Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptyToday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptyToday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptyYesterday at 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
chewing gum improves digestion? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

chewing gum improves digestion?

+3
tooyoung
a
imprisoned-radical
7 posters

Go down

chewing gum improves digestion? Empty chewing gum improves digestion?

Post  imprisoned-radical Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:16 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7568724.stm

Chewing gum appears to speed up the return of normal bowel function by stimulating nerves in the digestive system, say the UK report's authors.

Patients who chewed gum passed gas and had a bowel movement sooner than those who did not chew gum - signs that their bowel function returned sooner.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

chewing gum improves digestion? Empty Re: chewing gum improves digestion?

Post  a<r Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:35 am

Was the gum sweetened with sorbitol?

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:48 am

The article doesn't say. I assume they used regular gum.

Engaging in a repetitive, mechanical physical activity can have stress-relieving effect, as can be observed when you squeeze a stress ball for instance. I wonder if the improved digestion observed with gum-chewing involves similar processes. I remember reading somewhere else that chewing gum can improve mental focus/performance. IME, my mind is always desperate for distraction, for an excuse to escape the task at hand. Based on my observations of other people, it's not an uncommon problem these days. Idle minds are the workshop of the devil.

Supposedly chewing gum is somewhat effective at counteracting nicotine cravings in people who are trying to quit smoking.

The process of digestion is extremely sensitive to the state of your mind. Psychological stress reduces blood flow to the muscles of the GI tract, resulting in slowed intestinal transit and indigestion.

I think the main benefit I observed from the curcumin/resveratrol combination was decreased intestinal transit time. I had no bloating/constipation so I had far fewer mood swings. I started taking it again a few days ago, and my gut feels amazing.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  tooyoung Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 am

Nice avatar ar, guessing you enjoyed Prometheus then? Wink

tooyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Mastery Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:29 pm

It also gives you stomach ulcers as you start the stomach cranking with no food in it if you chew gum on an empty stomach.
Mastery
Mastery

Back to top Go down

Post  gdfghh Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 am

I've read somewhere that chewing gum triggers a release of stomach acid. I'd imagine that if a person had low stomach acid (most average people) that it would have some aid. Although, low stomach acid or not, releasing more without food present can't be a good thing overall. My experience is that it always leaves me with a hungry stomach ache.
gdfghh
gdfghh

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:12 pm

i read somewhere (someone can correct if i'm wrong) that when you chew gum, it starts the process of your body releasing digestive enzymes and slowly depleting them. the saliva release from chewing gum starts your body wanting to do digestion, but no digestion is happening. i'm assuming it's probably not good. but with all the extra crap in gum, it's probably best to avoid it.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm

sanderson wrote:i read somewhere (someone can correct if i'm wrong) that when you chew gum, it starts the process of your body releasing digestive enzymes and slowly depleting them. the saliva release from chewing gum starts your body wanting to do digestion, but no digestion is happening. i'm assuming it's probably not good. but with all the extra crap in gum, it's probably best to avoid it.

yeah, but some people are supposed to have low stomach acid. There have been studies showing that H. pylori infection in the stomach can inhibit stomach acid production. Some alternative health websites claim that chronic stress can also decrease stomach acid production.

Low stomach acid production causes digestion problems because proteins are supposed to be broken down in the stomach. If they reach the small intestines intact, then they can pass through the barrier (if you have impaired barrier function) and then cause immunologic problems.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  NYJets Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:09 pm

ot but I heard promethius was crap?
NYJets
NYJets

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down