Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptyToday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptyToday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptyYesterday at 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
How critical is a post workout meal/shake? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

How critical is a post workout meal/shake?

3 posters

Go down

How critical is a post workout meal/shake? Empty How critical is a post workout meal/shake?

Post  Le'Mon Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 am

I am following an intermittant fasting diet, which means i will be working out fasted. I have two very light snacks in the morning then train in the afternoon and eat my main meal in the evening.

But i am confused how important it is to have a recovery shake after exercise?
some people say its critical like mercola but i know he is pushing Whey protein, others say it has been debunked and its not critcal to have a post workout meal in that 30 minute window and some have even fasted 2-4 hours after training before even eating anything.

Im left very confused i would be greatly interested in the knowledge from people here on the subject Very Happy

Le'Mon

Back to top Go down

How critical is a post workout meal/shake? Empty Re: How critical is a post workout meal/shake?

Post  lambyjay Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:54 am

Well from my current knowledge, which may no doubt be proven wrong by someone, taking whey is a good idea after working out.

Apparently mTOR(functional protein that regulates muscle uptake of protein) is most active following a good hard workout session. Taking whey with its quick release mechanism should be good stuff while mTOR is most active within the hour after training. Also add some sugar or fruit juice to the mix to replace glycogen and also insulin aids in the activation of mTOR, so should get most benefit from a 30g whey drink with about 100gs sugar.

But the hilarious thing is that fasting both raises cortisol and activates myostatin which take protein from your muscles and thus render your workout a complete waste of time from a muscle gaining perspective. Also taking plenty of protein and throughout the day >80g and a good lot of carbs is just as important in preventing the activation of myostatin.

Your not in a famine. Get some calories into you.

lambyjay

Back to top Go down

How critical is a post workout meal/shake? Empty Re: How critical is a post workout meal/shake?

Post  AS54 Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 am

I would definitely say if the workout demands it, get some nutrition into your body. This doesn't need to be a shake. Its convenient and fast assimilating to take a whey/carb shake after a workout but eating a proper meal will do the same. Eating a steak and rice will be just as good in the long run as a whey/dextrose shake. I say do do both. Have the sake about 30 minutes after a workout and do about 30-40 g protein with 50-75 g carbohydrate. Have a whole food meal about an hour to an hour and a half after that with a good protein source and some type of carb whether than be vegetables or rice. I do believe in BCAAs during the workout and post. I think the product Xtend is a good one.

But you need to be the judge as far as post workout carbohydrate goes. If you jogged for 30 minutes, you aren't going to require the replenishment someone who trained intensely with resistance for an hour does. And only you can be the judge of your own intensity. If you walk out of the gym feeling fatigues and light headed, go carb up. I mean, its being the judge and differentiating between a day where you did bis and tris and a day where you go and do 4 sets of clean and jerk with heavy weight. You know the difference. Eat accordingly. The type of hormonal change you'll experience at proper intensity actually demands some post workout carbohydrate if you want to avoid the ill effects of the heightened stress hormones. Think of yourself as a caveman. What else would require our ancestors to exert so much effort and energy? Either escaping impending death or obtaining food. Enjoy the spoils of your effort and eat, but imagine that the reward is proportional to to the effort.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down