Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Adding gelatin to the regimen EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Adding gelatin to the regimen

+2
abc123
teacup
6 posters

Go down

Adding gelatin to the regimen Empty Adding gelatin to the regimen

Post  teacup Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:17 am

Is it worth adding gelatin to my regimen (I do not each much broth, bone marrow, gelatin-containing foods)

Quotes:

It happens that gelatin is a protein which contains no tryptophan, and only small amounts of cysteine, methionine, and histidine. Using gelatin as a major dietary protein is an easy way to restrict the amino acids that are associated with many of the problems of aging.

A generous supply of glycine/gelatin, against a balanced background of amino acids, has a great variety of antistress actions. Glycine is recognized as an “inhibitory” neurotransmitter, and promotes natural sleep. Used as a supplement, it has helped to promote recovery from strokes and seizures, and to improve learning and memory. But in every type of cell, it apparently has the same kind of quieting, protective antistress action. The range of injuries produced by an excess of tryptophan and serotonin seems to be prevented or corrected by a generous supply of glycine. Fibrosis, free radical damage, inflammation, cell death from ATP depletion or calcium overload, mitochondrial damage, diabetes, etc., can be prevented or alleviated by glycine.

Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals. For example, skin is a rich source of steroid hormones, and cartilage contains “Mead acid,” which is itself antiinflammatory.

Gelatin and glycine have recently been reported to facilitate the action of insulin in lowering blood sugar and alleviating diabetes. Gelatin has been used successfully to treat diabetes for over 100 years (A. Guerard, Ann Hygiene 36, 5, 1871; H. Brat, Deut. Med. Wochenschrift 28 (No. 2), 21, 1902). Glycine inhibits lipolysis (another antiexcitatory, “antiestrogenic” effect), and this in itself will make insulin more effective, and help to prevent hyperglycemia. (A gelatin-rich diet can also lower the serum triglycerides.) Since persistent lipolysis and insulin resistance, along with a generalized inflammatory state, are involved in a great variety of diseases, especially in the degenerative diseases, it's reasonable to consider using glycine/gelatin for almost any chronic problem. (Chicken foot soup has been used in several cultures for a variety of ailments; chicken foot powder has been advocated as a stimulant for spinal cord regeneration--Harry Robertson's method was stopped by the FDA).

Skin cells and nerve cells and many other cells are “electrically” stabilized by glycine, and this effect is currently being described in terms of a “chloride current.” A variety of mechanisms have been proposed for the protective effects of some of the amino acids, based on their use as energy or for other metabolic purpose, but there is evidence that glycine and alanine act protectively without being metabolized, simply by their physical properties.

A small dose of glycine taken shortly after suffering a stroke was found to accelerate recovery, preventing the spreading of injury through its inhibitory and antiinflammatory actions. Its nerve-stabilizing action, increasing the amount of stimulation required to activate nerves, is protective in epilepsy, too. This effect is important in the regulation of sleep, breathing, and heart rhythm.

If a person eats a large serving of meat, it's probably helpful to have 5 or 10 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time, so that the amino acids enter the blood stream in balance

Asian grocery stores are likely to sell some of the traditional gelatin-rich foods, such as prepared pig skin and ears and tails, and chicken feet.

Although the prepared powdered gelatin doesn't require any cooking, dissolving it in hot water makes it digest a little more quickly. It can be incorporated into custards, mousses, ice cream, soups, sauces, cheese cake, pies, etc., or mixed with fruit juices to make desserts or (with juice concentrate) candies.

Although pure glycine has its place as a useful and remarkably safe drug, it shouldn't be thought of as a food, because manufactured products are always likely to contain peculiar contaminants.

Source: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

Now after reading all this, I am seriously considering adding gelatin to my regimen! how about you?
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Adding gelatin to the regimen Empty Re: Adding gelatin to the regimen

Post  abc123 Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 am

I eat about 80g of it a day. In my experience it's great stuff.

abc123

Back to top Go down

Post  magic_gro Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:50 am

i think i get my 80g a day in form of capsules (and i mean the capsule around anything else i take =)
magic_gro
magic_gro

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 am

magic_gro wrote:i think i get my 80g a day in form of capsules (and i mean the capsule around anything else i take =)

I wonder if that's enough.
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  RisingFist Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:37 am

[Low dosage retinol and L-cystine combination improve alopecia of the diffuse type following long-term oral administration].
[Article in German]
Hertel H, Gollnick H, Matthies C, Baumann I, Orfanos CE.
Source
Universitäts-Hautklinik und Poliklinik, Freien Universität Berlin.
Abstract
In a pilot study (I) the efficacy of a new combination therapy for hair loss of the diffuse type was tested in 36 patients, followed by a double blind study with 47 patients. The daily dosage was 18,000 IE retinol, 70 mg L-cystine and 7000 mg gelatin. The clinical efficacy was evaluated by standard methods, such as the preparation of trichograms and measurement of the hair density before and after treatment. The pilot study demonstrated a significant improvement, with reduction of the telogen rate by 8.3%, an increase of the anagen rate by 11%, and an increase of the hair density by 6.9%. In the double blind study (II) the trichogram showed a significant decrease of the telogen rate by 13.5% compared with pathological baseline values. There was no change in the placebo group. The lowered anagen rate of 47.2% was improved by 8%, whereas the mean value in the placebo group decreased from 47.7% to 39.9%. In addition, the percentage of dysplastic anagen hairs improved by 7.4%, as against further impairment with an increase of 26% in the placebo group. During oral therapy no systemic side-effects were detected. We conclude that long-term oral therapy with high doses of L-cystine and gelatin in combination with vitamin A may have beneficial effects on diffuse hair loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2676911

RisingFist

Back to top Go down

Post  teacup Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:37 am

Gelatin and Silica .. they in theory should help
if you cant get gelatin make beef broth i think the bones and joints have that in it
teacup
teacup

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:06 pm

My hair has gotten longer and stronger since I've been taking 2 tblsp/day of gelatin, Great Lakes brand.

All these pages mention the hair benefits as well as other good results with gelatin:

http://www.savorylotus.com/2013/05/22/gelatin-do-you-know-this-superfood/
http://www.diynatural.com/benefits-of-gelatin-in-your-diet/
http://wellnessmama.com/7419/12-uses-for-gelatin/
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  NYJets Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:59 pm

delphine you are a female correct?
NYJets
NYJets

Back to top Go down