Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Minoxidil question EmptyToday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Minoxidil question EmptyToday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Minoxidil question EmptyYesterday at 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Minoxidil question EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Minoxidil question EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Minoxidil question EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Minoxidil question EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Minoxidil question EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Minoxidil question EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Minoxidil question

+6
Lw
Addicted
theseeker86
dadon
Hoppipolla
Icanbeatthis
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Minoxidil question Empty Minoxidil question

Post  Icanbeatthis Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Ok I have a bit of a problem here...

I decided to get a Hair Transplant in January 2012 with what is considered to be the best surgeon available right now (Rahal).

I'm getting FUE done to minimize scarring and I only need hairline work since my loss is fairly minimal (norwood 2).

My big problem is that the doc attributes some of his early growth and consistent yield to the post op use of minoxidil. I don't want to use minox but at the same time I want a great result and want to make sure I do everything I can to make it work!

My main fear with minox is the formation of wrinkles and the aging of my face. I've read studies that show minox acting on collagen formation... not good Sad

Can anyone chime in and help me out here? I use biosil for collagen and skin, would that counter the effects of minox? I would only use minox for a couple months post op and then drop it.

Would be curious to see what your thoughts are on this CS!

Thanks

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Minoxidil question Empty Re: Minoxidil question

Post  Hoppipolla Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:52 pm

It gave me more wrinkles on my forehead definitely. Not saying it's bad stuff, but it did!

Erm, I wish I could help you more man, could you quickly remind me of your age MPB started and your health? Sorry, just want to help if I can.

On the minox... you may be ok if you counteract it somehow but you'd have to really do that down the same pathway it's harming collagen through. A couple of months really isn't long though.

I wonder if you could use Folligen or something instead and get comparable results?
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Prophétie auto-réalisatrice. Seriously Hoppi, I don't think minox can cause wrinkles in such a short period of time, or even cause them at all. You heard that minox causes wrinkles, so now you suddenly see wrinkles on your forehead. I'm not saying that because I'm still using minox huh. Hell, I'm only using it 3 times a week now so... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Icanbeatthis Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:19 am

Hoppi no offense but I don't think you really know what you're talking about. You seem to jump from theory to theory and act like some kind of expert, I don't mean to hate but I can't take anything you say seriously.

Fred, how long have you been using minox for? The science behind minox inhibiting the collagen pathway seems accurate so I don't think it's a self realising prophecy. It could definitely age the skin.

Interested in the opinion of CS as he would know the science better but thanks for the input (even you Hoppi haha)!

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Post  dadon Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am

when i was taking minoxidil something definitely happened in my face..i started to look older. not only did i notice deeper circles under my eyes, but also wrinkles on my forehead. minoxidil is awesome when it comes to hair regrowth, but has definitely some side-effects. if you take it for a few months you won´t notice any changes, but i wouldn´t take it for too long.

dadon

Back to top Go down

Post  Icanbeatthis Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks Dadon, how long did you take minox? Did you face improve after you stopped using it?

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:35 am

Icanbeatthis wrote:Thanks Dadon, how long did you take minox? Did you face improve after you stopped using it?

Yeah seconded! Did the wrinkles go? I keep looking at the ones I got hoping they will. Earlier today I THOUGHT they might be fainter but... it's so hard to tell. I don't look at them often but of course I get a bit self-conscious.
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Well, in one month, it will be 2 years, 2 years I'm on the minox, isn't that marvelous? I know, I try not to lie to myself: minox gave me wrinkles, under my eyes. I'm still using it, but 3 or maybe 2 times a week sometimes. I know it's a poison. I know it's not good for me. The truth is that I'm scared, scared of what could happen if I stop it cold turkey. In fact, I know exactly what will happen: a big big shed, and I don't want this shed to happen, not now, maybe never.

My opinion is that drugs can be beneficial, when the damage is done.

My sups (Ecklonia Cava notably) and some argan oil cream definitely helped to fade the wrinkles. People thought I was 30 some months ago, and now, I look my age again Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post  Icanbeatthis Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Any input CS? I'd really like to know what your thoughts are on this!

Icanbeatthis

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 am

I use to be on minox liquid for a year and i noticed an increase in forehead wrinkles/bags under my eyes.

It gradually went away after i stopped using it though, which im very grateful for especially when i read other peoples horror stories.

