Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Are the men in your family bald?  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Are the men in your family bald?

+15
SonofOdin
TheDivineMarquis
crincrin
TexasMedicine
bh2o
CausticSymmetry
elan164
tonyj
abc123
youngbalder
Hoppipolla
niff1250
rofl
imprisoned-radical
19 posters

Go down

Are the men in your family bald?  Empty Are the men in your family bald?

Post  imprisoned-radical Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:39 pm

I would be especially interested in answers from those forum participants who have stopped their hair loss. Especially CS. This would show that even the "genetic" component of MPB can be counteracted.

My dad, his dad, and his paternal grandfather are bald. My dad started balding in his mid-20s, whereas his two brothers only have moderate (frontal) hair loss and it didn't start until much later in life. Notably, my dad also developed type 2 diabetes in his 30s and hypertension during his 40s - he's generally a stressed out person and I imagine that this was a major causative factor in his generally poor health. All of the men on my mom's side of the family seem to have good hair.

The suspect gene variation sits on the X chromosome, which is handed down to men by their mother. So a man may get an idea of his scalp's future from men on his mother's side of the family.
Genetic screening showed that the "cardinal prerequisite" for premature male pattern baldness was a variation in the androgen receptor gene. The gene variant was found "very much more often" among prematurely bald men than among men who still had a full head of hair after age 60, says Nöthen in a news release.

The theory that MPB is entirely inherited from the mother's side has been debunked, but the information above shows that the maternal line of inheritance is relatively more important.

As such I'd hoped that I'd dodge MPB, but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.

Hopefully someone who knows more about the genetic component of MPB (or a better understanding of genetics in general) can weigh in.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Are the men in your family bald?  Empty Re: Are the men in your family bald?

Post  rofl Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:52 pm

i wouldnt worry about this question personally. it doesnt matter.

if theres mpb in the family, u may or may not get it, and if theres not mpb in ur family u may or may not get it. Im sure theres a link somewhere, but after so many generations it becomes just too complicated to track.

Its simply a combinatino of genetics and epigenetics, as well as chemical, biological, hormonal dietry factors. the simple truth is no-one knows who will go bald.

But i guess if u father and brothers all gobald early, its a fair bet u will too.

dont htink anyone will really be able to help u on this one.
rofl
rofl

Back to top Go down

Post  niff1250 Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:13 pm

There's no MPB in my family (both sides) over the last three generations. But my hairloss looks like MPB : no recedding but thinning in the crown (more visible in the vertex area but thinning all over my crown).

niff1250

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 pm

My dad's side is fairly bad. He has lost a fair bit, my uncle is nearly bald, my NAN was bald O.O

On the other hand, my grandad had more hair than my dad and uncle even in his 70s. I would probably be more inclined to believe mine was simply genetic had it not occurred at the same time as digestive issues (and other linked problems), and at 18 not 24.

My mum's side... mostly good hair, sometimes hair loss (or full baldness) in old age.
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:19 pm

My Grandfather, Father and two uncles on my father side. It was inevitable for me.

youngbalder

Back to top Go down

Post  abc123 Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:34 pm

yes 100% of males on both sides have hair loss, knew it was coming lol...

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyj Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:22 am

Same here, 100% on both sides of the family.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  elan164 Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:06 am

Both grandparents were basically bald, but my dad has more hair than me, just temple recession, nw2 id guess, im nw3 i would say.

elan164

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:50 am

All men on my mothers side are bald and became this way at an early age. My father's side is mixed, but all of the ones I have met began to bald at different rates.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 pm

The men on my mothers side have maintained fairly well. My mothers father had a very good head of hair into his 70's.

My fathers side, most of them have lost most of their hair including my dad who is in his 60's and is high on the nw scale, not sure what number. His youngest brother has a decent amount of hair with some thinning, he is in his 60's as well.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasMedicine Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:07 pm

My dad wears a piece of some kind so not sure how bald he really is, lol. But both grandparents were totally bald, as well as both uncles from different sides of the family - so I didn't stand much of a chance paired with epigenetics and stress.

