Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests

2 posters

Go down

Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests Empty Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests

Post  9rugrats5 Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:48 pm

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/23409.aspx

“The mice had substantial changes in their gut microbiome,” Semenkovich says. “But it wasn’t the composition of microbes in the gut that caused the problems.”

Instead, Wei says, the mice got sick because of a defect in fatty acid synthase. The mice without fatty acid synthase had lost the protective lining of mucus in the intestines that separates the microbes from direct exposure to cells. This allowed bacteria to penetrate otherwise healthy cells in the gut, making the mice sick.

“Fatty acid synthase is required to keep that mucosal layer intact,” Wei says. “Without it, bad bacteria invade cells in the colon and the small intestine, creating inflammation, and that, in turn, contributes to insulin resistance and diabetes.”
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests Empty Re: Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests

Post  whodathunkit Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:06 am

Wow. Thanks, 9rugrats5. This is very interesting to me. Despite normalizing occasionally, my blood sugar has proven to be fairly intractable over time. I don't have diabetes, but it's an issue of concern. I have occasional bouts of intestinal "difficulty" but nothing chronic or debilitating. Lack of FAS and damaged mucosal lining in the intestines could explain what's going on. Maybe for lots of other semi-bewildered people, as well

Would have been nice if they postulated what damaged the body's ability to produce FAS (was it an organic defect or induced by environmental factors such as intake of transfats, alcohol, a highly acicic diet, etc.).

Anyway, great article!

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests Empty Re: Diabetes may start in the intestines, research suggests

Post  9rugrats5 Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks whodathunkit. I have also felt that insulin related issues might be a side effect. I wonder if the normal mucous layer has healthy planktonic or biofilmic bacteria, and a compromised or depleted one is under attack by harmful ones.

Edit- What I mean to say pertains to this quote “Fatty acid synthase is required to keep that mucosal layer intact” Could it be that if there's one episode of illness or body malfunction when the mucosal layer depletes and then the harmful bacteria take control and do not allow FAS to do it's work. If that is a possibility, then working on improving healthy gut flora might help in restoration of mucosal layer, consequently helping insulin related disorders.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  whodathunkit Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 am

There's another thread floating around near the top of the queue lately which also suggests that too many antioxidants can have an adverse effect on insulin sensitivity. I've been kind of "antioxidant heavy" with supplements for quite a while (long before I got to this board), and even when my diet was really bad I usually took a bunch every day. In light of that and this article I'm going to stop the with the heavy antioxidants for a while, and do some more intensive work on my gut and gut flora, see what happens to my blood sugar.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down