Some people get sides and some people don't or they just tolerate them better. It's a gamble.

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey theseeker86, did you shed much after stopping Minox? Were you on the 5%?

How long ago did you stop?
Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Addicted wrote:Hey theseeker86, did you shed much after stopping Minox? Were you on the 5%?

How long ago did you stop?

I was on the "regaine extra strength 5%" formula, they call rogaine regaine here in Australia.

I noticed when i first used it (which was the biggest fucking mistake of my life, i was only 18 and in highschool) i shed a lot of hair straight away then when i kept using it the shedding slowed down.

I've been off minox for almost 7 years, when i first stopped i didn't notice any unusual shedding, not the type that a lot of people report when stopping minox anyway.

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  Lw Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 am

My God..

I decided to start Minox 5% in early september.. I used already 2 x 2oz bottle, which are supposed to lenght 2 months.

Last week while taking the elevator, I had an horrible vision like I never had before.. The elevator have a mirror and a strong shit-light who always make me look kind of ugly. But this time I suddenly noticed the skin on my cheeks being totally "dead", litterally faded like the cheeks of a 80 years old. No joke. I was kinda scared by what I saw but I did not make any relation with the Minox.. The skin looked exactly collagen depleted..

I just start to shed a few week ago. But I think I'm gonna stop the Minox immediatly.
Something REALLY hurted my skin.. Thank you guys for this thread.. I'm sure it's the Minox.

Lw

Back to top Go down

Post  dadon Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am

i dont know if its related to minoxidil, but my health went straight down in the last 1 1/2 years. for years i always looked the youngest and i remember one woman at the liqour store in australia said i´d have a babyface. now, noone says this anymore. a few months ago my best friend said that he´s wondering why i matured so fast in the last few years. it was probably partly due to the stress of traveling and malnutrition ( and minox???)

the last few months were hard, really hard. i felt old, sick and my hair wasn´t improving anymore like it used to..in the last 2 weeks i even found a few gray hair on my bed and on my body. i have no idea why my health is fucked up like this, but i think minoxidil didn´t help to improve it. i stopped taking minoxidil a few weeks ago and the shedding was PAINFUL. it has slowed down and i think regrowth is on its way, because i introduced a new regime. but you should expect soome shedding. and dont be shocked if you cant recognize yourself in the mirror anymore Smile

dadon

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm

I been doing the Minox for a good 8 years now. Way to long. I was on the 5% most all of that time, up until about 6 months ago now I upgraded the poison to a more lethal dose of 15% as the 5% seemed to not be so effective any more. Looks like the 15% made some improvements but not a big deal. Now I want to stop this more than anything but am also concerned about the hairs that have been saved due to the minoxidil usage.

I guess it's the possible shedding to come that bothers me. I never used this twice daily as suggested though, only once a day and at night time. This stuff never makes your hair look very good if you apply it on and head out for the day. It's also very drying. Thankfully I have only use it on the crown, so If and when I do stop, it shouldn't affect me on the front or top, only the crown area.

Of all my years being on this stuff, I didn't notice any accelerated wrinkling or aging of the skin. Nor did I ever have any other bad sides. But I am getting close to being ready to take this on using a more natural approach and getting away from the pharmaceutical junk.

I have already started skipping applications. Applying this topical only 1 time every other day now. We'll see how this turns out. I thought maybe it would be best if I cut the dosages back down to 5% first then down to 2% rather than kill it cold turkey from the 15%.

If it makes any difference.... Neutral

Addicted
Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  unfortunate Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:04 pm

It's really sad for me to see all these replies regarding aging of skin, etc. I've posted regarding minoxidil in the past... I'm 28 and have been on and off minoxidil 3-4 times now in the last 5 years.... Every time I have been on minoxidil, I have encountered the same bad side effects time and time again - puffy eyes, dark circles, visible veigns, puffy face, rapid heartbeat, dry skin and increased wrinkling... The skin on the face just looks overall haggard and dried out.