TexasMedicine

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:18 am

Paternal GF was slick bald. My father is quite bald. One of his brothers has great hair at almost age 70, the other is in between.

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDivineMarquis Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 am

Father´s side: my father is bald and so is his brother; my grandfather was nw3 at 45 (died at that age); only one of my great-uncles is bald, all the others are nw2´s.

Mother´s side: my grandfather is bald; my uncle is bald but my cousins (his sons) only have receded temples and thick hair; besides them there aren´t many bald men in this side of the family

Me, I seem to be a nw 2,5 with thick hair - although, I´m only 23.

Is it possible for me not to go bald, or to stay a 2,5 the rest of my life?
TheDivineMarquis
TheDivineMarquis

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Sat May 23, 2015 10:14 am

Both my grandfathers had thick heads of hair past sixty. Both uncles on my mom's side were bald, one started in his late twenties, the other in his late forties.

My balding started exactly at 27 years-old. Otherwise my two sisters and I were both known for having thicker than average hair.

In fact, my teenage and early twenties hair was so thick, I actually broke my hair stylists trimmer twice, forcing her to upgrade to a more powerful model. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  SonofOdin Sat May 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Father was fine till he reached ages 19-23, then he was NW5 in a little over a year. He grew up on a farm and was pretty healthy. At age 22 I went from NW1.5 to a NW4 in about 8 months. I only escaped my dads fate by using fin once I realized time was not on my side on experimenting with naturals to get at the root... We both pretty much mirrored each other when it came to hair loss even though I grew up in the city, had a different lifestyle etc.

Uncle on moms side has perfect hair in his forties, and grandpa has great hair for an 80 yr old.
SonofOdin
SonofOdin

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Sat May 23, 2015 8:51 pm

every single close relative (dad, brother, uncles, grand parents, great uncles, blood cousings) about the age of 30 in my family has severe balding. talk about a shit hair gene pool.

I'm 37 and have a bit of thinning which I've stabilised and may even be reversing. i'm pretty much the first man in my family in the last 3 generations to keep this much hair, this long.

that said, none of them lead particularly healthy lifestyles, I'm very pro-active with health
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDivineMarquis Sun May 24, 2015 12:23 am

Btw, how relevant is the genetic contribution of our paternal grandfather in MPB genetics? Is it necessairly less influential than our maternal grandfather´s?
TheDivineMarquis
TheDivineMarquis

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun May 24, 2015 2:00 am

My father, grand father on mother's side, all of my uncles of mother's side - all went bald early.

I've studied the genetic part for years and there's much more to it. Influences during gestation also can play a role. Also environmental toxins affect genetic expressions.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Growdamnit Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:My father, grand father on mother's side, all of my uncles of mother's side - all went bald early.

I've studied the genetic part for years and there's much more to it. Influences during gestation also can play a role. Also environmental toxins affect genetic expressions.
I know I'm being an absolute pain in the ass when I ask, but I have to out of sheer curiosity. What are the influences during gestation and the environmental toxins? Please elaborate. Thanks, CS.

Growdamnit

Back to top Go down

Post  Organism Sun May 24, 2015 10:00 am

Today my hairdresser who is in late 40's has a full head of hair and said his dad is bald so he has his mothers hair.

Organism

Back to top Go down

Post  Sage 1 Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Growdamnit wrote:
CausticSymmetry wrote:My father, grand father on mother's side, all of my uncles of mother's side - all went bald early.

I know I'm being an absolute pain in the ass when I ask, but I have to out of sheer curiosity. What are the influences during gestation and the environmental toxins? Please elaborate. Thanks, CS.

Probably there are no studies if hair loss for example has increased by generations, and at earlier stages.
The increase of drugs, supplements and processed food however has increased, and there can definitely be a connection.

Even our grains, greens and veggies are chemically harvested, to speed up the process and for a bigger yield.
My mother worked for a big company, and she did daily testings of genetically modified grains to make it more efficient, and insect repellent.
I think all these factors has effected our health more than we think, and therefore our daily intake is ecological.

Sage 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down