown etiology. AA is chronic and relapsing, and no effective cure or preventive treatment has been established. Vitamin D was recently reported to be important in cutaneous immune modulation as well as calcium regulation and bone metabolism. It is well known that areata is common clinical finding in patients with vitamin D deficiency, vitamin D-resistant rickets, or vitamin D receptor (VDR) mutation. The biological actions of vitamin D3 derivatives include regulation of epidermal cell proliferation and differentiation and modulation of cytokine production. These effects might explain the efficacy of vitamin D3 derivatives for treating AA. In this study, we report a 7-year-old boy with reduced VDR expression in AA, recovery of whom was observed by topical application of calcipotriol, a strong vitamin D analog.
[i]

This is the first time I've read this angle on alopecia areata, that the auto-immune disease results in a reduced VDR expression.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 am

Successful Treatment of Alopecia Areata with Topical Calcipotriol

Abstract

Alopecia areata (AA) is an inflammatory hair loss of unknown etiology. AA is chronic and relapsing, and no effective cure or preventive treatment has been established. Vitamin D was recently reported to be important in cutaneous immune modulation as well as calcium regulation and bone metabolism. It is well known that areata is common clinical finding in patients with vitamin D deficiency, vitamin D-resistant rickets, or vitamin D receptor (VDR) mutation. The biological actions of vitamin D3 derivatives include regulation of epidermal cell proliferation and differentiation and modulation of cytokine production. These effects might explain the efficacy of vitamin D3 derivatives for treating AA. In this study, we report a 7-year-old boy with reduced VDR expression in AA, recovery of whom was observed by topical application of calcipotriol, a strong vitamin D analog.

[i]

This is the first time I've read this angle on alopecia areata, that the auto-immune disease results in a reduced VDR expression.

My question should have been, does Topical Calcipotriol ointment increase VDR expression in the scalp?
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Fred, have you seen your dermatologist?

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

i get the same small patch when i sleep on one side of my head too much. it usually occurs just above the temporalis muscle, but does sometimes happen where yours has.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:53 pm

I think it's autoimmune thing as alopecia areata. I have 2 such patches.

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 am

Yeah, the dermatologist didn't notice it in fact :p, the spot is slowly fading, and no this is not cancer... I mean AA.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:07 am

So what is it/its your diagnose about bald patch? Some hair in particular area have decided to leave your scalp for MPB hormone driven reasons? Cancer is very uncommon from AA conditions, mayority with symptoms dont even know about autoimmune issues and have no problems with it.

In majority those patches regrow on their own, in small minority dont at all and very small minority they spread towards A totalis (higher cancer risk). I am confident saying those of mine are from autoimmune reaction caused by my food intolerances years ago and i treat it this way.

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 am

I have a pencil eraser sized spot on top of my head, right in the middle, behind my hair line, I noticed it a few weeks after I noticed my temples receding and sides thinning.

It's not completely bald as it has some long thin hairs, it almost looks like all the thick hairs just decided to go byebye in this one spot. No idea if it's AA or some weird tiny concentrated patch of AGA. The rest of the top of my head is normal (for now). It's making me both confused and worried.

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:29 pm

tonyj wrote:Successful Treatment of Alopecia Areata with Topical Calcipotriol
Abstract

[i]

I've read about this before. A few weeks ago, or possibly a few months ago, I read a post on reddit from this that was posted on the today show I believe. Although these types of stories always seem to pop up about some future treatment, you may find it interesting. Here's the article:

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2012/09/12/13829499-research-offers-new-hope-for-baldness-cure?lite

Here's a post I made on 2 vitamin D studies which you may find interesting too:
https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t8017-can-vitamin-d-help-cure-hairloss#81414

One talked about how VDR problems could lead to pathogen problems and the other on calcium possibly makign the VDR stronger. I didn't know that calcipotriol would increase the VDR capabilty and could be a worthwhile treatment option. Do you or does anyone know any other ways to increase the VDR effectiveness?
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I spent a lot of time without having any sunlight and while not supplementing with Vitamin D. Could this have caused this small patch?

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:13 pm

FredtheBelgian wrote:I spent a lot of time without having any sunlight and while not supplementing with Vitamin D. Could this have caused this small patch?

I too do not get much sunlight, nor am I supplementing vitamin D atm. However, my reason is because vitamin D causes insomnia for me that I have yet to pinpoint an exact reasoning. I do thing it without a doubt plays a part in some of my problems, and it may as well for you too based on the posts that I showed above.

My guesses right now involve certain gene mutation snps I have that I talked to a doctor about and said it was possible that B12 & Vitamin D with one of my mutations may cause it and my other guess is a poorly functioning thyroid (possibly hypo).

From what I've read here, vitamin D is critical.. so it's probably in your best interest to optmize it. Although, I think jdp posted a thread against it, but CS seems to recommend it. Perhaps sunlight is your best bet. (but wear zinc oxide sunscreen if you take this route.. the sun will AGE your face)
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:14 pm

sanderson wrote:
One talked about how VDR problems could lead to pathogen problems and the other on calcium possibly makign the VDR stronger. I didn't know that calcipotriol would increase the VDR capabilty and could be a worthwhile treatment option. Do you or does anyone know any other ways to increase the VDR effectiveness?

tnx for some info.
I am been searching to answer this VDR issue myself with no sucess. Anecdotal evidences states that chanca piedra or iodine are keys to free the receptor and make it work again, but seen no literature on the subject so far... Anyway, it's sunny day, have to go now...Smile

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down