In the past, I quit minoxidil due to the sides and after about 6 months things did start getting better... But unfortunately, my hair went to shit which was so depressing that I ended up getting back on the stuff.... I recently quit the stuff (almost 4 months ago) and have lost 40-50 percent of my hair (not kidding). I can no longer cover my temples with longer hair like I used to and i have major thinning now throughout the middle of my scalp that is very apparent. I was expecting a shed but nothing this bad... Also, major dandruff and oily hair like never before... I believe this is a shock reaction due to quitting cold turkey, but I've decided that no matter what I'm never getting back on the poison. I'm done with it regardless of what happens to my hair...

I am saying all of this not to discourage anyone, but to warn people.. Don't start on the poison in the first place.... If you are already using the stuff, quit it and deal with the consequences if you can... Find a different hair stimulant to use. Personally, I am having nid build me a laser helment and will be attacking my hair loss from that angle + diet.. Whether or not the "natural" route works for my hair, only time will tell, but I will ride it out this time... Either way, minoxidil isn't worth it guys.... It's not worth the haggard older than you junkie look and/or the constant feeling of lethargy due to lowered blood pressure... I wish I had never ever started the stuff and definitely don't intend on ever starting it again. There has got to be a more reasonable way...

Just my 2 cents....

unfortunate

Back to top Go down

Post  kery Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:16 am

what may be the solution for someone who want to stop using minoxidil after 15 years of use? my fear is to lose all the gains made with minoxidil because it helped me a lot despite the side effects. Unfortunately I can not hear success stories after stopping minoxidil without lot of shedding. To me there is no natural alternative powerful enough to compete with minoxidil. The only way is to accept losing a lot of hair after stopping or continue until we find an effective and cheap alternative.

kery

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:42 am

kery wrote:what may be the solution for someone who want to stop using minoxidil after 15 years of use? my fear is to lose all the gains made with minoxidil because it helped me a lot despite the side effects. Unfortunately I can not hear success stories after stopping minoxidil without lot of shedding. To me there is no natural alternative powerful enough to compete with minoxidil. The only way is to accept losing a lot of hair after stopping or continue until we find an effective and cheap alternative.
Minoxidil can be replaced by salt, potassium, magnesium, calcium supplementation(electrolyte minerals). I spent 5 long minutes to find this post for you, so take it seriously! :)
https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t3806-questions-for-caustic-symmetry#34134
CausticSymmetry wrote:Nocturnalhorse - Minoxidil only masks the symptoms of elevated aldosterone. To correct this, sodium, magnesium and potassium can be in proper balance. Or managing blood sugar levels.

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  kery Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:17 am

pancacke wrote:
kery wrote:what may be the solution for someone who want to stop using minoxidil after 15 years of use? my fear is to lose all the gains made with minoxidil because it helped me a lot despite the side effects. Unfortunately I can not hear success stories after stopping minoxidil without lot of shedding. To me there is no natural alternative powerful enough to compete with minoxidil. The only way is to accept losing a lot of hair after stopping or continue until we find an effective and cheap alternative.
Minoxidil can be replaced by salt, potassium, magnesium, calcium supplementation(electrolyte minerals). I spent 5 long minutes to find this post for you, so take it seriously! Smile
https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t3806-questions-for-caustic-symmetry#34134
CausticSymmetry wrote:Nocturnalhorse - Minoxidil only masks the symptoms of elevated aldosterone. To correct this, sodium, magnesium and potassium can be in proper balance. Or managing blood sugar levels.

Thanks for the link, looks very interesting. is that these ingredients should they be taken together or separately ?

kery

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:27 am

I like this mix......
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1375812

Yes they can be taken together....I would use:
-himalayan salt
-potassium chloride(NOW foods)
-magnesium malate(AOR or Source naturals)
-coral calcium(lifetime or NOW)

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  kery Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:44 am

pancacke wrote:I like this mix......

-himalayan salt
seems to be interesting on the paper but do people have concret results whit thoses ingredients as subtitute to minox ?

kery

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:47 am

No, I don't think so.....there is no money to research stuff that can't be patented

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 pm

pancacke wrote:I like this mix......

-himalayan salt

Is Source Naturals himalayan salt a good choice?

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  pancacke Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:35 pm

No idea....in this case it doesn't matter much because all you're looking for is the sodium chloride......just don't go for regular tablesalt

pancacke

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:00 am

pancacke wrote:No idea....in this case it doesn't matter much because all you're looking for is the sodium chloride......just don't go for regular tablesalt

ah ok then, thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity what brand do you use?

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next